Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #24-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 24, Number 4 Saturday, 4 December 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: A chat with Linnell coming up! Re: TMBG: Re: A chat with Linnell coming up! TMBG: TMBG is Boston in Febuary TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #24-3 Non-TMBG: Powerman 5000 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #24-3 TMBG: John Linnell interview Re: TMBG: Re: A chat with Linnell coming up! RE:TMBG: Premere Malcom in the Middle January TMBG: TMBG Mention in Entertainment Weekly TMBG: Chocolate Coins for All! (A "Feast of Lights" review) Re: TMBG: Chocolate Coins for All! (A "Feast of Lights" review) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:40:58 -0500 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <828kc0$2in8$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: A chat with Linnell coming up! MuseKJ@aol.com quoted in message <0.62f9431e.25782352@aol.com>... > >WEDNESDAY 12/8/99 >-- At 8:00 PM EST, join The Web's Entertainment Center as we host a live >chat with John Linnell, half of the eclectic pop duo They Might Be >Giants. John and John Flansberg, >the other half of They Might Be >Giants, began playing music together in high school, but it wasn't >until after they both graduated from college that the band came >together. I'm sure that John and John will both be overjoyed to learn that they are now college grads. Now they can go out and get real jobs. ;) >John Linnell's first solo album, State Songs, is a >collection of songs honoring 15 states of the USA, and is "full of >melodic delights and brimming with good cheer from a veritable American >ambassador of goodwill." Honor? Good cheer? goodwill? Does this person not know that Linnell has proclaimed that Oregon is Bad? Or that Iowa is a witch (and has cast a spell on Vermont)? Or that he has instructed us to eat Michigan's brain? Ambassador? Feh! I think the guy's tryin' to start another civil war! >-- Following the chat with John Linnell, stick around for a live chat with >alternative rock band Powerman 5000. ...The >band's latest album, Tonight the Stars Revolt, has recently gone >platinum. Platinum? Has anyone ever heard of these guys? Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:48:21 -0500 Message-Id: <199912030948.AA275185772@megahits.com> From: "Lee Steel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: A chat with Linnell coming up! Never heard of these guys. Some of these states are just damn lucky to get mentioned no matter what the context. Does anyone even live in Iowa? I'll have a little gravy with my Michigan brains, thank you! Keep in mind that Ambassador was a car once marketed by Rambler. "Getting backstage passes is not like "Wayne's World"...it's the real world." Lee (ambassador to the state of Connecticut) ---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: "Yer Pal Paul" Reply-To: "Yer Pal Paul" Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:40:58 -0500 >MuseKJ@aol.com quoted in message <0.62f9431e.25782352@aol.com>... >> >>WEDNESDAY 12/8/99 >>-- At 8:00 PM EST, join The Web's Entertainment Center as we host a live >>chat with John Linnell, half of the eclectic pop duo They Might Be >>Giants. John and John Flansberg, >>the other half of They Might Be >>Giants, began playing music together in high school, but it wasn't >>until after they both graduated from college that the band came >>together. > >I'm sure that John and John will both be overjoyed to learn that they are >now college grads. Now they can go out and get real jobs. ;) > >>John Linnell's first solo album, State Songs, is a >>collection of songs honoring 15 states of the USA, and is "full of >>melodic delights and brimming with good cheer from a veritable American >>ambassador of goodwill." > > >Honor? Good cheer? goodwill? Does this person not know that Linnell has >proclaimed that Oregon is Bad? Or that Iowa is a witch (and has cast a >spell on Vermont)? Or that he has instructed us to eat Michigan's brain? >Ambassador? Feh! I think the guy's tryin' to start another civil war! > >>-- Following the chat with John Linnell, stick around for a live chat with >>alternative rock band Powerman 5000. ...The >>band's latest album, Tonight the Stars Revolt, has recently gone >>platinum. > >Platinum? Has anyone ever heard of these guys? > >Yer Pal Paul >Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. > > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:59:35 -0500 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <828lf3$2jb2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG is Boston in Febuary Ahoy, I haven't since this posted here yet, but local Boston Alt Rock station (and home of "Julie" of They Got Lost fame) WFNX has added a TMBG concert date to their concert listing page. Feb., 4, '00, Avalon. See http://fnxradio.com/happen/happen.html for further details. -- Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3847E4D3.79C8184C@st.com> Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 08:42:11 -0700 From: Russ Josephson Organization: STMicroelectronics, Inc Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #24-3 "... some albums come out nowadays that have only ten tracks or less, and that makes us angry ..." John Flansburgh > www.amazon.com and www.cdworld.com both have track listings. > > "Best of the Early Years": > > 1. Ana Ng, > 2. Purple Toupee, > 3. Youth Culture Killed My Dog, > 4. Don't Let's Start, > 5. Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head, > 6. She Was A Hotel Detective, > 7. Everything Right Is Wrong Again, > 8. Cowtown, > 9. We're The Replacements - (CD only), > 10. Hide Away Folk Family - (CD only) > > "Live": > > 1. Istanbul, > 2. Particle Man, > 3. Birdhouse In Your Soul, > 4. S-E-X-X-Y, 5. She's Actual Size, > 6. XTC Vs. Adam Ant, > 7. They Got Lost, > 8. Ana Ng - (CD only), > 9. Doctor Worm - (CD only) > P.S. Check out my TMBG Video Bootleg page at: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158/tmbg.htm They make great Christmas gifts! -- ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 1217 N Aspen Dr Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com (970) 532-0453 "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <0.425faaae.25794393@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 11:02:27 EST Subject: Non-TMBG: Powerman 5000 > > >-- Following the chat with John Linnell, stick around for a live chat with > >alternative rock band Powerman 5000. ...The > >band's latest album, Tonight the Stars Revolt, has recently gone > >platinum. > > Platinum? Has anyone ever heard of these guys? Actually, yeah... my girlfriend's real big on 'em... they're industrial-metal types, but not the usual "bleah bleah, I wanna die, free me from my cage, I express my rage, wah wah wah" Korn-Bizkit kinda junk... they've got more of a sci-fi vibe to 'em. Sorta like Servotron or Man... or Astroman? just a hell of a lot harder. In otherwords, yeah, they're OK. E-Z-0 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199912031730.MAA49118@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 12:28:51 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #24-3 At 08:42 AM 12/3/1999 -0700, Russ Josephson wrote: > >"... some albums come out nowadays that have only >ten tracks or less, and that makes us angry ..." > > John Flansburgh Something tells me these releases weren't exactly the Johns' idea. --Jason-- "Gotta find a new place to hang out, 'cause I'm tired of living in hell." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 16:01:38 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <829djn$30ff$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: John Linnell interview From alt.music.tmbg: ... > Hey TMBG fans-- > > Just wanted to let y'all know that we've just posted up an exclusive > interview with John Linnell, one of the Giants in They Might Be Giants. > He talks about his new State Songs release, his songwriting approach and > his favorite parts of Chicago. But read it for more... > > http://www.pccmag.com > > Enjoy, puppet heads. > > Thanks for reading, > Matt Springer > Co-Editor, Pop-Culture-Corn Magazine > http://www.pccmag.com My favorite part: <<<< You've done a lot of touring, obviously--what's your favorite state? Well, this is a really pat answer, but it happens that today we're in Madison, Wisconsin, and I love the city of Madison. It's a very pleasant place. Today is a beautiful day. It's the perfect day to be here--there's autumn leaves here, but it's not as cold as you'd expect for this time of year. I just love it up here. I think Wisconsin generally is a pretty great place. But I haven't done the Wisconsin song yet. >>>>>> Whooo-hoo! Go Madison! -Jay ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: <0.bd6784da.2579a0fc@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 17:41:00 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: A chat with Linnell coming up! I live in Iowa...I never said I like it though... ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: <0.cdf371dc.2579a15e@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 17:42:38 EST Subject: RE:TMBG: Premere Malcom in the Middle January This has pretty much gone to a NON TMBG subject but, I believe by moving Family Guy to thursday nights, they killed it. How many people still actually watched it when it went onto thursdays? This might happen to Futurama... ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <0.f1430460.2579a706@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 18:06:46 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG Mention in Entertainment Weekly The latest EW (Dec 10) reviews Dialasong.com-- TMBG's Dial-a-Song (www.dialasong.com) Sure, you could dial 718-387-6962, the legendary Dial-a-Song line that delivers snippets of mostly unreleased music from Brookyln's own quirk-rockers They Might Be Giants. But that's so un-s-e-x-y [note--yes, EW left out an x! Cool reference anyway...] (Plus, the machine's broken a lot.) Now, thanks to TMBG's Quicktime-driven Dial-a-Song site--which comes complete with its own theme song--you're treated to new tracks without ever, well, dialing. Guess that's one of life's Giant ironies. A in addition, EW mentions TMBG on the review for Festival of Lights 2--- "....Still, a handful of memorable numbers---including...a sad-sack ballad by They Might Be Giants..." sad-sack? Jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3848AD9D.58A36174@pacificnet.net> Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 21:58:57 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Chocolate Coins for All! (A "Feast of Lights" review) Hi Theysters! As of of sunset on the date I'm writing this, (Dec. 3) it is now officially Hanukkah. So first of all, Happy Hanukkah! And now on to business. I've heard of TMBG's "Feast of Lights" for awhile now but I haven't heard the song until today. In honor of Hanukah, KCRW's "The Morning Becomes Eclectic" played "Feast of Lights". I'm always stunned when I hear TMBG played on the radio. (Even if it public radio.) So here's what I think about it. Well, for a Linnell song, lyrically, its a bit bland. The song doesn't have much of message beyond a "happy holidays"-type greeting. Musically it was okay. Maybe through additional listenings the melody will become more attractive to me. Linnell makes the mistake of rhyming "Hanukah" with "harmonica". Stop a moment and ask yourself this: What famous Hanukkah song rhymes "Hanukkah" with "harmonica"? .... ..... ..... Obviously its Adam Sandler's "Hanukkah Song". Did Linnell do that subliminally or has he never hear the Adam Sandler song. (How could he not?) I suppose it *could* be a coincidence. Anyway, I could never play "Feast of Lights" my friends for fear of them branding it a cheap Adam Sandler rip-off. Despite that, the song isn't so great anyway. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <0.97c03842.257a085f@aol.com> Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 01:02:07 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Chocolate Coins for All! (A "Feast of Lights" review) In a message dated 12/4/99 12:54:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: << "Feast of Lights". I'm always stunned when I hear TMBG played on the radio. (Even if it public radio.) So here's what I think about it. Well, for a Linnell song, lyrically, its a bit bland. The song doesn't have much of message beyond a "happy holidays"-type greeting. >> What? Did you listen to the lyrics? The song is about a dysfunctional family who hate eachother and never talk only getting together on hanukah. Linnell begs "The only thing we have is fights, but theres got to be a change tonight...Please be nice on this feast of lights".. Bland, happy holidays indeed... Jordan ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #24-4 *****************************