Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-31 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 31 Sunday, 31 October 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Harmless additive or government conspiracy? TMBG: State Songs lyrics TMBG: Re:John L is an Alice C fan. TMBG: Re: State Songs lyrics Re: TMBG: State Songs lyrics TMBG: I Can't Wait For My Favorite One. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199910301500.LAA35564@f04n05.cac.psu.edu> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 11:00:57 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Harmless additive or government conspiracy? [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 14:14:33 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7vff4g$1jlj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: State Songs lyrics These are the lyrics for the State Songs not at tmbg.org These were originally posted by someone in the newsgroup about a month ago THE SONGS OF THE 50 STATES The Songs of the Fifty States The Songs of the Fifty States The time for come for us to sing about a certain place Where everything is in the control Of people who are down in a hole The Songs of the Fifty States The Songs of the Fifty States No two alike, but each connected by a golden thread I'll try not to forget all the words And leave that job to those who have heard State Songs State Songs I can't wait for my favorite one I'm not gonna say they're great I ain't gonna say they ain't But I recall and will relate the words and music of the fifty Songs of the Fifty States The Songs of the Fifty States The time is nigh for us to sigh about a certain place Where everything is in the control Of people who are under the ground State Songs State Songs I can't wait for my favorite one I hear the melody, the harmony, the pounding rhythm The ideas, notes, and words Every state a different composition Keeping me awake Late at night Can't get them of my mind State Songs State Songs I can't wait for my favorite one I'm not gonna say they're great I ain't gonna say they ain't But I recall and will relate the words and music of the fifty The Songs of the Fifty States The Songs of the Fifty States The time for come for us to sing about a certain place Where everything is in the control Of men who are controlling my mind State Songs State Songs I can't wait for my favorite one WEST VIRGINIA West Virginia Why don't you come outside with me? West Virginia There's something I'd like you to see West Virginia Deep within ya There's another deep inside you And inside the other one There is another In the other Like I told you You are concentric in your form When it's cold you Have got yourself to keep you warm West Virginia You'll continue To be constantly a part of you You'll never pardon, you will be The party who Will be partial to you Sugar maples, wingin' seed Propeller spinning from the tree Rhododendron, evergreen Look within and you will see There's another deep inside you And inside the other one There is another In the other Think it over No need to answer right away I'll be over There in the state across the way West Virginia You'll continue To be constantly a part of you You'll never pardon, you will be The party who Will be partial to you Sugar maples, wingin' seed Propeller spinning from the tree Rhododendron, evergreen Look within and you will see There's another deep inside you And inside the other one There is another In the other West Virginia West... Virginia -- IDAHO Night log Vigil by the picture window Sleepy Eyes never leave the road Passed my bedtime miles ago Still haven't entered Idaho There is a sign just up the way One hundred feet from my front yard And though it's dark, I make it out It says that Idaho welcomes you Everybody's passed out They don't know How close we are now Idaho Seen you Know everything about you Heard your Air blowing 'cross my door Tantalizing Go, man, go Driving my house to Idaho Almost there now Play that drumroll UTAH Reading the next resume Raising his eyes up from the page Showing no sign of surprise Weren't you the one I hurt? Weren't you the one that I betrayed? Did you stay angry with me? I forget you I forget you I forget Utah I forget you I forget you I forget Utah ARKANSAS The designers of the Arkansas Were inspired to choose a form that was The exact dimensions and the shape Of the state whose name she bore Yes the ship was shaped like Arkansas And the hull was formed without a flaw Every detail had been reproduced On a scale of one to one I was on the coast of Arkansas When I saw her colors from the shore And I sadly waved my handkerchief As the ship began to sing: "I'm the ship that's shaped like Arkansas And my hull was formed without a flaw Every detail has been reproduced On a scale of one to one" Avast, me hearties Ahoy, me state Ahoy there Avast there Ahoy there, me hearties And the rising tide engulfs the shore And the waves roll over Arkansas Will the ship return to anchor there And replace the sunken state For the ship was shaped like Arkansas And the hull was formed without a flaw Every detail had been reproduced On a scale of one to one -- IOWA Silhouette on the moon Flying around on a broom Iowa is a witch She's a witch She's a witch She's a witch She likes the comical hat Matching black dress and a cat Iowa is a witch She's a witch She's a witch She's a witch And if that broom don't fly I'm gonna buy you a Dustbuster Stirs a large iron vat Casting a spell on Vermont Iowa is a witch She's a witch She's a witch She's a witch She is a witch She is a witch She is a witch -- MICHIGAN (This one is a bit tough... corrections appreciated.) O Michigan the templar of unchecked replication O Michigan, O Michigan The tank the fishes are in Expansionist in spirit In latter orders untame Don't hold us, don't hold us back We must eat Michigan's brain Now throw back Michigan We miss you again NEW HAMPSHIRE Here I sit outside the window Longing to be asked inside Until someone sees Being polite Though scared to death They let me in Woman wonders "Who's your itchy friend?" Woman says "I thought he was with you" Woman says "I thought he was with you" They slowly back away from him At best, he's very interesting His brushes with success were just an accident No one likes New Hampshire man Broken-hearted old man of New Hampshire Flower-sniffing poet of New Hampshire Charming, witty, drunk Gate-crashing parasite Self-pitying, embittered, morose New Hampshire man Woman wonders "Who's your itchy friend?" Woman says "I thought he was with you" Woman says "I thought he was with you" They slowly back away from him At best, he's very interesting His brushes with success were just an accident No one likes New Hampshire man No one likes New Hampshire man ------------------------------ Message-ID: <381B6B79.5E355C44@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 15:04:46 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re:John L is an Alice C fan. Ryan Mooney wrote: >Sad but true, John Linnell is a fan of Alice Cooper. Why must you be sad? It might not be such a bad thing. I noticed the "Welcome to the Jungle/My Nightmare" thing after buying a used copy of "Welcome to My Nightmare" last month. Its actually a very clever little concept album. Sure, its got some of the characteristics of "badass" 70's hard rock but its also very interesting and musically diverse. Its really is a good album. And look at this!: From TMBG's "Spider": "We love you spider!" From Alice Cooper's "Black Widow: "...the Black Widow! Love him, yes we love him!" Actually, I think that one is a coincidence. But I still think the one in Welcome to the Jungle is a bona fide reference. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 21:56:38 GMT From: crow9864@mindspring.com (Kevin Sullivan) Message-ID: <381b68a9.5327175@news.mindspring.com> Organization: Mindspring Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs lyrics Corrections to Iowa follows... >IOWA > >Silhouette on the moon >Flying around on a broom > >Iowa is a witch >She's a witch >She's a witch >She's a witch > >She likes the comical hat [CONICAL HAT] >Matching black dress and a cat > >Iowa is a witch >She's a witch >She's a witch >She's a witch > >And if that broom don't fly >I'm gonna buy you a Dustbuster > >Stirs a large iron vat [IRON POT] >Casting a spell on Vermont > >Iowa is a witch >She's a witch >She's a witch >She's a witch > >She is a witch >She is a witch >She is a witch ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.eaec800a.254ccead@aol.com> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 18:43:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: State Songs lyrics In a message dated 10/30/99 3:01:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jay@tmbg.org writes: > O Michigan the templar of unchecked replication > O Michigan, O Michigan > The tank the fishes are in > Expansionist in spirit > In latter orders untame > Don't hold us, don't hold us back > We must eat Michigan's brain > Now throw back Michigan > We miss you again All I know is it's "EXEMPLAR of unchecked replication" and I THINK it's "Grow back michigan." Considering he's talking about Michigan being like an "Amoeba-like growth." Lydia Hi. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <384014744.941332865402.JavaMail.root@web02.pub01> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 21:21:05 -0400 (EDT) From: atomic worm Subject: TMBG: I Can't Wait For My Favorite One. I'd like to make a few notes about John Linnel's state songs, which i recieved yesterday. For those of you who were waiting for a giant's related release in the small hope of it being terrible so all of your fears about the decrease in giant talent would be justified.. your wait is not yet done! Here we find 16 totally immersive tracks about the states represented. After listening to the album two or three times, i even find it difficult to remember that these are songs about "states." I have a certain belief that songs may not be, solely, about the 50 states.. but other "states" as well. Maybe we'll see some more on that from future postees. The circus organ songs are probably among my least favorite . . esp. Illinois, only because it doesn't have John's vocals as the center piece. West Virginia is very moody, and i think a little sexy. Definitely one to get down to.. as opposed to getting up. Montana, Montana, if only someone lived in Montana! a bomb was dropped on the worm, and he could play drums. charley hoehnen [drworm@mad.scientist.com] [hoehnen@uwm.edu] __________________________________________________ FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-31 ******************************