Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #23-25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 23, Number 25 Thursday, 25 November 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #23-24 Re: TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs TMBG: Slim's show info / Opener at Troubadour? Re: TMBG: Slim's show info / Opener at Troubadour? Re: TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs NON-TMBG: Soul Coughing Re: TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs TMBG: states song (,chris on) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KeukeKeuke@aol.com Message-ID: <0.a1b2850b.256cfd8e@aol.com> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 03:36:30 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #23-24 In a message dated 11239 11:06:50 PM Pacific Standard Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: > Can anyone else think of instruments he doesn't play? I don't think he plays the bandoneon, but I bet he could pick it up easily enough. cb ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991124182140.91849.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Buffalo Boy Flatland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 18:21:40 GMT Spencer Owen wrote: > >Is there any instrument this guy doesn't play? > >Yes. He does not play the drums. At least he has not played the drums on a >TMBG/solo recording that I know about. Also, he does not play the violin. He plays the violin on "Counterfeit Faker," actually. >Neither does he play the harpsichord. He seems to be able to play most other keyboard instruments, so I don't see why he wouldn't play this one, too. It's true that he doesn't play it for any TMBG songs, though. >Or the harmonica. I wouldn't be surprised if he could play a little bit of harmonica. Once again, though, I don't think he plays it on any TMBG tracks. >Or the melodica. A melodica is a keyboard instrument, isn't it? While I don't know for sure if Linnell plays it, I do know that the Then liner notes mention a melodica being used in "Snowball In Hell," and there's no indication of anyone else playing it, so there's a good chance that it was Linnell. -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d4cf1b9b.256da158@aol.com> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:15:20 EST Subject: TMBG: Slim's show info / Opener at Troubadour? Hi again everyone... Does anybody have a report on Linnell's show at Slim's last night in San Francisco? Was Niagara the opening band there, like I heard it would be? Does anybody know who the opening act was at the Troubadour show on 11/22/99? Thanks for any information you could give me! Karen :-) MuseKJ ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:53:14 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: Slim's show info / Opener at Troubadour? >Does anybody know who the opening act was at the Troubadour >show on 11/22/99? That would be Robot. They were alright, not incredibly memorable. They had a couple very cool songs (one, I think, was called "Test Tube"), but the rest was mediocre. It was a guitar/guitar/bass/drums lineup for a badly mis-named indie college radio band. Spencer. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:51:07 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs >A melodica is a keyboard instrument, isn't it? Alright, alright! I get it! But come on, my point was made. There are instruments Linnell does not play. Spencer. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991124220435.23068.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Miss Karen" Subject: NON-TMBG: Soul Coughing Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:04:35 PST I know there are quite a few of Soul Coughing fans here so I'm just passing this info along for those that might be interested: "Free Dirty Danny" Benefit Concert Saturday, December 4, 8. p.m., Bowery Ballroom featuring: Soul Coughing Girls Against Boys Furious George The Hangdogs Cartoonist Danny Hellman has incurred more than $10,000 in legal fees so far defending himself against a lawsuit brought by another cartoonist for a harmless prank. For details, see: http://www.nypress.com/print.cfm?content_id=216&author_id=5 http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/9947/howe.shtml Hellman faces tens of thousands of dollars more in lawyers' bills. The case has drawn the attention of Brill's Content, the New York Observer, New York Press and the Village Voice. To help Hellman pay these costs, Soul Coughing's lead singer M. Doughty has organized a benefit concert at Bowery Ballroom on Saturday, Dec. 4. Along with headliners Soul Coughing, the lineup includes punk rockers Girls Against Boys and Furious George, and roots rockers The Hangdogs. Proceeds go to The Dirty Danny Defense Fund. "Free Dirty Danny" t-shirts and Danny Hellman poster art will also be on sale. "I think it's outrageous that an artist would sue another artist for expressing an opinion," says M. Doughty, who volunteered considerable time to organize the benefit. This will be Soul Coughing's only concert in New York City this fall, and their first ever at the Bowery Ballroom. Tickets are $15 and may be purchased by phone at 212-269-4TIX, online at ticketweb.com, and at Mercury Lounge (217 E. Houston St. near Ludlow), Mon.-Sat., 12-7 p.m. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991124220559.75480.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian Power" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 17:05:59 EST >Alright, alright! I get it! But come on, my point was made. There are > >instruments Linnell does not play. You know, I wasn't serious when I asked if there were any he doesn't play. I think we should be amazed that he plays so many, instead of trying to find fault. Awake but still in bed, Ian Power http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991125033310.7969.rocketmail@web206.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 19:33:10 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: states song (,chris on) I'd just like to bring up a couple things about states songs. New Hampshire- when linnell sings "woman wonders whose your itchy friend" "woman says i thoght he was with you" "women says i thought he was with you" does any one else think on the second you is insanley hard to hit the note? and doesn't the song just remind you of mr. horrible and unrealated thing combined? further more (south carolina) what is a Garcon? Now here's the big one zach brought this one to me (he doesn't know about the lennon idaho thing) and he was saying that in idaho a really tired guy was driving and he crashed (and then the sirens come) which is the ambulence. So he is in the ambulince car and he thinks he's still driving but he's not and then he wakes in a hospital in Montana which borders idaho it makes perfect sense to me. but one thing why is the last line of idaho play that drum roll when there isn't one. CHRIS T I LER __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All in one place. Yahoo! Shopping: http://shopping.yahoo.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #23-25 ******************************