Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #27-18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 27, Number 18 Saturday, 18 March 2000 Today's Topics: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out TMBG: Similarities and Remixes Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out Re: TMBG: Similarities and Remixes Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out TMBG: LTW Download Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:47:17 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38D26195.294BE730@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out Sorry, but I have to do this...Monday March 20 is the Great American Meat Out. It's similar to the Great American Smoke Out. Try going that one day without eating meat. Give the poor animals a break...please? Thanks. :o) -A ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <68.1e6fcdf.2603e342@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:36:34 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out Yeah, but if we weren't suppose to eat animals..why are they made of meat?! haha yeah that was really bad, I know. I'm ashamed of myself. ~^v^~ Amber, the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ~^v^~ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:02:58 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8au2pd$9pl$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out You must be kidding. You believe that your not eating of the "poor" animals gives them a break? The only reason that cows/chickens/pigs exist in number is because man protects them for purposes of food and nutrition. I don't know if you haven't noticed, but neither animal has much of a defense to work with in the wild. Regards, Jose Adrienne Spruill wrote in message <38D26195.294BE730@epix.net>... >Sorry, but I have to do this...Monday March 20 is the Great American >Meat Out. It's similar to the Great American Smoke Out. Try going that >one day without eating meat. Give the poor animals a break...please? >Thanks. :o) >-A ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <74.2119c29.2603f77a@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:02:50 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out In a message dated 3/17/00 11:45:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, spruilla@epix.net writes: << Sorry, but I have to do this...Monday March 20 is the Great American Meat Out. It's similar to the Great American Smoke Out. Try going that one day without eating meat. Give the poor animals a break...please? Thanks. :o) -A >> You're joking, right? "I'm the one who loves you! He's the angry one, with all the swear words!" Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:49:01 -0600 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <8au96m$da9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Similarities and Remixes Ok, this one is a two-parter: First off, has anybody else noticed unbelievable similarities in songs? Not lyrics, but music? Like for example, how "Hovering Sombrero" is practically "Hi, We're the Replacements" sans guitar? Secondly, what do you think of the remixes? Any opinions on what was done right/wrong? .sig line is not a .sig line, so you feel a bit insulted. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38D2AAE7.734B@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:19:23 -0500 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out Jose brings an excellent point. There is no point to "saving" the domesticated animals which we eat in mass quantities. The only reason that they exist in such numbers is because we eat them. Otherwise, they'd be pretty wimpy wild animals (most likely dinner for some other animal). So it might be a good idea not to run around eating wild, endangered species, but 'saving' the animals we normally eat by not eating them is quite silly. Does this mean we should "free" our house pets cause we keep them locked up inside all the time and deny them liberty and suffocate them to death with love? Yeah, there we go, let all the housecats of the world run free!! (Just for one day). -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:54:40 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Similarities and Remixes Message-ID: <27020-38D2B7B0-1584@storefull-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I totally know what you mean. I can't comment on the Hovering Sombrero/H,WTR connection, 'cause I haven't heard Hovering Sombrero. However, I do think that It's So Loud In Hear and 'Till My Head Falls Off sound alot alike. Does anyone else agree? I feel I may be alone on this one, but I hear alot of similiarities between to two. As far as remixes, they're okay. I really, really don't like Warren Rigg's mix of S~E~X~X~Y, though. However, I must say that Joshua Fried's remix of The World's Address is one of my favorite TMBG tracks. It's very cool. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 18:47:50 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38D2C426.DFE3972B@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out The reason that there are so many animals (such as cows/pigs etc.) is because farmers raise them. 200 years ago there weren't as many moo cows as there are today even though people eat them. I guess my point is that some animals are being born and raised only to be killed and that kind of bugs me. As for the animals being food for other animals, that doesn't bother me. That's the food chain, but humans don't hunt for their food, we go to the store for it. If it's a matter of life and death and you have to kill food in order to surrvive, that's fine. It all goes back to raising the animals to kill them. By the way, we don't eat cats and dogs, if you want to let them go, you do that, I'm talking about the animals we eat. What is with the thick layer of sarcasm from some of you? -A K.C. wrote: > > Jose brings an excellent point. There is no point to "saving" the > domesticated animals which we eat in mass quantities. The only reason > that they exist in such numbers is because we eat them. Otherwise, > they'd be pretty wimpy wild animals (most likely dinner for some other > animal). So it might be a good idea not to run around eating wild, > endangered species, but 'saving' the animals we normally eat by not > eating them is quite silly. Does this mean we should "free" our house > pets cause we keep them locked up inside all the time and deny them > liberty and suffocate them to death with love? Yeah, there we go, let > all the housecats of the world run free!! (Just for one day). > > -- > K.C. Kless > "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." > Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports > Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 > docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <33.294c5e6.2604374a@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 20:35:06 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out You bring u pan extremely good point! I love the whole Survival Of The Fittest thing... And I'm not being mean and sarcastic when I say this but 1) I would hunt if I could, and eat what I catch, but I can't, because I'm not allowed to and there is nowhere to. It's not my fault I like meat and it's a good big part of my diet. And 2) I AM giving them a break! I'm not eating them when they're still alive, like hyenas do. Yummm! ~Lydia Being a proud omnivore since 1837 > The reason that there are so many animals (such as cows/pigs etc.) is > because farmers raise them. 200 years ago there weren't as many moo cows > as there are today even though people eat them. I guess my point is that > some animals are being born and raised only to be killed and that kind > of bugs me. As for the animals being food for other animals, that > doesn't bother me. That's the food chain, but humans don't hunt for > their food, we go to the store for it. If it's a matter of life and > death and you have to kill food in order to surrvive, that's fine. It > all goes back to raising the animals to kill them. By the way, we don't > eat cats and dogs, if you want to let them go, you do that, I'm talking > about the animals we eat. > What is with the thick layer of sarcasm from some of you? > -A ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000318013657.46656.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian The Bold" Subject: TMBG: LTW Download Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 20:36:57 EST Hey- My computer recently crashed, and LTW went with it. I've since gone back to emusic.com to re-download, but every time I do, instead of saying "Saving Location" it says "Viewing Location." Does anyone know what is wrong? Lift that fork, eat that snail, Ian Power http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html PS- I say that if animals don't want to be eaten, they should rise up against farmers. Otherwise, pass the steak. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 21:10:11 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8auo9s$l26$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out Adrienne, I am fully aware of why there are so many moo cows on the planet. 200 years ago cows were raised for food, just like they are today. Personally, I don't share your ethical dilemma with eating cows, because I don't feel research is fully conclusive in the area of proper nutrition. A good number of the vegetarians I know are rather thin and sickly. I value the lives of people above those of animals because of human's unique ability to bring so much beauty to world, intelligence, creativity, and ability to act altruistically. What difference does it make why an animal is raised? Our other option is to let them into the wild, unless you know someone who wants the privilege of feeding a bunch of cows for the sole purpose of basking in their tremendous contentment. I doubt that the cows prefer being ripped to pieces over any other death, and I'm guessing most cows have better lives as a result of their lack of freedom. Not at all sarcastic, Jose Adrienne Spruill wrote in message <38D2C426.DFE3972B@epix.net>... >The reason that there are so many animals (such as cows/pigs etc.) is >because farmers raise them. 200 years ago there weren't as many moo cows >as there are today even though people eat them. I guess my point is that >some animals are being born and raised only to be killed and that kind >of bugs me. As for the animals being food for other animals, that >doesn't bother me. That's the food chain, but humans don't hunt for >their food, we go to the store for it. If it's a matter of life and >death and you have to kill food in order to surrvive, that's fine. It >all goes back to raising the animals to kill them. By the way, we don't >eat cats and dogs, if you want to let them go, you do that, I'm talking >about the animals we eat. >What is with the thick layer of sarcasm from some of you? >-A > >K.C. wrote: >> >> Jose brings an excellent point. There is no point to "saving" the >> domesticated animals which we eat in mass quantities. The only reason >> that they exist in such numbers is because we eat them. Otherwise, >> they'd be pretty wimpy wild animals (most likely dinner for some other >> animal). So it might be a good idea not to run around eating wild, >> endangered species, but 'saving' the animals we normally eat by not >> eating them is quite silly. Does this mean we should "free" our house >> pets cause we keep them locked up inside all the time and deny them >> liberty and suffocate them to death with love? Yeah, there we go, let >> all the housecats of the world run free!! (Just for one day). >> >> -- >> K.C. Kless >> "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." >> Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports >> Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 >> docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38D2EE82.2EA1@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 21:48:34 -0500 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out This whole "Meat Out" debate sparks my memory about PeTA's little spiel on beer v. milk. A brilliant attempt to appeal to college students, but it doesn't seem to be changing anything. Oh yeah, here's an alternative view. As far as not 'hunting' for our food, humans do. We just have an efficient raising, grooming, fattening, and choosing process in place which other 'predators' lack in their hunting techniques. 'Hunting' doesn't have to be limited to the traditional view of a "hunter." If wild animals end up serving as fodder for other animals, why are they being born and raised other than to feed others? -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ From: sirubberduckie@themail.com Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:31:00 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <200003180331.WAA87113@eperke.themail.com> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Great American Meat Out What about all the poor plants out there??? I can't even sleep at night thinking about all the poor... well, you get the point. I'm having a Great American Vegetable Out on March 19, so I'd appreciate it if you all joined me. Thanks. RS __________________________________________________________________ Make A Buck Or Two @ TheMail.com - Free Internet Email Sign-up today at http://www.themail.com/ref.htm?ref=141417 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #27-18 ******************************