Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #24-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 24, Number 8 Wednesday, 8 December 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: TMBG on MTV Re: TMBG: Time to bitch MTV out (Or not) TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #24-7 TMBG: Re: MTV bitching TMBG: New Guy TMBG: TMBG Top 100 TMBG: MTV Top 100 Videos Re: TMBG: MTV Top 100 Videos TMBG: SETI@home TMBG: Setlist for Linnell's show at Schuba's on 12/6/99? SEMI-TMBG: Candy Butcher's/Divine Comedy Re: TMBG: MTV Top 100 Videos Re: SEMI-TMBG: Candy Butcher's/Divine Comedy NON-TMBG: The Replacements Re: SEMI-TMBG: Candy Butcher's/Divine Comedy Re: TMBG: Re: MTV bitching Re: TMBG: Re: MTV bitching TMBG: top 100 videos Re: TMBG: MTV Top 100 Videos Re: TMBG: MTV Top 100 Videos TMBG: TMBG Web page translated into Valley Girl-speak TMBG: MTV can go shove it up their... TMBG: Oh, you guys... TMBG: midis Re: TMBG: midis Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.83a2bc30.257e1430@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 02:41:36 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on MTV In a message dated 12/6/99 8:52:58 PM, jdf179@psu.edu writes: >When I saw that MTV wasn't playing the videos in their entirety I knew >DLS >would get about 2 seconds of airplay. It's better than being left out, >I >guess. duh.... eh? i missed the 8 o'clock ep, but i'm watching now, and the entire video was just on. it's on from 1 am - 3 or 3:30, too, so.. possibly the prime time version was a condensed version? anywho, for what it's worth... the entire video was played. very surreal.:) ...even if it was 2:27 in the morning. sarah ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.607fbead.257e15e9@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 02:48:57 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Time to bitch MTV out (Or not) In a message dated 12/7/99 12:24:02 AM, HallOfEyes@aol.com writes: >Imagine if you've never heard of TMBG and was watching. What the hell >did >you just see? I would have been very very confused..."Whats so special >about >this?" > ahh, this whole special is a joke. when i flipped it on, the replacements video was on. and what a lame video it was. the entire thing was a shot of a speaker. i've never seen any videos of [hi we're the] replacements, but i'm sure they have ones better than that. and the u2 one was a yawner as well. i have a short attention span, so can you imagine the average mtv-viewer's complete boredom and confusion with all of this. the janet jackson video that was on following tmbg, was probably picked because 2/3rd of it is closeups of her boobs and bum. pretty pathetic. "greatest videos ever made" my ass. i'm just really surprised they included tmbg... it's so not like mtv. :) sarah ------------------------------ From: KingoPuns@aol.com Message-ID: <0.514ee2fb.257e16d6@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 02:52:54 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #24-7 In a message dated 12/6/99 11:08:33 PM Pacific Standard Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << TMBG isn't exactly friendly with LL Cool J and Slash, those guys aren't going to have any great insights or personal stories they can share bout the band. Same for pretty much anyone MTV could've gotten on there. >> I agree with the rest of what you were saying Dylan, but Matt Pinfield would have been great. He could have given voice to the fact TMBG used to frequent 120 minutes for live performances. Me Kingopuns ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: <0.ce6d3374.257e2370@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 03:46:40 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: MTV bitching Hello 41- About bitching about MTV. I don't think this is the appropriate response. First of all, when you all saw that MTV was doing 15 videos in an hour it should have been pretty obvious that the entire thing wasn't going to be shown. I think it is very cool that they are showing the entire video later at night. As far as prime time goes, this is pretty typical. A two hour show playing a lot of music that many people haven't heard of isn't going to get them great ratings. Keep in mind, MTV is an entertainment vehicle, not an educational one. So if you can, watch the one at one PM, the entire video of some of these are really cool and very rarely get played on MTV at all. And as far as TMBG's treatment, think of it this way. How easy is it for you to explain TMBG's allure and genius to a friend that is allready interested? How many newspaper articles are there that have had many paragraphs to explain it and can't. I think MTV did maybe not the best job in the world describing it, but one that was good enough. Imagine if you were a huge Prodigy fan and the original thing they say is how "ill" his hair is. LL Cool J didn't call the video quirky brilliance or anything. They played it. It was rated higher than George Michaels and Green Day. Take your victories where you can get them. ~Adam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 08:13:50 -0500 Message-Id: <199912070813.AA1436614904@megahits.com> From: "Lee Steel" Subject: TMBG: New Guy 1 ADAM 12 SEE THE MAN @ www.guitar.com wearing the THEY t-shirt! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19991207081524.0087a100@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 08:15:24 -0500 From: Jen Subject: TMBG: TMBG Top 100 I just figure somebody on the judging panel likes TMBG. I mean, if I were choosing the top 100 videos, I'd make sure my personal favorite got in there, so maybe the last 20 are just videos someone liked. And "Don't Let's Start" happens to be my favorite video. In fact, I think I'll watch it again now in my handy mpg. - SpiderEyes / Jen ------------------------------ Message-ID: <5D0478DD31B2D21194E90090273C41D3BFC476@az15m06.iac.honeywell.com> From: "Pletikapich, John (OH35)" Subject: TMBG: MTV Top 100 Videos Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 07:44:25 -0700 Well, I too am disappointed at the 30 second snippet of the DLS video. I haven't seen the video since it was actually in rotation on MTV. And I must confess I didn't remember it at all. (The Ana Ng video was what turned me on to TMBG.) I may have to go out and buy the video compilation, who knows. I would like to add that I was unimpressed by several videos. Calling the Replacements' video the best of all time was sheer folly. By the way, the speaker was upside-down. You would never put tweeters next to the floor. Also the Prodigy video was pretty weak. I have limited exposure to this group, but I expected some- thing more powerful. On the otherhand, I was amused by seeing the Billy Idol video again. The video adds greatly to a pretty much disposable song. Like everyone else, I would like to know what sort of criteria were used to justify inclusion on the list. I doubt if I'll watch any more of the series. -- John ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.b363daa8.257e7ea7@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:15:51 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV Top 100 Videos In a message dated 12/7/99 9:59:27 AM Eastern Standard Time, John.Pletikapich@iac.honeywell.com writes: << Well, I too am disappointed at the 30 second snippet of the DLS video. I haven't seen the video since it was actually in rotation on MTV. And I must confess I didn't remember it at all. (The Ana Ng video was what turned me on to TMBG.) I may have to go out and buy the video compilation, who knows. I would like to add that I was unimpressed by several videos. Calling the Replacements' video the best of all time was sheer folly. By the way, the speaker was upside-down. You would never put tweeters next to the floor. Also the Prodigy video was pretty weak. I have limited exposure to this group, but I expected some- thing more powerful. On the otherhand, I was amused by seeing the Billy Idol video again. The video adds greatly to a pretty much disposable song. Like everyone else, I would like to know what sort of criteria were used to justify inclusion on the list. I doubt if I'll watch any more of the series. -- John >> Well, since that 30 second snippet, they have played the entire video twice, with an intro by Carson Daly which wasn't too shabby by MTV's standards, and the following similar comments made by LL Cool J, who I believe treated the Johns with the same respect he would've shown to any other artist he wasn't familiar with (but he seemed pleased to mention the fact that the They vid was shot in Queens, where he is from). And it was a nice segueway betwwen TMBG and Janet Jackson when LL mentioned "artists who have done so much for music video," so it sounded like he was talking about both artists. Having Don't Let's come in above what is probably Lenny Kravitz's best vid is quite an accomplishment. MTV said the 100 videos were chosen out of 11,000 in their vast collection -- I sure hope the Johns got to catch their blip on the mainstream map as it happened (or that someone taped it for them, at least). The Johns have made a bit of music history again, and I couldn't be happier. Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991207151606.95010.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: TMBG: SETI@home Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 10:16:06 EST I was looking at my stats today on SETI's website, and our little team has now grown to 106 members with 18.84 years of CPU time between us! For anyone who doesn't know what this is all about, SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) has a free program you can download that allows your computer to analyze data from a radio telescope. See www.tmbg.net/~seti for more info (or you can try seti.tmbg.net but it didn't work for me). Amy :) ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.7c8075a6.257e8071@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:23:29 EST Subject: TMBG: Setlist for Linnell's show at Schuba's on 12/6/99? Hello again everyone, Anyone got an in-order setlist of John L.'s show at Schuba's last night? Did Justin Roberts open for the show again? If you would be so kind, please let us know how the evening went! Did John mention anything about TMBG's vid being on the MTV countdown? Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199912071541.KAA09897@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: SEMI-TMBG: Candy Butcher's/Divine Comedy Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:41:39 -0500 (EST) Hey all, I was reading the latest issue of Muse which is a UK fanzine for the band The Divine Comedy and they were interviewing one of the band members as to their favorite albums. One of the albums listed was a Candy Butcher's album. I've forgotten the name, but I didn't even know they had a new album out. Has anyone heard this and, if so, is it any good? All I have is the EP Live at the Bon..whatever. Whenever the D.C. guy gets over to the States, especially New York he tries to meet up with Mike Viola or see the shows or whatever,so now I've found a connection between the D.C. and TMBG! Unfortunately, this excellent, superb band doesn't get played much here in the States 8-( -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991207154446.5695.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV Top 100 Videos Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 07:44:46 PST >>Also the Prodigy video was pretty weak. I have limited exposure to this >group, but I expected some- >thing more powerful. Was it Smack my Bitch Up? That video is hilarious. Good song, too. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19991207104502.00961460@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 10:46:12 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: SEMI-TMBG: Candy Butcher's/Divine Comedy Yeah, they have a full-length out, but...well, I guess it depends on your taste in music. I liked the live EP, but the full length strikes me as being pretty Matchbox 20/Edwin McCain-ish. In other words, wholly uninteresting. :-P -Adam At 10:41 AM 12/7/99 -0500, Matt James wrote: >Hey all, >I was reading the latest issue of Muse which is a UK fanzine for the band >The Divine Comedy and they were interviewing one of the band members as to >their favorite albums. One of the albums listed was a Candy Butcher's album. >I've forgotten the name, but I didn't even know they had a new album out. Has >anyone heard this and, if so, is it any good? All I have is the EP Live at >the Bon..whatever. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199912071714.MAA15105@orford.valley.net> Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 12:17:09 -0500 Subject: NON-TMBG: The Replacements From: "Robert L. Grabill II" In all fairness, the Replacements video with the speaker is kind of a cult favorite. I'm not sure if this was shown, but in the end, he kicks it. And it's not just a shot of a speaker. There's feet there too. So bleh. -Rob ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 12:46:18 -0500 Subject: Re: SEMI-TMBG: Candy Butcher's/Divine Comedy Message-ID: <19991207.124700.-357511.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > One of the albums listed was a Candy > Butcher's album. > I've forgotten the name, but I didn't even know they had a new album > out. well after the fiasco with their self titled album they have, indeed, released one - Fall In Place. it's very nice - go check it out! "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Why pay more to get Web access? Try Juno for FREE -- then it's just $9.95/month if you act NOW! Get your free software today: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991207185650.23218.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MTV bitching Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 18:56:49 GMT Adam wrote: >About bitching about MTV. I don't think this is the appropriate response. On this list? When have you known the people here NOT to bitch? >A two hour >show playing a lot of music that many people haven't heard of isn't >going >to get them great ratings. I can't see how eight-year-long Real World marathons or having ninety minutes of commercials for every half-hour of actual programming is going to get them great ratings either, but I'm not an MTV executive. As for "music that many people haven't heard of," I don't remember the entire list, but most of the artists in it were pretty famous, I think. I mean, you'd have to be living under a rock not to have heard of...what's your name again? "Michael Jackson." "Doesn't ring a bell." "Have you ever heard of Motown?" "No." "MTV?" "No." "Beat It?" "YOU beat it!" "Thriller?" "Wait, what was that last one?" "Thriller." "No." -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan, taking advantage of Simpsons quoting opportunities since 1847 DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19991207142851.00968100@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 14:34:30 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MTV bitching At 06:56 PM 12/7/99 +0000, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >I can't see how eight-year-long Real World marathons or having ninety >minutes of commercials for every half-hour of actual programming is going >to get them great ratings either, but I'm not an MTV executive. It really is true, though. Bear in mind that most people are stupid, and if these stupid people would stop watching those God-awful marathons, MTV wouldn't show them anymore. >As for "music that many people haven't heard of," I don't remember the >entire list, but most of the artists in it were pretty famous, I think. I >mean, you'd have to be living under a rock not to have heard of...what's >your name again? I agree. Even if the names of the bands don't ring a bell, a good 85% of those would ring a bell once you hear the song. -Adam ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <0.caa0eb82.257ebfe3@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 14:54:11 EST Subject: TMBG: top 100 videos all of you negative nellies out there seem to forget that mtv said tmbg was in the top 100 videos of ALL TIME they even liked it better than "are you gonna go my way" and i may be wrong but i dont think lenny has another video in the top 100. think about how many videos come out in a year there must be hundreds. and this is the best of ALL TIME! for tmbg to even be considered by main stream USA as one of the top videos is amazing to me. i wasnt even expecting anyone to even mention john or john let alone where it was filmed. I was very happy with the whole thing. knowing mtv it should have been a hell of a lot worse than it was. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <0.343cdf53.257ecc83@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 15:48:03 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV Top 100 Videos In a message dated 12/7/1999 10:18:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, MuseKJ@aol.com writes: << Well, since that 30 second snippet, they have played the entire video twice, with an intro by Carson Daly which wasn't too shabby by MTV's standards >> What exactly did Carson say? I was interupted by a phone call! Arghh.... Jon ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.6126307.257ed79a@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:35:22 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV Top 100 Videos In a message dated 12/7/99 3:48:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, MrBean43 writes: << << Well, since that 30 second snippet, they have played the entire video twice, with an intro by Carson Daly which wasn't too shabby by MTV's standards >> What exactly did Carson say? I was interupted by a phone call! Arghh.... >> He said: "Right now, we're about to roll out a video from John Flansburgh and John Linnell, otherwise known as They Might Be Giants. Don't Let's Start was directed by Adam Bernstein and shot in Flushing, Queens, on the site of the 1964 World's Fair. An artsy, post-punk experiment borrowed from the New York Underground, that perfectly captures the quirky duo. Check it out..." Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <384D816B.E4AF9ED4@st.com> Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 14:51:39 -0700 From: Russ Josephson Organization: STMicroelectronics, Inc Subject: TMBG: TMBG Web page translated into Valley Girl-speak I just found this page http://www.80s.com/Entertainment/ValleyURL/ and used it to translate the TMBG page at http://www.tmbg.org/band-info into: Who are Anyway, they Might Be Giants? Don't know what all this is totally about, perhaps you should read this first. Chords, Lyrics and Interpretations Like, the important thing like, you know, about any band is totally the music they produce. Like, Here you can browse all the albums, and all the songs, looking for that important factoid like, you know, about your favorite song. We totally have lyrics, chords, and interpretations for most all of the songs, with some MIDI and real audio files mixed in. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) I am SO sure! Like, oh my gawd Like, these questions are asked over and over and over again. If you read this you totally won't be the one to ask them. The Discography A comprehensive listing of all the recordings Anyway, they totally have ever released, including solo works and collaborations. A wonderful reference. Early Years Q&A Anyway... Sooo, like, this document details the pre-Elektra years of the band, including questions like, you know, about the demo tape and first two albums, as well as early shows. ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.8a47bef2.257ef3b4@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 18:35:16 EST Subject: TMBG: MTV can go shove it up their... Personally, I think at least one of the Johns should have hosted. MTV just plays to hip-hop and such. They suck anyway. Continue E-mail bombing *now*. Rick "Well fuck you MTV." - Harry Pyle ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.611ee3a.257ef4d1@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 18:40:01 EST Subject: TMBG: Oh, you guys... I just tried to send my regards to MTV, and found I could not reach the website because it was overloaded or something. Really, guys. Keep at it! Crash their frigging server for all I care. Or hack into it, and put TMBG at the top of the list. Rick Yeah! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 00:07:43 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <82kriq$2r20$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: midis Hey everyone, Steven Shilling has posted these links to several midis of tmbg songs he made on the tmbg newsgroup, and I thought I'd help share them with you guys. http://members.xoom.com/njxsteve/BoatOfCar.mid http://members.xoom.com/njxsteve/32Footsteps.mid . http://members.xoom.com/njxsteve/Rat_Patrol.mid http://members.xoom.com/njxsteve/Older.mid "And I tried to make Triboro, but I just gave up after I realized I couldn't figure out how to play Linnell's keyboard solo towards the end of it... so this one's unfinished:" http://members.xoom.com/njxsteve/triboro.mid -He also did a midi for Certain People, but I don't know the link for it. It probably wouldn't be hard to guess though. -Jay ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 21:57:02 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: midis Message-ID: <21345-384DF32E-2801@storefull-243.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Here's CPICN - http://members.xoom.com/njxsteve/certainpeople.mid Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #24-8 *****************************