Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 30 Saturday, 30 October 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell State Songs Interview TMBG: John L is an Alice C fan. Re: TMBG: They Might Be Science Re: TMBG: They Might Be Science Re: TMBG: John L is an Alice C fan. TMBG: Re: It's a TMBG Halloween! TMBG: New Linnell Concert Date Re: TMBG: John L is an Alice C fan. Re: TMBG: They Might Be Science TMBG: linny's musicians... TMBG: Flansy in Spin Re: TMBG: Harmless additive or government conspiracy? Re: TMBG: Flansy in Spin Re: TMBG: Re: It's a TMBG Halloween! TMBG: State Songs Impressions Re: TMBG: John L is an Alice C fan. TMBG: Various Replies Re: TMBG: Various Replies NON-TMBG: This is the Road (You Were Spiraling) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.bd751b30.254a9aa0@aol.com> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 02:37:20 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell State Songs Interview In a message dated 10/28/99 2:48:14 PM, MrBean43@aol.com writes: >Somehow I missed this interview. I guess I deleted it when I was going > >through all the flame mail in my mail box (ahem!). Since I don't have >the >address of the person who originally sent it, could someone out there repost > >it or e-mail it to me, or give me the e-mail of the guy who first sent >it? i thought it was just me. i didn't get it either. anyone care to do a repost? sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19991029173008.007ad330@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 17:30:08 +1000 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: John L is an Alice C fan. Sad but true, John Linnell is a fan of Alice Cooper. He shows a disturbing amount of knowledge of Alice's oeuvre in a radio interview I have from 1990. - Ryan *** Last concert seen: GERLING / SPIDERBAIT 20/08/99 Canberra Last CDs purchased: BEASTIE BOYS - Hello Nasty CIBO MATTO - Viva! La Woman THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - Lincoln (French release) ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <0.c5ac159f.254ad58e@aol.com> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 06:48:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Science << and there was "Istanbul, not constantinople" in an exhibit on recordings and radio over the last century. >> Huh... what did the museum piece thing have to say about Them? Or did it just say "this is by TMBG?" I'm curious as to how, aside from kicking ass, TMBG is considered historically important... >> The exhibit was just on how recording quality etc has changed in the last century. They had items from 1886 up to 1990, which was TMBG off of the Flood album. It didn't say really anything about any of the people/groups used; it only named the song and artist and year. Nevertheless, considering TMBG's involvement in areas such as the Edison Museum, I feel they were a great choice. It was good to see them up there with others that might be considered milestones of the century.... plus Teddy Bear's Picnic. :0) Cheers, Marianne ps. thanks to all who showed me that my posts DO in fact get read. ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <0.b000fb5e.254ad5dc@aol.com> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 06:50:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Science In a message dated 10/28/99 11:24:57 PM, Kaylum@aol.com writes: << Or was it the original 4 Lads version? >> Oh, and it did say the song was Written in 1954. In fact, my mother taught it to me when I was a child... ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.485a9701.254b1445@aol.com> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:16:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: John L is an Alice C fan. In a message dated 10/29/99 3:32:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time, s3174923@student.anu.edu.au writes: << Sad but true, John Linnell is a fan of Alice Cooper. He shows a disturbing amount of knowledge of Alice's oeuvre in a radio interview I have from 1990. - Ryan >> Well, I like Alice, too (as well as all of the other stuff John likes)...I was wondering if maybe you could post a transcript of that 1990 interview for us? I'd love to read that! Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:38:19 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <7vcem8$315p$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: It's a TMBG Halloween! This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003B_01BF2202.18FBD720 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Amy : wrote in message = <003f01bf21b9$0d210f40$9dcd9bcf@aah1084access>... Hi there everyone. In an effort to draw attention away from any = flame wars that might be going on right now, I wonder if anyone has a = TMBG-related Halloween costume this year? I got my idea from someone on = this list a few years ago, and I went as a constellation. (Today was = our dress-up day at work.) No one seemed to understand why I kept = saying I was just a girl made of dots and lines, but it was a neat = costume anyway. I wore a black sweatsuit with battery-powered white = Christmas lights poking out of it. Very cool in the dark. So, anyone = else? Anything inspired by another favorite band, or just a cool = costume idea? =20 Amy :) =20 I was trying to convince the wife to go as my lucky ball and chain, = but no dice. =20 Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------=_NextPart_000_003B_01BF2202.18FBD720 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Amy : wrote in message=20 <003f01bf21b9$0d210f40$9dcd9bcf@aah1084access>...
Hi there = everyone.  In=20 an effort to draw attention away from any flame wars that might be = going on=20 right now, I wonder if anyone has a TMBG-related Halloween costume = this=20 year?  I got my idea from someone on this list a few years ago, = and I=20 went as a constellation.  (Today was our dress-up day at = work.) =20 No one seemed to understand why I kept saying I was just a girl made = of dots=20 and lines, but it was a neat costume anyway.  I wore a black = sweatsuit=20 with battery-powered white Christmas lights poking out of it.  = Very=20 cool in the dark.  So, anyone else?  Anything inspired by = another=20 favorite band, or just a cool costume idea?

Amy = :)

I was trying to = convince the=20 wife to go as my lucky ball and chain, but no dice.

Yer Pal = Paul
Not back on=20 that old Time is Money kick, still on=20 it.
------=_NextPart_000_003B_01BF2202.18FBD720-- ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.cfc1d7b2.254b1c30@aol.com> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:50:08 EDT Subject: TMBG: New Linnell Concert Date Hey everybody, John Linnell will be playing a show at The Coach House in San Juan Capistrano, CA on 11/21/99, according to www.rounder.com. Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:58:05 -0400 Message-Id: <199910291158.AA243990846@megahits.com> From: "Lee Steel" Subject: Re: TMBG: John L is an Alice C fan. For all you Alice Cooper fans out there. The calander that was included in the original Killer album from 1972 also happens to fit the year 2000 so you can pull those out and re-use them although MOST of you don't have any idea what I am talking about or perhaps even what an album is. Mr.Lee ps... see u @ the show tonight! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991029193245.17695.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian Power" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Science Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:32:45 EDT hey I was in Global History last year, and guess what song we used to learn about the capital of Turkey! Also, my earth science is a big fan of WDTSS and my biology teacher loves Mammal. So what's gonna happen to Chess Piece Face? -Ian Power ----Original Message Follows---- From: MsTanbul@aol.com Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Science If it wasn't enough that I taught my 4th graders WDTSS, one of them told the woman leading the Planetarium exhibit today "well, the sun is a mass of incandescent gas and 100000 earths can fit in it even though it's middle sized"... I was so proud, and thankful for TMBG for bringing to us of such a great song from the past. Later, we were in the Sound room of the Science Center and one of my kids said "Isn't this the sun band?" and there was "Istanbul, not constantinople" in an exhibit on recordings and radio over the last century. Cheers! ps. it is understandable if no one responds to this as a thread, but if you read it please respond to me privately as I am getting the feeling that no one is reading my posts. If that's how it is, I'll just go on reading and not writing. So what's gonna happen to Chess Piece Face? -Ian Power ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:54:03 -0400 Subject: TMBG: linny's musicians... Message-ID: <19991029.155403.-423375.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> i have a quick question... i was just flipping through the liner notes to Linny's state songs and noticed that Mark Donato was playing drums on a bunch of the tracks --- i left all of my hello cd's in denver so i was wondering if someone that has '95 could check for me and see if that's the name of the guy that was in Spondee with Robin Goldwaser... Also, does anyone have any idea who's going to be on tour with him? hmm... "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:12:29 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Flansy in Spin Message-ID: <19991029.161229.-423375.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey HEY... not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not... on pg. 160 of this month's (november '99) Spin magazine Flansy is quoted in the Sound Bytes section (which is quotes from musicians on mp3s this month): JOHN FLANSBURGH, THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS People from the record industry talk about putting some sort of code on MP3s that wouldnt' let people dupli- cate them, and that seems as appropriate as running into the middle of a rave and telling people to turn the music down. The free exchange is part of the culture. "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:12:03 -0500 From: Laura Message-ID: <3819FF93.CE7EDFEA@connectria.com> Organization: no thank you Subject: Re: TMBG: Harmless additive or government conspiracy? Nicole Carlson wrote: > Hey gang > > So I got my copy of State Songs today, and I it, but that's a > different story. > When I opened my CD and extracted the CD, I noticed an... item... trapped > between the clear plastic CD tray and the tray art. It's about 3 cm by 1 > cm and consists of two small metal strips enclosed in a thin plastic > box-like structure. Whazzit? Am I the only one to get this prize? I did! i was wondering the same thing. I know what Nick's talking about, but I've never seen them on the _inside_ before. Its kinda weird. Laura -- "What's the matter, someone steal the surprise from your cereal?" Too late or soon to make noise about love and there's no time for sorrow Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain till tomorrow ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 17:00:28 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansy in Spin Message-ID: <19991029.170028.-423375.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> oh yeah - wanted to add on that there's a nice big color ad in near the back promoting Mike Viola and the Candy Butchers new album - Fall In Place. check it out! "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d6e57f01.254b6738@aol.com> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 17:10:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: It's a TMBG Halloween! In a message dated 10/29/99 3:58:54 PM, PaulLB@aol.com writes: >Very cool in the dark. So, anyone = >else? Anything inspired by another favorite band, or just a cool = >costume idea? she's a witch! she's a wi-ee-itch! umm... well, i haven't worn a costume since i don't remember when... i guess 9th grade. a friend of mine were to go as a couple characters from kids in the hall, but she backed out of it, (the characters are 2 insane criminal guys that dress in robes and wigs and call themselves sisters... so i just ended up wearing the robe {with clotes underneath!} and a wig for a short time before saying "screw this!") ... since then, i've ended up staying home on halloween. i hand out candy or i sit in my room with my vicious but actually really friendly (she's only 3... she gets wildly curious and insane if anyone's at the door) puppy... *but* ...i'm seeing sloan tomorrow night, and i decided on wearing orange and black. that's about as dressed up as i get. sarah ------------------------------ From: "Charlie Miller" Subject: TMBG: State Songs Impressions Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:50:59 -0500 Message-ID: Hey... I got State Songs Wednesday after a long search throughout town (I did order it, but they didn't get it in). So, I thought I'd tell y'all what I think of it. Summed up in a short phrase, I love it! It has the lyrics of early tmbg, but yet the two are quite different. The keyboard plays a bigger role, I believe, in State Songs. Also, the stuff inside the cover is great, with history and Linnellish observations/humor (example: "The state bird is a terrifying airborne car with gigantic metal talons"). My favorites are South Carolina, Montana, Iowa, and Mississippi. This is a great album! Charlie Miller dirky@tmbg.org http://www.sairinc.com/~dirky ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.4a594ec0.254ba182@aol.com> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 21:18:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: John L is an Alice C fan. > oeuvre Watch your language! Lydia Snicker. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <381A738A.FD342554@pacificnet.net> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 21:26:55 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Various Replies MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: (about concert reviews) >I send copies of them all to tmbg.net, so Jish and Austin can put them up >there on the site. I often post show reviews to this list but I've gotta remember to kill two birds with one review by sending them to tmbg.net also. (And all of you should too!) "Spencer Owen" Yep, I'll be there, watching the show and trying to get stuff signed. I'll try to remember as much as I can, because...well, later >that night I'm seeing Stereolab, and then Monday night is the Troubadour show, for which I >already have tickets. But I'll try to throw together a review/setlist for both. I was thinking about seeing Stereolab that night also until I found out the Linnell in-store was on the same date. I went to storyopolis.com but I couldn't find the mention of Linnell's appearance. Hopefully, its not in the evening. "Amy " wrote: >I wonder if anyone has a TMBG-related Halloween costume this year? >So, anyone else? I'm dressing up as Arkansas. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.11dee968.254bd2a5@aol.com> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 00:48:37 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Various Replies In a message dated 10/30/99 12:23:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: << I was thinking about seeing Stereolab that night also until I found out the Linnell in-store was on the same date. I went to storyopolis.com but I couldn't find the mention of Linnell's appearance. Hopefully, its not in the evening. >> check out the event info at this webpage: http://www.storyopolis.com/audframes2.html Linnell's show is mentioned in the chart at the bottom (the show says 4-6 pm, but part of that is for autograph-signing, I'm sure) Karen :-) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000a01bf2299$5e623ba0$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: NON-TMBG: This is the Road (You Were Spiraling) Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 23:41:09 -0600 Ok, so I downloaded "This is the Road" off of mp3.com, and suddenly inspiration struck me. I've rewritten the song. Now it's about Pokemon. I'd just post it to this list, but I'm sure there are some people who really don't wanna read it, so if you do want to see my creation, email me privately, k? :0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico refund@nmt.edu [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-30 ******************************