Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #25-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 25, Number 12 Wednesday, 12 January 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Malcolm in the Middle & Linnell on Conan to be replayed TMBG: More Malcolm Music Musings TMBG: Re: Internet Yellow Pages (Russian resources) TMBG: The Mp3 Kings... TMBG: CALL DIAL A SONG!!!! Re: TMBG: Bad weekend, bad brain... Re: TMBG: More Malcolm Music Musings TMBG: Fwd: They Might Be Giants Stand Tall as Number One Downloaded... Re: TMBG: Fwd: They Might Be Giants Stand Tall as Number One TMBG: Linnell Tour Dates Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <000d01bf5c04$d8d00800$9043c7d0@thedemonickangaroo> From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Malcolm in the Middle & Linnell on Conan to be replayed Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 02:24:06 -0500 I keep seeing posts from people who missed this stuff, so I thought you'd like to know that MitM will be replayed today, Tuesday the 11th at 8:30pm est on Fox. Conan O'Brian with Linnell should be replayed at 3am est either this Friday, the 14th or next Friday, the 21st.. depends on if NBC is showing repeats one week or two weeks later. Hope this helps some of you! -Mike ------------------------------ Message-ID: <387B2749.FCA6E149@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:51:24 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: More Malcolm Music Musings By the way, I really like the theme song for Malcolm in the Middle. Its very catchy. I've heard it as an MP3 on some site somewhere. So, I'm wondering was the song originally written for the show? Obviously it was recorded for the show, judging by its length. Its seems though the it may have been written before. Also, besides the opening theme, and Pencil Rain what other music did TMBG contribute to that episode? There was a dinner table scene where music was being played that seemed TMBGish. When the next TMBG album is would be nice to hear "tonight's episode featured music by They Might Be Giants". If the show isn't canceled before then, I think its likely to happen. Here's my dream: Malcolm get canceled but it turns out John and John signed a five year contract with FOX. Not wanting to waste money, FOX assigns them to do music for The Simpsons and Futurama. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:44:47 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <387B6C0F.767BB7A1@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Internet Yellow Pages (Russian resources) Well, um...okay. -A > Vladimir wrote: > > Internet Yellow Pages (Russian resources) > http://yellow-pages.agava.ru > [Yellow pages] ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:12:45 EST Subject: TMBG: The Mp3 Kings... Now this is really wonderful to hear...congrats John & John! They Might Be Giants Stand Tall as Number One Downloaded Band in 1999 EMusic Announces the Top 99 Artists Legally Downloaded in 1999 Off Of the Internet REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Jan. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Popular rock band They Might Be Giants, topped the worldwide chart for legal, MP3 sales in 1999, Redwood City-based EMusic.com announced on Tuesday. Other artists in the Top 10 include Bush, the Goo Goo Dolls and punk bands from the Epitaph label. (Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19990602/LAW064 ) "They Might Be Giants is a great example of a band that has truly embraced downloadable music as a way to get their new music directly to their fans," said Gene Hoffman Jr., CEO of EMusic.com. "More and more people are turning to the Internet as a source of quality music. Buying downloadable music on the Internet is legal, convenient and most importantly to consumers less expensive than buying music at a record store." MP3 is the popular downloadable music format that is taking the Internet by storm. An open standard, MP3 is non-proprietary and can be used by anyone to distribute music. In 1999 "MP3" overtook the word "sex" as the most popular term punched into search engines the world over. Fed up with traditional models of distributing music, many artists and independent labels are embracing the format to sell their works online. Thousands of music fans, meanwhile, are using it to purchase legitimate and legally licensed work by their favorite artists. MP3s can easily be transferred to blank compact discs for playback on a traditional CD player or they can be played on a PC or portable MP3 player. EMusic.com is trailblazing the market for the sale of legal MP3s over the Web with its online music store. EMusic.com is the only site in the world focused on selling legal MP3 files by major recording artists. The EMusic.com list of the top selling MP3 artists of 1999 is the first published chart of its kind. Past charts have only focused on illegal MP3s or on MP3s produced by unsigned, amateur artists. The EMusic chart features major-label acts like Phish and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones that music fans are willing to pay to hear. The chart reflects the unique musical tastes of the Internet community. They Might Be Giants, for instance, enjoy a huge cult following on the Internet. The "Star Trek Soundtrack Series" also ranked high, at No. 5. To see the entire 99 top-selling MP3 artists of 1999 go to www.emusic.com. The list of the 10 top-selling MP3 artists of 1999 follows: 1. They Might Be Giants. 2. Phish. 3. Goo Goo Dolls. 4. Hypnotic Records Compilations. 5. Star Trek Soundtrack Series. 6. BUSH 7. Punk-O-Rama Compilations. 8. Jewel-Paula Compilations. 9. Mighty Mighty Bosstones. 10. Frank Black & the Catholics ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <56.5609f43d.25acec02@aol.com> Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:26:42 EST Subject: TMBG: CALL DIAL A SONG!!!! Holy crap!!! A lot of new weird stuff on today's (1/11/00) Dial A Song!!! (spoilers, heehee, down).. A new Linnell song called Hovering Sombrero (this song was mentioned on theymightbegiants.com for a little while)... a weird poem said by Flans, Hovering Sombrero again, a new Dial A Song jingle, and Flans talking to us. wow!!! Jordan ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:26:10 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad weekend, bad brain... I sort of had that also...I had successfully taped the Linnell on conan thing and watched it quite a few times. I went to bed and woke up in the morning to find my frickin tv had tape over it! Harlan Muir DrSaxx@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000111213427.31055.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: More Malcolm Music Musings Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 21:34:27 GMT Bongo wrote: > By the way, I really like the theme song for Malcolm in the Middle. Its >very catchy. >I've heard it as an MP3 on some site somewhere. So, I'm wondering was the >song originally >written for the show? Obviously it was recorded for the show, judging by >its length. Its >seems though the it may have been written before. My guess is that it was written for the show. A somewhat different version appeared on the "What We Did Last Summer" promotional EP. > Here's my dream: Malcolm get canceled but it turns out John and John >signed a five >year contract with FOX. Not wanting to waste money, FOX assigns them to do >music for The >Simpsons and Futurama. They've already been referenced on every single Futurama episode! -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:57:53 EST Subject: TMBG: Fwd: They Might Be Giants Stand Tall as Number One Downloaded... [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] In a message dated 1/11/00 5:02:14 PM, LimeZinger@aol.com writes: << Popular rock band They Might Be Giants, topped the worldwide chart for legal, MP3 sales in 1999, >> and it didn't even say quirky..... :0) <> never thought of myself as part of a cult. MS From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Jan 11 18:30:44 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id SAA02498 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:30:44 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mailrelay1.chek.com (gutmans.chek.com [208.197.227.23]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id SAA02489 for ; Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:30:43 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from shaunpeck@astrosfan.net) Received: (qmail 22763 invoked from network); 11 Jan 2000 23:33:30 -0000 Received: from web2.chek.com (208.197.227.39) by mailrelay1.chek.com with SMTP; 11 Jan 2000 23:33:30 -0000 Received: (from nobody@localhost) by web2.chek.com (8.9.1/8.9.1) id SAA18474; Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:30:27 -0500 Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:30:27 -0500 Message-Id: <200001112330.SAA18474@web2.chek.com> From: "Shaun Peck" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org X-Originating-IP: [208.205.29.63] Subject: TMBG: Linnell Tour Dates Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Shaun Peck" Linnell seems to be spending a lot of time back east. Anyone know if he plans to play in Utah (perhaps he's "forgotten" us). Or anywhere else int he West? Signup for your FREE Houston Astros Fan E-Mail account at http://www.astrosfan.net! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #25-12 ******************************