Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 29 Friday, 29 October 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Can an accordion be tuned? Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said "tmbg suck" Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said "tmbg suck"was Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said "tmbg suck"was Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was Re: TMBG: Re: really long topic Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was Re: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was Re:TM Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was Re: TMBG: Tennessee and On Earth My Nina (was: that stupid thread with a long ti Re: TMBG: Tennessee and On Earth My Nina (was: that stupid thread with a NON TMBG: Apology TMBG: Tons O' TMBG comments (+Trivia Answer ..finally!) Re: TMBG: Tons O' TMBG comments (+Trivia Answer ..finally!) Re: TMBG: Storyopolis TMBG: Bowery pics Re: TMBG: Can an accordion be tuned? Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg TMBG: Re: Linnell State Songs Interview Re: TMBG: Storyopolis Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell State Songs Interview Re: TMBG: Can an accordion be tuned? -Reply Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was Re: Re: TMBG: Tennessee and On Earth My Nina (was: that stupid thread with a lon Re: TMBG: Tennessee and On Earth My Nina (was: that stupid thread with a lon TMBG: They Might Be Science NON-TMBG: Off to sail the seven seas ... TMBG: It's a TMBG Halloween! Re: TMBG: They Might Be Science Re: TMBG: They Might Be Science TMBG: Harmless additive or government conspiracy? Re: TMBG: It's a TMBG Halloween! Re: TMBG: Harmless additive or government conspiracy? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <38177D3C.F8294514@fruhead.com> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:31:24 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Can an accordion be tuned? Adrienne Spruill wrote: > A general rule of thumb...anything...and i mean that...can be tuned by > shaving, cutting, pushing or pulling, you just run the risk of breaking > it thats all. :o) idea number 1: I am *soooooooooo* not going to go there. idea number 2: I wonder if I could tune my vocal chords that way? idea number 3: Haven't you ever wondered what people are *really* doing when they incessantly click a pen in and out? idea number 4: Most objects become flat when you file them down. Reeds and strings become sharp. idea number 5: There are a remarkable number of people in the world whose tires need "tuning," don't you think? idea number 6: There is noooooooooooooooooo idea 6. idea number 7: have you ever tried to tune a fish? -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.4f3e35a.2548da63@aol.com> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:44:51 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said "tmbg suck" In a message dated 10/27/99 5:24:04 PM, zaph@fruhead.com writes: > > >No, but the incessant happiness that everyone on the OT list seems to rave > >about gets really old really fast. Howabout honesty? Did that ever occur >to > >anyone? what, the FUCK, lawrence. you've never been on the list, so don't even start critisizing it with details you're making up in your head. where do you get off even THINKING that it's full of lies? you have no clue to ANY discussion on it. what the hell kinda bullshit is that? AGGH ... >To be honest about their opinions and feelings, rather than covering > >them up and saying "Everything's fine?" dear god, boy, you have some problems. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38178404.31D9F4D7@fruhead.com> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:00:20 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said "tmbg suck"was LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > what, the FUCK, lawrence. you've never been on the list, so don't even start > critisizing it with details you're making up in your head. where do you get > off even THINKING that it's full of lies? you have no clue to ANY discussion > on it. what the hell kinda bullshit is that? AGGH ... I wasn't talking about that list. I was talking about *this* one, where people are suggesting that we don't speak our opinions because they might be too negative. No, I haven't been on the other list. I don't know what goes on there, and I'm not saying that people aren't honest there. But that sure seems to be what they're suggesting. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <381785AB.8138B461@fruhead.com> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:07:23 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said "tmbg suck"was lawrence solomon wrote: > I wasn't talking about that list. I was talking about *this* one, where > people are suggesting that we don't speak our opinions because they might be > too negative. No, I haven't been on the other list. I don't know what goes > on there, and I'm not saying that people aren't honest there. Actually, I was talking about that list, but only as it is presented to this list. What I'm saying is that people from that list have been on here and said how wonderful and happy everyone over there is, effectively comparing it to this list, where they seem to believe that people posting criticism of something they generally like is out of line. I just think the people who insist that it's such a wonderfully happy place might have their priorities on these matters out of order - yes, it's nice when everything is positive, but the impression they're giving me is that people shouldn't ever not be positive, regardless of what they think. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.7a4180e5.2548e038@aol.com> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:09:44 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said In a message dated 10/27/99 6:00:43 PM, zaph@fruhead.com writes: >I wasn't talking about that list. I was talking about *this* one, where > >people are suggesting that we don't speak our opinions because they might >be > >too negative. No, I haven't been on the other list. I don't know what >goes > >on there, and I'm not saying that people aren't honest there. > > then why in the damn hell did you write: >No, but the incessant happiness that everyone on the OT list seems to rave > >about gets really old really fast. Howabout honesty? Did that ever occur >to > >anyone? ? sarah ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.aae776fa.2548e18a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:15:22 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said In a message dated 10/27/99 6:07:30 PM, zaph@fruhead.com writes: >I just think the people who insist that it's such a wonderfully happy place > >might have their priorities on these matters out of order - yes, it's nice > >when everything is positive, but the impression they're giving me is that > >people shouldn't ever not be positive, regardless of what they think. > this is RIDICULOUS. i could say exactly what i said in my last post (to which you replied that you were talking about this list, and then sent another reply saying you weren't) .... this is the LAST POST i'm going to make on this whole matter. my *last* post would have been my last post, but i can't let this one go un... replied to. you sir, make NO sense. priorities my ass. if you can't take people having a good time without you, leave it alone. feelin' like lewis black, sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38178DC8.BB5CAF00@fruhead.com> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:42:00 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > this is RIDICULOUS. i could say exactly what i said in my last post (to > which you replied that you were talking about this list, and then sent > another reply saying you weren't) .... this is the LAST POST i'm going to > make on this whole matter. my *last* post would have been my last post, but > i can't let this one go un... replied to. you sir, make NO sense. > priorities my ass. if you can't take people having a good time without you, > leave it alone. um, somehow, somewhere along the line, one of us is vastly misinterpreting everything the other is saying. (quite possibly both of us - I'm sure it must be very amusing to those of you out there who haven't ignored this thread already :) I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to have a good time without me, or shouldn't be able to have a good time with me. But I still think that putting having a good time above discussing what we all subscribed to this list to discuss is kind of backwards. And the whole idea behind the offtopic list, whether it still is what it originally was (wasn't it originally supposed to be so people *could* talk about things other than tmbg and not feel bad about it - not that I thought it was any problem that non-tmbg topics came up here, either, but still) it seems now (at least the way some of its members describe it here) to be just an alternative to the tmbg-list for people who don't want to see criticism of tmbg or anything else for that matter, because that would be negative, and negative is always bad. that's absurd. it's like saying "Your opinion isn't the same as mine, so I'm not going to listen to you anymore. At all. Even if you say something I do agree with." What's the point of being on a list called the "tmbg-list" if you're not willing to see multiple opinions about them? If people on the offtopic list still manage to share their displeasure with certain aspects of tmbg's career, I'd be extremely surprised if the reaction there is any different from the one here from the same people. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38178E59.E8A0A2F9@fruhead.com> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:44:25 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > then why in the damn hell did you write: > > >No, but the incessant happiness that everyone on the OT list seems to rave > > > >about gets really old really fast. Howabout honesty? Did that ever occur > >to > > > >anyone? > > ? read *carefully* what I wrote. "the incessant happiness that everyone on the OT list seems to rave about." Not the incessant happiness I've seen there, because I haven't been there. But the incessant happiness that people on this list talk about existing on the other list. I was talking about that type of incessant happiness. Not necessarily as it applies to one list or the other, but just as it's described on this list. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:17:19 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: really long topic Message-ID: <19991027.201719.-393627.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > I'm sure it must > be very amusing to those of you out there who haven't ignored this > thread already :) i'm pretty entermused with the fact that my review of the bowery shows has led to :::this::: *shrug* "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991028042101.33183.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was Re: Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 23:21:00 CDT >read *carefully* what I wrote. "the incessant happiness that >everyone on >the >OT list seems to rave about." Not the incessant happiness I've seen > >there, >because I haven't been there. But the incessant happiness that >people on >this >list talk about existing on the other list. > >I was talking about that type of incessant happiness. Not >necessarily as >it >applies to one list or the other, but just as it's described on this >list. >-- > lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com > "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. > I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ Lawrence "Pathetic" Solomon, if I *ever* see your ass in a dark alley, I will _not_ hesitate to give you a smiley. You suck. Your exhaustive, seemingly indefatigable hypocrisy, unfounded anger and inane childish argument tactics are really starting to piss me off. Shut up. -Kristina "Don't Block The Box" Panos ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3817D380.E03C8DF8@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 00:39:28 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" wrote: > Lawrence "Pathetic" Solomon, if I *ever* see your ass in a dark alley, I > will _not_ hesitate to give you a smiley. You suck. Your exhaustive, did you really miss my point so badly that you consider that a threat? since you apparently did, I'll reiterate it and try to make myself perfectly clear. That king of *incessant* happiness that has been described to me over and over. Not happiness in general. Not people who walk around smiling because they're happy. But the attitude that *everything* is always perfect and there's never anything worth saying anything that might possibly be construed as negative about. That is what I mean by "incessant" happiness. Contrary to what you may think, I'm normally a pretty happy and reasonable person. (sometimes bitter about certain things, sometimes angry at others, but not usually) But I will *NOT* hesitate to speak my mind about something that bugs me if it comes up in the conversation at hand. Sure, I'm not just going to randomly send a message to the list saying how I think that it or tmbg have gone downhill. There would be little point to that unless I were trying to start a flamewar. However, I will continue to participate in discussions where I have an opinion. Is that so wrong? > seemingly indefatigable hypocrisy, unfounded anger and inane childish > argument tactics are really starting to piss me off. huh? responding to a message where I'm personally attacked and attempting to defend myself is childish? -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199910280458.AAA33986@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 00:58:39 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg At 11:21 PM 10/27/1999 -0500, Reverend Kristina K. Panos wrote: >Lawrence "Pathetic" Solomon, if I *ever* see your ass in a dark alley, I >will _not_ hesitate to give you a smiley. You suck. Your exhaustive, >seemingly indefatigable hypocrisy, unfounded anger and inane childish >argument tactics are really starting to piss me off. > >Shut up. > >-Kristina "Don't Block The Box" Panos :( Can we PLEASE take this whole thread off-list? I'm very sick of it and I'm sure I'm not alone. --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <381792F2.B2C5391D@tc.umn.edu> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 00:04:02 +0000 From: Matthew Schempp Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was Re:TMBG: TMBG Suck! Alright, I've had about enough...This has to be the stupidist thread that I haven't started (you don't want to know.) First off, Nicholas Wolf, you deserve have your alladvantage account deactivitated. But I won't, even though you did pull a mass spam, something that is discouraged by Alladvantage.com ITSELF. Plus, it's just plain rude. Just don't do it again, neh? Second off, Lawrence, I have something to say to you. You're point has been made. We understand what you are trying to say. At least I do. And, I assume that others may comprehend as well. And, well, the ones that don't, don't want to. So stop encouraging them. Shut the hell up, ok? Third off, this goes to everybody, stop encouraging Lawrence. I've only got half a gigabyte of memory left, so can't handle this many posts every day... Fourth off, Did anybody care that I did post an interpretation of "Tennessee?" And finally, fifth off, I've got a challenge. Does anybody know the lyrics to "On Earth My Nina?" I've been trying to figure it out, but all I've got is the third line. (it's "on earth my nina," in case you were wondering. :-)) MadS ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991028050151.96216.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was Re: Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 00:01:51 CDT >:( Can we PLEASE take this whole thread off-list? I'm very sick of it and >I'm sure I'm not alone. > >--Jason-- That was my point, more or less. :) Rainbows, lollipops, headbutts, Kristina "A-B-C-D-E-F-Q" Panos ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991028051739.75698.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Tennessee and On Earth My Nina (was: that stupid thread with a long title) Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 22:17:39 PDT Matthew Schempp wrote: >Fourth off, Did anybody care that I did post an interpretation of >"Tennessee?" It was interesting. I didn't have any specific comments on it, though. Really, it's a sad but true fact that interpretations rarely get any comment at all, unless it's something along the lines of "That interpretation is totally wrong! Stop reading hidden meanings into it!" >And finally, fifth off, I've got a challenge. Does anybody know the lyrics >to "On >Earth My Nina?" I've been trying to figure it out, but all I've got is the >third >line. (it's "on earth my nina," in case you were wondering. :-)) This has been discussed before, but you might have missed it. To the best of my knowledge (and I welcome additions or corrections, but NOT flames): Her burden of things walking out Her burden of things walking out On Earth my Nina On Earth my Nina God forbid a vaguer feat National hell mock me Say the sparrow wants a morbid arrow Here's a quarter; that's the one I want Maybe I'll buy the whirlwind That always keeps me yearning Her sitter's down there mourning Her burden of things walking out Her burden of things walking out On Earth my Nina On Earth my Nina -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3817DF9F.77028785@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 01:31:11 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Tennessee and On Earth My Nina (was: that stupid thread with a Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > This has been discussed before, but you might have missed it. To the best > of my knowledge (and I welcome additions or corrections, but NOT flames): I think it was mentioned on the newsgroup (or was it here?) some discussions get blurry because they appear in both places. I also welcome additions or corrections, but not flames, although I seem to invite them anyway. :) > Her burden of things walking out > Her burden of things walking out > On Earth my Nina > On Earth my Nina > God forbid a vaguer feat > National hell mock me for some reason whenever I listen to this I always want to hear "headline" after "national" and it almost is... the wonders of common phrases forcing their way into people's minds. or not. I might be the only person who keeps expecting that. there's another song that does that, too, and I have just completely forgotten what it was. > Say the sparrow wants a morbid arrow hmm. I suppose "say the sparrow wants some more bid arrow" doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it? > Here's a quarter; that's the one I want there's an extra random syllable tacked on to the end of this line, but that might be a vocalization just intended to make it sound a little better backwards. > Maybe I'll buy the whirlwind > That always keeps me yearning > Her sitter's down there mourning > Her burden of things walking out > Her burden of things walking out > On Earth my Nina > On Earth my Nina well, there's the hidden bit afterwards that's even more nonsensical sounding... the only words I can make out in that are "spitting" and "contest." :) but I kind of wonder what Linnell was thinking when he made this... in a way, it's nonsense, because he's just imitating the backwards sounds from Thunderbird reversed (I actually reversed it and it's kind of scary how well he did that!) but it certainly does seem like he tried to find words that also closely resembled the backwards sounds (since it's technically impossible to perfectly replicate a backwards sound because the timbre is backwards, too) Plus it sounds like it was done in one take (unlike Dinner Bell which must have taken them at least a hundred attempts because it's so amazingly well done) hmmm. now to find some wacky interpretation of this song that doesn't involve "it's just Thunderbird backwards." :) strangely, it actually seems like it *could* make sense. In some... strange... twisted way... -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001301bf2109$72ab1460$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: NON TMBG: Apology Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 23:58:24 -0600 I sent my last email in an attempt to contribute to the discussion, not as an attempt to spam out my alladvantage stuff. However, I will apologize anyway. To anyone who's upset at me for that, I'm sorry. It won't happen again. All that junk has been removed from my sig file. I didn't expect anyone would take it seriously, anyway. Signed, Nick Wolf ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3818417E.3475FD9D@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 05:28:54 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Tons O' TMBG comments (+Trivia Answer ..finally!) I've just caught up with the last couple of digests and I have a few comments about recent topics: State Songs--- Extremely enjoyable! There's really nothing out there like it (except TMBG of course.) In response to the little poll on favorite song from the CD ... Well, when I heard the Hello version the first time Maine really stood out but then I realized SC was my fave and after a year and a half since first hearing it I'm not even close to getting bored with it. And I've always loved PA. Of the new songs, Montana is the glowing gem but Sot50S and Illinois aren't far behind. Actually the whole album is musically and lyrically fun and intriguing. And by the way, Karen's review of the Linnell in-store appearance was very entertaining and well written. She's not the only one who contributes great stuff but that post really stood out. I'd like to thank everyone that takes the time to share TMBG news, reviews, anecdotes and opinions (instead of lazily posting off topic one-liners.) Michael Shelley--- I was neither thrilled or bored with his act. I would have to hear his recorded works before I could give an opinion. (Though I don't feel compelled to buy one of his CDs.) He did seem a tad arrogant when I saw him play at the L.A. HOB show in '98. (Of course many of the concert goers were outright rude with their hecklings.) TMBG complaints--- I support list members' right to criticize any aspect of TMBG as long as they can articulate themselves beyond "they suck" and that the debate sticks to TMBG and doesn't degenerate into a personal argument. Linnell in L.A.--- I'll be at the Troubadour show but I just heard about this Nov 20 "Storyopolis" thing today. What is "Storyopolis" anyway? A record store? (Sounds like a children's bookstore.) Any more details anyone? Finally, I just realized I never gave my answer to my trivia question from a few days back. (About an Alice Cooper reference in a TMBG song BESIDES "Why Must I Be Sad". ) The answer is "Welcome to the Jungle". Compare it's lyrics to Alice's "Welcome to My Nightmare". Both songs have the words "welcome to...." followed soon after by "I think you're gonna like it". I don't think that's coincidence considering that Linnell would later write an entire Alice cooper themed song. Nightmare came out in 1975. I'm not sure of how old Linnell is but he was probably in his teens. Alternative (or even New Wave) music wasn't around yet. He had to be listening to SOMETHING. I'm not saying he was necessarily a fan of Alice but his music seems to have stuck in his mind all these years. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.378cb07f.2549b889@aol.com> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:32:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Tons O' TMBG comments (+Trivia Answer ..finally!) In a message dated 10/28/99 8:26:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: << And by the way, Karen's review of the Linnell in-store appearance was very entertaining and well written. She's not the only one who contributes great stuff but that post really stood out. I'd like to thank everyone that takes the time to share TMBG news, reviews, anecdotes and opinions (instead of lazily posting off topic one-liners.) >> Thank so much to everybody who has complimented me on these reviews :-) ...I do it all for you guys (I want you to share in my experience somewhat if you can't be there, or use them as a reference if you can't remember something from the show/s) I send copies of them all to tmbg.net, so Jish and Austin can put them up there on the site. Karen "I'm not done talking yet..." Riley ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d366261d.2549bbdc@aol.com> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:46:52 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Storyopolis In a message dated 10/28/99 8:26:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: << Linnell in L.A.--- I'll be at the Troubadour show but I just heard about this Nov 20 "Storyopolis" thing today. What is "Storyopolis" anyway? A record store? (Sounds like a children's bookstore.) Any more details anyone? >> It is like a book and arts complex, I believe...there is an auditorium there, where Linnell will be performing. Victoria Jackson (of SNL fame), will be on right before him, doing ukulele songs :-) Storyopolis has a fantastic website, and John is already written down in their online "calendar of public events" (in the Auditorium section of the website). Sounds like it will be a fun show...whoever's going, have fun, and if you can, pass along a setlist/review of the show to us, we'd love to read it! Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: <0.3283637d.2549cde7@aol.com> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 12:03:51 EDT Subject: TMBG: Bowery pics I also took some Bowery pics. You can find them at http://members.tripod.com/JJRRutgers/bowery.html. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 12:36:22 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38187B86.217F2@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Can an accordion be tuned? Has anyone everl told you that you have a rather interesting sense of humor? -A lawrence solomon wrote: > > Adrienne Spruill wrote: > > > A general rule of thumb...anything...and i mean that...can be tuned by > > shaving, cutting, pushing or pulling, you just run the risk of breaking > > it thats all. :o) > > idea number 1: I am *soooooooooo* not going to go there. > > idea number 2: I wonder if I could tune my vocal chords that way? > > idea number 3: Haven't you ever wondered what people are *really* doing when > they incessantly click a pen in and out? > > idea number 4: Most objects become flat when you file them down. Reeds and > strings become sharp. > > idea number 5: There are a remarkable number of people in the world whose > tires need "tuning," don't you think? > > idea number 6: There is noooooooooooooooooo idea 6. > > idea number 7: have you ever tried to tune a fish? > -- > lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com > "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. > I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 12:42:24 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38187CF0.5328E34@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg Nope, you're not alone. -A > > :( Can we PLEASE take this whole thread off-list? I'm very sick of it and > I'm sure I'm not alone. > > --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 12:58:22 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <7v9v0h$1nj6$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Linnell State Songs Interview > >I did this interview for my school newspaper a few weeks back. It will be >on tmbg.net with the next update (in RealAudio), but until then here it is. >Sorry if this is too long.... if you have any comments, please contact me >off-list! Enjoy: Wow! That's the best Linnell interview I've heard in some time. Lot's of good well-informed questions. I just hate it when someone asks "So what's that Particle Guy song all about? Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:21:56 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: Storyopolis Karen wrote: >Sounds like it will be a fun show...whoever's going, have fun, and if >you can, pass along a setlist/review of the show to us, we'd love >to read it! Yep, I'll be there, watching the show and trying to get stuff signed. I'll try to remember as much as I can, because...well, later that night I'm seeing Stereolab, and then Monday night is the Troubadour show, for which I already have tickets. But I'll try to throw together a review/setlist for both. Spencer. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <0.ead82bf2.254a019a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:44:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell State Songs Interview >I did this interview for my school newspaper a few weeks back. It will be >on tmbg.net with the next update (in RealAudio), but until then here it is. >Sorry if this is too long.... if you have any comments, please contact me >off-list! Enjoy: >Wow! That's the best Linnell interview I've heard in some time. Lot's of >good well-informed questions. I just hate it when someone asks "So what's >that Particle Guy song all about? Somehow I missed this interview. I guess I deleted it when I was going through all the flame mail in my mail box (ahem!). Since I don't have the address of the person who originally sent it, could someone out there repost it or e-mail it to me, or give me the e-mail of the guy who first sent it? Thanks. ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 20:35:11 +0100 Subject: Re: TMBG: Can an accordion be tuned? -Reply No, but I've tried a tuna fish! Richard lawrence solomon wrote: > > idea number 7: have you ever tried to tune a fish? > -- > lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com > "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. > I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991028230502.51220.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian Power" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was Re: Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:05:02 EDT I agree!! I just delete it as soon as I see it! ----Original Message Follows---- From: Jason Fickley Reply-To: Jason Fickley To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bridget was the first person here who said"tmbg suck"was Re: TMBG: TMBG Suck! Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 00:58:39 -0400 At 11:21 PM 10/27/1999 -0500, Reverend Kristina K. Panos wrote: >Lawrence "Pathetic" Solomon, if I *ever* see your ass in a dark alley, I >will _not_ hesitate to give you a smiley. You suck. Your exhaustive, >seemingly indefatigable hypocrisy, unfounded anger and inane childish >argument tactics are really starting to piss me off. > >Shut up. > >-Kristina "Don't Block The Box" Panos :( Can we PLEASE take this whole thread off-list? I'm very sick of it and I'm sure I'm not alone. --Jason-- ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991028230808.29404.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian Power" Subject: Re: TMBG: Tennessee and On Earth My Nina (was: that stupid thread with a long Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:08:07 EDT This Looks pretty cool, but isn't there something between "National Hell" and "Mocks me?" Something like "who" or "you?" So what's gonna happen to Chess Piece Face? -Ian Power ----Original Message Follows---- From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Tennessee and On Earth My Nina (was: that stupid thread with a long title) Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 22:17:39 PDT Matthew Schempp wrote: >Fourth off, Did anybody care that I did post an interpretation of >"Tennessee?" It was interesting. I didn't have any specific comments on it, though. Really, it's a sad but true fact that interpretations rarely get any comment at all, unless it's something along the lines of "That interpretation is totally wrong! Stop reading hidden meanings into it!" >And finally, fifth off, I've got a challenge. Does anybody know the lyrics >to "On >Earth My Nina?" I've been trying to figure it out, but all I've got is the >third >line. (it's "on earth my nina," in case you were wondering. :-)) This has been discussed before, but you might have missed it. To the best of my knowledge (and I welcome additions or corrections, but NOT flames): Her burden of things walking out Her burden of things walking out On Earth my Nina On Earth my Nina God forbid a vaguer feat National hell mock me Say the sparrow wants a morbid arrow Here's a quarter; that's the one I want Maybe I'll buy the whirlwind That always keeps me yearning Her sitter's down there mourning Her burden of things walking out Her burden of things walking out On Earth my Nina On Earth my Nina -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991029001009.39045.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Tennessee and On Earth My Nina (was: that stupid thread with a long Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:10:09 PDT Ian Power wrote: >This Looks pretty cool, but isn't there something between "National Hell" >and "Mocks me?" Something like "who" or "you?" Perhaps. I don't hear an S at the end of "mock," though. And it might be "the one I won," rather than "the one I want." >This has been discussed before, but you might have missed it. To the best >of my knowledge (and I welcome additions or corrections, but NOT flames): > >Her burden of things walking out >Her burden of things walking out >On Earth my Nina >On Earth my Nina >God forbid a vaguer feat >National hell mock me >Say the sparrow wants a morbid arrow >Here's a quarter; that's the one I want >Maybe I'll buy the whirlwind >That always keeps me yearning >Her sitter's down there mourning >Her burden of things walking out >Her burden of things walking out >On Earth my Nina >On Earth my Nina -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <0.5a071aa2.254a43db@aol.com> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 20:27:07 EDT Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Science If it wasn't enough that I taught my 4th graders WDTSS, one of them told the woman leading the Planetarium exhibit today "well, the sun is a mass of incandescent gas and 100000 earths can fit in it even though it's middle sized"... I was so proud, and thankful for TMBG for bringing to us of such a great song from the past. Later, we were in the Sound room of the Science Center and one of my kids said "Isn't this the sun band?" and there was "Istanbul, not constantinople" in an exhibit on recordings and radio over the last century. Cheers! ps. it is understandable if no one responds to this as a thread, but if you read it please respond to me privately as I am getting the feeling that no one is reading my posts. If that's how it is, I'll just go on reading and not writing. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:56:45 -0400 Subject: NON-TMBG: Off to sail the seven seas ... Message-ID: <19991028.092924.-698533.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: Capn eriKa rae Well, I'm shoving off, me mateys. I've sat through my last absurd argument, and the fun is pretty much gone. And so, like a rat fleeing a sinking pirate ship, I depart to my haven of the Offtopic List, where we're all a bunch of happy, emotionless liars. But I'll be sure to send a postcard when I take over MTV and force them to play Dr. Worm. ^_^ But then again, They do suck pretty bad. ever-sincere, eriKa, yo ho ho and a bottle o rum! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now, and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to saying smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003f01bf21b9$0d210f40$9dcd9bcf@aah1084access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: TMBG: It's a TMBG Halloween! Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 22:55:23 -0400 Hi there everyone. In an effort to draw attention away from any flame wars that might be going on right now, I wonder if anyone has a TMBG-related Halloween costume this year? I got my idea from someone on this list a few years ago, and I went as a constellation. (Today was our dress-up day at work.) No one seemed to understand why I kept saying I was just a girl made of dots and lines, but it was a neat costume anyway. I wore a black sweatsuit with battery-powered white Christmas lights poking out of it. Very cool in the dark. So, anyone else? Anything inspired by another favorite band, or just a cool costume idea? Amy :) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <0.65aaa61e.254a6bbf@aol.com> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 23:17:19 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Science In a message dated 99-10-28 20:31:18 EDT, you write: << and there was "Istanbul, not constantinople" in an exhibit on recordings and radio over the last century. >> Huh... what did the museum piece thing have to say about Them? Or did it just say "this is by TMBG?" I'm curious as to how, aside from kicking ass, TMBG is considered historically important... ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <0.b0001243.254a6cc6@aol.com> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 23:21:42 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Science In a message dated 99-10-28 23:20:16 EDT, you write: << Huh... what did the museum piece thing have to say about Them? Or did it just say "this is by TMBG?" I'm curious as to how, aside from kicking ass, TMBG is considered historically important... Or was it the original 4 Lads version? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:50:31 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Harmless additive or government conspiracy? Message-ID: Hey gang So I got my copy of State Songs today, and I it, but that's a different story. When I opened my CD and extracted the CD, I noticed an... item... trapped between the clear plastic CD tray and the tray art. It's about 3 cm by 1 cm and consists of two small metal strips enclosed in a thin plastic box-like structure. Whazzit? Am I the only one to get this prize? I don't think the store is involved; I've bought *many* CDs from them and never seen this. Plus it didn't beep or anything as I took it out the door. Plus it was encased in shrinkwrap, the sticker across the CD case, and the tray itself--not something the store could place or remove easily. Any thoughts, anyone? --nicole twn *** "I'm going down to where my angels live..."--Peter Mulvey Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org carlsonn@seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991029050333.19920.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah's Madness" Subject: Re: TMBG: It's a TMBG Halloween! Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 22:03:33 PDT >Hi there everyone. In an effort to draw attention away from any flame wars >that >might be going on right now, I wonder if anyone has a TMBG-related >Halloween >costume this year? I'm going as an angel....the angel of Death, but still an angel. :) if anyone throws themselves off a building in my vicinity, i'll be sure to report.... sarah faye-->lurk o rama ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002701bf21d0$b5161260$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: Re: TMBG: Harmless additive or government conspiracy? Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 23:44:46 -0600 The metal strips in the plastic casing were, you guessed it, anti-theft devices. They are placed inside the shrinkwrap upon request by retail stores. The reason it didn't beep on the way out was prolly that it had been deactivated at the cash register. I used to work at K-Mart *shudder* and saw that sort of thing all the time. Anyway...now back to your regularly scheduled programming. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico..and I'm not even selling anything this time. ----- Original Message ----- From: Nicole Carlson To: Sent: Thursday, October 28, 1999 10:50 PM Subject: TMBG: Harmless additive or government conspiracy? > Hey gang > > So I got my copy of State Songs today, and I it, but that's a > different story. > When I opened my CD and extracted the CD, I noticed an... item... trapped > between the clear plastic CD tray and the tray art. It's about 3 cm by 1 > cm and consists of two small metal strips enclosed in a thin plastic > box-like structure. Whazzit? Am I the only one to get this prize? I > don't think the store is involved; I've bought *many* CDs from them and > never seen this. Plus it didn't beep or anything as I took it out the > door. Plus it was encased in shrinkwrap, the sticker across the CD case, > and the tray itself--not something the store could place or remove easily. > Any thoughts, anyone? > > --nicole twn > > *** > "I'm going down to where my angels live..."--Peter Mulvey > Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn > nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org carlsonn@seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-29 ******************************