Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 8 Friday, 8 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: "Hey Everybody (Boo-Berry Edit)" Re: TMBG: "Hey Everybody (Boo-Berry Edit)" TMBG: TMBG on Loveline TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-7 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-7 TMBG: Re: Broadcast TMBG: Re: Broadcast TMBG: Re: Broadcast TMBG: show prices Re: TMBG: show prices Re: TMBG: show prices Re: TMBG: "Hey Everybody (Boo-Berry Edit)" Re: TMBG: Re: Broadcast Re: TMBG: "Hey Everybody (Boo-Berry Edit)" TMBG: Cyclops Rock TMBG: Lyrics Re: TMBG: Cyclops Rock TMBG: tonight's show Re: TMBG: tonight's show RE: TMBG: tonight's show RE: TMBG: Better Living Through Better Music (Update) Re: TMBG: show prices TMBG: tonights show Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 01:30:44 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7thdpm$2itv$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: "Hey Everybody (Boo-Berry Edit)" Okay, I have a friend who really liked the new song "Hey Everybody" except for the part where the Johns sing. He thought they should've just yelled "Hey Everybody!" once, and then the music starts up again. As a consequence, he created a re-edit of the song which he called "Hey Everybody (Boo-Berry Mix)" , which he considers superior to the original. This edit is now up at the "Better Living through Better Music" site here: http://www.twistid.com/tmbg For those who feel like it, I'd be interested in people's opinions on this re-edit. Is it truly superior to the original, as my friend claims, or is the original its own little slice of genius? You decide. Feel free to either email me privately or to the group with your response. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000501bf1090$03f9c9a0$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Hey Everybody (Boo-Berry Edit)" Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 23:48:47 -0700 When I first heard it i was digging the music very much and found the words a but disrubtive to the flow of the music but the more i listened to it the more i like it and prefer the origianl to the edit. -=eRiCh=- > Okay, I have a friend who really liked the new song "Hey Everybody" > except for the part where the Johns sing. He thought they should've > just yelled "Hey Everybody!" once, and then the music starts up > again. As a consequence, he created a re-edit of the song which > he called "Hey Everybody (Boo-Berry Mix)" , which he considers > superior to the original. This edit is now up at the > "Better Living through Better Music" site here: > http://www.twistid.com/tmbg > > For those who feel like it, I'd be interested in people's opinions > on this re-edit. Is it truly superior to the original, > as my friend claims, or is the original its own little slice of genius? > You decide. Feel free to either email me privately or to the group > with your response. > > -Jay > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37FC7033.D229C824@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 03:04:37 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Loveline Subject: TMBG on Loveline Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 02:59:59 -0700 From: Bongo To: MrBean43@aol.com, ggr@pacificnet.net References: 1 MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > Tmbg was on Love line?! Yes about a year ago but it was the radio show version. > that's the show on MTV that only horny guys who dont > get any watch, right? Or horny guys who got too much and need advice on treating the sexual diseases they now have. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: CurlyMan4@aol.com Message-ID: <390b5fae.252dec15@aol.com> Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 08:29:09 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-7 Nice way to put it Karen [MuseKJ]. Anyway, does any one know when their new album is coming out. ------------------------------ From: CurlyMan4@aol.com Message-ID: <0.3a6db92d.252dec39@aol.com> Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 08:29:45 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-7 NOT Long Tall Weekend ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 10:01:06 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <37FCA7A2.E3D7A16@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Broadcast your mistaken, only the high end video feeds (100k and 300k) cost $4.99. (And with that you can watch it at your leisure for a whole day) The 28.8k and 56k feeds are free.. peter -=eRiCh=- wrote: > The webcast from house of blues tomorrow costs $4.99! I mean it will be cool > and all and i can record it on to video but i was hoping it'd be free! > > -=eRiCh=- -- ****************** Peter Ohlert Web Developer Internet Connect, Inc. (877)GET-ICDC ohlert@icdc.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 07:57:54 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Re: Broadcast Peter Ohlert wrote: >your mistaken, only the high end video feeds (100k and 300k) cost >$4.99. (And with that you can watch it at your leisure for a whole >day) Wait, so let me get this straight. 100k and 300k cost $4.99, so...can people with crappy modems use it? Spencer. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 11:07:40 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <37FCB73C.C2949AD2@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Broadcast no people with crappy modems can use the free feeds (28.8k, 56k depending on your modem speed) the 100k and 300k are for people with hi speed connections (ones that can sustain the 100 or 300 k/sec: dual channel ISDN, DSL, T1, cable modems etc...) peter Spencer Owen wrote: > Peter Ohlert wrote: > >your mistaken, only the high end video feeds (100k and 300k) cost > >$4.99. (And with that you can watch it at your leisure for a whole > >day) > > Wait, so let me get this straight. 100k and 300k cost $4.99, so...can people with crappy modems use it? > > Spencer. -- ****************** Peter Ohlert Web Developer Internet Connect, Inc. (877)GET-ICDC ohlert@icdc.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:10:34 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: show prices Message-ID: On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > It's one of the many evils of capitalism, really. Same with the 21 and over > venues. Just out to make more money. It's all about greed. They may indeed be out to gouge the world, but methinks there's probably other factors at play here. What if TMBG's fee is large? One of the appendices in the Fruvous FAQ [1] is a detailed and lucid explanation of ticket prices, and greed by the venue owners figures but indirectly. According to said appendix, most bands are paid a set fee (called a guarantee) plus a set percentage of ticket prices over and above that. If TMBG ask for a large fee, the venue owner has no choice but to raise ticket prices. This sucks for us, true, but both TMBG and the venue owners need to eat and pay rent and buy the new Fruvous CD. As it happens, TMBG are easily the most expensive band I see regularly, and they only come out here once a year, so I don't get soaked too badly. :) YMMV, and probably does if you're on the East Coast and faced with shelling out $25 every two weeks or something. :) Me, I wonder about the price difference between bar shows and non-bar shows. I paid $10 to see a band at a bar once, and $16 the next night to see the same band at a coffeehouse. And anyone who thinks that coffee drinks are less profitable than alcoholic drinks is deluded. :) --nicole twn [1] Curious people are referred to http://www.fruvous.com/news/faq.html#aa *** "Just because you're floating doesn't mean you haven't drowned."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nicole@fruhead.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199910071702.NAA14288@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: show prices Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:02:06 -0400 (EDT) TMBG may be $20 but that's not all that high for a high profile night club. For example, Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra XL is $25 (i've never even heard of them!) Ben Folds Five is $27.50 Cypress Hill is $25 Bryan Ferry is $40! (and that's a Tuesday and a Wednesday night in a row) George Clinton and the P-Funk Allstars is $27.50 Lucinda Williams is $25 (again, who is she?) Ratdog featuring Bob Weir & Rob Wasserman $25 It's really not all that high compared to some other bands out there. -Matt > > On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > > It's one of the many evils of capitalism, really. Same with the 21 and over > > venues. Just out to make more money. It's all about greed. > > They may indeed be out to gouge the world, but methinks there's probably > other factors at play here. What if TMBG's fee is large? One of the > appendices in the Fruvous FAQ [1] is a detailed and lucid explanation of > ticket prices, and greed by the venue owners figures but indirectly. > According to said appendix, most bands are paid a set fee (called a > guarantee) plus a set percentage of ticket prices over and above that. If > TMBG ask for a large fee, the venue owner has no choice but to raise > ticket prices. This sucks for us, true, but both TMBG and the venue > owners need to eat and pay rent and buy the new Fruvous CD. > As it happens, TMBG are easily the most expensive band I see regularly, > and they only come out here once a year, so I don't get soaked too badly. > :) YMMV, and probably does if you're on the East Coast and faced > with shelling out $25 every two weeks or something. :) > > Me, I wonder about the price difference between bar shows and non-bar > shows. I paid $10 to see a band at a bar once, and $16 the next night to > see the same band at a coffeehouse. And anyone who thinks that coffee > drinks are less profitable than alcoholic drinks is deluded. :) > > --nicole twn > > [1] Curious people are referred to http://www.fruvous.com/news/faq.html#aa > > > *** > "Just because you're floating doesn't mean you haven't drowned."--They Might > Be Giants > Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn > nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nicole@fruhead.com > ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:05:41 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: show prices Message-ID: <19991007.130542.-48146501.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > As it happens, TMBG are easily the most expensive band I see > regularly, > and they only come out here once a year, so I don't get soaked too > badly. > :) YMMV, and probably does if you're on the East Coast and faced > with shelling out $25 every two weeks or something. :) yeah, i used to get to see them on the not more than once every 6 months scheme - but now it's like, i'm only gonna see TMBG if it's cheap or if i can manage to get in another way. Let's just be thankful that i've gotten the guest list connection for 3 of the 4 bowery shows so far :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::stay tuned for a pic of me being posted up there so you kids can pick me out at the bowery shows::: ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991007180730.55504.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Hey Everybody (Boo-Berry Edit)" Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 11:07:29 PDT Jay G. wrote: >As a consequence, he created a re-edit of the song which >he called "Hey Everybody (Boo-Berry Mix)" , which he considers >superior to the original. Boo-Berry Mix? What's next? The Fruity Yummy Mummy Edit? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991007181418.53988.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Broadcast Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 11:14:18 PDT Peter Ohlert wrote: >no people with crappy modems can use the free feeds (28.8k, 56k >depending >on your modem speed) > >the 100k and 300k are for people with hi speed connections (ones that can >sustain the 100 or 300 k/sec: >dual channel ISDN, DSL, T1, cable modems etc...) So are they charging for the higher speed broadcast because they figure that anyone who can afford one of those fancier connections can also afford the $4.99 price? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan, who has an Ethernet connection, because he's at school DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001301bf10f4$9420b7a0$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Hey Everybody (Boo-Berry Edit)" Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 12:48:43 -0600 Actually, I kinda figured Count Chocula would come next..? :0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico. ----- Original Message ----- From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff To: Sent: Thursday, October 07, 1999 12:07 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: "Hey Everybody (Boo-Berry Edit)" > Jay G. wrote: > >As a consequence, he created a re-edit of the song which > >he called "Hey Everybody (Boo-Berry Mix)" , which he considers > >superior to the original. > > Boo-Berry Mix? What's next? The Fruity Yummy Mummy Edit? > -- > Yours 'til my head falls off > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001401bf1101$b8986da0$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: TMBG: Cyclops Rock Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 14:22:36 -0600 Ok. It's official. Cyclops rock is now one of my favorite songs ever, and my favorite Flans song of all time. Just thought..I'd share that with everyone. Heh. And now back to your regularly scheduled white noise. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 16:52:47 -0400 From: Susan Thomas Message-ID: <37FD081F.41686E57@ee.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Lyrics Hi Does anyone now where i can get the lyrics for She think's she's Edith Head? Thanks! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19991007191936.00992510@pop.prism.gatech.edu> Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 19:21:52 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: Cyclops Rock That is definitely quite a good song. Also, I think Thuderbird is awesome. I'm hoping these songs will be on the next album... I can't wait. Later, the hanged man At 02:22 PM 10/7/99 -0600, you wrote: > > Ok. It's official. Cyclops rock is now one of my favorite songs ever, and > my favorite Flans song of all time. Just thought..I'd share that with > everyone. Heh. And now back to your regularly scheduled white noise. > > Signed, > Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: TMBG: tonight's show Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:42:25 -0400 Message-ID: I got a pretty good tape. I had some buffering about half way through but other than that I think I got a keeper, They were better than ever. What an awesome f*%^ing show! -Lee ------------------------------ From: OCSabrina@aol.com Message-ID: <0.aabfca43.252eb47a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 22:44:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: tonight's show Oh man, you arent kidding! fabulous show. wish i hadn'd had to work and could afford to go that night. BUT then again, i DID get to see Dr.Evil.. so that was pretty cool. sabrina ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: RE: TMBG: tonight's show Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:46:39 -0400 Message-ID: I'm putting this one on CDR. Get your orders in early! -----Original Message----- From: OCSabrina@aol.com [mailto:OCSabrina@aol.com] Sent: Thursday, October 07, 1999 10:44 PM To: lees@megahits.com; tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: tonight's show Oh man, you arent kidding! fabulous show. wish i hadn'd had to work and could afford to go that night. BUT then again, i DID get to see Dr.Evil.. so that was pretty cool. sabrina ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: RE: TMBG: Better Living Through Better Music (Update) Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:56:52 -0400 Message-ID: sOMEBODY GIVE ME A password for the pay-per-view please! ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.6b0f8c54.252ebfef@aol.com> Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 23:33:03 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: show prices In a message dated 10/7/99 12:17:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu writes: > As it happens, TMBG are easily the most expensive band I see regularly, > and they only come out here once a year, so I don't get soaked too badly. > :) YMMV, and probably does if you're on the East Coast and faced > with shelling out $25 every two weeks or something. :) > I paid 36 per ticket for Weird Al at the Westbury Music Fair. Gack. But it was worth it, darn it! Lydia A Weird Al Fan Since 1839 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001501bf114b$2a9cc600$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: tonights show Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 22:08:31 -0700 I have a 300k direct line so I hooked up my computer to the TV and watched it on tv (while taping it of course) it was totally cool-- it was like watching it ......on tv heheh. Im not equiped to make copies so please dont ask until I offer. the show was cool though-- it was just like the show i saw in vegas so it si defintally a keeper, i thought the sound quality was very good but the lag was a little annoying but hey picture is better than no picture. -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-8 *****************************