Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #25-26 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 25, Number 26 Wednesday, 26 January 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG on New Jersey 101.5 Re: TMBG: MITM TMBG: boston avalon show TMBG: gettin' sentimental.... TMBG: TMBG on Jeopardy TMBG: "I'm the Substitute Now" Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: <1a.39edb9.25bf254d@aol.com> Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:11:57 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG on New Jersey 101.5 It has been a very TMBG week on New Jersey's radio station NJ 101.5. This station is a talk radio format, with music (oldies) on the weekends. Anyway, before TDK had his big death race on Saturday, I requested Leslie Gore's "Maybe I Know" for him. And they played it, very promptly too. This morning, while driving through 6 feet of snow, uphill, both ways, I was listening to the station again. In one of their promos, they said, "1-800-283-1015 'Operators are standing by..' 1-800-283-1015". That's right, they actually played Operators Are Standing By on talk radio. If you want to send thanks to the folks at the station (A great station, wonderful because I can't stand radio music anyway), go to their website at http://www.nj1015.com. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000125223423.73023.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian The Bold" Subject: Re: TMBG: MITM Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:34:23 EST Bongo wrote: >There was at least one little >instrumental piece at the beginning of the show that must have been >TMBG. Well they did do the score, so it probably was them. I hate this 2000's crap. Ian Power http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20000125164433.00977590@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:47:29 -0600 From: yoyo Subject: TMBG: boston avalon show howdy, it turns out that through an amazing stroke of fortune i am going to be in boston the weekend of the 4th when They are playing at the avalon. i was wondering if anyone knew when the show might start, or have previous experience at the club knowing about when opening bands start and that sort of thing. i definately don't want to miss out on Linnell, but i am going to be in town for a convention and don't want to miss the start of it if possible. so if anyone knows, please let me know.. by random chance, any of you happen to be going to the balloon twisters convention in boston that weekend? it'll be a blast... see yall there... rabidchild paul swan ------------------------------ From: Pahteeh@aol.com Message-ID: <42.d540fd.25bf9278@aol.com> Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:57:44 EST Subject: TMBG: gettin' sentimental.... sarah wrote: >last night, in an attempt to fall asleep, i tuned my clock radio to one of >those AM oldie-classics stations (y'know the kind?).. i heard "lady is a >tramp" followed by "gettin' sentimental over you." the latter, i didn't >even realize tmbg did as a cover (or maybe i did know that, i just >forgot?). > made me kinda wonder what percentage of tmbg's songs are not written by >tmbg. humm. int'resting? dunno. (but i do know that i like TMBG's >'sentimental..' much better than the original. :)) According to the Then liner notes, the song was written by George Bassman and Ned Washington, and "adapted" by TMBG. This song is a classic! I guess you could consider it one of the "standards" sung by all the greats of the mid-twentieth century: people like Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Mel Torme, etc. I have quite a few versions of it, one of them from a group called the Sportcoats, and on the record it claims that they are Jack Benny's favorite music group. I also have an instrumental version on a five record set of music from that era done by none other than the Longines Symphonette! Just thought I'd share a little more about this song! -pah*teeh ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:03:30 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Jeopardy I was watching Jeopardy(sp) today and one the the ctagories was #3 songs...they didn't have any tmbg related answers but later on in double jeopardy, there was a question about the country of Turkey. I shouted out ,"Istanbul!"....and that was the answer. Harlan DrSaxx@aol.com CounterfeitFaker@hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:22:05 EST Subject: TMBG: "I'm the Substitute Now" As a former substitute teacher, imagine my delight when I called Dial-a-Song today and heard Flans recite a poem about the "joys" of the profession! This was immediately followed by the same words put to a rockin' tune. My suspicions that this was yet another song written for Malcolm in the Middle were confimed when the next song turned out to be the full version of "Nice is good, mean is bad," etc. Man, if you thought that song was annoying (yet somehow terribly cool as only TMBG can be annoying yet terribly cool), well, aye aye aye BTW, I like how they're sometimes including 2 songs for the price of one, so to speak, lately, and how they change it every few days rather than every day like in the old days. That way those who miss the first day it's played get another chance to hear it. Long live DAS! In other musings, a potential future interview question might be if we might see a TMBG cameo on Malcolm in the Middle someday. Cantcha just see Linnell as a science or history teacher? Kay, who can also picture Flans teaching math ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #25-26 ******************************