Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #27-13 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 27, Number 13 Monday, 13 March 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg covers & other stuff TMBG: bowery shows Re: TMBG: bowery shows TMBG: Everything you know is wrong Re: NON-TMBG: FWD: GAS OUT TMBG: FA: 5 Rare Items - Flood Press Kit, Sensurround Promo CD, Lincoln Prom TMBG: Re: CD-RW? TMBG: Re: unsubscribe TMBG: Re: Internet Yellow Pages (Russian resources) non-TMBG: the Proclaimers Re: NON-TMBG: FWD: GAS OUT Re: TMBG: bowery shows Re: NON-TMBG: FWD: GAS OUT Re: NON-TMBG: FWD: GAS OUT Re: NON-TMBG: FWD: GAS OUT Re: NON-TMBG: FWD: GAS OUT Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <20000312133153.32853.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "jEsSiCa Schleiger" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg covers & other stuff Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 06:31:53 MST Hooorah! Glad other people think Veruca Salt kicks it! Also really dig the Pixies, too! and on other notes: "The Proclaimers: I have not met a single living soul who has heard any other song of theirs other than the 500 miles one! Come on, guys, somebody has to back me up on this band! I know there is at least one other person on this planet who likes them! I highly recommend This Is The Story if you find it before Sunshine on Leith. Those twins kick major ass!" I'll back you up.... Uh hem...I have had Sunshine on Leith since 1990, and my favorite track is "Cap in Hand"... so there you go, someone else has heard them!! Oh, and speaking of TMBG-- has anyone heard the word on when we can expect the kiddie album? has a date been set (more specific than 'sometime this year')? Thanks, jess(ica) **********INSERT CLEVER GENERIC QUOTE********** WARNING: Crummy ad for hotmail appears below. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38CBB42A.1AC3DB5E@earthlink.net> Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 10:13:47 -0500 From: Jennifer Gaboury Subject: TMBG: bowery shows not to (once again) rub it in to the non-new yawkers, but has anyone heard any details on the show themes for the bowery thursday series? flansy indicated on DAS that they'd be doing what they did w/ the last string (horns, old stuff, etcetera), Im looking to find out what's happening when as I have (so far) tix to three. the second thursday, april 20, is my 29th birthday and Im dragging a gaggle of friends to the show. now, if only they'd play kiss me son of god that night, I could die happy. rock on, folk family. - jen ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:39:46 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: bowery shows Message-ID: <20000312.134055.-185391.1.Garrett27@juno.com> >> not to (once again) rub it in to the non-new yawkers Hey, I actually don't mind this time since I'm gonna be going to New York over spring break and I've got tickets for the show on the 20th! Woohoo! Who else is planning on going? Garrett ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000601bf8c7e$6b032780$d0946420@cannon10> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Everything you know is wrong Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 15:55:15 -0800 I gave it another listen and its so true! There music break in the middle goes through a vast amount of tmbgness like sounds its great! I can't believe this has come up after all this time. I alos noticed a couple lines that may be snipped from other tmbg songs such as: "He took off his prostetic lips..." and "The floating disimbodied head of colonol sanders..." Sweet, Erich ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:07:36 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8ahb86$1q3t$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: FWD: GAS OUT That's more because of good relations with the "oil cartel" in America, and the tremendous expense of social programs in Europe. I don't know that America is really "spoiled" so much as we live in a different society where gas is cheaper for many reasons. How is this similar to the Revolutionary War? I think I missed the connection/reference/joke. Regards, Jose wrote in message news:13.228a60f.25f16e3c@aol.com... > I've learned in German Class in school that the European price for gas is > inredibly higher than ours. The people of the United States are just spoiled > by our lower gas prices and when they raise they throw a fuss...very similar > to the Revolutionary War... > > > ~^v^~ Amber, the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for > Eternity ~^v^~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <035301bf8c81$015e72a0$b3024f0c@davidlev> From: "vig" Subject: TMBG: FA: 5 Rare Items - Flood Press Kit, Sensurround Promo CD, Lincoln Promo CD Sampler, more.... Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:10:17 -0500 I have the following items available for auction on eBay: FLOOD PRESS KIT - 3 Awesome 8X10 B&W Photos + Bio http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=282092585 SENSURROUND - Rare 4 track Promo CD for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Movie incl. TMBG "Sensurround" http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=282092597 LINCOLN PROMO CD SAMPLER - 5 Track sampler incl. Hello Radio http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=282092575 FAN CLUB MAGAZINE 1991 - They Fall '91 cool early pics, news, more http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=282092559 THEN PROMO CD SAMPLER - 15 tracks in cool slide tray http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=282092545 All auctions end next Sunday, March 19th All items have pictures and descriptions on eBay. Thanks for looking David ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:34:06 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8ahcps$1qto$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: CD-RW? It would probably depend on what sort of CD-RW drive software your drive came with. HP's come with Adaptec (which requires you to turn files into .wav s), others come with MP3 direct software. Either way, you could use Nero to burn directly from .mp3, although I have heard mixed reviews of the performance of Nero. Regards, Jose wrote in message news:32.230b4fe.25fac26d@aol.com... > Okay, I know this has been discussed before, and I had the email saved...but > my computer crashed, and I lost all of my files!!!! Anyway, I bought a new > computer with a CD-RW drive in it, and I was wondering if anybody could tell > me how to record mp3s onto the CDs. I think I remember it involving > something like converting the files to wav, but I don't remember.... > I am going to go and try to find (and re-download) all the mp3s that I > lost when the computer crashed. :-( > > ~Kimberly > > Oh yeah, by the way..my husband (who is a TMBG hater) recently bought me Back > to Skull off of CDNow, and the other night he actually listened to James K. > Polk on our way to the grocery store. His reaction = "It's okay, but why do > they call him Napoleon of the whatever?" Am I starting to convert him????? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:13:26 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8ahbj4$1qcj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: unsubscribe YOU CAN'T! You're here forever!!! BWAHAHAHA! Actually, I don't know how to officially unsubscribe. I've got mine setup like a newsgroup in Outlook, so I would just right click on the group and click "Remove Account". If you have it set up as e-mail you probably have to write them or something. I think it tells you on the page where you signed up, as I recall. Regards, Jose tintin wrote in message news:003801bf87d3$adbda780$2f24893e@pbncomputer... > how do i unsubscribe from this list please?? > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:37:57 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8ahd13$1r4t$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Internet Yellow Pages (Russian resources) DAMN YOU VLAD! If I accidentally click this message one more time I'm going to shove my foot up your *** so many times.... Oh well - I'd report you if Russia had any controlling authority but it really isn't worth bothering with translating a complaint into Russian and trying to find some official willing to read it who will actually do something. If they did, however, rest assured I would cackle as they sent your butt to Siberia. Regards, Jose ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <200003130054.TAA03739@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: non-TMBG: the Proclaimers Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:54:36 -0500 (EST) > The Proclaimers: I have not met a single living soul who has heard > any other song of theirs other than the 500 miles one! [...] > I highly recommend This Is The Story if you find it before > Sunshine on Leith. Those twins kick major ass! I used to play a parts of Sunshine on Leath (and a lot of Pink and Lincoln!) pretty often when I worked at a radio station back around '89-'91. I liked some of the songs on Leath quite a bit, but the slow ballads pretty much left me cold. I've never listened to This Is The Story, though. I'll have to put that on my "to do" list. m@t ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <4d.2059c20.25fdaa2c@aol.com> Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:19:24 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: FWD: GAS OUT The people of the soon to be US were upset that the British raised their taxes, even though after the tax increase their taxes were the lowest of any part of the British Empire. Even though the money was going for protecting the colonies such as the French and Indian war, the colonist were still upset and revolted. ~^v^~ Amber, the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ~^v^~ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:39:03 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: bowery shows Message-ID: <20000312.214340.-249655.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > I've got tickets for the show on the 20th! > Woohoo! > Who else is planning on going? so as many of you know my dismal situation with cash and stuff, i wasn't planning on going... until i met a guy that bartends at the bowery last night and found out that he'd get me in free for at least two of the gigs. so yeeehaw, catch you kiddies at the first show :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:36:43 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8ahng9$21n3$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: FWD: GAS OUT I see the connection now. I still don't agree with your position (should you be taking up the position I glean from your two posts). Not to start up a nationality war, but the history books I read didn't quite put it that way. Last I recalled there was this whole "taxation without representation" cry. It seems that the unique position of the colonies (specifically their inability to participate within their own government) justifies their anger at increased taxation. Regards, Jose wrote in message news:4d.2059c20.25fdaa2c@aol.com... > The people of the soon to be US were upset that the British raised their > taxes, even though after the tax increase their taxes were the lowest of any > part of the British Empire. Even though the money was going for protecting > the colonies such as the French and Indian war, the colonist were still upset > and revolted. > > > ~^v^~ Amber, the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for > Eternity ~^v^~ ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <9b.286bf22.25fdbda8@aol.com> Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:42:32 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: FWD: GAS OUT Out of curiosity? what US history class did you take? I took AP American History and thats what we learned.... ~^v^~ Amber, the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ~^v^~ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 23:12:09 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8ahpit$231f$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: FWD: GAS OUT I took an AP American History course in high school, much like you. Not to mention I've spent a relatively large portion of my life exposed to the American political scene. I was taking some lingual license when I said that the books I read didn't read that way. I was referring to the spin you were putting upon history - presenting American colonists as cry babies and "spoiled". At least that seemed to be the position you were taking in your posts. Regards, Jose wrote in message news:9b.286bf22.25fdbda8@aol.com... > Out of curiosity? what US history class did you take? I took AP American > History and thats what we learned.... > > ~^v^~ Amber, the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for > Eternity ~^v^~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20000312231620.00959e40@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 23:19:09 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: FWD: GAS OUT I took AP American History as well, and apparently gas outs were not very common at the time. One of my free responses was about that. -Adam, who got *4* on the AP U.S. History exam in 1996. Yeah, that's right. A 4! Boo-yah! The great thing about history is you can usually b.s. your way through it, unlike Calculus. Actually, now that I think about it, I made up a lot of stuff in Economics, Government, and English too. At 11:12 PM 3/12/00 -0500, Jose wrote: >I took an AP American History course in high school, much like you. Not to >mention I've spent a relatively large portion of my life exposed to the >American political scene. I was taking some lingual license when I said >that the books I read didn't read that way. I was referring to the spin you >were putting upon history - presenting American colonists as cry babies and >"spoiled". At least that seemed to be the position you were taking in your >posts. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #27-13 ******************************