Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #24-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 24, Number 21 Tuesday, 21 December 1999 Today's Topics: ?non? TMBG: Olive, the other reindeer ?non? TMBG: Olive, the other reindeer TMBG: Olive the Other Reindeer TMBG: show in Boston Re: TMBG: show in Boston TMBG: Musician Polls Re: TMBG: Musician Polls Re: TMBG: Musician Polls Re: TMBG: Musician Polls Re: TMBG: Musician Polls Re: TMBG: Musician Polls Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <385E509B.D0C01934@st.com> Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:51:55 -0700 From: Russ Josephson Organization: STMicroelectronics, Inc Subject: ?non? TMBG: Olive, the other reindeer Okay, so I taped "Olive, the other Reindeer". My children liked it, and the animation was pretty cute. (In fact, it convinced me that Drew Barrymore was OK, after all.) I was expecting some kind of TMBG connection, but what is it? I recognized Mr. Stipe of REM, but there were no credits showing any involvement by TMBG. ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.20524bbd.258fb03a@aol.com> Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:15:54 EST Subject: ?non? TMBG: Olive, the other reindeer << Okay, so I taped "Olive, the other Reindeer". My children liked it, and the animation was pretty cute. (In fact, it convinced me that Drew Barrymore was OK, after all.) I was expecting some kind of TMBG connection, but what is it? I recognized Mr. Stipe of REM, but there were no credits showing any involvement by TMBG. >> The song "Olive, the Other Reindeer" wasn't included on the TV cartoon -- neither John Linnell's version as Johnny Hart, nor any other version. So the only connection would be the title of the cartoon with the title of the song-- and the fact that Vivian Walsh, who wrote the book and the storyline for the cartoon, also co-wrote the "Olive" song with Linnell. J. Otto Seibold was the illustrator for the children's book, and I imagine, for the cartoon as well. More information on the company that put out "Olive, the Other Reindeer" can be found at: www.jotto.com... At the site's store, you can currently buy a single of Brian Dewan reading a children's story entitled "Free Lunch," which was also written by J. Otto Seibold & Vivian Walsh: http://www.jotto.com/pages/store.FreeLunchRecord.html Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199912201801.NAA00844@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: Olive the Other Reindeer Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:01:37 -0500 (EST) I watched the second half of Olive the Other Reindeer and saw no credit to Linnell nor heard anything by him. Still, it was a really good show and I noticed that the animation looked a lot like the Istanbul video and I guess that would make sense since J. Otto Seibold did the animation. If anyone has been to Nordstroms lately, you will notice that they put up Olive the Other Reindeer banners, signs, dolls, inflatable penguins and dogs and everything else to do with the show. It's just too bad that the Linnell connection can't be made directly to this show since no Linnell song ended up being used. -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991220203346.6828.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kate Larson" Subject: TMBG: show in Boston Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:33:46 EST Hello, Does anyone know about the show in Boston at Avalon? I hear TMBG is playing there on 2/4. Does anyone know about tickets or anything? I really want to go!!! Kate ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001a01bf4b33$008fc2a0$31dd7aa8@hostname.bu.edu> From: "Sarah Weissman" Subject: Re: TMBG: show in Boston Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:41:27 -0500 +AD4-Hello, +AD4- +AD4-Does anyone know about the show in Boston at Avalon? I hear TMBG is playing +AD4-there on 2/4. Does anyone know about tickets or anything? I really want to +AD4-go+ACEAIQAh- +AD4- +AD4-Kate You can buy tickets at http://www.nextticketing.com/avalon.html . They seem to be on sale now. -Sarah __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All in one place. Yahoo! Shopping: http://shopping.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991221023233.31680.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian The Bold" Subject: TMBG: Musician Polls Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:32:33 EST Here are some polls that I have conjured up: Who do you think is the best drummer who has played with TMBG? 1.Dan Hickey 2.Brian Doherty 3.Alan Bezozi 4.Mark Donato (If you count SS) 5.Other Who do you think is the best bassist who has played with TMBG? 1.Tony Maimone 2.Graham Maby 3.Dan Weinkauf 4.Hal Cragin 5.Mark Lerner (If you count SS) 6.Other Who do you think is the best guitarist to have played with TMBG? 1.Eric Schermerhorn 2.Dan Miller 3.Other My picks: Brian Doherty. This guy absolutely rocks on John Henry. Just listen to stuff like Destination Moon, Out of Jail, AKA Driver, etc. Graham Maby. Not only can he jam on bass, he's also a great singer. I'd have to say a draw between the guitarists. I'd say Dan's a little better all around, but Eric rocks on lead stuff like XTC vs. Adam Ant, and S-E-X-X-Y. Lift that fork, eat that snail, Ian Power http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <0.b08ba7ef.259042e8@aol.com> Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:41:44 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Musician Polls In a message dated 12/20/99 9:35:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, tmbgbffmfgus@hotmail.com writes: << 4.Mark Donato (If you count SS) 5.Mark Lerner (If you count SS) >> If you are counting State Songs you should count Mono Puff also... Jordan ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:55:13 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Musician Polls Message-ID: <11973-385EEC11-16363@storefull-244.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Well, since you've included State Songs, and also an other category, I'm gonna' have to say Steve Calhoon of Mono Puff for drummer (not as much for his Mono Puff stuff, but more for the work he did with his other band, Skeleton Key. Excellent stuff!), and Hal Cragin of Mono Puff for bassist (although he actually did play with TMBG for awhile). As far as guitarist... hmmm, I don't know. I guess I'll go with Dan M. Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:43:17 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Musician Polls Message-ID: <11973-385EF755-16519@storefull-244.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Mark Donato isn't just State Songs. Didn't he play with TMBG on the Apollo 18 tour? Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <385EF890.D2320F87@fruhead.com> Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:48:32 -0500 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Musician Polls Ian The Bold wrote: > Who do you think is the best drummer who has played with TMBG? > > 1.Dan Hickey > 2.Brian Doherty > 3.Alan Bezozi > 4.Mark Donato (If you count SS) > 5.Other 5. Jon Feinberg 6. Other Don't forget Feinberg, TMBG's drummer when they first started touring with a band. I like Doherty's style, but Hickey is a much better live drummer. I last saw Doherty in 1996, and didn't recall much from his performance, but I recently watched a video of a concert from 1995 and Brian, while he is an excellent drummer, just didn't move at all. Dan really seems to get into it. So he gets my vote. > Who do you think is the best bassist who has played with TMBG? > > 1.Tony Maimone > 2.Graham Maby > 3.Dan Weinkauf > 4.Hal Cragin > 5.Mark Lerner (If you count SS) > 6.Other definitely Graham. He can sing, he plays a really nice 5-string bass, and his style is smooth. I think Dan has gotten better since I first saw him, but there's still an occasional crunch from the strings, and Tony was just a little too intense for me. Graham was nice and relaxed on stage. > Who do you think is the best guitarist to have played with TMBG? > > 1.Eric Schermerhorn > 2.Dan Miller > 3.Other on a technicality, I'm going to say John Flansburgh. Now, if you mean *lead* guitarist (which I'm pretty sure you intended :) I'll pick Dan Miller hands down. He's cool. He's not showy or anything. Eric sooooooooooo didn't belong in TMBG. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <385EF8CB.963BA5C@fruhead.com> Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:49:31 -0500 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Musician Polls HallOfEyes@aol.com wrote: > If you are counting State Songs you should count Mono Puff also... If you are counting Mono Puff you should count Careless Santa also... Lawrence "What do you mean the horse is dead?" Solomon :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #24-21 ******************************