Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #25-30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 25, Number 30 Sunday, 30 January 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG game show refrences Re: TMBG: TMBG game show refrences Re: TMBG: TMBG game show refrences TMBG: TMBG mention in new EW... TMBG: State Songs review TMBG: Y100 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 12:00:48 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <86v6eg$24q$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG game show refrences > > As far as I know, the only genuine TMBG game show question was in the > "You Don't Know Jack" computer game. I wish I could remember the question. The question was, "Let's say the band They Might Be Giants had written a love song for the movie They Might Be Giants. About which famous literary duo would they have been singing?" The correct answer was, of course Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson. TMBG was also refrenced in several other game shows. In the show 'Debt', several of their songs were named and the contestants had to identify the band. All three of them were stumped. In Rock 'n Roll Jeopardy, in the catagory "Silly songs", the answer was: "According to They Might Be Giants, if you made a date in Constantinople, she'd be waiting in this city." Of course, the question was "What is Istanbul?".. not that anyone knew that one either. In Jeopardy, the catagory was once "They might be giants". Okay, it had nothing to do with the band. It was about things that are very large. Finally, I was once sitting in a resturant that had NTN trivia (a national trivia game that never asks the same question twice) and I was stunned to look up and see a question that asked where They Might Be Giants live. Okay, it's not a game show but still. -Mike ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 10:02:33 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG game show refrences Message-ID: <7570-38932B39-5768@storefull-244.iap.bryant.webtv.net> A category on Rock n' Roll Jeopardy once was "In the House," and I believe the answer was along the lines of: "They Might Be Giants wrote a song about putting a little one of these in your soul." Something like that. One of the contestants even knew it! And of course, not that I need to tell any here this, the question was "What is a birdhouse?" Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000129195702.22364.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG game show refrences Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 19:57:02 GMT TDK wrote: >In Rock 'n Roll Jeopardy, in the catagory "Silly songs", the answer was: >"According >to They Might Be Giants, if you made a date in Constantinople, she'd be >waiting in this city." Of course, the question was "What is Istanbul?".. >not >that anyone knew that one either. Well, that's not a lack of knowledge of TMBG trivia so much as a lack of knowledge of history and geography. -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <46.fab2bb.25c4cf47@aol.com> Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:18:31 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG mention in new EW... From the new issue of Entertainment Weekly--- GIANT STEPS - Your hot new sitcom needs quirky music. Who ya gonna call? Not Ray parker Jr., but wacky-pop duo They Might Be Giants. Linwood Boomer, creator-exec producer of Fox's hit Malcolm in the Middle, tagged TMBG's John Flansburgh and John Linnell (who also did the theme for Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me) to provide original music. "We need a lot, especially since there's no laugh track," says Boomer. "These guys do amazing songs on a moment's notice. I don't know how, but I'm happy they're doing it." TMBG are equally happy, despite the workload. "Some episodes are almost wall-to-wall music," says Flansburgh. "We record a half hour of music each week; we're used to recording a half hour of music every 2 years." Will there be a spin-off album? Says Flansburgh: "That would be really satisfying. Maybe a box set." (article by Tom Sinclair) Jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000130050137.13979.qmail@web109.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 21:01:37 -0800 (PST) From: Jennifer Morton Subject: TMBG: State Songs review I just ran into this in The Stranger, a weekly paper in Seattle. Thought someone might be interested. This is the exact text. ~Jennifer JOHN LINELL State Songs (Zoe/Rounder) **** It doesn't say much for They Might Be Giants that the best thing they've done in years was the two-line Goldfinger parody that opened up the second Austin Powers movie. Of their last four albums, two were live, and one was an MP3-only collection of B-sides and castoffs. While they never made music that was fraught with any significance, the Giants once were capable of churning out catchy, clever pop tunes at an alarming rate, but as of late seem to be stuck in the rut of rock-band middle age. Which is why it's a refreshing surprise to hear John Linell's latest solo offering, which is as catchy and downright enjoyable as anything either of the duo have done since the days of Lincoln and Flood. The record, and a few more albums that will supposedly follow, are built around the shaky premise of writing a song about every state in the Union. While that sounds like the formula for a below-average Jad Fair album, Linell works well within the conceptual constraints by chiefly ignoring them. In general, he just writes really catchy songs and then works the name of the state in there somewhere. Portlanders beware: The only song that discusses its state at any length is "Oregon," a dirge which opens with the line, "Oregon is bad/Stop it if you can," and goes from there. But other than that and a song that claims Iowa is a witch (it doesn't make a lot of sense, but neither does the song where he realizes Montana is a leg), he's pretty ambivalent toward the states themselves and just sings spirited tales of bicycle crashes, hospital beds, and a boat shaped like Arkansas. All of them are enjoyable, provided you don't hate the sound of Linell's voice, which is admittedly nasal and can be somewhat whiny. But if you've ever called up the Dial-A-Song (admit it), and don't mind the occasional ditty with an accordion in it, State Songs is well worth picking up. MIKE VAGO __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <3b.66ef50.25c52994@aol.com> Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 00:43:48 EST Subject: TMBG: Y100 If you live in Philly, than you know what Y100 is and how much they hate TMBG. I've heard them play one TMBG song ever. I think it was Birdhouse. Yesterday I turned the radio and low-and-behold, what do I hear?! TMBG, sorta...it was Flansburgh singing, to the tune of the MITM theme song. He was saying "Who's gonna guess the dead guy, whos gonna guess the dead guy, whos gonna guess the dead guy in the envelope." (The dead guy in the envelope being one of the coolest contests Y100 has...but I'm not even going to attempt to explain it, it's too complicated...wait, no it isn't. All you do is call up and guess the name of a dead celebrity.) So has anyone else heard this? It's really strange...but then again, it's Y100. They're weird. They drink milk until they throw up; on the air. Jon ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #25-30 ******************************