Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #23-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 23, Number 7 Sunday, 7 November 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: TOADS TMBG: States Songs/CDNow TMBG: Idaho interp Re: TMBG: States Songs/CDNow Re: TMBG: Idaho interp Re: TMBG: Idaho interp Re: TMBG: Sensurround TMBG: Re: Sensurround Re: TMBG: Sensurround Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <00bd01bf2827$6d5fe560$31dd7aa8@hostname.bu.edu> From: "Sarah Weissman" Subject: Re: TMBG: TOADS Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 02:20:33 -0500 >Well here it is, Friday, once again and I have noticed the lack of a review >of the show at Toads a week ago so here is some brief info. Perhaps no one >on the list was there? > I was there, with my friend Liz. I just don't have a lot to say. >First of all I brought my kids again. I know that some of you had met them >at Central Park on Father's Day, standing front row on the Flansburg side. >When the manager of Toads saw me there with the kids he kindly offered to >allow us to sit in the press-box which is like a small balcony behind the >sound man and is equipped with two rows of comfortable theatre style seats >that rock (literally). Hey wow, you're lucky. With all the crazy pushing in the audience (I don't know if that's a Toads Place thing, or if most TMBG concerts have rowdy audiences and I've just been to the oddball ones where people were mellow, but it seemed kind of weird to me...) it's probably better that your kids weren't running around. I was wondering why there were kids up there too. And now I know. > >Michael Shelley opened with his non-descript, forgettable, brand of music. >Not to say he was bad, please don't flame me. I'm simply saying that >although the music was quite well executed, there was no material there that >left me humming an unforgettable melody afterwards. He also managed to pick >a few fights with members of the audience and even took off his guitar and >threatened to jump off the stage to assault someone. I'll say it was bad... I thought I heard him threaten someone, but by the time he finally came on (after 2 hours, was it???) my friend and I had migrated from in front of the stage to the front bar or whatever they call it to get a soda. It was really hard to tell what Shelley was saying, but from what I could make out he was mumbling all of the same comments he made about his songs the last time I saw him open for TMBG. > >TMBG took the stage in similar Bowery form with Dan and Dan and Graham (yes >Graham Maby not D.W.) playing the opening to "Drinking" and then being >joined by the Johns half way through. The Johns have answered your flaming >list demands for more variation by adding "We're The Replacements". They >used the confetti cannon but suprised everyone when it wasn't during "James >K. Polk, but during another song. It was during Mr. Klaw, right after all the funky vocal beginning stuff when they start with the instruments, you know? I thought that was great. I almost forgot they did that. It was also great to hear Flansburgh's comments about keeping the drunk people behind the net where they belong. (The bar area is separated from the rest of the floor by a whole lotta netting in this club.) I got a kick out of that.. And when he invited everyone to make peace... "Shake hands with your drunken brethren." Well, it was my friend Liz's first TMBG experience live and she loved it. I loved it. I'm sure everyone there loved it. I was almost killed by the conga line, but I still loved every second. : ) -Sarah __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19991106160658.007c3100@mail.ginko.de> Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 16:06:58 +0100 From: Thorsten Beck Subject: TMBG: States Songs/CDNow Hi! I'm Thorsten the German ambassador of TMBG and the two Johns. I have nothing bad to say about CDNow. I ordered 'States Songs' at 19th and I got it 7 days after release date 26th. But that's because of the shipping time to Europe. And here are the Top 5 for 'State Songs' (from the german jury): 1. New Hampshire 2. Michigan 3. Arkansas 4. Oregon 5. The Songs of the 50 States And by the way, Pennsylvania sound better with piano ..... Thorsten ------------------------------ From: mattj@charm.net Message-Id: <199911062012.PAA19797@fellspt.charm.net> Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 15:10:59 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Idaho interp I like Idaho a lot! It seems like some kind of drug trip. And the end of his trip is almost at hand when his trip ends in Idaho. I guess the car alarm is just one more odd thing in this trip. That's the only thing that comes to mind at this point! -Matt Matt James mattj@charm.net ------------------------------ From: mattj@charm.net Message-Id: <199911062012.PAA19809@fellspt.charm.net> Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 15:10:59 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: States Songs/CDNow On 6 Nov 99, at 16:06, Thorsten Beck wrote: > Hi! > > I'm Thorsten the German ambassador of TMBG and the two Johns. > > I have nothing bad to say about CDNow. I ordered 'States Songs' at > 19th and I got it 7 days after release date 26th. But that's because > of the shipping time to Europe. And here are the Top 5 for 'State > Songs' (from the german jury): 1. New Hampshire 2. Michigan 3. > Arkansas 4. Oregon 5. The Songs of the 50 States > > And by the way, Pennsylvania sound better with piano ..... > Hi Thorsten, You should make a trip to your top 4 states, or perhaps do number 5 ;) It's too bad they're so far apart! -Matt Matt James mattj@charm.net ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991106201956.15092.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kristina Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: Idaho interp Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 14:19:56 CST >I like Idaho a lot! Idaho sucks! What a lame state! ^_~ >It seems like some kind of drug trip. And the end of his trip is >almost at hand when his trip ends in Idaho. I guess the car alarm >is just one more odd thing in this trip. >That's the only thing that comes to mind at this point! According to Linnell himself, in the NPR All Things Considered interview, he was reminded of a story that John Lennon once told about an acid trip that he'd had. Apparently it was late at night, Yoko and Sean were sleeping, and for some reason, he was convinced tha he was driving the house. Yeah. He thought that if he fell asleep, the house would crash into something, and that Yoko and Sean would die. I don't remember what Linnell said about John's little trip that was related to seeing a sign up ahead, but I think there was something said. Moral: Don't do psychedelic drugs if you're not willing to drive the house around all night, moron! Kristina "blah blah blah" Panos http://www.goblinmag.com "Powered By They Might Be Giants" !!! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991106215652.38367.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: Re: TMBG: Idaho interp Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 21:56:51 GMT >From: mattj@charm.net >Reply-To: mattj@charm.net >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Idaho interp >Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 15:10:59 -0500 > >I like Idaho a lot! >It seems like some kind of drug trip. This prolly has already been said, but I just can't resist. Drug trip, it's not a drug trip and you feel a bit insulted.. Julie :) --------- The Cerulean Blue Wierdo sez: Quid hac nocte facemus, O Cerebrum? Idem quod omni nocte facimus, O Rosule: mundum superare tentabimus! Translation: What are we going to do tonight, Brain?... The same thing we do every night, Pinky: Try to take over the world! ---------- ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <0.c4be416d.25565498@aol.com> Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 23:05:44 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Sensurround In a message dated 99-11-06 01:28:10 EST, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: << The only difference is the bridge. >> UNTRUE! :D Actually, IIRC, the SEXXY version has Flans singing something in the background during the last verse and last few choruses, while the MMPR version does not have this mysteriou s chorale... I should know, Sensurround is my *favorite* TMBG song.... Emar, wants to hear that baby LIVE. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 05:30:59 GMT From: "Tim Marshall" Message-ID: <01bf28e1$b5a7f820$1626a2d1@default> Organization: The Grid Subject: TMBG: Re: Sensurround Whats up dude??? Wen-Po Tsai wrote in article <800i2q$1ols$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org>... > Thanks for the tips! I'll keep them in mind the next time I go TMBG > shopping. > > Dyanne > > > ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <0.b47f67fb.255669bf@aol.com> Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 00:35:59 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Sensurround Another difference is (if nobody alrady pointed this out yet) that different band members are playing in each version. The MMPR version includes Tony Maimone on the bass. The S-E-X-X-Y version has Graham Maby on bass and Eric Schermerhorn on lead guitar. They both have Brian Doherty playing the drums. Harrypyle@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #23-7 *****************************