Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #27-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 27, Number 1 Wednesday, 1 March 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: RE : Hello TMBG: Re: Hello Re: TMBG: Re: Hello TMBG: We all just ran out of stuff to say Re: TMBG: We all just ran out of stuff to say Re: TMBG: We all just ran out of stuff to say TMBG: I might be.... Re: TMBG: I might be.... Re: TMBG: We all just ran out of stuff to say SortaTMBG: The Moxy Connection? TMBG: Gross or weird souvenirs Re: TMBG: Gross or weird souvenirs Re: TMBG: Gross or weird souvenirs Re: TMBG: Gross or weird souvenirs Re: TMBG: We all just ran out of stuff to say Re: SortaTMBG: The Moxy Connection? Re: TMBG: NON-TMBG. hello? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Josh2Face@aol.com Message-ID: <8a.147596d.25ed14a9@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 07:25:13 EST Subject: TMBG: RE : Hello Hey, I'm somewhat alive. I just got a really cheap copy of a CD called "Space-Tacular"...it has all the scores of the Star Wars films by John Williams and the Boston Pops so its just taking up my time. Plus, I've been looping it on the Imperial March song....While this message is useless and least everyone now knows that I like Star Wars. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:55:47 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <89gq1g$2k44$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Hello I'm here! And alive.... I think. I'm sitting around listening to Sublime (my first non-TMBG-related music break in about 3 or 4 days) and doing math homework. Oh, I'm also waiting for twistid's site to get back up so I can download some stuff. Oh yeah, and I'm kicking myself for missing John Linnell on RadioSonic this weekend. I put RadioSonic into my favorites and everything just so I wouldn't forget. Oh well, anyone have a copy of the show? They do live shows, and I don't think that they archive. Regards, Jose wrote in message news:8a.147596d.25ed14a9@aol.com... > Hey, I'm somewhat alive. I just got a really cheap copy of a CD called > "Space-Tacular"...it has all the scores of the Star Wars films by John > Williams and the Boston Pops so its just taking up my time. Plus, I've been > looping it on the Imperial March song....While this message is useless and > least everyone now knows that I like Star Wars. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:57:43 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Hello In a message dated 2/29/00 10:57:29 AM, tclose@bgnet.bgsu.edu writes: >I'm here! And alive.... I think. I'm sitting around listening to Sublime >(my first non-TMBG-related music break in about 3 or 4 days) and doing >math >homework. well, i'm here too. mostly i've been working, sleeping, eating, watching movies, drinking coffee, listening to new cd's, and deleting a lot of email. i haven't posted in what feels like ages, but let the record show that i'm still here. ;) sarah ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:28:57 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: We all just ran out of stuff to say Message-ID: <24905-38BC4829-18694@storefull-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Well, I'm still here. I could never leave you guys! Sarah wrote: mostly i've been working, sleeping, eating, watching movies, drinking coffee, listening to new cd's, I've been doing pretty much the same thing. I had some cash on me, so I bought for new C.D.s (well, new in the sense that I just got 'em. They're all a few years old). Not that any of you care, but here's what I got, and my views on them, just incase you guys want some idea on C.D.s you should get. Toadies - Rubberneck: I remembered this C.D., cause a friend of mine let me borrow it last year. I thought it was pretty cool. I saw it for 99 cents, and decided to get it. Toadies are a real cool, kinda' hard rock band. Reminescent of Steve Calhoon's other band, Skeleton Key. And the lead singer sounds kinda' like Les Claypool (of Primus). Guster - Goldfly: I really, really like this band. Their songwriting and instrumentation are absolutely superb. I love the fact that their main percussion instrument is congas, yet they still maintain the whole pop/rock vibe (and very well, I might add). The lyrics are beautiful, some may even get you a little misty eyed. And the lead singer has such a beautiful voice. I bought Guster's most recent album "Lost And Gone Forever," after hearing it in a record store. I loved it so much, that I had to buy Goldfly when I saw it, and it's just as good. Sloan - One Chord To Another: I actually got into Sloan after hearing our own Sarah the LimeZinger speak of them so highly. About a month ago, I bought their album "Twice Removed," and love it so much, I decided I had to get more. More! So, I saw a copy of "One Chord To Another," and snatched it right up. This album sounds strongly influenced by the Beatles (some tracks more than others). In my opinion, that's a good thing. Of course, Sloan adds elements to all of their songs that only they can. And they're cool because they all seem to work as equals. There's no particular frontman. They all sing (very well), and they all write songs. On another note, I highly reccomend that you ask for Sarah's advice on music. I've discovered some cool bands from observing her tastes (Odds and SNMNMNM are 2 examples). Mike Viola & The Candy Butchers - Falling Into Place: I had never heard any material by this band before, but I figured I'd try 'em out anyway, since Mike Viola plays with the Johns so much (and I also discovered that Dan Levine and Jim O'Conner are both Candy Butchers, too!). While the whole band is very talented, and Mike is a good songwriter, this album just seemed a little to, I don't know, adult contemporary-ish. You know, like Sugar Ray, Goo Goo Dolls. All of them are good bands, but can just be a slight bore at times. This is just my opinion, by the way, so I hope that noone takes offense. Now, I don't know, it could've just been this album, but I really don't see myself purchasing more stuff from them in the future. And, that's it! I hope you enjoyed my reviews! Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <4e.24ae438.25eda6aa@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 17:48:10 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: We all just ran out of stuff to say In a message dated 2/29/00 5:35:27 PM, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: >. On another note, I highly reccomend that you ask for >Sarah's advice on music. or... i could just tell you the new cd's i bought within the past week. :) ..beck .. midnite vultures ..psychedelic furs .. in the pink ..moby .. play (track #3! porcelain! ohh..) ..pulp .. his 'n' hers ..the ravenous soundtrack (bought it 'cos it's damon from blur.. but it sounds more like an aphex twin album produced by john linnell. weird.. ) i must also mention that i got a game show themes cd. i had to have it after being addicted to reruns of the 70's 'match game'. it's great... epscially if you like that sort of cute and weird music. ...as most of us here do... :) and as far as radio... lately i've been listening to am radio (hits of the 40's.. big band stuff.. it's great) and i found a staion high on the fm dial that plays disco hits. it's so refreshing. :) no korn. just fun stuff. and also, i've still been listening to the soundtracks to velvet goldmine and trainspotting (both trainspotting cds, actually)... they're great. both also great films (that both coincidentally star ewan mcgregor.. mmm) ... worth a rental. just be kind to your local video store employee, when you rent. sarah, video store employee (but don't expect to find trainspotting at my store, ours was stolen after i put it in the 'staff favourites' section) ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:04:06 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: We all just ran out of stuff to say As long as we're on the topic of everyone's personal lives, I'll tell you what I've been up to...nothing. jon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000f01bf830c$259f3420$cb946420@tk421> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: I might be.... Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:24:35 -0800 Hey someone! I heard 'I Might Be Giant too' on Radio TMBG and it said that the artist was unknown and that it was a tape left behind at a show. Now I heard that it was Deep Blue Something (Breakfast at Tiffany's) that sang it. Anyone else hear that? Erich [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20000229183028.0098cef0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:31:13 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: I might be.... I remember reading that in an interview, although if memory serves, it was the lead singer from DBS, not the full band. It's possible that They could've just been messing with us at the time... -Adam At 03:24 PM 2/29/00 -0800, Erich Cannon wrote: >Hey someone! I heard 'I Might Be Giant too' on Radio TMBG and it said that >the artist was unknown and that it was a tape left behind at a show. Now I >heard that it was Deep Blue Something (Breakfast at Tiffany's) that sang >it. Anyone else hear that? > >Erich ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:00:10 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38BC5D8A.D51FB518@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: We all just ran out of stuff to say It's midterm week here. ARGH!!! So lately I've been drowned in work. *sigh* I suppose I should get back to it. :o) -A MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > > As long as we're on the topic of everyone's personal lives, I'll tell you > what I've been up to...nothing. > > jon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000301003411.39261.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Landis" Subject: SortaTMBG: The Moxy Connection? Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:34:11 PST I just saw my first Moxy Fruvous last Tuesday. I was totally blown away. Thanks to everyone on the list for recomending them. But that's not the point. As I was leaving the show, Among the T-shirts one said "Hello" on the top. All the Tshirt guy could tell me was that it was a rare shirt from some new year's show. I'm forced to wonder if this is some TMBG connection. Perhaps having to do with The CD of the Month club or meybe if The john's were involved, it's just their tendancy to write that word on everything. (Hello Radio, hello CD of the month club, Hello: the band, etc.) Come to think of it, does anyone know the origin of the apparant obsession with that word? Thank you, John "the third John" Landis ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000301004357.83057.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Landis" Subject: TMBG: Gross or weird souvenirs Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:43:57 PST Hey, I was talking to a fellow fan, and we were wondering what the weirdest or grossest TMBG related item anyone has taken is. I've got A Towel with dry Linnell sweat and a coffee stain. I've also got a bright green off brand Chuck Taylor style sneaker autographed by Flans. I'm sure you all can outdo me here. -John "the third John" Landis ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.20000229200044.00919be0@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:00:44 -0500 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: Re: TMBG: Gross or weird souvenirs In my quest to get a setlist, I ended up w/ Linnell's cup of coffee once. Everyone in my party got a sip, but the damn club bouncers made me chuck the cup as I was leaving. Stupid DC open container law. Bah! Jeff -- "I was young and foolish then. I feel old and foolish now." -They Might Be Giants Jeff Roberts President of Foolish Mortal Enterprises Visit schlock.org at http://w3.one.net/~modnar/ ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <92.20dd274.25edc655@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:03:17 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Gross or weird souvenirs In a message dated 02/29/2000 7:47:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, dream_stage@hotmail.com writes: > Hey, I was talking to a fellow fan, and we were wondering what the weirdest > or grossest TMBG related item anyone has taken is. At the '98 Atlanta show... someone had gotten Flans's water bottle, and three people took turns drinking out of it. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:48:53 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Gross or weird souvenirs Message-ID: <20000229.225123.-342533.6.TMBgirl@juno.com> > we were wondering what the > weirdest > or grossest TMBG related item anyone has taken is. just to share with everyone else... I have a clear glass coffe mug - about 6" with a handle... it was john linnell's but we stole it after a show in ft. collins, colorado about a year ago... anyways, it still has the remnants of coffee and sugar that were caked at the bottom in it. I'm thinking about throwing it up at ebay MWAHAAHAA >:) any ideas as to what i should start the bids at? *grin* take it easy, JordAN (hahaa, guess who's copying *me* in his emails?) http://www.geocities.com/tmbgirl.geo/ http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagh. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:49:16 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: We all just ran out of stuff to say Message-ID: <20000229.225123.-342533.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> HEY HEY kiddies... I too have been off in lala land (including toronto for fruvous - it was nice meeting all the other tmbg-fans there!). :) > Toadies - Rubberneck: I remembered this C.D., hahaa, i remember seeing the toadies and white zombie together. *grin* what a funny show. (more importantly - what funny taste in music i had). > Mike Viola & The Candy Butchers - Falling Into Place: noooo... don't give in to just having listened to this album. Do yourself the favor of finding a copy of and listening to the 1995 hello christmas cd where he sings "give me a second chance for christmas" or else get a copy of the first album that never really got released (i have a copy and am more than willing to make dubs just so you don't give up on 'em). The early stuff is amazing and i think i appreciate "falling into place" way more simply because i've heard his *gaspbettercough* stuff. take it easy, JordAN (hahaa, guess who's copying *me* in his emails!) http://www.geocities.com/tmbgirl.geo/ http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:13:46 EST Subject: Re: SortaTMBG: The Moxy Connection? In a message dated 2/29/00 7:37:27 PM, dream_stage@hotmail.com writes: >All the Tshirt guy could tell me was that it was a rare shirt from >some new year's show. I'm forced to wonder if this is some TMBG connection. > hardly. it just says "hello 2000"... if it's the shirt i have. i went to the 'some new year's show'... they're just welcoming in the new year and whatever. you people and your tmbg connections. hooey. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000301043010.23694.qmail@web3001.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:30:10 -0800 (PST) From: Anastasia Hunt Subject: Re: TMBG: NON-TMBG. hello? --- Adrienne Spruill wrote: > Helllooooo? Everyone still alive? Yes, I am. Now stop worrying about me!!! I am a big girl!!! Anastasia Klutzing her way to lurk land ===== Dear God, Thank you for letting my toilet be Y2K compliant. (inspired by the Daily Show) __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #27-1 *****************************