Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #25-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 25, Number 11 Tuesday, 11 January 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: HELP from Pittsburgh fans! TMBG: Bad weekend, bad brain... Re: TMBG: Re: HELP from Pittsburgh fans! TMBG: Re: Malcom in the Middle TMBG: Re: Malcolm in the Middle TMBG: Re: Bad weekend, bad brain... TMBG: Update on the Linnell tour TMBG: Internet Yellow Pages (Russian resources) TMBG: Re: Malcolm in the Middle TMBG: Re: Malcolm in the Middle TMBG: Re: Malcolm in the Middle TMBG: LTW liner notes TMBG: Re: Malcolm in the Middle Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3879B3E4.BE3892B@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 02:26:47 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: HELP from Pittsburgh fans! From: lawrence solomon wrote: >if they're my stolen CDs, then you have no right to possess them. It means >the store sold stolen property and most likely would allow a return and return >my CDs. Someone's insurance would most likely cover the transaction, so the >store and the customers don't get screwed. (it wouldn't exactly be fair to >just take away the CDs you'd bought) Its been a long time since I've sold CDs but don't the stores require the seller to show some kind of ID or sign something? Or do you already know who stole them anyway? -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "Erik J. Chuss" Message-ID: <85256862.004C5085.00@notes949.cc.telcordia.com> Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 08:52:36 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Bad weekend, bad brain... It has been a bad weekend for me TMBG-wise. Friday, I taped the WRONG FREAKIN CHANNEL and missed JL & the SM on Conan! Last night my brain left the house and went out to a bar somewhere. I am not sure but I think it was a bar because when it came home those brain cells that contained the nights events were killed. That left me at home with nothing to think with and I ended up completely forgetting Malcolm in the Middle was on! Oh the depression, the pain, the feelings of remorse! Stupid Brain! Bad Brain! Yes you are Bad! Bad! Errr.... I am sorry everyone. I always forget that I am not supposed to yell at my brain in public. ;-) And now back to your regularly schedule list-serve.... Erik ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3879EA5B.D603893D@fruhead.com> Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:19:07 -0500 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: HELP from Pittsburgh fans! Bongo wrote: > Its been a long time since I've sold CDs but don't the stores require the > seller to show some kind of ID or sign something? Or do you already know who > stole them anyway? yeah, they require ID, but because my list that I sent pretty much right after it happened was ignored, they didn't realise that the CDs they were taking in and selling were stolen. They only realised it the second time I sent them the list, and remembered most of the items from it. I bought the Hey Mr DJ single from someone on the newsgroup a couple of weeks ago, and he bought it at that store, which is what led me to contact them in the first place. And it turns out that the Hey Mr DJ single was exactly the one I had owned. I have no idea who stole them. If I did, I'd be in a lot better shape (although I'd have a lengthy court case ahead of me, which would suck) -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:53:23 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <3879F263.37C58F87@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Malcom in the Middle I really only watched the show to hear TMBG but then ended up actually enjoying the show. Not to mention the fact that I ended up hearing more TMBG than I had expected. WooHoo! So, I think I'll have to make it a habit to watch this show. :o) "I'd rather be whistling in the dark," -A Ian The Bold wrote: > > hey list- > I myself was thoroughly pleased with "Malcom." I was ecstatic as > soon as I heard the Pencil Rain. At first I thought they would just play > the music, but then i heard Linnell's voice singing to the world... > > As far as "You're not the boss of Me" goes, it's not a great song, but it's > definitely TV show opening caliber. I was surprised to here Flansy doing > the vocals (don't ask me why, I just expected Linnell for some reason.). > > I say screw Citizen King. I have a feeling they slipped FOX a pretty penny > to get all that recognition. In the credits, I saw "theme" and "score" by > TMBG. Did it also say "Pencil Rain?" > > The show itself was hilarious. A worthy follow-up to the Simpsons. Even > better than Futurama. I hope they don't move it out of the slot, because > Sunday night TV as it stands now is a great end-of-the-weekend pick-me-up. > > See y'all. > > I found a new friend underneath my pillow, > Ian Power > http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 07:57:50 -0800 From: "Pzickler" Subject: TMBG: Re: Malcolm in the Middle Maybe it's only because I'm a diehard Simpsons fan and have been since the Tracey Ullman days, but I thought the show was HORRIBLE! After all the hype comparing it to The Simpsons, what we got were a bunch of lame sight gags (ha ha, he's naked and she's shaving him; ha ha, she doesn't have a shirt on; ha ha that kid is punching that other kid...) and WAY too much breaking the 4th wall to talk to the camera, which every single new comedy this year seems to be required to include. I liked the kid who plays Malcolm, and the wheelchair kid was an interesting idea. Plus, I'll admit I laughed out loud when the older brother did his whole "forgive me" speech with the burning car in the background. But come on! What makes The Simpsons (and King of the Hill) so funny are absurd non-sequiturs (when they work), the intelligent humor cleverly disguised as stupidity, and the obscure cultural references. This show has none of the above, in my opinion, just a lot of the same old Fox "shock humor" crap. That being said, I thought TMBG's stuff worked well, including some of the incidental music, which was, as ever, brilliant. Using "Pencil Rain" was intriguing: can we expect more old They songs in future episodes? I'm thrilled to death for the Johns in that they're getting much deserved exposure, but I have to disagree with the rave reviews this show keeps getting. Maybe my standards are just too high for television. PZ "No longer must I sweep for you/ For I am not your broom." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:43:25 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <85d8rg$1gkh$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Bad weekend, bad brain... Don't worry about missing Malcom in the Middle, FOX is showing an encore presentation of it this Tuesday. -Jay ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 13:41:10 EST Subject: TMBG: Update on the Linnell tour Okay, everybody, I just received the latest on the upcoming Linnell & the Statesmen tour dates. It seems that both the Philly show on Jan. 18th and the Washington D.C. show on Jan 20th have been definitely cancelled, but shows in those cities are still likely to go on sometime in February. That means that the two shows where John and the Statesmen are scheduled as the opening act for TMBG (in Boston, PA & Providence, RI) are the only Linnell dates currently confirmed. If I learn anything new, I'll be sure to post it. Karen (MuseKJ) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:49:36 +0300 From: "Vladimir" Message-ID: <85dd6e$1jal$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Internet Yellow Pages (Russian resources) This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BF5BBC.F88358C0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_000B_01BF5BBC.F88358C0" ------=_NextPart_001_000B_01BF5BBC.F88358C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Internet Yellow Pages (Russian resources) http://yellow-pages.agava.ru =20 ------=_NextPart_001_000B_01BF5BBC.F88358C0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Internet Yellow Pages (Russian resources)
http://yellow-pages.agava.ru = ------=_NextPart_001_000B_01BF5BBC.F88358C0-- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BF5BBC.F88358C0 Content-Type: image/gif; name="flag_eng.gif" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Location: http://www.lgg.ru/~prohor/html/images/flag_eng.gif R0lGODlhQwAuAPf/AMDAwBAQECEhISkpKTExMTk5OUJCQkpKSlJSUlpaWmtra4SEhIyMjJycnKWl pbW1tcbGxs7OztbW1t7e3ufn5//395SMjPfn5//v73Nra+fW1jEpKdatree1tf/Gxv+9vSEYGPel pa1zc/+lpZxjY++EhP+MjP97e/dzc/9SUv9CQv85OSkICP8pKVIICP8YGP8ICDkAAGsAAM4AANYA AN4AAPcAAP8AAP9COf8xKf8QCP8IAP+UjP9rY/+tpf+clP9SQv85Kf+9tf/Oxt6tpf/Gvf+UhP+M e//e1v/n3v/ezv/v5zkxKf/358bGvZSUjIyMhGNjWkJCOSkpIff//+///2tzc97//ykxMdb//87/ /73//xghIbX//63//0re/4zn/6Xn/1LO/3vW/xAhKSm9/2vO/1LG/6Xe/4zW/3PG95TW/0K1/ymt /xCl/73W563e/1Kt7wic/zGl/xic/wiU/4TG/0qt/zml/ymM3iGc/xiU/wiM/wCM/xAhMUKl/xBr vRCM/wBarQBrzu/3/73e/63O75S11pzG73ut3nOt5wgQGABz5ymM/wB7/5S13jmE3hhz3hh77wBK pQBaxgBz/1KU7wAYOQBSxgBr9wBr/yl79wBKtQBKvQgYMQBKxgBa5wBj/97n9wApcwBa/87e/wAQ MQBCxgBK3gBS787W5wAxnAA5tQA5vQBC3gBK7wBK9wAYUgApjHuU3muM5wBC987W7wAYYwA55wA5 7wA5973G53uMzgAhlAAhnAAx5wAx7wAhrQAp5wAp762155yl3iExrRAhpYyU1nN7xgAQnGNrxlJa vUJKtTE5refn7+/v997e54yM3ggIEAAAEIyEzr21797W/3tzlIRjtYRarYxjrXtjjJxrtZRjrYRC jP/v//fO96VanL1zrf/O7+eczntCY8ZjnL1KhP+11tZalLVKe//G3s5ShNZahOdzlNZCa/dKc+c5 Y/+Mpd6MnPdac/85Uv9KWv8xQv8pOf9ze85KUv9SWv9CSv8IEAAAACH5BAEAAAAALAAAAABDAC4A QAj/AAEIHEiwoMGDCBMqXMiw4cFOsCI6gndDCIAuc0jRAXCj4w0AOW68OOFh4BU8uUj1EnDAgcOX AzGRikjKjZk1aAQiwcHRIwA2WZrc+OZIjhk0hcCIEcSyAcynACZY8XOLVatTrFbFmiZggAACBQ4k UKAgihRPo4J9UkOFgwuWLmEiU6asGa9kyohBBYAXmUBeypghbKasGFRCzRIrbuYXAK9muwAQqxtZ lDO6yozpxZtMYLJjvADYYubssS0AzQQ7a7aM0N6Xg5LdGOIFVqpUoG7n6tOzI4A6ryLCqgUr1J53 N05ceP3ShscgI8gVCkOlSA+P2LNDlw6nFLt9cJkv/3xU8EjHcY5qBer9kU/EXI4AGLlxrs/MlQec it/P3+ExZbzswoxhAOwylzG27KLMMQUq44xAxigTGWF6ibJMYQAUQ1dnAl3GDCGE0BVZfwkRsssu p5GookE39AAAItAcFA0AL/jUBy6oMKJIjCs2RAkpoYhzQxJaVIJLLrC8wgd7AMhRySazqHNPRzAk AYAXkzDQQAQ9DkTPNWY4kgswlXjTUT9FCISdCid8AMAVbZAizJG2kSJLeF0CkMcY4eiTnUcv/ICd QCr8AI6ff9KAZ5eYwJILkpnckQUAI9zQThlM1pHSFR/ckI0mSMKi0qI9EuFPR/7UI40jMw0nB0cz yP8QQwGXVPUKKbrEh0RH9phDap4AVABBAxkkYEABBRiAgAINQMAjQcI2YIWxyBqgwAPAOiTKS9u+ piGDADQmmTEMEkPutqMdk4xihNiSGQCEcPYXM8kYE5qCzsRb11N4PSgQgSEeA+J/tri2SzPrIuOa hs2cNlkzohBz2lwSHuiZMhwCe4y/8EbYbbbihdAQBias8AIAcVhiCMgLcXPDD1swAskjqjzzRiKR NJJpLaTUggsokByiCiEaoNABy5+Ess0NSGzRM88RLTloHzyHookjjVSTzw08APBGBSDLBIsm6DBN xRyvPMrboNbEg10OPgiUBim+FIBAXF3mkd4vsDj/ss4NQAhUxRVMDjEQFVeE8UfPot6ZH7AdpZDO Gm1o8qQ8O/SAQaV/3tBPOXbooclMpPQByK8qlgBE56zfgEESJqTQeg1NASuTJmyUMgI/L/SOQgUY MAnAEjeo80Uhu/fegj4ioE6i2MMJMwwsZwDgwQ3zMOkILFoocYM2pORCHJKO490jJ5XMocYWA8nu jiPxDVpHKrlUUoUPN3RTCU34mb8i2EPogQ46gg9a7E9JmSLFTH7BG0HlgxaOWIXzSFQBEmBDEpUI hQIV+ApGWIAFAhAAFriwgQEMwBSycMUrNDEpE9yAdo8DGQSekAAmkGERAQDBBqZAAAIYIAoLcAAE 4SIgASc4AApRYMIiqBGAaWBhgnmawAMawAAtPWACDKHAFKvYLLCx7IsMSdCJxvixl9hiGc7wlygG dBABGWMZzAmRhAQCx71EKEWE4EUZCfIf17zmQvZahmAkAxjNTEYZBfvPhJSxrbnAkRcagqMjM/Qg vPBiGYdMkUPcpYyFfYwZyvDLhepojAfhC1508WMf6UgXOIqCLoaZDLheEiEOFaMZ/1IGHDXkjGJE 5hjGQIYmRylKXfKCF8fYljMEBspitMYYxvAjsJaBIGQQhi57BCNMzMUMYuyiGMYgkDbH+ZKAAAA7 ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BF5BBC.F88358C0-- ------------------------------ Date: 10 Jan 2000 23:12:39 GMT From: mdunn@force.stwing.upenn.edu (Matt Dunn) Message-ID: <85dp17$3lu$1@netnews.upenn.edu> Organization: Andy's Lab Subject: TMBG: Re: Malcolm in the Middle Doctor Worm (doctorworm@home.com) wrote: I thought Futurama was moved to 7:00 pm, while MitM was bring tested out. That's the skinny I heard. It's not like it's on hiatus or anything, they just shifted it up an hour and a half. Of course, I haven't checked the first half of the tape from last night... (I was out til 11, so I recorded 7-10, and so far have only watched MitM....) : I seem to be the only person with the following opinion, so please don't : beat me up for stating my beliefs: I didn't like it. It had a few funny : parts, but all in all, it was just mediocre. The soundtrack was probably : the highlight of the show (although there is no way it will make TMBG : mainstream, who watches the credits anyway?). I think that any show in : that time slot will dominate the ratings. As a true test, they should : start out new shows on a night where nothing is on television : (Wednesday?), so the ratings won't be interfered with by another show on : a rival network, but no one will be tuning in just out of habit, either : (like on Sundays). I probably wouldn't be so hostile, except that Malcom : in the Middle stole Futurama's time slot (apparently leaving it in : limbo). In my opinion, Futurama is undoubtedly the best thing on : television. All right, time to step off my soapbox. Please feel free to : disagree. I acknowledge and respect your opinions, and thought that you : might like to hear mine. : Polaris wrote: : > : > WOOHOO! : > Yes! Malcolm in the Middle is, in my opinion, TMBG's big break into the : > mainstream, even if people may not realize it yet. I just felt like jumping : > up and cheering as the fist went back and "Pencil Rain" started. The show : > itself is quite good (much better than "That 70s Show") and having Them work : > on it is an added bonus. The folks at Fox aren't likely to cancel it. It's : > probably gonna be a regular thing, so check back to Fox on Sundays. -- - -- Matt Dunn - mdunn@stwing.org - http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~mdunn "What do you think, Your Neutralness, can we trust him?" "All I know is that my gut says..... 'Maybe'." - Futurama ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:28:45 -0700 From: Chadd VanZanten Message-ID: <387A5D1C.64D2E31F@tmbg.org> Organization: XMission http://www.xmission.com/ Subject: TMBG: Re: Malcolm in the Middle Polaris wrote: >Yes! Malcolm in the Middle is, in my opinion, TMBG's big break into the >mainstream, even if people may not realize it yet. I just felt like jumping >up and cheering as the fist went back and "Pencil Rain" started. The show >itself is quite good (much better than "That 70s Show") and having Them work >on it is an added bonus. The folks at Fox aren't likely to cancel it. It's >probably gonna be a regular thing, so check back to Fox on Sundays. Hmmmmmmmm. I'm wondering what method of premonstration you're using here -- tea leaves? livestock entrails? sacrificial turtledoves? I don't think TMBG and "the mainstream" are compatible, so I don't see a "big break" coming their way. They'll get some exposure, sure, but think about it -- writing music for funny little off-beat TV shows has not been a traditional path to mainstream success. Examples -- News Radio, Pete & Pete and Kids in The Hall were each noted for their use of cool original music, but as much as I like each of those shows and their music, I didn't bother to pursue any of their other stuff. Likewise with TMBG and MitM. We're all excited here about this project, but non-TMBG fans aren't likely to have life-changing experiences over "Boss of Me" or that truncated version of "Pencil Rain." Also, while I think the chances are good that MitM will have a decent run on Fox, I would also admit that the show is eminently cancle-able -- it's got low-intensity cult appeal written all over it. It was funny enough, but it comes up short in more than one way if you ask me. How to put this? I can see it being not ordinary enough to have blanket appeal (even among Fox viewers -- I'll bet 35,000 sets went off when mom was trudging around the house with no top on), but not twisted enough to lock in a hard-core cult following. A little too vicious for the under-8 crowd, not vicious enough for the over-12 crowd. Anyway, I was pleased with the whole package, but I always feel a little funny when I hear TMBG in a wide-open public situation like that. Okay then, Chadd ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:54:29 GMT From: Doctor Worm Message-ID: <387A7F46.AD1E5D02@home.com> Organization: @Home Network Subject: TMBG: Re: Malcolm in the Middle If I missed an episode of Futurama because of Malcom in the Middle, I am going to be pissed as hell! So far, I had every episode on tape. Matt Dunn wrote: > > Doctor Worm (doctorworm@home.com) wrote: > I thought Futurama was moved to 7:00 pm, while MitM was > bring tested out. That's the skinny I heard. It's not like it's on > hiatus or anything, they just shifted it up an hour and a half. Of > course, I haven't checked the first half of the tape from last > night... (I was out til 11, so I recorded 7-10, and so far have only > watched MitM....) > > : I seem to be the only person with the following opinion, so please don't > : beat me up for stating my beliefs: I didn't like it. It had a few funny > : parts, but all in all, it was just mediocre. The soundtrack was probably > : the highlight of the show (although there is no way it will make TMBG > : mainstream, who watches the credits anyway?). I think that any show in > : that time slot will dominate the ratings. As a true test, they should > : start out new shows on a night where nothing is on television > : (Wednesday?), so the ratings won't be interfered with by another show on > : a rival network, but no one will be tuning in just out of habit, either > : (like on Sundays). I probably wouldn't be so hostile, except that Malcom > : in the Middle stole Futurama's time slot (apparently leaving it in > : limbo). In my opinion, Futurama is undoubtedly the best thing on > : television. All right, time to step off my soapbox. Please feel free to > : disagree. I acknowledge and respect your opinions, and thought that you > : might like to hear mine. > > : Polaris wrote: > : > > : > WOOHOO! > : > Yes! Malcolm in the Middle is, in my opinion, TMBG's big break into the > : > mainstream, even if people may not realize it yet. I just felt like jumping > : > up and cheering as the fist went back and "Pencil Rain" started. The show > : > itself is quite good (much better than "That 70s Show") and having Them work > : > on it is an added bonus. The folks at Fox aren't likely to cancel it. It's > : > probably gonna be a regular thing, so check back to Fox on Sundays. > > -- > - > -- > Matt Dunn - mdunn@stwing.org - http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~mdunn > "What do you think, Your Neutralness, can we trust him?" > "All I know is that my gut says..... 'Maybe'." - Futurama ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:09:16 -0500 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <387A9EDB.2A2C8E4@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems, Inc. Subject: TMBG: LTW liner notes In case anyone's interested, liner notes in PDF format, in full-color, weighing in at almost 2 MBs have been posted to the eMusic site! It looks great, although they're not in a format where you could print, fold, and have a booklet where all the lyrics are in order -- but having them out of order is cool too. :) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I don't like the old, funky shit. I have an M3. It laughs at cars with character." -- Tom Marshall ------------------------------ Date: 10 Jan 2000 20:49:17 -0800 Message-ID: <-1264585141ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Malcolm in the Middle I was prepared to bash TMBG for taking part in "Malcolm in the Middle". From the endless promos FOX has run in the last month, it seemed like it was going to be a showcase for fart jokes and other low brow humor. After seeing the premiere, its not THAT bad. Still, its not anything special either. I disagree with the person that called it a "smart" show. The main character has a high IQ. That doesn't make the show smart. The writing isn't that sophisticated. I didn't find Malcom to be very interesting or even likable. Same goes for the rest of the family. The show has a high quality look (as opposed to that video camera in front of the same living room set thing) but thats a superficial thing. Something about the show just doesn't seem fresh either ...like Malcom asides to the camera. That was cool back in the 80's with "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" but Malcolm is just another sitcom kid making smart-ass quips. Still, its a good thing that TMBG are involved. I think the shows stands some chance to be successful which likely will help TMBG sales (at least a little.) That means in the future, we'll be more likely to get more TMBG stuff... like videos and singles. I'll watch the show regularly (especially since it on right after my favorite show.) And maybe it will improve in time. -B O N G O ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #25-11 ******************************