Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #26-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 26, Number 22 Tuesday, 22 February 2000 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: state songs cd thingy Re: TMBG: NON-TMBG -- Moxy Fruvous, The Cure, Jonathan Richman TMBG: Re: Howl TMBG: Re: Howl TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? Re: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm and Broom videos Re: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? Re: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? TMBG: Re: poetic songs (christina) TMBG: sorry christina i'm dumb TMBG: Thank you people (poetic suggestions) TMBG: Re: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? Fwd: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? Re: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? Re: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? TMBG: 2/20's MITM Re: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <8c.12c0e74.25e2481a@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 02:49:46 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: state songs cd thingy In a message dated 2/21/00 1:24:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, Gegatron@aol.com writes: << tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >> I noticed it too. Its also on the State Songs shirt. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38B16A42.E84E1F22@fruvous.com> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:39:30 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: NON-TMBG -- Moxy Fruvous, The Cure, Jonathan Richman Josh2Face@aol.com wrote: > > Hey, I just thought I'd check up and just give a few thoughts. I just picked > Also, I just picked up my first Moxy Fruvous album, "You Will Go To The > Moon", and I like it a whole lot. I've only been able to listen to like the > first 4-5 songs, though, and I like it alot. Any suggestions for other > Fruvous albums?? They came to Cleveland a few months ago and I didn't go to > the show, so now I'm really kicking myself. I think I saw a live album of > theirs once, is it worth getting?? Any suggestions??? Hi! Sorry to wait so long to reply to this, but I spent the last week in Toronto for 3 Moxy Fruvous shows and a Fruhead Convention (all were most spectacular). Anyways, Fruvous does have a live album and it is very good. I'd recommend you pick it up next no matter what since it gives a slight taste of what they are like in concert (and they are best in concert - studio CDs can't represent them well enough). Their newest album, Thornhill, is my favorite. It has a lot of Beatles influence. If you like Kick in the Ass or the title track on Moon, Bargainville is a good next choice as well. That Odeon show in Cleveland was pretty good. They are in Dayton tuesday night if you can make that and want to check them out... - Chad ------------------------------ From: algernon@cnw.com Message-Id: Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:21:40 -0800 Subject: TMBG: Re: Howl I can't believe Jose reprinted the entire text of Howl. Man, what ever happened to the days when this list was QUIET? (um, I'm being facetious, just in case anyone wants to flame me) PZ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 18:36:10 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <88si0e$2qka$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Howl I like to bring discussion with me. I figured those who wanted to read it could, and if they didn't they could delete it. Most webpage graphics are larger than 19K, so I didn't think too many people would complain. If the size of my message did upset you, however, you are all welcome to flame my e-mail address as much as you wish. ;-) Regards, Jose wrote in message news:l03130302b4d778ca74ee@[207.149.128.61]... > I can't believe Jose reprinted the entire text of Howl. Man, what ever > happened to the days when this list was QUIET? > > (um, I'm being facetious, just in case anyone wants to flame me) > > PZ > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 18:47:13 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <88sil6$2qua$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? I was wondering what everyone's favorite TMBG quotes are. Having looked through personal fan-based webpages, I am always interested in which quotes people choose as their favorites. They are often quotes I haven't previously heard or are quotes I didn't find exceptionally interesting/inspiring/meaningful/whatever. With that introduction and the sole purpose of education in mind, my personal favorite: "Should you worry when the skullhead is in front of you Or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?" - (Where Your Eyes Don't Go) Regards, Jose ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.20000221194210.00972710@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 19:43:31 -0500 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? "we got some new songs here, that are not even on the mp3 thing. They aren't available in any format except, of course, the bootlegs that seem to proliferate throughout our audience, as we watch lipsink along to songs that haven't been released. DAMN YOU! Um, so... here's one of those songs. Its called 'its so loud in here.'" -John Linnell That just cracked me up when I heard it. :) -thm- At 06:47 PM 2/21/00 -0500, Jose wrote: >I was wondering what everyone's favorite TMBG quotes are. Having looked >through personal fan-based webpages, I am always interested in which quotes >people choose as their favorites. They are often quotes I haven't >previously heard or are quotes I didn't find exceptionally >interesting/inspiring/meaningful/whatever. With that introduction and the >sole purpose of education in mind, my personal favorite: > >"Should you worry when the skullhead is in front of you >Or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?" >- (Where Your Eyes Don't Go) > > Regards, > Jose > > ............................................................................. -the hanged man- AIM: THM42 ICQ: 10933909 email: thehangedman@death-star.com web: http://thehangedman.digitaldriveway.com BBS: telnet://solace.digitaldriveway.com Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, American writer and philosopher (1803-1882) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 19:59:33 -0500 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm and Broom videos >Instead of d/ling them, they play in a seperate window. Does anyone know if >there's a way to save the files (they used to be .mov) so I can watch them >without being online? Thanks. Go to: http://www.tmbg.com/quantity/video/ -- Jonathan Chaffer http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ,, Computer Science and Mathematics Student, University of Michigan ->QQ<- "Miren al pepino. Que suaves movimentos. _||_ Es como montequilla en un chango pelon." -- Larry the Cucumber ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:33:05 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? John Flansburgh talking to John Linnell about swearing during a webcast..... JF "Joh, I just had two of the biggest cups of coffee in my life, and my mind is RACING like a GERBIL! And all I can think about is how MY mom is listening to YOU swear....(in a soft, high pitched voice) 'John, I heard your broadcast.....I just don't know WHY you have to talk like that'.....it's a whole new kinda shame........EEEEE shame" -kreadoubt "no no, t's alright. The webcast guy told us it was OK to swear!" ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <27.217a698.25e34591@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:51:13 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? From the same show as the "mind racing like a gerbil" JL: "So, we understand it's OK to curse on the internet.... It's fucking OK." Also, from the show in Atlanta last year: Crowd: "WE LOVE GRAHAM! WE LOVE GRAHAM! WE LOVE GRAHAM!" JF: "*WE* love Graham! *WE* love Graham! *WE* love Graham!" JL: "You can't have Graham, he's ours." JF: "So, ah, Graham, how long has this thing been going on between you and the audience?" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000222022559.2292.qmail@web214.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 18:25:59 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Re: poetic songs (christina) > Christina, > so in saying christina are you refering to me, i put up the suggestion i'm Christopher -Chris(t) the t is for tyler my last name __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000222023552.9868.qmail@web217.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 18:35:52 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: sorry christina i'm dumb oops disregard what i said about someone mistakeing me for christina i'm an idiot sorry chris(t) __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000222024545.14098.rocketmail@web220.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 18:45:45 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Thank you people (poetic suggestions) well first of all i'd like to thank those of you made suggestions allthough it's made my decision harder because in my opinion alot of tmbg songs ARE poetic all though some are not. but i wish you wouldn't fight over whats poetic or not. For exsample i have to agree that James Ensor is not poetic BUT thats just my opinion. Now all you english majors can fight over whats poetic and whats not but hopefully you'll relize that it's all a matter of opinion and so if you think no music is poetic unless it's spoken or what not. please don't bash other people's suggestions just don't make a suggestion. and please refain from any gay bashing what so ever, thank you -Chris(t) ps. so a new good option on the list is "which describes how your feeling" THANK YOU __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:31:14 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38B20302.4B36DA4D@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? "Music self-played is happiness self-made." Off the back of one of their T-shirts. -A Jose wrote: > > I was wondering what everyone's favorite TMBG quotes are. Having looked > through personal fan-based webpages, I am always interested in which quotes > people choose as their favorites. They are often quotes I haven't > previously heard or are quotes I didn't find exceptionally > interesting/inspiring/meaningful/whatever. With that introduction and the > sole purpose of education in mind, my personal favorite: > > "Should you worry when the skullhead is in front of you > Or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?" > - (Where Your Eyes Don't Go) > > Regards, > Jose ------------------------------ From: FrannyGlass42@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:28:55 EST Subject: Fwd: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.20000221230944.0097f560@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:10:31 -0500 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? http://twistid.com/tmbg/ always twistid you try first. -yoda (not really yoda) >I once had a bootleg from this show - specifically of that quote and the >rest of "It's So Loud In Here". Alas, I accidentally deleted it as I made >the mistake of thinking it was a copy. Does anyone in the group know where >I could find this specific performance of the song? If anyone has it, maybe >you could send it to me or post an url to the group? Thanks in advance.. > Regards, > Jose > > >the hanged man wrote in message >news:4.1.20000221194210.00972710@oscar.cc.gatech.edu... >> "we got some new songs here, that are not even on the mp3 thing. They >> aren't available in any format except, of course, the bootlegs that seem >to >> proliferate throughout our audience, as we watch lipsink along to songs >> that haven't been released. DAMN YOU! Um, so... here's one of those >> songs. Its called 'its so loud in here.'" -John Linnell >> >> That just cracked me up when I heard it. :) >> >> -thm- >> >> At 06:47 PM 2/21/00 -0500, Jose wrote: >> >I was wondering what everyone's favorite TMBG quotes are. Having looked >> >through personal fan-based webpages, I am always interested in which >quotes >> >people choose as their favorites. They are often quotes I haven't >> >previously heard or are quotes I didn't find exceptionally >> >interesting/inspiring/meaningful/whatever. With that introduction and >the >> >sole purpose of education in mind, my personal favorite: >> > >> >"Should you worry when the skullhead is in front of you >> >Or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?" >> >- (Where Your Eyes Don't Go) >> > >> > Regards, >> > Jose >> > >> > >> >> >............................................................................ >. >> -the hanged man- AIM: THM42 ICQ: 10933909 email: >thehangedman@death-star.com >> web: http://thehangedman.digitaldriveway.com >> BBS: telnet://solace.digitaldriveway.com >> >> Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen. -Ralph >> Waldo Emerson, American writer and philosopher (1803-1882) >> > > ------------------------------ Date: 21 Feb 2000 20:17:34 -0800 Message-ID: <-1260958244ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: 2/20's MITM Last night's MitM was disappointing as far as TMBG content. I suppose the music we heard throughout the show was done by one or both of them but it was kind of hard to tell. It didn't seem particularly Theyish. And yet it didn't seem anti-They either. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:52:26 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: What's Your Favorite TMBG Quote? Message-ID: <20678-38B2322A-25114@storefull-246.iap.bryant.webtv.net> My favorite TMBG quote is this Flansy one from the Vegas show I went to late last year: "You know, it's always been a dream of ours to be Las Vegas showgirls. I guess this is as close as we're gonna' get." It was something like that. I can't remeber exactly. Erich, Jessica, can you help me? You were both there. Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #26-22 ******************************