Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #24-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 24, Number 7 Tuesday, 7 December 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Horm Players Anyone? TMBG: Setlist of Linnell's 12/5/99 Schuba's show? Re: TMBG: Setlist of Linnell's 12/5/99 Schuba's show? TMBG: Re: Just a reminder... TMBG: Montana Re: TMBG: Montana TMBG: Top 100 videos Re: TMBG: Re: Just a reminder... Re: TMBG: Re: Just a reminder... TMBG: Typical MTV TMBG: TMBG on MTV TMBG: Again, should have expected this Re: TMBG: MTV-1:00 AM Re: TMBG: TMBG on MTV(with alot of swearing) TMBG: MTV and the Fine Art of Conflict Avoidance. TMBG: Time to bitch MTV out Re: TMBG: MTV and the Fine Art of Conflict Avoidance. Re: TMBG: Time to bitch MTV out (Or not) TMBG: MTV Re: TMBG: Time to bitch MTV out (Or not) Re: TMBG: Time to bitch MTV out (Or not) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <1F7756518B80D311B08D00805FE603A8147326@groexmbcr02.pfizer.com> From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: TMBG: Horm Players Anyone? Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 07:48:41 -0500 Do any of you out there in Giant Land know the names of the horn players from the John Henry tour in the spring of '94. No it's not the Velcro Horns. Trumpet: Grant London? Sax and Keyboards Kurt Hoffman? Lee Steel ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.cc73bf2a.257d2db2@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:18:10 EST Subject: TMBG: Setlist of Linnell's 12/5/99 Schuba's show? Hi everybody, If anyone here has an in-order setlist of Linnell's show at Schuba's on 12/5/99, I would really love to see it! If somebody could post a review or a rundown of the evening, that would be great, too... Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199912061706.MAA24549@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Setlist of Linnell's 12/5/99 Schuba's show? Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:06:03 -0500 (EST) > > If anyone here has an in-order setlist of Linnell's show at Schuba's on > 12/5/99, I would really love to see it! If somebody could post a review or a > rundown of the evening, that would be great, too... > Karen, After tonight's show I will try to post setlists and reviews of both shows. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 12:56:24 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <384BF8C8.AD3866C8@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Just a reminder... Uhh...I'd love to watch, but I don't know what time it's on. "I'd rather be whistling in the dark," -A Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > > Tomorrow is the first segment of MTV's special on those TVGuide Best > Videos of All Time thing. I believe they're covering 15 videos a day. > Since common sense would assume that they're starting at the end of the > list, and working their way up, TMBG being #89 on the list, their > segment should be on tomorrow (Monday). So everybody watch it! They'll > probably just say a little bit about the band and then play the video > (Don't Let's Start, incase you've forgotten). But it'll still be cool. > Who knows? There might be more. Maybe a video collage while they're > talking about 'em. > > Anyway, don't forget to watch! I'll post another reminder tomorrow. > > Love? What do you know of love?!, > Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <384BB558.7A442BB6@osu.edu> Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 13:08:41 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: TMBG: Montana I would like the lyrics to Montana. I have some State Songs lyrics that Jay G. posted a while back, but Montana is not among them. Anyone know where I can find them? My main question is, what is Linnell saying when he says, "Montana is a le...." Land? Leg? Is it leg? I am just wondering if the song is as messed-up as I think it is. Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991206181404.60160.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Montana Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 18:14:04 GMT Diana Kocar wrote: >I would like the lyrics to Montana. I have some State Songs lyrics that >Jay G. posted a while back, but Montana is not among them. Anyone know >where I can find them? My main question is, what is Linnell saying when >he says, "Montana is a le...." Land? Leg? Is it leg? It is, indeed, "leg." >I am just wondering if the song is as messed-up as I think it is. Yes, it is. -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991206191537.2279.qmail@web206.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 11:15:37 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Top 100 videos today i saw a commercial for the top 100 videos of all time on mtv and at the begining of the commercial they said TV Guide and MTV Present so does this mean we'll be seeing tmbg on mtv soon the world may never know. CHris __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All in one place. Yahoo! Shopping: http://shopping.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:12:38 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Just a reminder... Message-ID: <23266-384C18B6-10473@storefull-244.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Okay, ya'll! I just checked my TVGuide and the show starts at 8:00 p.m. pacific time. So, fire up your VCRs if you're not gonna' be at home. Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.f555a8c3.257d7670@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 15:28:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Just a reminder... In a message dated 12/6/99 3:16:08 PM, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: >Okay, ya'll! I just checked my TVGuide and the show starts at 8:00 p.m. >pacific time. So, fire up your VCRs if you're not gonna' be at home. done. i actually checked my cable box grid to find out (as i'm working from 4 til midnight.. ugh).. it's on again at 1am, but no distinction as to whether it's a rerun of the 8o'clock show or picking up where they left off. and it's on again tomorrow as well. sarah np. velvet goldmine soundtrack ------------------------------ Message-Id: <06DEC99.21888940.0035.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 20:16:03 EST From: Mike Subject: TMBG: Typical MTV I guess I should have expected this. Thirty-second snippets of each video on "100 Greatest Videos Made." Then filler and commercials. If MTV judged the videos to be so great, then why not show the whole video? I mean, I was looking forward to see some of these videos again. I should have known. Mike ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199912070152.UAA88406@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 20:50:42 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: TMBG on MTV Bah. When I saw that MTV wasn't playing the videos in their entirety I knew DLS would get about 2 seconds of airplay. It's better than being left out, I guess. Besides, where else can you see LL Cool J talking about the Johns? :) --Jason-- "Gotta find a new place to hang out, 'cause I'm tired of living in hell." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: <06DEC99.22630884.0057.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 20:57:16 EST From: Mike Subject: TMBG: Again, should have expected this Well, let's play another game of "Should Have Known Better." Of course They Might Be Giants would be given the worst treatment (at least, so far) in the "100 Greatest" countdown. I thought they would at least talk for a little bit before the video. Nope. Just went right into the video after a lengthy (by this show's standards) bit on Lenny Kravitz. And even after the twenty seconds of video were shown, all LL Cool J did was identify John and John as TMBG, give the name of the video, and said that it was shot in Queens at the old World's Fair site. I was hop- ing for more info, especially info about why this was in the Top 100 (although it's true most videos are being shown without an explanation as to why they made the cut). Again, I guess I should have known better, and should have realized that this is MTV in 1999, but I'm still disappointed. Mike, who's glad he has "Don't Let's Start" on tape already. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <0.e87fb603.257dc512@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 21:04:02 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV-1:00 AM just so you all know, all the 15 videos will be played in their entirety at 1:00 (or 1:30?). Jon-Mad because he got one phone call all day----just as Don't Let's Start was coming on! I missed LL cool j talking about tmbg...im so mad! ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <0.c7deb5db.257dc8fa@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 21:20:42 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on MTV(with alot of swearing) What a bunch of bullshit. MTV sucks. I knew they sucked when they rejected the Dr. Worm video. Well fuck you MTV. I'm going to e-mail every son of a bitch at MTV and tell them to go fuck themselves and why. Harry Pyle ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <0.7b91ade8.257dd723@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 22:21:07 EST Subject: TMBG: MTV and the Fine Art of Conflict Avoidance. The PRIMARY reason DLS was on MTV's list was probably to keep Their huge, stark-raving mad .net fanbase off of MTV's back. After all, if I was gonna pick a TMBG video to show, Id've gone with "Ana Ng," which, IMHO, is a much more attractive video. Regardless, yeah, it was pretty obvious that They were only there to cowtow to the legions of GiantHeads, to keep us from e-mail bombing MTV, or similar. If you think about it, i've got a point... All of these other videos got at least *some* meat to their descriptions, *something* more than "John Flansburgh and John Linnell are They Might Be Giants. They're from Brooklyn. This video was shot in Queens, where I grew up. Here's someone popular." After that, I promptly turned the TV over to wrestling. One hour of *my* life wasted. Jeez, there were so many other more constructive things I could have done, like study for finals, ogle pictures of women, waste time on newsgroups, set myself on fire... E-Z-0, notes that being doused in K1 and ignited is far more entertaining than watching a half-stoned Slash mumble about George Michael. ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <0.607de3ce.257dda0f@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 22:33:35 EST Subject: TMBG: Time to bitch MTV out Ok, I suggest everyone else out here on the list follows the examples of me and BirdhouseIYS by going to Mtv's website and totally bitching about their treatment of TMBG. Let's see if we can get them to air some of our comments. Although I highly doubt Mtv would ever air something negative about themselves. Here's the link. Feel free to swear. http://w ww.mtv.com/sendme.tin?page=/mtv/tubescan/100videos/ PR Mega ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d4130497.257ddaa1@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 22:36:01 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV and the Fine Art of Conflict Avoidance. The hell with it LET'S SACRIFICE THEM TO OUR GOD! As loyal tmbg fans we must rise up against the conformists. E-mail bomb them indeed. No one would have cared if they weren't on at all but they put them on and mocked them. What the hell. They pissed us off and now they will pay. SET MY PEOPLE FREE!! PREACH ON BROTHER HARRY PYLE!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19991206231220.007b3910@pop.suscom.net> Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 23:12:20 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Time to bitch MTV out (Or not) At 10:33 PM 12/6/1999 EST, you wrote: >Ok, I suggest everyone else out here on the list follows the examples of me >and BirdhouseIYS by going to Mtv's website and totally bitching about their >treatment of TMBG. Let's see if we can get them to air some of our comments. >Although I highly doubt Mtv would ever air something negative about >themselves. Here's the link. Feel free to swear. Seriously folks. Let's think about this "Let's bitch em out!" movement before anyone actually does anything. As much as we think MTV *should* air lots of Giants videos, that's just not what the station does. That's not going to happen. That's not what they do, and they suck because of it. I feel that way, I know a lot of you feel somewhat like that. I say "Hey, at least someone over there still knows good music, and it's still a pretty decent honor for the Johns, no matter how short the video clip, nonexistant the introduction, or brief the description afterwards. There's even some points you can make on their side. TMBG isn't exactly friendly with LL Cool J and Slash, those guys aren't going to have any great insights or personal stories they can share bout the band. Same for pretty much anyone MTV could've gotten on there. Also, TMBG isn't exactly the kinda band that demands or really welcomes attention like, for instance, MTV cameras following them around for a day to provide footage for shows like this. Basically, I can see a much more perfect situation, in which Moxy Fruvous, They Might Be Giants, and, more recently, Sarah Slean are recognized for the talent they have, but that's not where we were. MTV did a nice thing for the Giants, nothing to warrant a "SACRIFICE TO OUR GOD." Dylan "Mike Leffel is...people!" Flipse Dylan Flipse - dylan@flipse.com http://www.flipse.com - Just do it ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 00:10:00 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <384C96A8.C3A9580D@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: MTV I realize that MTV blows, but instead of bitching you all could be grateful that TMBG was even up there. Whether it was 30 seconds or 30 min. Who was it that did the math while BNW was still on TV? Something about, "if so many people were watching for this many min. TMBG was just introduced to so many people." And at least every video up there was only played for 30 seconds. Not like TMBG was the ONLY one to be cut down. "I'd rather be whistling in the dark," -A ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <0.5bb584b5.257df110@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 00:11:44 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Time to bitch MTV out (Or not) << MTV did a nice thing for the Giants, nothing to warrant a "SACRIFICE TO OUR GOD." >> Do what you want about it, or nothing at all if it suits you. But I'm sick of it. I'm pissed at Mtv in general, so I let them know. I left them some feedback. It isn't much, but I didn't just lay down and die and take it this crap like you're suggesting. Mtv didn't exactly do TMBG a favor by rejecting Dr. Worm, so I let them know it pissed me off. Sure, Mtv isn't showing as many works of good music as we might like them to, but if you don't say something, they won't know that anyone actually gives a damn. So, do what you want. IMO, Mtv showing 30 sec of DLS doesn't justify for the crappy treatment of TMBG and other good bands. I'm letting them know. It isn't hard. So don't bitch at them if you don't want to. But I'm not letting them off the hook. PR Mega ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <0.7a78b9d7.257df3ad@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 00:22:53 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Time to bitch MTV out (Or not) What I just dont understand is... WHY was Don't Let's Start even PICKED if MTV wasnt going to SAY WHY? For every video, they had some explanation about why it was great, or influential, or revolutionary...but there was no explanation for Don't Let's Start. I do not understand why it was ON the countdown. Imagine if you've never heard of TMBG and was watching. What the hell did you just see? I would have been very very confused..."Whats so special about this?" I just don't get it. I don't get MTV's reason for picking it...They could have at least had an introduction. The way it was presented was terrible, like it was out of nowhere, like TMBG is some fantasy band that existed in an alternate universe that somehow found its way onto the countdown...which I know isnt true, cause MTV DID use to play TMBG, so I've heard...they could have at least acknowledged that, and the history of the video on the network. Because otherwise it was just confusing. Jordan ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #24-7 *****************************