Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #25-29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 25, Number 29 Saturday, 29 January 2000 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: OMLT TMBG: TMBG on Jeopardy TMBG: TMBG on YDKJ TMBG: Sonicnet article on Linnell Re: TMBG: TMBG on Jeopardy Re: TMBG: Sonicnet article on Linnell TMBG: Chord help etc. TMBG: Particle Man chords TMBG: Sorry (none) TMBG: sorrysorrysorry Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 05:30:38 -0800 Message-Id: <200001281330.FAA29077@www2.xoommail.com> From: Poncho Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT Zydell wrote: > >From: Zydell > Subject: TMBG: OMLT > > I had an address change and need to update the person in charge of the > OMLT project. I want to make sure My T-shirt gets sent to the right > address. Can anyone help me forward the information? > > ;-) > > NZ > Holy smokes! That's funny enough for me to delurk and come back to the real world. You funny! HA HA Make me laugh long time! Consider that money as just stolen. Christine Goddess of the THIEVES. "Oh, I'm giving the money and the information to _______ and he's going to finish the project. I've lived in Florida for over 2.5 years and she got my money when I lived in Ohio. Lying tramp. Brother John Green Jello **who's both justified AND ancient** ______________________________________________________ Get your free web-based email at http://www.xoom.com Birthday? Anniversary? Send FREE animated greeting cards for any occasion at http://greetings.xoom.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:15:26 -0500 (EST) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Jeopardy Message-ID: For the record, TMBG's "Birdhouse in Your Soul" was once asked about on Rock & Roll Jeopardy. Hence, a TMBG game show reference, a question about tmbg, etc. --Jason Glastetter ==================================================================== http://www.poingly.com - - Home of the infamous Poingly online game! http://www.mp3.com/poingly - - Download Poingly mp3 songs for FREE!! ==================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:28:34 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: TMBG on YDKJ Message-ID: On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > I had an address change and need to update the person in charge of the > OMLT project. I want to make sure My T-shirt gets sent to the right > address. Can anyone help me forward the information? Bwahahahahaha! That's a good one! > At 06:50 PM 1/27/2000 -0800, Bongo wrote: > > As far as I know, the only genuine TMBG game show question was in the > "You Don't Know Jack" computer game. I wish I could remember the question. "They Might Be Giants write a love song about They Might Be Giants. Who's it about?" (paraphrased from my own rotten memory) Correct answer was "George C. Scott". It wasn't in the original but, IIRC, the movie version. --nicole twn *** "You have carried your scars this far because you love them..."--Peter Mulvey Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org carlsonn@seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002501bf69be$73670fa0$261e10ac@clemson.edu> From: "Adam Tyner" Subject: TMBG: Sonicnet article on Linnell Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:35:07 -0500 Anti-Anthems Abound On John Linnell's State Songs They Might Be Giants member's first solo record features wacky jingles, car alarm, carousel organ. Correspondent Corey Moss reports: When John Linnell, co-founder of the quirky rock duo They Might Be Giants, says, "This sounds a little weird," you know the songwriter/multi-instrumentalist is up to something. What he's been up to is his first solo project, State Songs, an assortment of 15 newly conceived U.S. state "anthems" released in the fall on Rounder Records. And "a little weird" is one way of describing it. "I actually assembled a collection of songs with states as the titles but that don't really have anything to do with the states," Linnell said. "I thought it would be nice to present it as if they were state anthems - which, of course, they're really not." He began working on the project 12 years ago while recording the second album for They Might Be Giants, the duo - with John Flansburgh - that cornered the market on brainy, often humorous indie pop in the late '80s and early '90s. They had such left-field hits as "Birdhouse in Your Soul," "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" and "Particle Man." "I liked the idea of song titles that didn't immediately give you the whole idea of the song," Linnell said. "Very typically, John and I have written songs where the title is kind of the kernel of the whole song. ... So this was going to be a completely different idea, where there would be a set of names that wouldn't tell you anything." List-Inspired Lyrics Linnell started making lists of things, including U.S. presidents and "Planet of the Apes" movie titles. (The latter list eventually spawned a set of tracks on the 1998 live album Severe Tire Damage.) He settled on states with the idea that he could assemble them as a collection of anthems. "But these anthems don't talk about how great the state is, or how much you love the state. You don't put your hand over your heart while you are singing them," he said. "Some of them are distinctly negative, and some of them could be perceived as negative. I wouldn't presume to tell you whether it is or isn't." "Michigan" (RealAudio excerpt) was the first state to receive the star treatment, immortalized on disc in what Linnell said sounds like a "football game song." "But as I wrote more songs," he said, "they got farther away from sounding like traditional anthems." State Songs is packed with wacky jingles and circus pop. "Iowa" (RealAudio excerpt) features Linnell on the Dustbuster, while "Idaho" (RealAudio excerpt) is set to an annoyingly familiar-sounding car alarm. "I was thinking this is a sound that will probably go out of style at some point and be forever associated with the late-20th century," Linnell said of the alarm. "So it's kind of a nice thing to put it on a record and have it preserved, for better or worse. "There was one going off all day outside my studio one day. So, finally, I just took a tape recorder and held it up next to the window and got a nice recording for the album," Linnell added. Rhythm Nation Linnell, who was named People Online's Ninth Most Beautiful Person last year, said the one connection between the song and the state is simply the sound of the name. "Each state has a rhythm to its name, so I would try out different states with melodies," he explained. "There's a sound that Iowa has that fits the story of a witch. It shouldn't be taken too personally among Iowans." Apparently, it's not. According to Conor Bezane, a disc jockey at KURE-FM in Ames, Iowa, Linnell's homage is a favorite at the college station. "I know DJs who will pick up that CD and immediately play the Iowa song because our station is headquartered in Iowa, and there's others who are from Illinois or other states, and they'll play those songs as kind of a home-state pride thing," Bezane said. Chances are slim that Linnell's tunes will displace any official state songs, although an employee of one state seemed willing to entertain the notion. "Our official state song is 'Oregon My Oregon,' but no one here knows the words," John Coney, spokesperson for Gov. John Kitzhaber, said. "Changing it would have to go through the Oregon Legislature, but considering last time they were in session they changed the state motto, it's probably not that far-out of an idea." Extraordinary sounds Like most of what They Might Be Giants have done, the State Songs experiment is most likely to please the band's loyal following, who keep the labelless duo in business by phoning their unique Dial-A-Song service and downloading their MP3s. (They Might Be Giants had the most downloads of any band on the Web last year, according to Emusic.) While Flansburgh, Linnell's partner in rhyme, has been fronting his own side project, Mono Puff, for several years, State Songs is Linnell's first non-Giants effort. "When John and I work together, we do whatever we want - we're not thinking of a sound we want to refine," Linnell said. "With State Songs, I felt I could focus in on a more specific idea. There was something I felt I could do outside They Might Be Giants that would be pretty different." The most extraordinary sounds on State Songs come from vintage carousel organs, which supply the melodies on four of the 15 tracks. Linnell said he originally tried to record the carousel in New York's Central Park but was turned away because he didn't have a permit. He eventually tracked down two men who punch holes in paper rolls for carousel organs and had them transfer his arrangements to that late-19th-century format. "It was a crazy amount of work," Linnell said, "but the results were obviously something different, which made it worth it." ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <72.142f335.25c342b3@aol.com> Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:06:27 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on Jeopardy In a message dated 1/27/00 9:45:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, ggr@wlg.com writes: << If you still have the tapes, maybe Russ Josephsen could include a little excerpt in his next TMBG Video Bootleg. (If he does another one ... and I hope he does!) >> I think my friend sent that and some other stuff to him. Including the Clarissa Explains It All TMBG stuff, a short video about a kid getting a sugar rush with Mono Puff playing in the background and a crappy "Siftin'" video that I made. Harry Pyle ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <22.148e4e8.25c35628@aol.com> Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:29:28 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Sonicnet article on Linnell In a message dated 1/28/00 1:37:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, Adam writes: << When John Linnell, co-founder of the quirky rock duo They Might Be Giants, says, "This sounds a little weird," you know the songwriter/multi-instrumentalist is up to something. >> Quirky. I've never heard of They Might Be Giants called "quirky" before. That's gotta be a new one But seriously, who saw that coming? But enough of that. Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <6b.1292554.25c3ae32@aol.com> Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 21:45:06 EST Subject: TMBG: Chord help etc. Hey, I just checked out "Giants Jubilee" and "Mightathon" on TMBG.org. What's with that? They just look like all the tracks on "Then", except for the regular albums. How come nobody evers talks about them? Also, I'm dying to get the chords for Particle Man and Puppet Head. The Particle Man chords on TMBG.org says that it's easy to figure out if you can play by ear or something. Well, I can't. I need help. Thank you. But enough of that. Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: <15.bd775e.25c3ba96@aol.com> Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 22:37:58 EST Subject: TMBG: Particle Man chords Here it is CallMeDoctorWorm or anyone else...Particle Man chords... A E A E D A Particle Man Particle Man Doing the things a particle can what's he like? It's not A A D E important particle man. Is he a dot, or is he a speck? when he's underwater does A D E D A he get wet? Or does the water get him instead? nobody know particle man (accordion solo) A E A E E B E A The Melody is the same for every verse, so is the accordion solo Note: These chords are for the flood version, not the live. This is in the key of A and live is in C. Harlan DrSaxx@aol.com CounterfeitFaker@hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 22:49:16 EST Subject: TMBG: Sorry Ok....the chord thing didn't exactly come out the way I wrote it. Thank you Aol. I'm going to try once more through my hotmail address...sorry for wasting your time ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000129035559.8887.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Counterfeit Faker" Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 21:55:59 CST * -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A E Particle man, particle man A E Doing the things a particle can D A What's he like? It's not important A Particle man A D Is he a dot, or is he a speck? E A When he's underwater does he get wet? D E Or does the water get him instead? D A Nobody knows, Particle man Accordion Solo A E A E E B E A Note: this is the flood version which is in the key of A...the live is in the key of C...If you need help on the C just write me and I'll send you it Harlan DrSaxx@aol.com CounterfeitFaker@hotmail.com ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: <2b.132b333.25c3c02e@aol.com> Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 23:01:50 EST Subject: TMBG: sorrysorrysorry OK. Do you pretty much get the picture?...When I send it it always pushes the chords slightly to the left...you can figure it out though, right? Sorry once again for clogging up your inboxes Harlan DrSaxx@aol.com CounterfeitFaker@hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #25-29 ******************************