Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #27-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 27, Number 10 Friday, 10 March 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-9 Semi-TMBG: What I'm listening to Re: SORTA-TMBG: Our own bands Re: SORTA-TMBG: Our own bands TMBG: Kids singing Particleman... NON-TMBG: Our own bands TMBG: What I listen to and our own bands Re: TMBG: What I listen to and our own bands NON-TMBG: re: What I listen to and our own bands Re: TMBG: What I listen to and our own bands TMBG: A plea to those who can play Tmbg's songs Re: NON-TMBG: Our own bands TMBG: What else Are you listening to? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KingoPuns@aol.com Message-ID: <2d.22b08ed.25f8a884@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 02:11:00 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-9 In a message dated 03/08/2000 11:07:03 PM Pacific Standard Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << Kansas >> YES!!!!! ^i^ Weez'L ^i^ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 02:08:13 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Semi-TMBG: What I'm listening to Message-ID: On Thu, 9 Mar 2000 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > << Arrogant Worms (4) >> > ahh!!!! Where can I get some of their stuff??? www.absound.ca . It is more than an online music store. It is a Force Of Good. What I'm listening to: Arrogant Worms Boiled In Lead Captain Tractor Da Vinci's Notebook (new album out!) Eddie From Ohio (everyone check them out; they rock hard) (or folk hard) Gaelic Storm (the superb first album, not the blecherous followup) Great Big Sea I don't even need to mention Fruvous, right? The Nields The Paperboys Spirit of the West (pre-_Faithlift_) Bands whose albums I've picked up and kinda liked include: the Tragically Hip (_Fully Completely_), Everything (_Super Natural_), Lowen & Navarro (_Walking On A Wire_). --nicole twn *** "Life ocassionally gets more complicated than 'Mary Had A Little Lamb'." --former artificial intelligence professor Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org carlsonn@seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 07:52:50 -0800 From: "Pzickler" Subject: Re: SORTA-TMBG: Our own bands We have our own song, and we wanna get it recorded. Can we do that? PZ ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 07:54:38 -0800 From: "Pzickler" Subject: Re: SORTA-TMBG: Our own bands >I was wondering how many others have bands and do they have similarities to >TMBG? I'm not an official member, but I've played with a band called Get Off The Stage (GOTS for short) with a decidedly TMBG-like sound. Well, sometimes. PZ ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: Kids singing Particleman... Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 12:56:46 -0500 Message-ID: Hey! I had asked this once before, but no one answered... I work in Buchanan Michigan, which happens to be the town where the little school kids were recorded singing "Particleman". I have three people working for me that remember singing that in school. I need to know (from the old newsletters) which school it was that the teacher recorded it at and any other details the article gave. (There are actually three grade schools in town, but they all shared the music teacher) If you have the old newsletters around, please take a quick look for me. I have searched through the site to no avail... Thanks, AugieWan ------------------------------ From: cambot@juno.com Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 17:42:47 -0500 Subject: NON-TMBG: Our own bands Message-ID: <20000309.174317.-304869.0.Cambot@juno.com> I'm in a band called "San Dimas High School Football Rules!!" & even though everyone in the band likes TMBG, we aren't very influenced by them (well, we were influenced by them to the point of coming up with a sound of our own - many bands do that, though). We haven't covered any of their songs, though one of our guitarists & i play Hearing Aid from time to time. As far as covers go, we try to stay away from them unless it's an old song or a TV Show theme. Our only cover is "It's My Party" by none other than Leslie Gore & we don't play it too often. Hopefully we'll have some songs up on mp3.com in the coming months so you can hear what we do. Think rock & roll music. cheers Steve! ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000309225635.84539.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian The Bold" Subject: TMBG: What I listen to and our own bands Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 17:56:35 EST I am an official fan of: Ben Folds Five Moxy Fruvous Guster (These guys are gonna be BIG soon) Phish Ben Lee Talking Heads Rusted Root (So sad that they are no more) John Linnell Mono Puff AND TMBG As far as our own bands go, I have a semi-TMBG influenced band, but we don't have a name. Some ideas we've come up with are: Naturally Flavored Crimson Potato Chip Now In Color Answer Man Mr. Bojangles Dr. Wango-Tango Sinister Minister Spanish Dubloons I'm open to suggestions. Lift that fork, eat that snail, Ian Power http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 15:00:33 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: What I listen to and our own bands Message-ID: <18321-38C82D11-1436@storefull-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> "Guster (These guys are gonna be BIG soon)" I totally agree! Guster is such an awesome band, and I'm so pleased to see that alot of you are listening to them. Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 15:36:29 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: NON-TMBG: re: What I listen to and our own bands I listen to so many bands it's not even funny. I'll tell you my favorites that I can think of right now - TMBG/John Linnell/Mono Puff, Stereolab, Olivia Tremor Control, Soul Coughing, Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, the Negro Problem, Beck, Ani DiFranco, the Flaming Lips, the Magnetic Fields, Bjork, Tori Amos, Smart Went Crazy, the Folk Implosion/John Davis, the Beatles, Cibo Matto/Butter 08/Jon Spencer Blues Explosion/R.E.M., and etc., and etc., and even more etc. As for my own bands, I have a musical website at http://www.mp3.com/trigger - I am Trigger Goldberg and I make music and stuff. I also have another band with a friend of mine called Mama Low (also at mp3.com), but we're currently at a bit of a standstill and we're switching directions and modes and tunes and etc. Anyway, Trigger Goldberg is pretty big among the TMBG Musings message board. Just thought I'd contribute my eight cents. Spencer. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 19:15:52 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: What I listen to and our own bands Message-ID: <20000309.191700.-202795.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > we don't > have a name. Some ideas we've come up with are: > > Sinister Minister alls i know is that is an awesome bela fleck song :D take it easy, special J np: Violent Femmes "Freak Magnet" <---awesome, go buy it! ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagh. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000310010502.15789.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ron Delaney" Subject: TMBG: A plea to those who can play Tmbg's songs Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 17:07:22 -0800 As a fellow accordian player i've been working on learning tmbg's songs. I've found some help at tmbg.org however this only lists the chords and not the inversions, i.e. 2nd or 3rd If anyone has this information for any of tmbg's songs please help me out by sending it to me, and if anyone needs the inversions for James Ensor I'd be more then happy to help you out. Thanks Everyone Ron [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000001bf8a3b$be070d60$bd0560d1@oemcomputer> From: "PAT J ACQUISTO" Subject: TMBG: What else Are you listening to? Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 04:20:09 -0600 I've been listening to: the pixies devo david byrne talking heads john linnell mono puff pavement blur tom waits butterfly joe brian dewan stereolab beck radiohead ween dead milkmen xtc the residents soul coughing frank black pere ubu mr. bungle nirvana six finger satellite skeleton key the muffs the ramones the amps that dog geraldine fibbers einsturzende nuebaten sonic youth the breeders the beatles jeremy enigk frank sinatra polvo rasputina spanish fly sex mob john zorn elastica king missile fantastic plastic machine meat puppets dukes of stratosphere david bowie the cocktails for quite some time. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #27-10 ******************************