Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #24-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 24, Number 22 Wednesday, 22 December 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: best drummer/bassist etc TMBG: Re: Musician Polls Re: TMBG: Musician Polls TMBG: Re: Musician Polls TMBG: Re: Musician Polls Re: TMBG: Musician Polls Re: TMBG: Musician Polls TMBG: Musician Polls Re: TMBG: Musician Poll Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19991220233554.008065d0@pop3.xprt.net> Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 23:35:54 -0800 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: best drummer/bassist etc This topic comes up fairly often on the #TMBG (efnet) IRC channel, but I'll have to toss my opinion out there. I have to say that Brian Doherty is by far the best drummer they've ever had. Dan Hickey is definitely talented, but he's more of a tapper and just not quite as compelling sonically. Yes, he is an animated and entertaining guy, but he doesn't have the power and precision that Brian Doherty had. As far as bass playing goes, it's all about Graham Maby. All of their bass players have been excellent, but I just have the most fun watching and listening to Graham. I was very glad and fortunate to see him get to play with TMBG on the last tour, while he was filling in. He's in a league above the rest, being a member of the legendary Joe Jackson's band, and he's a very competent backing vocalist. Kerry ------------------------------ From: "Erik J. Chuss" Message-ID: <8525684E.00503D0D.00@notes949.cc.telcordia.com> Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:36:17 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: Musician Polls I am sure this thread is going to be beat into the ground, but what the heck... Who do you think is the best drummer who has played with TMBG? 1.Dan Hickey 2.Brian Doherty 3.Alan Bezozi 4.Mark Donato (If you count SS) 5.Other > Brian Doherty - I saw a New Years show at the Trocadaro s few years ago and as JF said "he was on fire". I have been to a lot of concerts and it is rare to see a drummer stand out like he did that night. Who do you think is the best bassist who has played with TMBG? 1.Tony Maimone 2.Graham Maby 3.Dan Weinkauf 4.Hal Cragin 5.Mark Lerner (If you count SS) 6.Other > Graham Maby - This is probably due to my strong Joe Jackson feelings. Graham has done a great, although limited, job with TMBG. His work with other musicians is incredible. I also has to say Tony "Mo-Money" Maimone isn't that far behind. Who do you think is the best guitarist to have played with TMBG? 1.Eric Schermerhorn 2.Dan Miller 3.Other > Dan Miller - I kind of agree with most people's opinions that he was a little "too much" for TMBG. > Erik - the other half of the bee ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: <0.205b3cda.259102bc@aol.com> Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 11:20:12 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Musician Polls Hello 41- Which is the best musician of TMBG at the "other instruments" a timeless piece. Bass - Tony. He's so good. His TMBG stuff was really cool and wonderful as is his stuff stuff with Pere Ubu. The lowest of the low. He also took it upon himself to learn all the stuff from the Pink Album and Lincoln so they could do Pink Album and Lincoln shows. Now how cool is this guy? Drums - Dan. But it's a very rough decision. Brian is technically superior I believe. He also played other instruments like the vibraphone. However, he gets points taken off for trying to get into Smashing Pumpkins after TMBG. JD was a really great drummer that doesn't get enough respect among TMBG fans. He has a great drum style and was a really cool guy. Dan, however, realy has the "TMBG spirit" I believe. And he's good, a nice guy and funny. He's also been in TMBG more than any other band member, excluding Johns of course. Horn section - Why this wasn't in the original poll, I don't know... Trumpet - Frank London. This guy's incredible. He still works with TMBG on albums and used to tour with them. He's a superior player and added a real flare to the live show, a great improver. Trombone - Dan Levine. Same thing. He's a good player and adds a lot to the show when he's called upon. One hell of a euphonium player as well... ~Adam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 11:59:32 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <385FB1F4.97E7B97C@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Musician Polls > Here are some polls that I have conjured up: > > Who do you think is the best drummer who has played with TMBG? > > 1.Dan Hickey > 2.Brian Doherty > 3.Alan Bezozi > 4.Mark Donato (If you count SS) > 5.Other > 1. BRIAN DOHERTY > Who do you think is the best bassist who has played with TMBG? > > 1.Tony Maimone > 2.Graham Maby > 3.Dan Weinkauf > 4.Hal Cragin > 5.Mark Lerner (If you count SS) > 6.Other > 3. DAN WEINKAUF > Who do you think is the best guitarist to have played with TMBG? > > 1.Eric Schermerhorn > 2.Dan Miller > 3.Other > 1. ERIC SCHERMERHORN > My picks: > > Brian Doherty. This guy absolutely rocks on John Henry. Just listen to > stuff like Destination Moon, Out of Jail, AKA Driver, etc. > > Graham Maby. Not only can he jam on bass, he's also a great singer. > > I'd have to say a draw between the guitarists. I'd say Dan's a little > better all around, but Eric rocks on lead stuff like XTC vs. Adam Ant, and > S-E-X-X-Y. > > Lift that fork, eat that snail, > Ian Power > http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:28:37 -0500 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <83ong6$nfa$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Musician Polls Ian The Bold wrote in message <19991221023233.31680.qmail@hotmail.com>... >2.Brian Doherty Hey, what was the poop with Brian leaving the group? Unlike most other TMBG band alumni, he apparently did not leave to pick up some other steady gig. Did he have a run in with on of the Johns? I seem to remember hearing that Linnell got fed up with him being such a slob. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991221231314.11333.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Samantha Skinner" Subject: Re: TMBG: Musician Polls Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 23:13:13 GMT Ian, who must be on crack, said: >My picks: > >Brian Doherty. This guy absolutely rocks on John Henry. Just listen to >stuff like Destination Moon, Out of Jail, AKA Driver, etc. Eh. I'd have to go with The Drum Machine for the best drummer. It always keeps time and never bitches about how you never buy it beers after the show. >Graham Maby. Not only can he jam on bass, he's also a great singer. I've never heard him sing so I'll have to take your word for it. >I'd have to say a draw between the guitarists. I'd say Dan's a little >better all around, but Eric rocks on lead stuff like XTC vs. Adam Ant, and >S-E-X-X-Y. Are you a nut? Not only does Miller play guitar ... he also sings and plays keyboards. I'm afraid of a take over by him! ;) >Lift that fork, eat that snail, >Ian Power >http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html -Samantha NP: Special BBM Mega Mix CD mostly of NoFX, 311, and Radiohead. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <0.a77a3545.2591680a@aol.com> Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 18:32:26 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Musician Polls Hm...I shall go with the Big Box as best drummer. For bassist, Graham Maby. He is *so* cool. And Dan Miller is the best guitarist, even if he does have that Southern Butt-Rock sound to some of his solos... ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <0.671ac97d.25917cd7@aol.com> Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:01:11 EST Subject: TMBG: Musician Polls Dan Hickey Hal Cragin Eric Schermerhorn ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991222014735.25181.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian The Bold" Subject: Re: TMBG: Musician Poll Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:47:35 EST Samantha wrote: <<>> Ya wanna fight or what? (j/k) I'd also like to say that I made a mistake. I did not realize that Dan Miller, in fact, kicks more ass than eric Schermerhorn. I apologize. Lift that fork, eat that snail, Ian Power http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #24-22 ******************************