Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #24-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 24, Number 9 Thursday, 9 December 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Carson Daly said the Q word! TMBG: Re: Carson Daly said the Q word! TMBG: Mime-Version: 1.0 TMBG: John Linnell Sings Olive, The Other Raindeer? TMBG: linell chat TMBG: Linell chat at 8 pm EST tonight TMBG: Tonight's chat. TMBG: Linnell Chatters TMBG: Linnell Chat Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat TMBG: Why Don't you cry about it (can i see some tears) TMBG: Tonight's Linnell Chat TMBG: Linnell's chat TMBG: Linnell 12/8/99 chat transcript TMBG: The Statesmen, live in Chicago 12/5/99 TMBG: Re: Linnell 12/8/99 chat transcript TMBG: The Statesmen, Chicago, 12/6/99 Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell 12/8/99 chat transcript TMBG: John Linnell Chat 12/8 Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell 12/8/99 chat transcript Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: <0.c3666dc.257fe562@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:46:26 EST Subject: TMBG: Carson Daly said the Q word! An artsy, post-punk experiment borrowed from the New York Underground, that perfectly captures the QUIRKY duo. Check it out..." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 15:26:07 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <82mih1$hg7$2@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Carson Daly said the Q word! wrote ... > An artsy, post-punk experiment borrowed > from the New York Underground, that > perfectly captures the QUIRKY duo. Check it out..." Well, what did you expect? It's a miracle that MTV played TMBG at all. If MTV had both played TMBG *and* avoided using the word quirky, then I would've started running for the bomb shelter, cause that's a sure sign of the apocalypse. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19991208162329.0096b250@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 16:27:54 -0500 From: the hanged man Subject: TMBG: Mime-Version: 1.0 I happened to be looking for something in the TMBG discography today, and I came across this: Johnny Hart Johnny Hart Sings Olive, The Other Raindeer single 1997 Sep? John Linnell is Johnny Hart. Written by J. Otto Seibold and Vivian Walsh. And I though, didn't I see a commercial on Fox or something for a Christmas Special that was by the same name? The weird show with a poorly drawn dog? Do you suppose there is a connection. And does anyone know about this song? And does anyone know where I can get it. And... and... okay, thanks. Later, the hanged man ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 15:51:21 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <82mis6$hsm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: John Linnell Sings Olive, The Other Raindeer? Posted to the mailing list. the hanged man wrote... > I happened to be looking for something in the TMBG discography today, and I > came across this: > > Johnny Hart > Johnny Hart Sings Olive, The Other Raindeer > single > 1997 Sep? > > John Linnell is Johnny Hart. > Written by J. Otto Seibold and Vivian Walsh. > > And I though, didn't I see a commercial on Fox or something for a Christmas > Special that was by the same name? The weird show with a poorly drawn dog? > Do you suppose there is a connection. And does anyone know about this > song? And does anyone know where I can get it. And... and... okay, thanks. > > Later, > the hanged man > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991208225702.79176.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "deion $ander$" Subject: TMBG: linell chat Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 17:57:02 EST okay, a little while ago, someone posted a message about a chat with linell that will take place tonight (Wed.). i lost that post, so if anyone can tell me where and when that is, i will love you long time. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:25:38 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <82moct$lg2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Linell chat at 8 pm EST tonight deion $ander$ wrote ... > okay, a little while ago, someone posted a message about a chat with linell > that will take place tonight (Wed.). i lost that post, so if anyone can tell > me where and when that is, i will love you long time. John Linnell will be conducting an online chat tonight, December 8, at 8:00 p.m. EST at http://www.twec.com. Please join him as he discusses "State Songs" and much more. -Jay ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <0.8c698154.2580424d@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 18:22:53 EST Subject: TMBG: Tonight's chat. The chat at twec.com, while starting at 8, is already attracting chatters, mainly PK5K 'l33t fAnKiDz... so, hurry on down, and reserve a spot. Look for Hooper_X. That would be me. E-Z-0, out. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991208234449.97267.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "eRiCh Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Linnell Chatters Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 15:44:49 PST someone should ask him about the Olive, the other reindeer song! I gotta work at 5 (thats when it will be going my time) so if someone can transcribe it in case its uncopyable like yahoo's are that would be cool. if not i hope they archive it really quick. eRiCh ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.97df8962.25804e6e@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 19:14:38 EST Subject: TMBG: Linnell Chat Help! If any of you are online, I need serious backup in the chat room! The band Powerman 5000 is also there, and their fans are really dumb. Please help me! ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <0.30551b6d.25805c6e@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 20:14:22 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat Ok, I need help...where the hell do I go to get to the chat? I can't find a link on TWEC or anything...HELP!! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991209002601.24255.qmail@web209.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 16:26:01 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Why Don't you cry about it (can i see some tears) ...about the 100 videos of all time ok so we all know mtv are the suckeyest sucks that ever sucked (excuse my quoteing of simpsons) but i mean really they made ll cool j talk about they might be giants if you were expecting anything more than that then all i got to say is "is the wiwwle baby gonna cry? cry for me! -Chris on a lighter note, i saw this monster ballads commercial and the guy on the commercial was trying to promote great deals at their web site said "free music! that's better than drugs!" also i made 80% of my grade want to start reading bouroughs and i'm still not sure how, and I'M NOT A JERK i don't have to go to that damn social event i can just buy roses HA HA. __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All in one place. Yahoo! Shopping: http://shopping.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <0.a8316899.25806760@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 21:01:04 EST Subject: TMBG: Tonight's Linnell Chat Wow... that was pretty neat. John answered *six* of my questions. Lucky butt pipe TDK got a signed CD. Anyway, here's what I heard: *Peter Pan Thing: One song is about the Lost Boys,and another is Captain Hook singing about how eeeevil he is. There are other songs on there that aren't done yet. *John was nonplussed by DLS being #89 on MTV's list. There was other stuff too. ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <0.bc3c194b.25806bab@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 21:19:23 EST Subject: TMBG: Linnell's chat Well, I got there late, but here are two of the cooler things that I got out of it: SPEAKER_John Linnell> First Kiss appeared on Severe Tire Damage, and both songs are in our repetoire. Rest Awhile will be on the next record, and maybe First Kiss as well. SPEAKER_John Linnell> I've made up a bunch of shirts, and I sell them at shows. They'll also be available from the website soon, or from our catalog (TMBG). Bitchin. PR Mega ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 20:41:25 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <82n3t5$rsg$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Linnell 12/8/99 chat transcript I got most of the chat, what little I didn't cut-and-paste at the beginning I paraphrased. The order might be a bit screwed up, as the HTML chat posted the messages backwards, but I think it's all here. -What's the back cover of State Songs supposed to be? give us a clue. JL - want to keep it a mystery, goes with the front cover Q - is a House of Mayors LP likely? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't have a contract, but I think Rounder would be into doing more State Songs. House of Mayors is more esoteric, and I think State Songs is a good project for Rounder to handle. Sir Rubber Duckie> Hey John, do you really play guitar and bass on this album, or does Rounder have their information wrong? SPEAKER_John Linnell> Well the bass is all sequencer, so I played a keyboard to generate the bass lines. You can tell the guitar I played, it's the really cruddy ones! tdk> Were any of the State Songs from your Hello EP re-recorded for the album? SPEAKER_John Linnell> They weren't re-recorded, but remixed. I fattened the basses out and made the low end a little better. JAPrufock> is there some sort of "golden thread" or concept behind State Songs, linking the album together? SPEAKER_John Linnell> There is a golden thread mentioned in the title track. I think what links them all is that they're all by me, and they're all about states. It's kind of hard to say what makes them all belong together. MacBheathain> is west virginia about one of those sets of dolls that fit inside each other? SPEAKER_John Linnell> Nope. SPEAKER_John Linnell> It's partly inspired by Georgie Girl, "There's another Georgie deep inside." kingpin14> You play fake guitar on track 2. What's that? SPEAKER_John Linnell> It's a synth. We put the sound of it through a guitar amp, put some spring reverb on it, and remic-ed it. conga_boy> Do you have a preferance for venue sizes? I saw TMBG in October with a crowd of only abou 500 people. It was great. Do you prever largue crowds? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I like the small crowds. I also think there's a point where if the crowd is too small, then it's a little nerve racking, a little too intimate. Hypertext Eye> John, we are all anxiously awaiting the children's album. when can we expect that to be released? SPEAKER_John Linnell> We haven't started recording yet. Sometime next year, but I'm not sure when exactly. Hooper_X> John: What happened to "Stump The Band?" SPEAKER_John Linnell> It kind of ran its course, and we haven't come up with a new interactive thing for the audience. We were actually stumped so many times, we had to get on with the shows! Lost> What do you do in order to perpare before a show you do? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I drink a lot of coffee, and bring some more on stage with me. I recently started taking naps before performing, and that helps a lot. chimpoo> I heard you started writing State Songs around the time of Lincoln, did you ever think you would release an album 11 years later? SPEAKER_John Linnell> You never know, we certainly started enough projects that went nowhere! We knew the stuff would wind up somewhere, but it's always a surprise. It's reallya speculative activity, song writing. Alex Zero> my firends and I always try to figure this out, in Triangle man what does each man represent? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't have the answer for that . It's an open-ended song that invites you to use your imagination to figure out what the songs about. I would say that they don't represent anything, it's just a song with a bunch of characters. JayG> For the Brave New World Shows, how did you decide who would write each song? was it a flip of the coin, or did one of you go, "oh, I have an idea for a song about that..."? SPEAKER_John Linnell> We went back and forth. We started with a song that had already been written - You're Older. From that point on John and I alternated writing songs. DrFrank> We used "James K. Polk" in our AP US History class as a teaching resource, it was great fun, i wanted to thank you a lot, most kids did not appreciate the song, i or course did, I wanted to know what inspired you to write the song though? SPEAKER_John Linnell> It was curiousity mainly. We were trying to think of things that we didn't know much about. We knew there was a President named Polk, but not much about what he'd done. So we started researching him and discovered he was an important historical figure. Donkey> What happened to Flansy's finger in October? SPEAKER_John Linnell> He fell and broke it. But he's been working (ever since) Hooper_X> Almighty John: What's the current status of the Peter Pan sequel, and your songs for it? SPEAKER_John Linnell> We haven't finished that one yet. We're still working on it. One song is about the Lost Boys, and the other is Captain Hook singing about his own greatness. They're both great, and we'll be doing a couple more as well. Luna> Are TMBG going to play on the Daily Show millennium special? SPEAKER_John Linnell> Yes we are. We actually provided all the incidental music, and then we performed all the live music as well. JackHoff> What are you doing for New Year's Eve John? SPEAKER_John Linnell> Crouching under my sofa! We're not performing anywhere. Charles Ponzi> Where do you find all the cool openers you use on the TMBG tours? SPEAKER_John Linnell> We often get recommendations from our office, and occasionally from our booking agent. Occasionally we have some we like, and we try to get them. We've generally had good luck, but there have been a few bands where the audience appeared almost openly hostile. mrbean432> I heard something about there being 2 cartoons made for 2 of your songs on Nickelodeon, when is this happening? SPEAKER_John Linnell> Those will both be done soon, and they will appear on the show called Kablam. One is an animated video for Why Does the Sun Shine, and the other is called Doctor Worm. Sjimon_> What are some of the State Songs that you have cooked up in Linnell Land that we don't know about? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I've probably got another 10 or 15 done, and ideas for others. I still haven't written the home states - New York and Massachusetts. tdk> John, what do you think about MP3s on the net that are of live TMBG performances? SPEAKER_John Linnell> As long as they're not being sold, I don't have a problem. Once people start to make money with them, we want to know about it. But otherwise, it's good promotion. Baruma> I've noticed that the chords (keyboard) played for both "Iowa" and "Dan vs. Cog/Shoehorn Intro" have a similar sound. Were they written around the same time, or is it just a coincidence? :) SPEAKER_John Linnell> It's the same keyboard player, so that's the connection. marsilies> the tmbg.org discography has you listed as Johnny Hart singing the theme song for "Olive, the other Reindeer" is this true? SPEAKER_John Linnell> Yeah. Destin> What made you decide to become one of the first known artists to embrace the mp3 format? SPEAKER_John Linnell> We didn't make that decision, we were given an offer. We were offered money to put out material we already had out in the MP3 format. Luna> You and Flansy should write a Broadway musical! Ever thought of doing that? SPEAKER_John Linnell> Not really. We've had people suggest that, but that's not really our scene. RabidChild> How on *earth* are you going to get a band organ on the Bowery Ballroom's stage? SPEAKER_John Linnell> We'll find out on Saturday! It's not so huge that it won't fit, but moving it around will be an interesting challenge. As well as getting it mic-ed up with the band. RabidChild> Will "Two People in Love" (a.k.a. "What Is Everyone Staring At?") ever see the light of day? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't know. I know what you're referring to, but I don't know if that song will ever be out on anything. roach> Are you going to release any christmas albums? SPEAKER_John Linnell> No plans for that. chimpoo> John, the band organ was a unique idea for the State Songs volume 1, do you have any other ideas for "odd" instruments you might use in the future? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't really like any instruments simply because they're odd. I think the band organ is part of a large category of instruments, and the possiblity is there for me to get into similar insturments. I'd like to. TMBeJN> Have you ever had The Beatles or any other 60s rock bands influence you? SPEAKER_John Linnell> Yes I have! The Beatles were a great influence, and the list is a long boring one. If you sense our music reminds you of something, and it came before us, then it probably did have an influence on us. Sjimon_> John, when will we receive the new TMBG studio album, and what are some of the prospects for the new label? SPEAKER_John Linnell> That is still an open question. We want to put out a record next year, and one way or another we will. But we don't know under what auspices. tdk> John, what happed to "Rest Awhile" and "First Kiss"? SPEAKER_John Linnell> First Kiss appeared on Severe Tire Damage, and both songs are in our repetoire. Rest Awhile will be on the next record, and maybe First Kiss as well. phan> new tour dates decided yet? SPEAKER_John Linnell> Nope, no tour planned at the moment. We're home for a while. Hooper_X> John: How do you feel about Don't Let's Start being chosen as one of the Top 100 Music Videos Ever by TV Guide and MTV? SPEAKER_John Linnell> That sounds great. I generally am not into those lists, I sort of have an allergic reaction to Top 10 and Top 100 lists. But it's flattering nonetheless. JayG> how do you guys write the 'made to order' songs, like Dr. Evil. Is the writing process any different that that of your other songs? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I'd say it's probably easier to write a made-to-order song, except when alot of revisions are required. mrbean432> John, I love Sensurround! IS there any possibility it will be released on a new album, or is it strictly a B-side? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I think it would be nice to put that one on an album. We haven't figured out when or how that one is coming out. cooldudette> Who is that lady singing on the Dr. Evil song? SPEAKER_John Linnell> That's Robin "Goldie" Goldwasser, aka Mrs. John Flansburg. Freakboy12> John, it seems like TMBG has been making less music videos than in early years. DO you plan on making some videos for the next album next year? SPEAKER_John Linnell> One of the harsh realities of videos is that they cost a huge amount of money. If we get signed and get money for one, then we'll certainly do one. Otherwise, it prohibitively expensive. phan> how do you balance marrieage and music career? SPEAKER_John Linnell> It's all a matter of planning out your time. At the moment, I'm confronting that issue by watching my one year old while doing this chat! roach> Have you ever thought of letting the fans naming the album or making the cover? SPEAKER_John Linnell> No, definitely not. Not that I have negative feelings about the fans. I'm just not into any kind of "interactivity." I think the artist should do everything, and the fans should not be called upon for anything. I wasn't being mean. Baruma> What images came to your mind when writing the 1st track "Illinois?" Hofbrau> John, What musical training have you had, you seem to incorporate a lot of neo-classical technique in some songs off he new album (ala Philip Glass) SPEAKER_John Linnell> I'm not really a student of Philip Glass. I don't think he's really neo-classical, though. I think in a very un-schooled way, I've been influenced by many things in the century I grew up in. kevboy> John, I am in a two-person band that is extremely influenced by TMBG. We also use a Drum machine, and I was wondering what type of Drum Machine you used when it was just John and John? SPEAKER_John Linnell> We used a bunch. We started out with the Yamaha RX-11, a mid-80s one. That was for the first album. For the second album we got the Alesis HR-16, the grey wedge-like one. phan> any advice for musicians thinking of relocating to pusrue music? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I think that it's something you may want to do if you're in your early 20s! I moved to NY when I was 21, but if you have a decent job, you probably don't want to throw it away to pursue your mad dream of music somewhere else. Announcement> John, Dial-A-Song has been broken for over a year... any plans to fix it? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't know if that's totally true. It works off and on, and we haven't forgotten about it. We're doing our best to keep it running all the time. Hooper_X> John: Exactly how many instruments can you play? I can't think of one that you *can't* play! SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't really play the guitar, properly. I can't play brass, and I'm not a great drummer. I play either keyboards or single reed woodwinds. Sir Rubber Duckie> Do you have any plans to form a steady side project band like Flans did with Mono Puff? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I think this is as steady as it can get. I have a group called the Statesmen that I tour with - California, Chicago, the East Coast. That's my side band for the moment, we'll see where it goes. Announcement> John, can you tell us about your touring band, The Statesman? SPEAKER_John Linnell> It consists of a drummer Mark Donato, bassist Mark Lerner, and Dan Miller - the guitarist who also plays with They Might Be Giants. Hooper_X> John: Flansburgh and yourself have a notable aversion to actually appearing in the album art for your albums... Why? SPEAKER_John Linnell> We don't have an aversion, we just generally don't do it. We want people to pay attention to the music, not the two guys making it. Announcement> John, we all want State Songs T-shirts and hats and mousepads! When can we expect State Songs merchandise? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I've made up a bunch of shirts, and I sell them at shows. They'll also be available from the website soon, or from our catalog (TMBG). Hooper_X> John: I just want to let you know that I think that you're a positive role model for people today, unlike a lot of acts that glorify booze and drugs, you've always seemed to keep it pretty clean. Thank you! SPEAKER_John Linnell> Thanks. JAPrufrock> Is Utah's "collective will" a Mormon reference? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I think it's more of a general reference to a beehive. Announcement> John, I noticed you used a white mother-of-pearl accordion recently in a State Songs In-store, not the usual red one. Why did you switch? SPEAKER_John Linnell> I have this great little white accordian that's very small that I use for in-stores and radio appearances. MODERATOR> TWEC.com would like to thank John Linnell for stopping by tonight! any last words? SPEAKER_John Linnell> Everyone is invited to our upcoming Boston and DC shows. Please check the website and local listing for dates and times. There's also an item for sale in certain selected stores. There's a Montana single in vinyl, which is a cutout of the US. Get those while you can, or you'll have to pay $1000 on eBay next year! Thanks to all the fans who buy our stuff and come to shows. We hope to see you out and about next year. MODERATOR> A complete transcript will be available in the coming days on www.twec.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199912090233.VAA24296@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: TMBG: The Statesmen, live in Chicago 12/5/99 Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 21:33:18 -0500 (EST) The Statesmen, Schuba's, 12/5/99 I had never been to Schuba's before, but it turns out to be quite a nice little club, very intimate. I miss the days of being able to see TMBG in a venue like this. The Sunday night show was quite good. The band were fresh, having just flown in from NYC, and John was in a good mood. Here's the set list: Songs of the 50 States Maine (John has started singing "reclining on my face") Idaho ("This is a state that not many people are from, so we can speak freely here...") North to Alaska (the classic Johhny Horton song. Mush!) Utah Hew Hampshire (This song captures exactly my feelings about this state.) Mississippi Arkansas Oregon Iowa (With a kicking harmonica solo by Mark Donato, who is from the Mick Fleetwood/Animal school of drumming. Strangely fascinating to watch, especially when he is singing while playing. Linnell's voice cracked during this, a sign of things to come...) Pennsylvania Nebraska (a Bruce Springsteen song) Montana (which single I bought at the show) Michigan encore: Maryland, My Maryland (the actual MD state song) West Virginia ("This is the last song we know how to play.") All in all, a good night. Cool tour shirt, too! * ------------------------------------- m@t ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 21:43:13 -0500 From: "Asa Pillsbury" Message-ID: Subject: TMBG: Re: Linnell 12/8/99 chat transcript > Alex Zero> my firends and I always try to figure this out, in Triangle man > what does each man represent? > SPEAKER_John Linnell> I don't have the answer for that . It's an open-ended > song that invites you to use your imagination to figure out what the songs > about. I would say that they don't represent anything, it's just a song with > a bunch of characters. I KNEW it!! -- "Huh nenumther no, huh nenumther no, my ne caws nyi thunderberr, my ne caws nyi thunderberr." -John Linnell ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199912090257.VAA25464@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: TMBG: The Statesmen, Chicago, 12/6/99 Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 21:57:37 -0500 (EST) Monday, 12/6/99 The second night had me a little concerned at first. Unusually small crowd, and John was starting to lose his voice. He didn't sound as good as on Sunday night, but he still sounded pretty good! Setlist: Songs of the 50 States South Carolina (what the heck is the first line of this? I was hoping it would be clearer live, but all I got was still "blahblahblah my neighbor has a dented bike...") Here John's voice was getting a little scratchy. "I feel really bad about this. I don't know what I would think if a performer did this while I was in the crowd, but I'm sort of losing my voice, and there's a bunch of people here smoking - it's not any one individual smoker - and the smoke is sort of accumulating in my face. I... you know, it's up to you. It's not a 'command from the stage.' People are free to do what they want in this club! But I'm just saying that it's going to start affecting the show for me. I'm sorry, it's all my fault!" Here some people in the crowd started yelling "Put 'em out! You're f***ing up the show!" And everybody seemed to be pretty good about doing just that. Maine Idaho (with Dan Miller playing the car alarm on one of those old $20 K-Mart type top-loading rectangular cassette players with all of the buttons in the front. You know.) North to Alaska ("By Johnny Horton, who wrote many fine songs about Alaska. He really did. This is just one of them.") Utah New Hampshire Here, somebody shouted out for Illinois. (It may have been the same annoying guy who kept yelling "Play I Wanna Rock" [sic] and "John LINnell... John LinNELL" over and over all night. But I digress.) "You know, actually, we don't actually know how to play Illinois. I'm sort of embarassed to say that. So far on this tour, we haven't played any state song for a state we happen to be in. So we have a perfect record. We're not going to fuck it up tonight!" Mississippi Arkansas Oregon Iowa Pennsylvania Nebraska Montana Michigan encore: California Uber Alles (Dead Kennedies cover, with John sight-reading the hand-written lyrics. Hysterical, and make the second night more than worth the extra 2 hr. drive!) West Virginia No Nevada either night. I had seen some good potential for this as a closing song - the band could just leave while a recording of the parade played on. And on. Oh, well. I'm still a little puzzled by the big reworking this song got on the final release. I know that he shortened the song to contrast more with the long fade-out, but I like the old lyrics a lot and the new ones not so much. "The acorn of the squirrel" just cracks me up, I guess. Oh, well, as Amy said, now we have both versions to enjoy. * ------------------------------------------------ m@t ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <0.110e0b94.25808d9c@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 23:44:12 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell 12/8/99 chat transcript In a message dated 08-Dec-99 09:45:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, asa@madbbs.com writes: << in Triangle man > what does each man represent? >> ummm shouldn't this be particle man ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d391343c.25808ecb@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 23:49:15 EST Subject: TMBG: John Linnell Chat 12/8 Hello, Ummm, someone posted the trranscript to this, and I deleted it by mistake. Could someone send it to me? THANK YOU! -Kreadoubt "I'm watching my one year old son" JL ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 23:59:54 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <82nfg6$13mr$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell 12/8/99 chat transcript wrote in message news:0.110e0b94.25808d9c@aol.com... > In a message dated 08-Dec-99 09:45:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, > asa@madbbs.com writes: > > << in Triangle man > > what does each man represent? >> > > ummm shouldn't this be particle man well the guy obviously isn't the brightest bulb on the tree. I mean, the FAQ at tmbg.org goes over this, even to include John's quote "All interpretations are true, all interpretations are bunk." -Jay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #24-9 *****************************