Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 3 Sunday, 3 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: LTW cover art TMBG: that article TMBG: Brave New World Re: TMBG: Brave New World TMBG: tony millionaire Re: TMBG: The "q" word (originally: "Article in student newspaper") Re: TMBG: The "q" word (originally: "Article in student newspaper") Re: TMBG: The "q" word (originally: "Article in student newspaper") Re: TMBG: The "q" word (originally: "Article in student newspaper") Re: TMBG: The "q" word (originally: "Article in student newspaper") TMBG: Linnell Show Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Dexter Flansburgh Subject: TMBG: LTW cover art Date: Sat, Oct 2 1999 2:59:58 GMT-0400 Message-Id: <07035109394775@tmbg.org> If anyone is online right now who knows the URL for the site with the front and back cover art for LTW, could you please E-mail me with it right away? It would be much appreciated, thanks! Love? What do you know of love?! Dexter M. Flansburgh * ------------------------------------------------------- Free vanity e-mail at http://www.mailworks.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000e01bf0cb2$0cfa3760$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: that article Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 01:42:23 -0700 "any idiot could write these lyrics" yeah and any idiot could write that article that only half had to do with the actual subect. Plus there was something about there songs being cartoonish or something and how istanbul was later turned into a cartoon short-- well hello nancy boy! tmbg didnt write the song. i dont know what he was talking about with the any idiot could write there lyrics and then turn around and say that its ingenoius, unbashdly thought provoking, humble with a sarcastic wit. ooooookay, which is it??? -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000b01bf0d12$5eb29ec0$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Brave New World Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 13:11:53 -0700 i have little germ and king weed mp3's but does anyone know where i can find the others? -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991002201718.2872.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brave New World Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 13:17:15 PDT eRiCh wrote: >i have little germ and king weed mp3's but does anyone know where i >can >find the others? Well, "Older" is on Long Tall Weekend. I don't know about the other two. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 17:53:54 -0400 Subject: TMBG: tony millionaire Message-ID: <19991002.175355.-318709.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> hey hey, so we all know the cartoonist tony millionaire (he's the one that designed the drinking birds t-shirt for TMBG as well as the cover art for T:TEY). Anyways, I was in a store and as I was walking out there was a rack of free postcards - one of them caught my eye as it had one of tony's drinking birds on it. It's for the NY Press Newspaper... but hey it's pretty groovy. I grabbed the whole stack of 'em and will be more than willing to give 'em to anyone at the bowery shows that wants one... just let me know! :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.ef9f795a.252816f6@aol.com> Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 22:18:30 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The "q" word (originally: "Article in student newspaper") >Gee, what makes you think that? Maybe the fact that it calls the Johns >"idiots" and Their music "stupid"? I think it's sort of like calling someone a little runt with the intention of it being an affectionate insult. You know. They weren't like, "My god, these guys are idiots! Their music is stupid!" You have to take it from context. >I also noticed that the article referred to Their music as "happy." I guess >if you're comparing TMBG music to something done by a doom-and-gloom >death-metal band, it is happy. I think that a lot of people are quick to >call the Johns' music "happy" without really listening to it, though. While >I can't think of very many TMBG songs that are really, totally depressing, >many of them do sound forlorn. Just listen to something like "Dead" or "A >Self Called Nowhere." They're hardly remarkably depressed songs, but they >do convey a somewhat dreary mood. Happy. Flood. FLOOD is happy. 's what they said. Well except for "Twistin'" Which is a little odd that way. But it's like that one song "Santeria" by I'm not sure who. The music is all about poppin' a cap in someone and killing people who stole your girlfriend and so on but the MUSIC is positively BOUNCY :) P.S, I didn't see one thing in that article that said anything BAD about TMBG. And it IS true, at first some of the songs on Flood do SEEM like any idiot could write them. That is part of what is in Their music that just gets you high (Not like the statue!), is that your brain is completely blown away by the fact that such sheer genius was put into these songs, and with such ease. ::Cries:: I WISH I COULD WRITE LIKE THEM!! Lydia Thinking no one could possibly MEAN anything they say about Them to be insulting in any way. Since 1837. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991003023100.7476.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: The "q" word (originally: "Article in student newspaper") Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 19:31:00 PDT Lydia wrote: >Happy. Flood. FLOOD is happy. 's what they said. Well except for > >"Twistin'" What about "Dead," which doesn't even have very happy music? Or "Your Racist Friend"? Sure, the music might be upbeat in that song, but I don't see anything happy about some drunk guy making racist statements. >P.S, I didn't see one thing in that article that said anything BAD >about >TMBG. No, but there were some factual errors. The Johns didn't write "Istanbul," nor did They form in the late eighties. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 23:08:31 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The "q" word (originally: "Article in student newspaper") > What about "Dead," which doesn't even have very happy music? Or "Your > Racist Friend"? Sure, the music might be upbeat in that song, but I don't > see anything happy about some drunk guy making racist statements. No, that's true, but to the not-too-in-depth TMBG critic, who isn't a diehard fan, they still have bouncy melodies. You know. And they're both very singalongable. If you just listened to the general mood of the MUSIC, it's pretty happyshiny. :) And for some reason all their songs, no matter how sad, make me happier. Maybe it's just because I'm listening to my two favorite musicians in the whole world. Ana Ng does make me want to cry though. I have to admit that. Especially the "They don't need me here..." part. But you all know that :) > No, but there were some factual errors. The Johns didn't write "Istanbul," > nor did They form in the late eighties. Like I said, these people obviously weren't real fans. Also... In every bio of Them I have ever seen, at least half the story is always different. They were born in Massachusetts... they were raised in Boston, in Lincoln, in Sudbury... They were born in NY but MOVED to Massachusetts... They went to college together, they went to high school together but went to seperate colleges and then found each other again.... They moved in close to each other by pure coincidence... they got married to each other and lived happily ever aft--- Oh sorry, I don't know how that one got in there... heheee... Lydia Silly and Frivolous Since 1837 ------------------------------ From: Azelma1115@aol.com Message-ID: <31f5cdd0.25282bc3@aol.com> Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 23:47:15 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The "q" word (originally: "Article in student newspaper") Nathan wrote: > What about "Dead," which doesn't even have very happy music? I've always thought that the music from Dead sounded like something you'd gather around the piano and sing with your family. (not that I've ever dome that) > Or "Your > Racist Friend"? Sure, the music might be upbeat in that song, but I don't > see anything happy about some drunk guy making racist statements. Well, they are supposed to be at a party... Beth ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991003044441.77169.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: The "q" word (originally: "Article in student newspaper") Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 21:44:40 PDT Lydia: >If you just listened to the general mood of the MUSIC, it's >pretty happyshiny. That's true, at least on Flood. It's not so much true with, say, John Henry, but that one wasn't being reviewed in that particular article. >And for some reason all their songs, no matter how sad, make me >happier. That's true for me, too. I think music in general can be cheering, though. >Ana Ng does make me want to cry though. Well, crying and happiness are not really incompatible, as you probably know. Beth: >I've always thought that the music from Dead sounded like something >you'd >gather around the piano and sing with your family. You know, it does, I guess. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <007601bf0d5d$866133a0$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Linnell Show Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 22:09:52 -0700 Anyone know if that place in LA has a webpage? i forget what the place is called the triboroaroinocicikdkifkf or something.... -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-3 *****************************