Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #23-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 23, Number 14 Sunday, 14 November 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: 11/12 concert TMBG: The Montana single (plus further complaints about CDNow) TMBG: Re: TMBG MD Masters to trade TMBG: Mr. John Linnell Scheduled to Rock Los Angeles Re: TMBG: The Montana single (plus further complaints about CDNow) Re: TMBG: The Montana single (plus further complaints about CDNow) TMBG: DAS Freebird and its erie similarity to "I Blame You" TMBG: Re: DAS Freebird and its erie similarity to "I Blame You" TMBG: That tmbg.com thing... Re: TMBG: That tmbg.com thing... TMBG: disturbing, disturbing Re: TMBG: disturbing, disturbing TMBG: TMBG vs MP Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <382D13DF.9FE310C3@stratos.net> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 02:31:43 -0500 From: Ryan Staib Subject: TMBG: 11/12 concert I would just like to know... was there a concert tonight (11/12) somewhere in MA, or is that only tomorrow? RS ------------------------------ Message-ID: <382D374A.C7A3DA1C@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 02:02:55 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: The Montana single (plus further complaints about CDNow) On Oct 8, I ordered 4 items from CDNow: 1) "State Songs" (which at the time was an advance order), 2) the "Montana" single (also an advance order), 3) the import version John Henry (the one with the bonus live disc), and a non-TMBG import CD. Well, its been over a month later and I received "State Songs" today. (Weeks after the release date!) I have not received the other other three items. Turns out they canceled John Henry import because (quote): >The John Henry album "They Might Be Giants" was cancelled as our distributor >is no longer able to get any copies of the item from the record label. >They only had a limited amount to sell and once they were gone the item >was removed from our website. Actually, I thought it had been out of print for YEARS so when I saw someone on this list mention they were offering it, I place my order immediately. Now, I kind of doubt they even had any available. I think it was an error. They originally told me the "Montana" single was canceled from my order but didn't state a reason why. Now they tell me its "on backorder"! They informed me of that the day it was supposed to be released (even though I ordered it a month in advance.) I'm curious to know if ANY of you received "Montana" from CDNow (or from any other source) or has the release been pushed back? Anyway, I'll be looking for "Montana" at local stores that carry vinyl because I can't count on CDNow to deliver. They might make me wait another month then tell me its discontinued. CDNow has some neat features but they are starting to becoming too much of a gamble for me. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <382D52DF.F9C4CB7@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:40 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG MD Masters to trade GaritRN@aol.com proclaimed: >It's been about a year or so since I've posted about trading, so read >carefully! =) I've recorded several shows in the past year with my Sony >Minidisc Recorder MZ-R30 and trusty Sony digital mic. I'm now looking to >expand my collection with A quality 1st generation MD clones of shows that I >enjoy. So help me out, okay? I will not trade for blanks or postage or your >firstborn so please don't ask. Feel free to browse the list below and email >me if you're interested..... I recall the last time you made such a request. (Seems a lot less than a year ago.) Too bad you are still on the elitist kick. How many of us do you think are privileged enough to own mini disc equipment anyway? This list consist mostly of 14 to 20 years olds that may own the 8 major TMBG CDs but have MP3 boots of the rest of their stuff. If they are too cheap to buy the "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Movie" soundtrack (for example) then they certainly don't own MD equipment. If you lower your demands, you might get more responses. And by the way, what ever happened to the concept of loving a band's music so much that you want to *share* it with others? (Instead of greedily focusing on your own collection.) C'mon, you're talking about music that you STOLE anyway! -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <382D555D.887B6C71@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:11:19 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Mr. John Linnell Scheduled to Rock Los Angeles Every week the ad for John Linnell's solo gig gets slightly bigger (in the LA Weekly). This weeks' ad brags: "as heard on KCRW's "the Morning Becomes Eclectic!" This is pretty exciting considering that in past weeks they couldn't even spell his name correctly. (They had it as "John Lindell"!) I see now that Mr. Linnell will also be playing at The Coachhouse in San Juan Capistrano (sp?) in addition to the Hollywood show. Both shows are all ages! So there's no excuse not to be there! -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.cf31b16b.255ee7e1@aol.com> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:12:17 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: The Montana single (plus further complaints about CDNow) In a message dated 11/13/99 5:00:11 AM Eastern Standard Time, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: << They originally told me the "Montana" single was canceled from my order but didn't state a reason why. Now they tell me its "on backorder"! They informed me of that the day it was supposed to be released (even though I ordered it a month in advance.) I'm curious to know if ANY of you received "Montana" from CDNow (or from any other source) or has the release been pushed back? >> The Montana single has still not been released by the publisher. Karen (MuseKJ) <3 <3 <3 ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.49d78ef7.255f0968@aol.com> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 13:35:20 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: The Montana single (plus further complaints about CDNow) In a message dated 11/13/99 5:00:14 AM, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: >Turns out they canceled John Henry import because (quote): > >>The John Henry album "They Might Be Giants" was cancelled as our distributor >>is no longer able to get any copies of the item from the record label. >>They only had a limited amount to sell and once they were gone the item >>was removed from our website. maybe they could get some more copies if they looked up the band name "they might be giants" and the album "john henry", and not the other way around. ;) sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 17:12:46 -0500 From: "Joe Teagno" Message-ID: <80knp5$233$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: Rochester Institute of Technology Subject: TMBG: DAS Freebird and its erie similarity to "I Blame You" I just listened to the Freebird (Boy) and Freebird (Girl) DAS songs from the Better Living Through Better Music TMBG site, and I noticed that they sound suspiciously similar to "I Blame You" from The Guitar single. Not only are the chords (nearly?) identical, but the lyrics have almost the same feel. Are these songs demos of what eventually became "I Blame You"? I'm not blaming you, Joe broom@tmbg.org http://members.xoom.com/flophousejoe/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 17:15:19 -0500 From: "Joe Teagno" Message-ID: <80kntu$25m$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: Rochester Institute of Technology Subject: TMBG: Re: DAS Freebird and its erie similarity to "I Blame You" > I just listened to the Freebird (Boy) and Freebird (Girl) DAS songs from the > Better Living Through Better Music TMBG site, and I noticed that they sound > suspiciously similar to "I Blame You" from The Guitar single. > > Not only are the chords (nearly?) identical, but the lyrics have almost the > same feel. Are these songs demos of what eventually became "I Blame You"? Maybe I oughtta start doing a little more research before I post from now on. This is what it says on tmbg.org: There is a different song on Dial-a-Song with the same tune as this. It is titled "Free Bird's Rebirth," and goes: Listen dear people To a story so sad About a poor boy Who never went bad He got some chain mail But he broke the chain Now he must sing free bird Again and again Again and again Again and again Free bird Free bird Joe broom@tmbg.org http://members.xoom.com/flophousejoe/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004d01bf2e2b$d78ee1c0$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Bastard Snowman" Subject: TMBG: That tmbg.com thing... Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 16:07:22 -0700 Hey, I went to that thing Operator Dot mailed about, and entered in my email addy (which is what I assume I was supposed to do) and it..didn't really give me any indication that anything had happened at all. Anyone have any clues why? Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my web page... www.geocities.com/Paris/Shoppe/3169/ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.3bd2050f.255f74ef@aol.com> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 21:14:07 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: That tmbg.com thing... In a message dated 11/13/99 6:07:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, refund@nmt.edu writes: << Hey, I went to that thing Operator Dot mailed about, and entered in my email addy (which is what I assume I was supposed to do) and it..didn't really give me any indication that anything had happened at all. Anyone have any clues why? >> Don't worry, I'm sure your e-mail address has been added to the list...it did the same thing with my e-mail address also. I think that's the normal way it works. If your e-mail address couldn't go through for some reason, you probably would've received an error message of some kind. Karen <3 <3 <3 (MuseJK) ------------------------------ From: LvlyRita42@aol.com Message-ID: <0.1e9eb4ab.255f8501@aol.com> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 22:22:41 EST Subject: TMBG: disturbing, disturbing i went to that site to find the state songs lyrics (very nice, by the way) and at the bottom of that page, there is a link called WHO WILL LIVE AND WHO WILL DIE. has anyone seen this? it's a most disturbing montage of possible ways that the johns might die during a concert. whose page is this? i was just a bit taken aback. linny ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.32dd10fa.255f8983@aol.com> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 22:41:55 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: disturbing, disturbing In a message dated 11/13/99 11:25:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LvlyRita42@aol.com writes: > linny Yes, I could see how you would be just a bit taken aback, Mr. Linnell. But don't worry, you won't REALLY be turned into a pulsating blob of nerves and veins, I promise. Nor will you be stung by a million bees and die. Your adoring public will not let that happen. ...Yes, we write about it, but that doesn't MEAN.... > i went to that site to find the state songs lyrics (very nice, by the way) > and at the bottom of that page, there is a link called WHO WILL LIVE AND WHO > > WILL DIE. has anyone seen this? it's a most disturbing montage of possible > ways that the johns might die during a concert. whose page is this? i was > just a bit taken aback. > I don't know whose it is, but it sure is creepy! I personally like to believe that it was put there for the sole purpose of daydreaming about ways to save them from these cruel fates, but I may be wrong ;) Lydia Always look on "They Might" side of death! *whistle* doo-doo...doodoo doodoo... doodoo... ------------------------------ From: jbparke@juno.com Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 23:31:15 -0500 Subject: TMBG: TMBG vs MP Message-ID: <19991113.233115.-626337.0.jbparke@juno.com> Here's an excerpt of an album review of Marcy Playgrounds new album: >While fan boys and girls have a tendency to compare Marcy Playground >with Nirvana and the Beatles, the trio made up of songwriter/producer >Wozniak on guitar and vocals, Dan Rieser on drums and Dylan Keefe on >bass sound, at certain moments, like They Might Be Giants. But >somehow those moments don't conflict with the moments in which their >work sounds an awful lot like a certain kind of ruminative Pearl Jam song, >or the occasional moments when they sound as though someone here >was a Rush fan before switching to the Velvet Underground. If you wanna read the whole thing go to www.albumreviews.com and click on the Marcy Playground link. I just love to share! That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #23-14 ******************************