Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #27-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 27, Number 14 Tuesday, 14 March 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Subliminal and My Honda TMBG: RE: NON-TMBG WAY OFF TOPIC: GAS OUT TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences TMBG: Re: Everything you know is wrong Re: TMBG: Re: Everything you know is wrong TMBG: Bowery shows Semi-TMBG: Canada TMBG: Been on spring break Re: TMBG: Been on spring break TMBG: Dial -A- Song TMBG: Kitman: Manager, automotive author, muckraker Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <9d.2f006e5.25fdef0a@aol.com> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 02:13:14 EST Subject: TMBG: Subliminal and My Honda Good Evening... So, somewhat TMBG related...... I was driving my '89 Honda, 2 door hatchback, on the highway tonight, on the way to meet some friends for dinner. I'm crusin' along at a comfortable speed of 63ish mph and happily listening to a TMBG webcast recording of a Seattle show. Subliminal came up and just as the song got to..."As I went through the windshield," "IT" happened. Just at that moment, the guy in front of me, to my left, decided he was "uncomfortable" with his lane, and/or his traveling speed. Suddenly, he slammed on his breaks and veered in my lane. Without looking around me, I slammed on my breaks, cranked the wheel to the right. SOMEHOW, I ended up on an off ramp, facing the wrong direction. I managed to stop, without hitting anything or flipping my car over. Unfortunately, I wasn't close enough, LONG enough to get a license or make on the other car. Well, a little spooky, but there it is. And, BTW, my Honda....NOT for sale. :) -Kreadoubt, somewhat shaken up "As I went the windshield, I noticed something" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000313130220.95099.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "James Brown's Funk Foot" Subject: TMBG: RE: NON-TMBG WAY OFF TOPIC: GAS OUT Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:02:20 GMT As a note to the whole bit about gas prices being different in Europe and the United States, it's 100% true. I live in Germany, and Germans pay about 4 times as much for gas as Americans do. On the other hand, people in Saudi Arabia pay about $.01 for a gallon (or was that liter) of gas. By the way, I don't know if someone already posted this message, but here is the reason why the "gas out" is a complete hoax: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/gasout.htm In fact, snopes is a great place to check to shoot down all those people that send you chain letters, maybe you'll reduce the spam flood to your mailbox. Bjorky ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:37:26 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38CCFD26.E250280A@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences YES! (sorry, it took so long to respond. Been away on spring break) -A The Demonic Kangaroo wrote: > > That's right, I'm going for fifty in April. Jealous? :) > > -Mike > > Adrienne Spruill wrote in message > news:38BEACCE.7C0043B3@epix.net... > > You've seen TMBG 46 times! SHEESH! I've seen them twice in the past > > year. > > -A ------------------------------ From: surrealer@cfu.net Message-Id: <200003131448.IAA08749@enterprise.cfu.net> Subject: TMBG: Re: Everything you know is wrong Date: Mon, 13 Mar 100 14:48:24 GMT Eric Cannon wrote: > I gave it another listen and its so true! There music break in the middle > goes through a vast amount of tmbgness like sounds its great! I can't > believe this has come up after all this time. Actually, I remember this coming up right after Bad Hair Day came out. Does anyone else? -Sean * --------------------------------------------- This message was sent from the CFU POP3 Web Interface. This message is the property of the sender and is not affiliated with the Cedar Falls Utilities in any way. Report complaints to abuse@cfu.net. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20000313095533.00946f00@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:56:10 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Everything you know is wrong It's come up every couple of months since March '96 on this list and every few days on alt.music.tmbg. ;) -Adam At 02:48 PM 3/13/00 +0000, surrealer@cfu.net wrote: > Actually, I remember this coming up right after Bad Hair Day came > out. Does >anyone else? ------------------------------ From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:25:39 EST Subject: TMBG: Bowery shows Just one month until the shows!!! I own Ticket #1 to all four shows, and I may be thinking of putting the set of ticket stubs up for sale on EBay if any of you are interested. Also, the last show will be very close to John Flansburgh's 40th birthday, so I was curious about getting a birthday card for him, getting a ton of people at the May 4th show to sign it, and presenting it to him at the show. Your thoughts please. See you April 13th. - John ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200003131805.NAA47940@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:04:49 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Semi-TMBG: Canada Disclaimer: this post is very boring Just got back from spring break in Montreal (yes, Montreal) and I've got some (not really) interesting findings. The big cd store there is HMV. While I was looking around I noticed that there were no TMBG cd's in the alternative section. I had a newfound reason to dislike Canada until I found them in the rock section. The rock section? I said to myself - instead of alternative? Even more confusing was the presence of Moxy Fruvous in the rock section as opposed to alternative or even folk...just as a basis for comparison, STP and Metallica were in rock, while Bloodhound Gang and Blink 182 were considered alternative. I guess this goes back to the old recurring "what category" thread, but oh well...I guess I just don't see what their basis for classification is - I'm used to "rock/pop" covering pretty much everything except rap, country, and classical. P.S. We saw Stephen Baldwin at the same store. We told him how bad ass we consider Usual Suspects to be - he seemed appreciative :) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:37:28 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38CD5188.42A7BCB3@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Been on spring break So, I've been gone for a bit. After I came back there were over 100 posts on this list. I actually went through all of them. (I have far too much time on my hands) But I want to feel special and list the music that I listen to. Mono Puff Smashing Pumpkins Santana Matchbox 20 And any jazz There, I feel better now. -A ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:08:41 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Been on spring break Message-ID: <20000313.160903.-260795.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> this may be totally random... but all this talk of spring break reminded me of something... i'm heading down to virginia in a few days and i remember doing a trade with someone that went to James Madison U. If you're still on the list, can you email me? :P take it easy, special J http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/tmbgirl.geo/ ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003601bf8d40$6aa53ae0$42946420@cannon10> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Dial -A- Song Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:03:57 -0800 Hey Everybody! Dial a song says that we are getting our free mp3's today! Consequently dial a song is playing the very mp3 we will get which was slightly dissapointing and ruined the surprise but thats okay i guess. Also, is anyone else having trouble loading dialasong.com? when i go it just has a small white square on a dark grayish screen and it stops there... Erich ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:39:19 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: TMBG: Kitman: Manager, automotive author, muckraker [Jamie is Their manager.] The House of Butterflies By Russell Mokhiber and Robert Weissman Is there a prosecutor in this country with the guts to take on the oil and auto companies? If you are one such prosecuting attorney, and you are reading this, go out and buy the current issue of The Nation magazine. Rip out the 30-page investigative article titled "The Secret History of Lead," by Jamie Lincoln Kitman, drop in your standard indictment form, and then run down to the courthouse and file it. That will be the easy part. The companies will then hire the best white-collar crime law firms in the business and come after you with all of their resources to defeat the indictment. [...] Kitman's article is about how the makers of leaded gasoline -- duPont, General Motors, Standard Oil of New Jersey (now ExxonMobil), and Ethyl Corporation (which started out as a joint venture between GM and Standard Oil) -- systematically suppressed information about the severe health hazards of their product for decades. These companies knew from mid-1920s that leaded gasoline was a public health menace, yet they went ahead and put lead in gasoline anyway, to prevent engine knocking. This despite the fact that safe anti-knock substitutes were cheaply available. But the companies rejected them because they would be unprofitable. [...] _______________________________________________ Russell Mokhiber is editor of the Washington, D.C.-based Corporate Crime Reporter. Robert Weissman is editor of the Washington, D.C.-based Multinational Monitor. They are co-authors of Corporate Predators: The Hunt for MegaProfits and the Attack on Democracy (Monroe, Maine: Common Courage Press, 1999, http://www.corporatepredators.org) (c) Russell Mokhiber and Robert Weissman _______________________________________________ Focus on the Corporation is a weekly column written by Russell Mokhiber and Robert Weissman. Please feel free to forward the column to friends or repost the column on other lists. If you would like to post the column on a web site or publish it in print format, we ask that you first contact us (russell@essential.org or rob@essential.org). Focus on the Corporation is distributed to individuals on the listserve corp-focus@lists.essential.org. To subscribe to corp-focus, send an e-mail message to corp-focus-request@lists.essential.org with the text: subscribe Focus on the Corporation columns are posted at . Postings on corp-focus are limited to the columns. If you would like to comment on the columns, send a message to russell@essential.org or rob@essential.org. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #27-14 ******************************