Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #23-26 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 23, Number 26 Friday, 26 November 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: states song (,chris on) TMBG: states song (,chris on) -Reply Re: TMBG: states song (,chris on) -Reply Re: TMBG: states song (,chris on) TMBG: Montana is out! TMBG: Happy Thanksgiving! NON-TMBG: Information about a radio song please! TMBG: TMBG TMBG: Garcon TMBG: The Johns: At a glance Re: TMBG: The Johns: At a glance Re: TMBG: The Johns: At a glance Re: TMBG: The Johns: At a glance Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 01:28:12 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: states song (,chris on) Message-ID: <2373-383D012C-1622@storefull-245.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Chris: does any one else think on the second you is insanley hard to hit the note? Me: Well, that might be a bit of an over-statement, but it is rather difficult. Chris: and doesn't the song just remind you of mr. horrible and unrealated thing combined? Me: Someone Keeps Moving My Chair? Yes. They both deal with two incredible outsiders of men. New Hampshire Man and Mr. Horrible should start hanging out together. I know they could become good friends. Unrelated Thing? Not really. I can kinda' see where you're coming from, though. Chris: further more (south carolina) what is a Garcon? Me: You know, ever since I found out that's what was being said in South Carolina, I've been hearing that word alot more often. Actually, I've probably always heard it at certain times before, just never really noticed it. I'm not sure, but I'm gonna' guess it's like a french word for waiter, or a french waiter, or something along those lines. Chris: why is the last line of idaho play that drum roll when there isn't one. Me: I was wondering that, too. He says drum roll, but instead we get a dope bass riff from Mr. Lerner (which is just as good as any drum roll) to close out the song. On a side note, doesn't John Linnell seem especially...playful on State Songs? I mean, it's usually Flansy whos the real out going fun guy, Linnell being the collective mellow one. But here, he remains the intellectual proper person he's always been, just adding a more whimsical twist to it. I think that the Johns personalities have really rubbed off on eachother. I mean, you hear something like the strange, yet deep What Bothers The Spaceman for example. Flansy could have never written a song like that without obvious Linnell influence. Then you hear Linnell with the line "And if that broom don't fly, I'm gonna' buy you... a dustbuster" in Iowa, and you're overcome with the sense of Flansburgh. I've never heard Linnell use such a stupid, yet funny and entertaning line like that before. I mean, he's had funny stuff in his songs before, but they've always had a real intelligent feel to 'em. That Iowa line is just plain goofy, and I love it! They both have done a great deal for eachother. Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 9:23:43 +0000 Subject: TMBG: states song (,chris on) -Reply If I remember from my french class from many years ago garcon (with one of those funny french accent things I think) is French for boy (as in not a girl) and also what you used to call waiters in very posh restaurants. No idea if this helps or not. Richard ~ boycotting french beef, well boycotting all beef as it happens. >>> "ghost_krabb@yahoo.com" 25/November/1999 06:18am >>> further more (south carolina) what is a Garcon? Now here's the big one zach brought this one to me (he doesn't know about the lennon idaho thing) and he was saying that in idaho a really tired guy was driving and he crashed (and then the sirens come) which is the ambulence. So he is in the ambulince car and he thinks he's still driving but he's not and then he wakes in a hospital in Montana which borders idaho it makes perfect sense to me. but one thing why is the last line of idaho play that drum roll when there isn't one. CHRIS T I LER __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All in one place. Yahoo! Shopping: http://shopping.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <0.c9b93ef7.256e9dd4@aol.com> Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 09:12:36 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: states song (,chris on) -Reply << If I remember from my french class from many years ago garcon (with one of those funny french accent things I think) is French for boy (as in not a girl) and also what you used to call waiters in very posh restaurants. No idea if this helps or not. >> Yes, "garcon" is "boy" in French, but it somehow became adapted as a rather condescending reference to waiters (something many Americans don't realize when they hear or use the term). Someone on the newsgroup came up with the idea that the guy in the accident is now enjoying the spoils of his settlement and living the life of the idle (i.e. snobby) rich. Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991125155748.54301.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Samantha Skinner" Subject: Re: TMBG: states song (,chris on) Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 15:57:48 GMT >does any one else think on the second you is insanley hard to hit >the note? I'm a girl, so no. The only parts of TMBG's song that I find different to sing are Flansy's "She's Actual Size" live, and most of Flansy's background vocals. Oh, and when Linny sings super low. >why is the last line of idaho play that drum roll when there >isn't one. Dear god, that is the BEST bass solo (even tho it's only about 6 notes) I have ever heard. I don't know why. It just is. Oh, and I'm really listening to old TMBG lately ... concentrated on Lincoln. If any of you have never heard the Mojo Chick remixed of Flood, Lincoln, or Then (Bee-Sides), you're missing something really funny. They're only about two minutes long each with a bit of almost every song in it. Gotta love it. -Samantha ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991125160550.11903.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kristina Panos" Subject: TMBG: Montana is out! Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 10:05:50 CST Hey kids, According to CDNOW, my copy of the Montana single is on it's way as of yesterday. IT'S OUT!!! Kristina "I can lose these tiny pill cups now!" Panos ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.9fdd3ce6.256ecae6@aol.com> Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:24:54 EST Subject: TMBG: Happy Thanksgiving! Hello everyone, I just wanted to wish everyone on both the ontopic and offtopic TMBG lists a very Happy Thanksgiving :-) Have a great day, Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com <3 <3 <3 ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:35:09 +0000 Subject: NON-TMBG: Information about a radio song please! As the list is fairly quiet at present can I enlist your help to track done a song that has been bugging me..... The song is sung by an American(?) male. I'm sure I've heard 2 versions; one with a band and one solo. The gist of the song is about a radio DJ who actually plays and understands the decent music he is playing (a rare occurance in the UK believe me!). However the nasty management, persuaded by consultants who promise more advertising if the station follow their (boring) format, have to let him go (i.e. sack him). He locks himself in the studio and play (grunge) music until the police smash in the door and lock him up. Up before the judge he is found guilty of "I'm not sure what" before being thanked by the judge for playing "'The River' last night". If you have heard the song you will know which one I'm talking about. Any details appreciated! EMail me privately unless you want to start a thread about the greatest song about the radio (see my P.S.)?! Thanks Richard P.S It isn't WOLD by Harry Chapin, Radio Radio by Elvis Costello or even Radio They Might Be Giants which are also great songs about the radio. ------------------------------ From: BobaFett683@aol.com Message-ID: <0.5104d24b.256f328a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:47:06 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG Chris Tyler wrote: >further more (south carolina) what is a Garcon? "le garcon" means "boy" in french. are TMBG playing in New York City for new years? or around new years? allis-o ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:57:31 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <81kof2$2cac$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Garcon wrote in message news:0.5104d24b.256f328a@aol.com... > Chris Tyler wrote: > > >further more (south carolina) what is a Garcon? > > "le garcon" means "boy" in french. It also means waiter. So in the song, he's calling for a waiter for another coctail. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991126021900.28358.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian Power" Subject: TMBG: The Johns: At a glance Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 21:18:59 EST I have a theory about the personalities of John and John. Send your comments back: John Linnell: I think Linnell is the "Musician" of the group. (That is not to say that Flansy is not a great musician.) Linnell is the intellectual. He wants to write smart, freudian, sometimes funny songs. You can tell State Songs is heavily influenced by Early TMBG. I think Linnell wants to revert back to old-style (Flood), but knows it probably would not be good for the band. State Songs was sort of project where he was the only one with input on whether the songs were good or not. Linnell is the quiet, humble, but all-seeing John. John Flansburgh: Flansy is the public face in TMBG. In Their interview on NPR a few years back, he talked 80% of the time. He is the one pushing the band foward into mainstream (Factory Showroom). This has brought us some great songs, but Flood-style stuff has almost vanished in recent years. Mono Puff is much more edgy (meaning hardcore, but to a lesser extent) than TMBG, and there is not much of a Linnell influence there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Awake but still in bed, Ian Power http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html PS- Does anyone know what date TMBG will be on the Daily Show? ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.9b78e7c2.256f4fdf@aol.com> Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 21:52:15 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: The Johns: At a glance In a message dated 11/25/99 9:20:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, powerwings19@hotmail.com writes: << PS- Does anyone know what date TMBG will be on the Daily Show? >> December 15th, at 11 pm Eastern time Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.f1052a0.256f66f8@aol.com> Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 23:30:48 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: The Johns: At a glance I take it you're not much of Flans fan, but you pull more for the accordion section. I'm really not aware of their difference in musical philosophy, I've only heard one interview. I'd have to say though, being a guitar player myself, I am more of a Flans fan. I guess you could say he's my idol. On a related note, could this difference in philosophy mean a -- dare I say -- split down the road? Nah. Rick J ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <0.15205c88.256f73a8@aol.com> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 00:24:56 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: The Johns: At a glance <> Linnell is the quiet intellectual and Flansburgh is the outgoing fun guy. I think that when the elements from both musicians come together it leads to really awesome sounding music. I think Flans is also the intellectual type. If he wasn't they probably would have split long ago. I just can't see dumbasses listening to TMBG. If they did TMBG would be more popular. Harry Pyle ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #23-26 ******************************