Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #25-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 25, Number 27 Thursday, 27 January 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Dial-A-Song TMBG: boston avalon show -Reply Re: TMBG: gettin' sentimental.... Re: TMBG: Dial-A-Song Re: TMBG: gettin' sentimental.... TMBG: Longines Symphonette Re: TMBG: Longines Symphonette Re: TMBG: Dial-A-Song Re: TMBG: Dial-A-Song TMBG: linnell conan Re: TMBG: linnell conan Re: TMBG: Dial-A-Song TMBG: Linnell conan again Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <003001bf67d5$f51740a0$54956420@oemcomputer> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Dial-A-Song Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 00:18:40 -0800 Someone mentioned this before but I hope someone is taping these songs. Rob Plass's sight had Hovring Sobraro so anyone know if he is continuing to record them? Last week they had a sweet song that i only got to hear once! : ( Erich [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:11:12 +0000 Subject: TMBG: boston avalon show -Reply There is NO way you are going to slide that past us mately! You have a CONVENTION on this subject! Cough up the details....... Richard >>> "rabidchild@tmbg.org" 26/January/2000 11:13am >>> by random chance, any of you happen to be going to the balloon twisters convention in boston that weekend? rabidchild paul swan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200001261457.JAA20712@janus.AmbrosiaSW.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: gettin' sentimental.... Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:59:16 -0400 From: Ben Spees On 1/26/00 3:04 AM, Pahteeh@aol.com wrote: >This song is a classic! I guess you could consider it one of the >"standards" sung by all the greats of the mid-twentieth century: people >like Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Mel Torme, etc. I have quite a few >versions of it, one of them from a group called the Sportcoats, and on the >record it claims that they are Jack Benny's favorite music group. I also >have an instrumental version on a five record set of music from that era >done by none other than the Longines Symphonette! Just thought I'd share a >little more about this song! Hmm. I thought it had been established that the Longines Symphonette was not a musical group, but a watch. -Ben ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <19.caa6d1.25c07b45@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:31:01 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Dial-A-Song << Someone mentioned this before but I hope someone is taping these songs. Rob Plass's sight had Hovring Sobraro so anyone know if he is continuing to record them? Last week they had a sweet song that i only got to hear once! : ( >> Well, so far I've recorded 2: Hovering Sombrero and a new one (something about a sissy bar...). They're decent quality, but the problem is, I can only make wavs. My MP3 encoder doesn't work (wrong version of DOS my ass...), so can anyone recommend a better MP3 encoder? PR Mega ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000f01bf681d$32e3e680$261e10ac@clemson.edu> From: "Adam Tyner" Subject: Re: TMBG: gettin' sentimental.... Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:48:40 -0500 There was unquestionably a Longines Symphonette Orchestra For instance: http://www.kcmetro.cc.mo.us/pennvalley/biology/lewis/crosby/albums.htm "1 9 6 5 The Songs I Love (Longines Society) -- RECORDING DATES: Nov. 30, Dec. 2, 1965. ACCOMPANIMENT: Michel Piastro and the Longines Symphonette Orchestra. EVALUATION: Bing recorded this album with the Longines Symphonette Orchestra to be distributed by Longines through the mail. On most of these songs Bing's voice sounds tired and ineffective, but he rises to the occasion on "Ole Buttermilk Sky," "All Alone" and "I'll Take Romance." Grade: C+" or from http://www.palosverdes.com/sbcms/sidney.htm -- "During this period of major assignments, Sidney [Stafford] toured with Mishel Piastro's Longines Symphonette (1953 through 1959). Also he was Michael Rabin's accompanist in 1959. He toured with David Abel from 1959 to 1966." or go to http://gemm.com and search for "Longines Symphonette", where you'll find a slew of recordings. The Longines Symphonette may have been supported/promoted/etc. by a watch company (I have no idea), but the fact that there was such a musical group is indisputable. -Adam ----- Original Message ----- From: Ben Spees > Hmm. I thought it had been established that the Longines Symphonette was > not a musical group, but a watch. ------------------------------ Message-id: Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:52:17 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Longines Symphonette From: rmootrey@oise.utoronto.ca (Robert Mootrey) Hi, I have an old stereo record player/radio with the brand name "Longines Symphonette". -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <69.5e1928.25c0cdae@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:22:38 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Longines Symphonette > Hi, > > I have an old stereo record player/radio with the brand name "Longines > Symphonette". > > -Sean Mootrey. You should use that record player a whole lot. I suggest you play records on it ALL day. Don't let it rest! Lydia A Mecca Of Bad Puns And Other Wordplay Since 1837 ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <61.12084af.25c0cf5d@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:29:49 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Dial-A-Song Sorry to go off the original subject, but does anyone know the URL of the ftp-like site listing of all the songs available for DL on Dialasong? I coulda sworn there was one... Lydia Swirling into a dark cavernous abyss due to lack of Dialasong downloads ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <7d.45997e.25c102f1@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:09:53 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Dial-A-Song In a message dated 1/26/00 8:56:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, PR Mega writes: > Try these: Index of /sounds Index of /dial/sound . There isn't much of > a difference, but I think one has The Smoking Gun (I forgot which), > > PR Mega > There, that's them! Thankyew! Lydia Eagles may soar free and proud, But weasels never get sucked into jet engines. ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:12:44 EST Subject: TMBG: linnell conan Nobody would happen to have put the Linnell on Conan clip on a site or would happen to know where one is would they? little council bluffs iowa doesn't replay it in the morning... Harlan DrSaxx@aol.com CounterfeitFaker@hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003101bf686c$dcb0e380$261e10ac@clemson.edu> From: "Adam Tyner" Subject: Re: TMBG: linnell conan Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:18:55 -0500 It was recently added to http://www.twistid.com/tmbg -Adam ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 9:12 PM Subject: TMBG: linnell conan > Nobody would happen to have put the Linnell on Conan clip on a site or would > happen to know where one is would they? little council bluffs iowa doesn't > replay it in the morning... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:57:45 -0500 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <388FB429.108A343B@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems, Inc. Subject: Re: TMBG: Dial-A-Song PRMega@aol.com wrote: > > Well, so far I've recorded 2: Hovering Sombrero and a new one (something > about a sissy bar...). They're decent quality, but the problem is, I can only > make wavs. My MP3 encoder doesn't work (wrong version of DOS my ass...), so > can anyone recommend a better MP3 encoder? > http://surf.to/cdex contains the LAME encoder, which will give you GREAT quality! Even does VBR! -- --DIAL-A-SONG Always free, Always busy (718) 387 6962-- "Tell your friends about Dial-A-Song, and we'll see how long this machine holds up." --John Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 22:17:19 EST Subject: TMBG: Linnell conan again hooray...I found the sound thing(thanks ctyner) and I was wondering...and this is doubtfull...if there is a movie file of it? Harlan DrSaxx@aol.com CounterfeitFaker@hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #25-27 ******************************