Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #25-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 25, Number 10 Monday, 10 January 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: HELP from Pittsburgh fans! Re: TMBG: Linnell on Conan TMBG: Today's comics. Re: TMBG: Today's comics. TMBG: Today's Mark Trail Re: TMBG: Re: HELP from Pittsburgh fans! TMBG: Cupid! Re: TMBG: Linnell on Conan TMBG: State Song Tour TMBG: Central Park Pics TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! TMBG: Thoughts On Malcolm In the Middle... TMBG: Malcolm in the Middle TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle informal poll/thoughts Re: TMBG: Thoughts On Malcolm In the Middle... Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle informal poll/thoughts TMBG: Malcom in the Middle Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! TMBG: live cybercast Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <38789667.6411E01F@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 06:08:46 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: HELP from Pittsburgh fans! lawrence solomon frantically exclaimed: >This is an important request for anyone who lives in Pittsburgh and has >recently shopped for TMBG merchandise at the Record Exchange in Squirrel Hill. >It seems that most of the CDs that some fucker ripped off from my apartment >have shown up at the store, but they've all been sold. Whoa! Slow down! I barely can comprehend what you are talking about! As far as I can tell from your post, some guy stole all of your TMBG CDs and sold them to a music store that that sells used CDs. (Right?) But if "they've all been sold" how do you know they were ever there in the first place? lawrence solomon continued to say: >Since I can't imagine >a non-fan wanting to buy something like Back to Skull or S-E-X-X-Y, for >example (or my promo Long Tall Weekend with a computer printed back) I'm >checking here, thinking that some of you might have found my CDs. C'mon, what are the odds of that? You're assuming that anyone that buys a TMBG CD used also subscribes to this mailing list. (Not to mention also shops at that specific store.) lawrence solomon continued: >There were also some Cub CDs, a Lincoln CD, and a You Were Spiraling CD, and I >figured I'd check here first for those, too. (because who else has even heard >of them, right?) Yes, obviously the only people who have bought a Cub or Lincoln CD are us on this list. (And live in Pittsburgh.) And even if I *did* buy various TMBG-related items from from Record Exchange in Squirrel Hill, then what? What exactly would we do about it? What does that prove? If someone e-mails you and says he bought some TMBG and/or Cub stuff from that store then what? Are you going to hire a private detective and a lawyer regarding $100 worth of CDs? If somebody did rip off all your favorite CDs, I really feel sorry for you. However, I kind of think you were really high when you posted that message. Either that or you are mentally ill and forgot to take you medication. Good luck Larry! -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <3c.3c797c32.25aa1b21@aol.com> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 12:10:57 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell on Conan Did Conan interview john? ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <6a.6a0b7ae2.25aa2114@aol.com> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 12:36:20 EST Subject: TMBG: Today's comics. For those of you who get the Sunday paper, take a look at today's Mark Trail comic... Hehehehahahahahahah! Is that a TMBG ref? :D ------------------------------ From: OCSabrina@aol.com Message-ID: <4a.4a75522f.25aa2ab1@aol.com> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 13:17:21 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Today's comics. um... i dotn get the paper.. so anyone care to share the punchline? sabrina ------------------------------ From: MDG611@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 13:37:01 EST Subject: TMBG: Today's Mark Trail The Mark Trail comic is about giant squid and sperm whales, a la the cover art for Apollo 18. Melissa ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3878E099.31D74499@fruhead.com> Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 14:25:13 -0500 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: HELP from Pittsburgh fans! Bongo wrote: > Whoa! Slow down! I barely can comprehend what you are talking about! > As far as I can tell from your post, some guy stole all of your TMBG CDs and > sold them to a music store that that sells used CDs. (Right?) But if > "they've all been sold" how do you know they were ever there in the first > place? because the store employees remember seeing them. a lot of the CDs that were in there aren't exactly common, especially in Pittsburgh. such as the Hey Mr. DJ single, which I bought from someone who had bought it there, and discovered that it was, in fact, the one I had owned. they remembered seeing the Cub CDs, the TMBG CDs, the Fruvous CDs... everything. > C'mon, what are the odds of that? You're assuming that anyone that buys a > TMBG CD used also subscribes to this > mailing list. (Not to mention also shops at that specific store.) no I'm not. why don't you try reading the message carefully before trying to start a flame war, eh? I'm saying this is really the only place I can go with it, because it and the newsgroup are really the only large gathering places for TMBG fans on the internet. I know that one person who bought such a used CD is on the newsgroup. I figure maybe someone else will be, too. > Yes, obviously the only people who have bought a Cub or Lincoln CD are > us on this list. (And live in Pittsburgh.) uh, no. But someone who would buy such a CD might very well be on this list - no, this isn't a comprehensive list of all TMBG/cub/Lincoln fans, but a lot of those fans are here, or on the newsgroup, especially the "die-hard" fans who would go out and buy every little thing they can get their hands on that might possibly have something to do with TMBG. And I'm not assuming that everyone lives in Pittsburgh. in fact, I don't know where you even get that idea. The subject line specifically says "HELP from Pittsburgh fans." As in, if you're not in Pittsburgh, you probably won't be able to help much. > And even if I *did* buy various TMBG-related items from from > Record Exchange in Squirrel Hill, then what? What exactly would we do about > it? What does that prove? If someone e-mails you and says he bought some > TMBG and/or Cub stuff from that store then what? Are you going to hire a > private detective and a lawyer regarding $100 worth of CDs? if they're my stolen CDs, then you have no right to possess them. It means the store sold stolen property and most likely would allow a return and return my CDs. Someone's insurance would most likely cover the transaction, so the store and the customers don't get screwed. (it wouldn't exactly be fair to just take away the CDs you'd bought) > If somebody did rip off all your favorite CDs, I really feel sorry for > you. However, I kind of think you were really high when you posted that > message. Either that or you are mentally ill and forgot to take you > medication. um, what the fuck is your problem? First of all, this happened over a month ago. It was only in a recent conversation with the management at the Record Exchange that it turns out my CDs had been there in the first place (which is a shame, really, because I faxed them a list in mid-December which they either never got or ignored). I only posted the message because of that lead, and that the people there said they remembered seeing those CDs, and that they're pretty rare around there. (as in, he'd never seen them in the store before a couple of weeks ago) now, looking back at my original message and your response to it, it's pretty clear that you just failed to comprehend what I said in the first paragraph: >This is an important request for anyone who lives in Pittsburgh and has >recently shopped for TMBG merchandise at the Record Exchange in Squirrel >Hill. that's it. Not "everyone who lives in Pittsburgh," not "everyone on this list," but "everyone who lives in Pittsburgh *AND* has shopped at that store for TMBG stuff." -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <28.28d290d1.25aa3e10@aol.com> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 14:40:00 EST Subject: TMBG: Cupid! Has anyone heard this song, Cupid? It's on twistid.com and it rocks! I think it just bumped Sensurround down a notch as it is now my new favorite song...seriously! You all probably think I'm insane for liking this 60 second ditty, but it really is that good. If you've yet to hear this song, go download it! It's so cool. Jon By the way, does anyone know where Linnell is playing in Philly on the 18th? I'm assuming it's either an in-store, or, if we're lucky, it will be a real show at the Troc in which place we'd cry tears of joy and sadness at the same time. (The Troc is evil, for those that didn't know...). Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll play the TLA. ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 15:19:42 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell on Conan no...although they did show them takling at the end like they usually do with people. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 15:31:00 -0800 Subject: TMBG: State Song Tour Message-ID: <20000109.153142.-928329.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf hi. has anyone figured out where in Philly Linnell and the Statesmen will be playing. i've searched every on-line ticket site and have come up with zero. adam. ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000801bf5aed$bf3788e0$f5c47180@dynamic.rpi.edu> From: "Rachel Vecchitto" Subject: TMBG: Central Park Pics Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 17:06:05 -0500 Hello Everyone- Pics from the 20-June-99 Father's Day show are finally up at www.rpi.edu/~vecchr/tmbg. Enjoy! :) Rachel *-------------------------------------------------------------x "There's only one thing that I know how to do well, and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you. Be what you're like. Be like yourself." - They Might Be Giants vecchr@rpi.edu thunderbird@dork.com http://www.rpi.edu/~vecchr AIM: Rach014 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 18:28:22 EST Subject: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! Don't forget to tune in tonight, 8:30 EST (or whatever your local Fox affiliate likes...) and catch neat TMBG tunes! If the show does well enough, maybe we'll get an "original score" album? ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 21:02:07 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! that show kicked ass. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 21:06:26 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! In a message dated 1/9/00 9:04:46 PM, MrBean43@aol.com writes: >that show kicked ass. it was funny. very different. or kinda like... umm.. a demented version of _a christmas story_. flipped out a little when they played "pencil rain" during the fight scene. neato! :) just a little ticked that they said "tonight's show featured music by citizen king" and showed their album cover, but tmbg were only in the credits. weird. sarah ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 21:07:44 EST Subject: TMBG: Thoughts On Malcolm In the Middle... Oh my god... this is my life. This is my fricking life, right up there on the television... what the hell? Who do I sue for damages? Oh, the show was hilarious, and the TMBG quotient was ridiculously high, despite the Slight By FOX at the end of the ep... All FOX-bashing aside, the show, in-and-of-itself, has a lot of potential, and in this time slot, it's hard to see it sinking... Moving it out of this slot could spell chaos, though... EZ0, the hell with Citizen King. Better days my ass. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 20:09:21 -0600 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <85beug$l81$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Malcolm in the Middle WOOHOO! Yes! Malcolm in the Middle is, in my opinion, TMBG's big break into the mainstream, even if people may not realize it yet. I just felt like jumping up and cheering as the fist went back and "Pencil Rain" started. The show itself is quite good (much better than "That 70s Show") and having Them work on it is an added bonus. The folks at Fox aren't likely to cancel it. It's probably gonna be a regular thing, so check back to Fox on Sundays. ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <63.636626f8.25aaa34f@aol.com> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 21:51:59 EST Subject: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle informal poll/thoughts informal poll - if you watched it, did you like it? Would you have watched it if it weren't for the TMBG? (or the fact that Felicity was a repeat :-P) Will my brother kill me for forgetting to tape it? In a message dated 1/9/00 9:10:07 PM, LimeZinger@aol.com writes: << "tonight's show featured music by citizen king" and showed their album cover, but tmbg were only in the credits. weird. >> Perhaps because the TMBG song wasn't new... or maybe, since the do the song in the opening credits, they didn't want to seem too vain. The Citizen King thing may be a one-off... with TMBG being played throughout the series. I think that's better. I agree that the show was great, but that it would be in trouble in a different time slot. It's a SMART show, and that sometimes spells trouble. Malcom has above average intelligence, but half the world has below average intelligence (by definition)and I think you need some of those smarts to really appreciate the show. On a tangent, I like that the show recognizes that sometimes being smart goes along with being different. I remember what it was like being in the special GT classes, and how the other kids would find that uncool. Now, as an elementary teacher, I see some of my gifted students also have these extraordinary personalities. There's one in my class who could BE Malcom. I think its no coincidence that this student has really liked the TMBG I've played in class.. mst ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: <2d.2dee14a8.25aaa41a@aol.com> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 21:55:22 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Thoughts On Malcolm In the Middle... The time slot it's on now is probably just to help it get started like they did for Family Guy or Futurama(which eventually went back to that slot) Harlan Muir DrSaxx@aol.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <83.837d4e25.25aaa645@aol.com> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 22:04:37 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle informal poll/thoughts << << "tonight's show featured music by citizen king" and showed their album cover, but tmbg were only in the credits. weird. >> Perhaps because the TMBG song wasn't new... or maybe, since the do the song in the opening credits, they didn't want to seem too vain. The Citizen King thing may be a one-off... with TMBG being played throughout the series. I think that's better. >> Well, they could do what they did on Dawson's Creek (yes, I watch it, shut UP!) . They use a Paula Cole song as the theme song, so on the first episode they mention her, but not in subsequent episodes. No matter what, tho, it rocks that they are so involved in the show...I sure hope it does well :) Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000110031413.76197.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian The Bold" Subject: TMBG: Malcom in the Middle Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 22:14:13 EST hey list- I myself was thoroughly pleased with "Malcom." I was ecstatic as soon as I heard the Pencil Rain. At first I thought they would just play the music, but then i heard Linnell's voice singing to the world... As far as "You're not the boss of Me" goes, it's not a great song, but it's definitely TV show opening caliber. I was surprised to here Flansy doing the vocals (don't ask me why, I just expected Linnell for some reason.). I say screw Citizen King. I have a feeling they slipped FOX a pretty penny to get all that recognition. In the credits, I saw "theme" and "score" by TMBG. Did it also say "Pencil Rain?" The show itself was hilarious. A worthy follow-up to the Simpsons. Even better than Futurama. I hope they don't move it out of the slot, because Sunday night TV as it stands now is a great end-of-the-weekend pick-me-up. See y'all. I found a new friend underneath my pillow, Ian Power http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.20000109221607.0094ef00@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 22:16:22 -0500 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! At 09:06 PM 1/9/00 -0500, LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > >In a message dated 1/9/00 9:04:46 PM, MrBean43@aol.com writes: > >>that show kicked ass. > >it was funny. very different. or kinda like... umm.. a demented version >of _a christmas story_. > >flipped out a little when they played "pencil rain" during the fight scene. >neato! :) just a little ticked that they said "tonight's show featured >music by citizen king" and showed their album cover, but tmbg were only in >the credits. weird. > > >sarah Yeah, that really got me, too. ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <97.97a9ee30.25aab6c2@aol.com> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 23:14:58 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! citizen king, who the hell are they? This is why no one has ever heard of TMBG. They're everywhere but get no recognition Except in the fine print no one looks at. People ask me -"what is They Might Be Giants?" My answer -"it's a band". -and where can I hear their music - Did you see austin powers, brave new world, the daily show millenium special, MTV's stupid ass 100 greatest videos ever, Tiny toons,or Power rangers? -Nope I don't remember. - -Figures,ass. Now I can add Malcolm in the Middle to my list. At least the show was good. It was sort of like that show Pete and Pete. They had music from that Gothic archies 1996 Hello Cd on a few episodes. Did any one else notice that some of the other music besides Pencil rain and that stupid ass band sounded sort of familiar I think it's the music they play between songs at concerts or something . -Harry Pyle the disgruntled postal worker ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <54.5455215d.25aab811@aol.com> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 23:20:33 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! In a message dated 01/09/2000 11:18:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, BirdhouseIYS@aol.com writes: > I think it's the music they > play between songs at concerts or something . Well... "Boss Of Me," the theme, WAS played between sets at the Atlanta show in October last year.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38795D92.C2CBD5B@fruhead.com> Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 23:18:26 -0500 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > flipped out a little when they played "pencil rain" during the fight scene. heh, I was watching with my entire family (not unlike Malcom's family in many ways...) and when that started, my first thought was "Hmmm, maybe they just used that beat for another song..." and then I said out loud "That's They Might Be Giants!" and informed my parents that that was the main reason I was watching the show in the first place. they were watching it because it got good reviews - and rightly so. quite funny without quite as much of the "typical Fox crap" as some other shows in their lineup. apparently, my parents didn't realise that TMBG were doing the music for it. (then again, I didn't realize they'd be doing more than just the opening theme, either... Pencil Rain was quite a pleasant surprise :) > neato! :) just a little ticked that they said "tonight's show featured > music by citizen king" and showed their album cover, but tmbg were only in > the credits. weird. probably because TMBG are the official band for the show, and Citizen King was just "featured" in tonight's episode. it'll probably be a different band "featured" next week, while TMBG still get the spotlight. I think it'll be great if they use a lot of different TMBG songs randomly in the show... (and it's a good thing our cable company finally reached an agreement with Fox, too, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to watch it :) -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38795EED.CFA6B205@home.com> Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 22:24:13 -0600 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: TMBG: live cybercast Looks like the house of blues is re-running the house of blues live cybercast from october, and re-charging for it as well. It's happening 1/13. I found out in an insert called "Access" in my sunday paper.. it's all about the net and sites and stuff, and listed the tmbg show as if it were new. But, well, it ain't. Here's the link: http://www.hob.com/live/events/000113tmbg/pre.shtml Anybody pay for the 300k stream before? Was it decent? Destin ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 23:27:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Malcolm In The Middle debuts tonight! In a message dated 1/9/00 11:23:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, EmarZero@aol.com writes: << > I think it's the music they > play between songs at concerts or something . Well... "Boss Of Me," the theme, WAS played between sets at the Atlanta show in October last year.... >> No not "Boss of Me" either. I think it was the part where Malcolm was walking to the office with red paint on his ass. I should have been more specific. Harry Pyle ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #25-10 ******************************