Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #26-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 26, Number 17 Thursday, 17 February 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: poetic songs Re: TMBG: poetic songs Re: TMBG: poetic songs Re: TMBG: poetic songs Re: TMBG: poetic songs TMBG: what's YOUR definition of poetic? Re: TMBG: what's YOUR definition of poetic? Re: TMBG: what's YOUR definition of poetic? Re: TMBG: what's YOUR definition of poetic? Re: TMBG: what's YOUR definition of poetic? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 03:15:00 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <200002160815.DAA15469@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000216221421.26249.qmail@web204.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:14:21 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: poetic songs so i have to do this thing in english and i have to bring in a song thats poetic so i'm thinking tmbg help me out people this are prospects so far "I'm gettin' sentimental over you" "fingertips" "New Hampshire" -JL or "Despair" by King Missle help me out, please. -Chris(t) ps, hello everyone on offtopic i think i'm gone for a while again. sorry i'll be back. __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <50.1b04b0e.25dc83b8@aol.com> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 17:50:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: poetic songs They'll need a crane might be a good song...or Mister Me....or Snowball in Hell...hmm...I'm going to go listen to Lincoln... -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38AAE5E8.14AD4B5C@osu.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:01:13 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: poetic songs Lincoln seems great for "poetic" songs....I immediately thought of Lie Still, Little Bottle, Cage & Aquarium, Where Your Eyes Don't Go, and Pencil Rain. Diana Alterian@aol.com wrote: > They'll need a crane might be a good song...or Mister Me....or Snowball in > Hell...hmm...I'm going to go listen to Lincoln... > -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20000216180434.00b27ec0@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:04:51 -0500 From: Andrew Sawtelle Subject: Re: TMBG: poetic songs At 05:50 PM 2/16/00 -0500, you wrote: >They'll need a crane might be a good song...or Mister Me....or Snowball in >Hell...hmm...I'm going to go listen to Lincoln... >-Amber the Transcendent Or Meet James Ensor. _________/| |\_________ |_________||ZOT! Andrew_Sawtelle@brown.edu ZOT!||_________| \| www.angelfire.com/ri/kingfisher |/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:43:03 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <88fcfu$16t7$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: poetic songs Would "I Should Be Allowed to Think" be too obvious? "Hovering Sombrero" would make a nice, short poem if you're not too interested in deep meaning. I was also thinking of "Where your eyes don't go", "We Want a Rock", and "No One Knows My Plan". Anyway, Jose Andrew Sawtelle wrote in message news:4.2.0.58.20000216180434.00b27ec0@postoffice.brown.edu... > At 05:50 PM 2/16/00 -0500, you wrote: > >They'll need a crane might be a good song...or Mister Me....or Snowball in > >Hell...hmm...I'm going to go listen to Lincoln... > >-Amber the Transcendent > > Or Meet James Ensor. > > > > _________/| |\_________ > |_________||ZOT! Andrew_Sawtelle@brown.edu ZOT!||_________| > \| www.angelfire.com/ri/kingfisher |/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001501bf78dc$d01f1760$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: what's YOUR definition of poetic? Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:20:34 -0500 Organization: Marymount College It seems to me that this is one especially inane thread on this list. While, I am not usually one to flame i have to step in here. The songs you are metioning are not especially poetic, its more like "lets name my favorite song by my favorite band so i can play them in class". Who the hell said Meet James Ensor was poetic? Don't tell me that If i don't like it i can leave. That's not the point. I like to let people know that when they think they are being smart or saying something worthwhile they really arent. Because after all I wouldn't want the poor person to fail through your suggestions. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38AB499A.7A38@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 20:06:33 -0500 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: what's YOUR definition of poetic? I'm not sure that flaming or any of this is necessary. My definition of poetic is any song, really. Songs have lyrics, which are basically poetry. Before we had fancy guitars and accordians and such, a "song" and a "poem" were pretty much the same thing, a metered recitation of words. So if TMBG is on stage, and Linnell says or sings words with a specific meter/rhythm to them to entertain the audience with not just the meaning of the words, but the rhythm and sound of them, then that is a song/poem. If the student fails because the teacher doesn't believe a song is poetic, then the teacher has a mighty skewed view of 'poetic' in my opinion. Maybe too much of a Classicist, K.C. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20000216201139.00c92df0@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 20:12:08 -0500 From: Andrew Sawtelle Subject: Re: TMBG: what's YOUR definition of poetic? At 07:20 PM 2/16/00 -0500, you wrote: >It seems to me that this is one especially inane thread on this list. >While, I am not usually one to flame i have to step in here. The songs you >are metioning are not especially poetic, its more like "lets name my >favorite song by my favorite band so i can play them in class". Who the >hell said Meet James Ensor was poetic? Don't tell me that If i don't like >it i can leave. That's not the point. I like to let people know that when >they think they are being smart or saying something worthwhile they really >arent. Because after all I wouldn't want the poor person to fail through >your suggestions. OK, so NONE of TMBG's songs are all that poetic. It's not their lyrical style. _________/| |\_________ |_________||ZOT! Andrew_Sawtelle@brown.edu ZOT!||_________| \| www.angelfire.com/ri/kingfisher |/ ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 20:13:01 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: what's YOUR definition of poetic? Hey...my suggstions were poetic! =P -Amber the Transcendent Mistress ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38AB1E3B.EC5BDB6C@osu.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:01:33 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: what's YOUR definition of poetic? Ok, just when a potentially interesting thread comes up on the list, you people go and FLAME it of all things. I thought it'd have been cool to discuss why certain songs were poetic, interpret some things anew possibly, who knows. But I guess that's just silly ol' me. I personally thought it was cool that he wanted to use TMBG in his class. I had an assignment like that once when I was in high school (before I knew of TMBG) and I used a Smashing Pumpkins song. A TMBG song would've been way better though. Diana Christina Rockwell wrote: > It seems to me that this is one especially inane thread on this list. > While, I am not usually one to flame i have to step in here. The songs you > are metioning are not especially poetic, its more like "lets name my > favorite song by my favorite band so i can play them in class". Who the > hell said Meet James Ensor was poetic? Don't tell me that If i don't like > it i can leave. That's not the point. I like to let people know that when > they think they are being smart or saying something worthwhile they really > arent. Because after all I wouldn't want the poor person to fail through > your suggestions. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #26-17 ******************************