Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #23-24 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 23, Number 24 Wednesday, 24 November 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: State Songs questions & comments Re: TMBG: State Songs questions & comments Re: TMBG: State Songs questions & comments TMBG: Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:59:20 GMT Re: TMBG: State Songs questions & comments TMBG: Linnell's L.A. Troubadour Show TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs Re: TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #23-23 TMBG: Moxy Fruvous tommorrow Re: TMBG: State Songs questions & comments Re: TMBG: State Songs questions & comments TMBG: Anyone got an 11/22/99 Troubadour setlist? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:52:01 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: State Songs questions & comments Message-ID: <21713-383AD441-18823@storefull-247.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I'm not sure if this has been brought up before (although it probably has), but for the sake up sparking some conversation... Has anyone noticed the extreme similiarities between the music to Iowa and the music to Born In A Graveyard/Dan vs. Cog? They're like, exactly the same. Iowa is just sped up a little and played in higher notes. Did anyone else think of Smash Mouth when they first heard West Virginia? Did anyone else think of the teacups at DisneyLand the first time they heard Illinois? Idaho is the one about John Lennon's acid trip, right? That's friggin' hilarious! Okay, that's it. Do what you will with them. Your's...somewhat, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199911231759.MAA192142@f04n05.cac.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:57:42 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: State Songs questions & comments At 09:52 AM 11/23/1999 -0800, you wrote: >Did anyone else think of Smash Mouth when they first heard West >Virginia? Actually, for some reason West Virginia reminds me of the song 'Undercover' by Joey DeLuxe on the the Godzilla soundtrack. *shrugs* Maybe that's just me though... --Jason-- "Gotta find a new place to hang out, 'cause I'm tired of living in hell." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:04:26 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: State Songs questions & comments Message-ID: <21717-383AD72A-2514@storefull-247.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Actually, for some reason West Virginia reminds me of the song 'Undercover' by Joey DeLuxe on the the Godzilla soundtrack. *shrugs* Maybe that's just me though... No, no. You're absolutely right! Now that you mention it, I definetly hear the resemblance. -Dexter, one smooth operator workin'... undercover ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 14:59:52 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <19991123195920.90778.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "bob mcdougall" Subject: TMBG: Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:59:20 GMT why don't tmbg promote anything in england? they had a go with birdhouse, but it's impossible to get any information, or see them over here. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991123200445.93192.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kristina Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: State Songs questions & comments Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 14:04:45 CST Dexter: >I'm not sure if this has been brought up before (although it probably >has), but for the sake up sparking some conversation... I don't know about all this, but I have noticed that in "the Songs of the 50 States", right after he says "I can't wait for my fav-or-ite one" for the last time, he starts to play Arkansas, which would lead me to believe that Linnell's fav-or-ite one is Arkansas. Doi! Kristina "Or maybe it was just easier to work in Arkansas than, say, South Carolina!" Panos http://www.otmfan.com Ookla!! Hooray! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:57:24 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Linnell's L.A. Troubadour Show John Linnell and the Statesmen 11/22, 8 PM Troubadour, Los Angeles Bear with me, this is *not* a good review. And another thing: I'd like to give a shout-out to Garrett. He was standing right next to me and I didn't realize that he was on the mailing list until I asked him if he was a 'net fan. Garrett, I'm gonna check out your site..."geology.csun.edu/liggett", right? And do you have AIM? Okay. It was advertised somewhere that the Statesmen would be Jay Sherman Godfrey on guitar, Mark Lerner on bass and Mark Donato on drums. It turned out that it was 2/3 right; on guitar was the lovely and talented Dan Miller. The show was phenomenal. I can't remember the setlist, exactly. I tried and tried to grab one, but alas, before I could even blink they were all gone. All I grabbed from the stage was a package of unused earplugs next to Linnell's keyboard and some dead flowers that someone threw on stage. Anyway, I do know that they played pretty much all of the State Songs except "Illinois" and "Nevada." In place of the "dustbuster" break for "Iowa," Mr. Donato broke out the harmonica and did a kick-ass solo. Linnell neglected to take sides about "Oregon" ("The song that started all the controversy, 'Oregon is bad...' The song all Californians love. But I don't go for that! That's not my scene"). They did an odd cover version of Springsteen's "Nebraska" ("Some people say that this is the only Bruce Springsteen song they like. In fact, some people on this stage may say that. I'm not gonna tell who"). When Linnell was playing his accordion on "Mississippi," he got right up to the front of the stage (where I was standing) and bent down right next to me and was jammin' out. Yahoo! And Dan Miller played the keyboard on "Pennsylvania" and "Arkansas," as well as an egg shaker and a tape recorder with a car alarm on it for "Idaho." My one complaint: Mr. Donato is not as good of a drummer as, say, Dan Hickey or certainly not Brian Doherty. And he did a strange 2/4 beat for "New Hampshire," giving it a weird and somewhat unfitting vibe all around. But he did fine for the rest, and it was overall an excellent performance. A *really* detailed review of the instore appearance to follow. Spencer. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991123211146.15133.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian Power" Subject: TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:11:45 EST Here's my input: The first time I heard West Virginia, I thought of Bruce Springsteen. Don't ask me why. Does anyone else think that thing about New Hampshire's official state state is the funniest thing you've ever heard? My dad pointed something out: In Mississippi and Pennsylvania, the names of the states repeated fit nicely as lyrics to the songs. Try it! On Linnell's NPR interview, Noah Adam's mentions that John Flansburgh's "It doesn't sound like anything else" quote is in the liner notes. Can Anyone find that in the liner notes? I used to skip over Utah and Arkansas when I got the chance, but now I realized they're pretty cool songs. Not Nevada, though. Is there any instrument this guy doesn't play? Keep commenting! I love it. Awake but still in bed, Ian Power http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 14:27:01 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs >On Linnell's NPR interview, Noah Adam's mentions that John Flansburgh's "It >doesn't sound like anything else" quote is in the liner notes. Can Anyone >find that in the liner notes? It's actually in Linnell's "We're an American Band Organ" article at tmbg.com and in the info club. Check it out, yo. >Is there any instrument this guy doesn't play? Yes. He does not play the drums. At least he has not played the drums on a TMBG/solo recording that I know about. Also, he does not play the violin. Neither does he play the harpsichord. Or the cello. Or the zither. Or the harmonica. Or the melodica. Or the trombone. Or the zamboni. Or the triangle. Or the gut-bucket. Can anyone else think of instruments he doesn't play? Spencer. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <383B1203.12D41C29@mailandnews.com> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:15:32 -0600 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs I'm bored at work, and I felt like responding to a post. Here goes! Ian Power wrote: > Here's my input: > > The first time I heard West Virginia, I thought of Bruce Springsteen. Don't > ask me why No problem. > Does anyone else think that thing about New Hampshire's official state state > is the funniest thing you've ever heard? Funnier things can be read in books by Douglas Adams and Kurt Vonnegut, in comics by Kevin Smith and Ben Edlund, or in the poetry of Beau Sia. But funny indeed it is! > My dad pointed something out: In Mississippi and Pennsylvania, the names of > the states repeated fit nicely as lyrics to the songs. Try it! Pennsylvania, Penn-sylvania, Penn-syl-van-ia. Pennsylvania, Penn-sylvania, Penn-syl-van-ia. Pennsylvania, Penn-sylvania, Penn-syl-van-i-a. I'll be danged, that does work. > On Linnell's NPR interview, Noah Adam's mentions that John Flansburgh's "It > doesn't sound like anything else" quote is in the liner notes. Can Anyone > find that in the liner notes? I believe he meant it was quoted in the info sheet that radio stations were sent. They usually get a promo cd, a bio sheet, maybe a glossy picture (I think someone posted a scan of the State Songs promo pic... John on a horse)... > I used to skip over Utah and Arkansas when I got the chance, but now I > realized they're pretty cool songs. Not Nevada, though. Well, you can listen to the first minute or so, and then stop the CD... > Is there any instrument this guy doesn't play? Didgeridoo. At least, he's never been photographed playing one. So far as I know. I wouldn't put it past him. Destin http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ "The fourth dimension is just one big crazy do-not-enter clambake jungle of weirdity! And how does it work? Never mind!" -The Tick ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991124005957.9509.rocketmail@web221.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:59:57 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #23-23 > Subject: TMBG: John Linnell Tape (11/14) > > OK...everyone who e-mailed me requesting a copy of > the Linnell show on 11/14, can you e-mail me again? > Sorry, but my computer crashed, and I lost > everyone's addresses. Thanks. > > PR Mega > huh? what did i miss where can i get in on the action? -Chris(T) __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991124010310.23206.rocketmail@web216.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:03:10 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous tommorrow hey whose going to the fruvous show tommorrow in Rochester i am, i'll be wearing my fruvous definition t-shirt with a long sleeve shirt under it. i'm 6' with big brown hair. find me see you there -CHRIS#T __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <383B4C05.B1D5CA7@airmail.net> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:23:01 -0600 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: State Songs questions & comments Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > > I'm not sure if this has been brought up before (although it probably > has), but for the sake up sparking some conversation... > > Did anyone else think of Smash Mouth when they first heard West > Virginia? More like the people Smash Mouth copied. Which would be the Doors, for those of you non-history students out there. ;) > Did anyone else think of the teacups at DisneyLand the first time they > heard Illinois? Not as such. But I have to walk by a carousel about 50 times a day at my job (I work at an amusement park), and that often causes Illinois to get stuck in my head. > Idaho is the one about John Lennon's acid trip, right? That's friggin' > hilarious! That it is. My mom describes it as "lounge singing from hell." For more comedy, I quoted parts of Oregon to my supervisor (not named Frosty, if you were wondering). He thought it was pretty funny. For any musical junkies out there, does Utah kind of sound like something from Threepenny Opera? It does to me. On Montana, I keep expecting to hear Flans on backup vocals. I'd probably consider that the most TMBG-ish of all the State Songs. Michigan and Maine would be tied for second in my book. I think South Carolina is my favorite, but anyone who knows me can tell you that my opinions change frequently. Using up her semi-millenial post quota, Danielle -- Even eyes never mean that you're sure to see. --XTC ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:08:47 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <81fqtd$bnr$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: State Songs questions & comments Kristina Panos ... > Dexter: > >I'm not sure if this has been brought up before (although it probably > >has), but for the sake up sparking some conversation... > > I don't know about all this, but I have noticed that in "the Songs of the 50 > States", right after he says "I can't wait for my fav-or-ite one" for the > last time, he starts to play Arkansas, which would lead me to believe that > Linnell's fav-or-ite one is Arkansas. Doi! > > Kristina "Or maybe it was just easier to work in Arkansas than, say, South > Carolina!" Panos from an interview: http://victorian.fortunecity.com/hurst/525/Jay/Linnell.html KRIS: Well I can't wait to hear it. Just a couple more things about the album. I noticed that the theme song goes into the "Arkansas" motif at the end. LINNELL: That's right. KRIS: Is there something special about "Arkansas?" LINNELL: I just thought it was funny that in the lyrics [of the theme song], it keeps going on about "my favorite one." It's something people ask me and John [Flansburgh] all the time about They Might Be Giants, "what's your favorite song?" I don't know why, but it's like we have an allergy to telling people what our favorite songs are. But I thought it was funny to have this incredibly biased thing right there on the record, that says "here's the best song on the record." Again, it's not really what I think. I mean I don't think "Oregon is bad," and I don't think "Arkansas" is my favorite song, but I just thought it was funny to express an up- front opinion like that. -Jay ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.3319834d.256cd4aa@aol.com> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 00:42:02 EST Subject: TMBG: Anyone got an 11/22/99 Troubadour setlist? Hello everybody, Does anyone have a copy of an in-order setlist from Linnell's show at the Troubadour on 11/22/99? Was there any opening acts for this show? Thanks! Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #23-24 ******************************