Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #27-2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 27, Number 2 Thursday, 2 March 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-1 TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-1 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-1 TMBG: My TMBG Experiences TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences Re: SortaTMBG: The Moxy Connection? TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences Re: TMBG: Their High School Shows Re: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences Re: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences TMBG: Rob Plass' TMBG site Re: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences TMBG: Hello Everyone TMBG: Thieving Rats at Concerts TMBG: Freaking out the Johns Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Message-ID: <4c.24803b8.25ee20cf@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 02:29:19 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-1 In a message dated 3/1/00 7:06:14 AM, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: <> oh no... its 2:30am and i think im going to cry... please, if you can (and you usualy can), find a copy of Live At La Bonboniere which is the REAL candy butchers, not that fake 4 piece thats trying to pass itself off as the candy butchers lately in the same way as Lincoln is the REAL tmbg and factory showroom is just a pale, albeit rather pretty, shadow tho it would serve them right for making a dumb album, you shouldn't give up on 'em just yet... they still believe in rock n' roll ~liz and so do i ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 03:15:00 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <200003010815.DAA45687@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: <3a.1f4be35.25ee7fae@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:14:06 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-1 I'm sorry, drinking out of the same coffee cup as John Linnell is just disgusting. Getting a set list is one thing, but their coffee? Blech. Oh, BTW, You Were Spiraling plays at Brownie's in NYC tonight at 9:30. Also, Loser's Lounge tribute to Queen this weekend, Friday night, and Saturday night (2 shows) See you there. - John ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <3c.1899e4e.25ee93f5@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 10:40:37 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-1 I have to agree with John here...admiring someone's work so much that you want to get as much memoribilia as possible is understandable, but saving personal items like cups, utensils, etc. borders on sick obsession. Kay ------------------------------ From: "Chris Ingalls" Message-Id: Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 10:35:43 -0500 Subject: TMBG: My TMBG Experiences WARNING...THIS IS A LONG POST... Recently someone posted something to the effect that we've run out of things to say on the list. I'd like to suggest a possible thread...hopefully it hasn't been done in a while. Does anyone have interesting stories relating to their first TMBG concert experiences, or perhaps a story related to meeting the band themselves? I have one of each, and if anyone else has something similar to share, I say go for it. In the meantime.. First of all, my only TMBG concert experience was in May 1993, when they played a benefit concert at Lincoln-Sudbury High School in Massachusetts (their "alma mater"). I was living in Iceland at the time (I used to be in the Navy) and I went home to Boston to spend some time with my family. A friend of the family happened to work at LSHS at the time (talk about coincidences!) and she scored tickets for my (now ex-)wife and I, as well as four of my friends. We got lost and ended up getting there just as the show was to begin. Some female high school student (perhaps the senior class president) enthusiastically introduced the band and they hit the stage. Considering the fact that it was a high school auditorium, the sound quality was amazingly good. Flans kept making references in between songs to the fact that it was an extremely surreal experience for them to be playing at their old school. The crowd was very very enthusiastic, and I noticed what appeared to be several lot of faculty members in the audience (including a seventy-something female teacher who was wearing a TMBG t-shirt!). The teachers seemed to be enjoying the show, not grimacing and covering their ears like in the movies. I remember Linnell dedicated "Mammal" to the Science Department. The only "controversial" moment of the show was when an audience member was crowd-surfing and Flans had to tell them that it was not permissible to play "pass the dude" at this particular venue (saying something like "I hate to sound like your parents, but-"). A spectacular show overall. My actual "meeting" with TMBG took place almost two years later. In February 1995 I was living in Virginia, working as a videotape editor at a TV station in Norfolk. Our station produced a weekly MTV-ish local arts/entertainment show called "Buz TV" and occasionally there would be musical guests (in town on tour stopovers) popping by for interviews and a quickie "Unplugged" set that would air over the closing credits. When I heard that TMBG would be interviewed on a Saturday afternoon, I headed over there in teenybopper fanboy mode in the hopes of meeting the Johns. My wife was out of town and for lack of a babysitter I ended up bringing my two-year-old daughter along, which turned out to be a blessing, since her presence really went over well. I met John and John on the set while their "roadies" were setting up the gear for their little set. They asked our entertainment reporter if they could get some coffee, to which I piped in, "I can get that for you!" As we were making our way to the newsroom coffee machine, I told them how much of a fan I was. We chatted about music and stuff (it's all kind of hazy to me right now exactly WHAT was discussed-I was sort of on Cloud Nine, y'understand). I remember that there were just a couple of available clean coffee mugs available, and one of them said "I (Heart) My Bad-Ass Attitude." They got a kick out of that one, perhaps because it was so cheesy. Anyway, after the java break, we headed back to the set, where they started tuning up. They still hadn't decided what song to play. They started messing around with "Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love" (I was swooning at this point), and finally decided on "Unrelated Thing" and "Meet James Ensor" (the latter is what made it on the air). I remember Flans off to the side of the set, strumming aimlessly as the crew was setting up, and at one point he gave a pick to Audrey (my daughter) and had her strum while he was working his right hand on the frets. Wow-my daughter was jamming (sort of) with TMBG! It was truly awesome. Anyway, as they were packing up to leave, I asked them to sign my copy of "Lincoln," which they did (they addressed it to Audrey). I also got one of Flans' custom picks out of the deal. The thing that really struck me about the whole experience was how very human and "un-rock star" these guys are. They were just a couple of regular guys (which really didn't surprise me, actually). I know that talking about this experience may come off as bragging, but I just wanted to share that with the list. It was a very exciting time and I'll always remember it. Okay, that's enough swooning for now. I have to get back to work. Chris Try SparkNotes.com! Because Cliffs Notes(tm) cost money! (Cliffs Notes is a registered trademark for Cliffs Notes, Inc.) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 12:39:50 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <89jkdp$m2d$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences My first ever TMBG concert was last year (OK, I'm a newbie) at Otterbein College in Westerville, Ohio. A group of my friends and I drove after we got out of class at BGSU (in Toledo, Ohio) with just enough time to get lost and make it to the show as TMBG was about to come on. Although the sound system was sort of hazy, the Johns made up for it with enthusiasm. The highlight of the evening was when John Flansburgh yelled at our group. During the congo line a bunch of people started congo-ing over our coats (right over the top, how rude) and one of my friends got mad and started yelling at them. They were doing their "Everybody congo - I'm not f-ing kidding" routine when Flans looked at my friend and I (I swear he did) and shouted "ANGRY PEOPLE CONGO!" Although it was probably not directed at us, my friend to this day claims that John Flansburgh yelled at him. Anyway, the concert made me a pretty hardcore fan and I've been trying to see them again ever since. If my stupid school hadn't cancelled TMBG last year at BGSU .... grrr... don't get me started on that. Regards, Jose Chris Ingalls wrote in message news:A28DF2CDE6FE3D11781200807CFB3248@big-swifty.thespark.com... > WARNING...THIS IS A LONG POST... > > Recently someone posted something to the effect that we've run out of things to say on the > list. I'd like to suggest a possible thread...hopefully it hasn't been done in a while. Does > anyone have interesting stories relating to their first TMBG concert experiences, or perhaps a > story related to meeting the band themselves? I have one of each, and if anyone else has > something similar to share, I say go for it. In the meantime.. > > First of all, my only TMBG concert experience was in May 1993, when they played a benefit > concert at Lincoln-Sudbury High School in Massachusetts (their "alma mater"). I was living in > Iceland at the time (I used to be in the Navy) and I went home to Boston to spend some time > with my family. A friend of the family happened to work at LSHS at the time (talk about > coincidences!) and she scored tickets for my (now ex-)wife and I, as well as four of my > friends. We got lost and ended up getting there just as the show was to begin. Some female > high school student (perhaps the senior class president) enthusiastically introduced the band > and they hit the stage. Considering the fact that it was a high school auditorium, the sound > quality was amazingly good. Flans kept making references in between songs to the fact that > it was an extremely surreal experience for them to be playing at their old school. The crowd > was very very enthusiastic, and I noticed what appeared to be several lot of faculty members > in the audience (including a seventy-something female teacher who was wearing a TMBG > t-shirt!). The teachers seemed to be enjoying the show, not grimacing and covering their > ears like in the movies. I remember Linnell dedicated "Mammal" to the Science Department. > The only "controversial" moment of the show was when an audience member was > crowd-surfing and Flans had to tell them that it was not permissible to play "pass the dude" at > this particular venue (saying something like "I hate to sound like your parents, but."). A > spectacular show overall. > > My actual "meeting" with TMBG took place almost two years later. In February 1995 I was > living in Virginia, working as a videotape editor at a TV station in Norfolk. Our station produced > a weekly MTV-ish local arts/entertainment show called "Buz TV" and occasionally there > would be musical guests (in town on tour stopovers) popping by for interviews and a quickie > "Unplugged" set that would air over the closing credits. When I heard that TMBG would be > interviewed on a Saturday afternoon, I headed over there in teenybopper fanboy mode in the > hopes of meeting the Johns. My wife was out of town and for lack of a babysitter I ended up > bringing my two-year-old daughter along, which turned out to be a blessing, since her > presence really went over well. I met John and John on the set while their "roadies" were > setting up the gear for their little set. They asked our entertainment reporter if they could get > some coffee, to which I piped in, "I can get that for you!" As we were making our way to the > newsroom coffee machine, I told them how much of a fan I was. We chatted about music and > stuff (it's all kind of hazy to me right now exactly WHAT was discussed.I was sort of on > Cloud Nine, y'understand). I remember that there were just a couple of available clean coffee > mugs available, and one of them said "I (Heart) My Bad-Ass Attitude." They got a kick out of > that one, perhaps because it was so cheesy. Anyway, after the java break, we headed back > to the set, where they started tuning up. They still hadn't decided what song to play. They > started messing around with "Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love" (I was swooning at this point), > and finally decided on "Unrelated Thing" and "Meet James Ensor" (the latter is what made it > on the air). I remember Flans off to the side of the set, strumming aimlessly as the crew was > setting up, and at one point he gave a pick to Audrey (my daughter) and had her strum while > he was working his right hand on the frets. Wow.my daughter was jamming (sort of) with > TMBG! It was truly awesome. Anyway, as they were packing up to leave, I asked them to > sign my copy of "Lincoln," which they did (they addressed it to Audrey). I also got one of > Flans' custom picks out of the deal. The thing that really struck me about the whole > experience was how very human and "un-rock star" these guys are. They were just a couple > of regular guys (which really didn't surprise me, actually). I know that talking about this > experience may come off as bragging, but I just wanted to share that with the list. It was a > very exciting time and I'll always remember it. > > Okay, that's enough swooning for now. I have to get back to work. > > Chris > > > Try SparkNotes.com! Because Cliffs Notes(tm) cost money! > (Cliffs Notes is a registered trademark for Cliffs Notes, Inc.) ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 13:37:43 EST Subject: Re: SortaTMBG: The Moxy Connection? You have to admit, it's a cute little word ;) dream_stage@hotmail.com writes: > Come to > think of it, does anyone know the origin of the apparant obsession with that > word? Lydia Hello 1837! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 13:58:59 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38BD6873.41E0332D@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences Ummmm...I found my way to a concert more than 3 hours from my hometown in anther state but stupidly left the headlights to my car on and had a dead battery when I got out. I didn't know how I was going to get home. That's not really interesting, just retarded. Oh well. -A Chris Ingalls wrote: > > WARNING...THIS IS A LONG POST... > > Recently someone posted something to the effect that we've run out of things to say on the > list. I'd like to suggest a possible thread...hopefully it hasn't been done in a while. Does > anyone have interesting stories relating to their first TMBG concert experiences, or perhaps a > story related to meeting the band themselves? I have one of each, and if anyone else has > something similar to share, I say go for it. In the meantime.. > > First of all, my only TMBG concert experience was in May 1993, when they played a benefit > concert at Lincoln-Sudbury High School in Massachusetts (their "alma mater"). I was living in > Iceland at the time (I used to be in the Navy) and I went home to Boston to spend some time > with my family. A friend of the family happened to work at LSHS at the time (talk about > coincidences!) and she scored tickets for my (now ex-)wife and I, as well as four of my > friends. We got lost and ended up getting there just as the show was to begin. Some female > high school student (perhaps the senior class president) enthusiastically introduced the band > and they hit the stage. Considering the fact that it was a high school auditorium, the sound > quality was amazingly good. Flans kept making references in between songs to the fact that > it was an extremely surreal experience for them to be playing at their old school. The crowd > was very very enthusiastic, and I noticed what appeared to be several lot of faculty members > in the audience (including a seventy-something female teacher who was wearing a TMBG > t-shirt!). The teachers seemed to be enjoying the show, not grimacing and covering their > ears like in the movies. I remember Linnell dedicated "Mammal" to the Science Department. > The only "controversial" moment of the show was when an audience member was > crowd-surfing and Flans had to tell them that it was not permissible to play "pass the dude" at > this particular venue (saying something like "I hate to sound like your parents, but-"). A > spectacular show overall. > > My actual "meeting" with TMBG took place almost two years later. In February 1995 I was > living in Virginia, working as a videotape editor at a TV station in Norfolk. Our station produced > a weekly MTV-ish local arts/entertainment show called "Buz TV" and occasionally there > would be musical guests (in town on tour stopovers) popping by for interviews and a quickie > "Unplugged" set that would air over the closing credits. When I heard that TMBG would be > interviewed on a Saturday afternoon, I headed over there in teenybopper fanboy mode in the > hopes of meeting the Johns. My wife was out of town and for lack of a babysitter I ended up > bringing my two-year-old daughter along, which turned out to be a blessing, since her > presence really went over well. I met John and John on the set while their "roadies" were > setting up the gear for their little set. They asked our entertainment reporter if they could get > some coffee, to which I piped in, "I can get that for you!" As we were making our way to the > newsroom coffee machine, I told them how much of a fan I was. We chatted about music and > stuff (it's all kind of hazy to me right now exactly WHAT was discussed-I was sort of on > Cloud Nine, y'understand). I remember that there were just a couple of available clean coffee > mugs available, and one of them said "I (Heart) My Bad-Ass Attitude." They got a kick out of > that one, perhaps because it was so cheesy. Anyway, after the java break, we headed back > to the set, where they started tuning up. They still hadn't decided what song to play. They > started messing around with "Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love" (I was swooning at this point), > and finally decided on "Unrelated Thing" and "Meet James Ensor" (the latter is what made it > on the air). I remember Flans off to the side of the set, strumming aimlessly as the crew was > setting up, and at one point he gave a pick to Audrey (my daughter) and had her strum while > he was working his right hand on the frets. Wow-my daughter was jamming (sort of) with > TMBG! It was truly awesome. Anyway, as they were packing up to leave, I asked them to > sign my copy of "Lincoln," which they did (they addressed it to Audrey). I also got one of > Flans' custom picks out of the deal. The thing that really struck me about the whole > experience was how very human and "un-rock star" these guys are. They were just a couple > of regular guys (which really didn't surprise me, actually). I know that talking about this > experience may come off as bragging, but I just wanted to share that with the list. It was a > very exciting time and I'll always remember it. > > Okay, that's enough swooning for now. I have to get back to work. > > Chris > > Try SparkNotes.com! Because Cliffs Notes(tm) cost money! > (Cliffs Notes is a registered trademark for Cliffs Notes, Inc.) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 14:10:40 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38BD6B30.64A9B38C@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences Chris, Hot damn! I read your entire e-mail about meeting the Johns and such, but I noticed at the end of your e-mail there was an add for SparkNotes.com and something about it being better because Cliffs Notes cost money. DUDE!!!! I'm an English education major and I try to keep an eye out for things that might be useful in my future classroom including Cliffs Notes. Now I don't need to break my wallet anymore. Not only that, but I have a project to do this semester where I have to teach ways to make Shakespeare easier to read, a good place to bring in Cliffs Notes. But I went this this web site and it's great! I'm going to use it in my project. Heehee...you just helped me get a better grade. :o) Thanks!! -A ------------------------------ From: "Chris Ingalls" Message-Id: <225AFDECD8FE3D11781200807CFB3248@big-swifty.thespark.com> Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 17:10:38 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Their High School Shows I believe the benefit was for some local AIDS organization, and a major incentive for the band to do the show was that it was supposedly being done in the name of a fellow LSHS student who passed away from AIDS. I'm pretty sure the guy was James McIntyre (the guy they dedicated their debut album to). He was a local writer/journalist in the Boston area for a whlie (he wrote for the Boston Phoenix, maybe...that rings a bell somewhere). I'm about 85 percent sure of this information, so if any of it is inaccurate, I apologize. - Chris Try SparkNotes.com! Because Cliffs Notes(tm) cost money! (Cliffs Notes is a registered trademark for Cliffs Notes, Inc.) ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 17:13:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences I've been a TMBG fan for ten frickin years, but never seen a concert. We need to get them to Cleveland, somehow (I'm not ruling out hypnotism here) so I can see them! And please, please somewhere that a 14 year old can go. (Maybe while we're at it, we could get them to MOVE here!) "Don't fall for it! Don't fall for it! I'm the one who loves you! He's the ang ry one, with all the swear words!" Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 18:13:54 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <89k80c$1276$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences You've been a TMBG fan since you were four? Wow. I am in awe of your early good taste in music. Why didn't you hit the Oberlin Concert? That can't have been more than 30 minutes from Cleveland. Regards, Jose wrote in message news:c5.267adf0.25eef00c@aol.com... > I've been a TMBG fan for ten frickin years, but never seen a concert. We need > to get them to Cleveland, somehow (I'm not ruling out hypnotism here) so I > can see them! And please, please somewhere that a 14 year old can go. (Maybe > while we're at it, we could get them to MOVE here!) > > "Don't fall for it! Don't fall for it! I'm the one who loves you! He's the ang > ry one, with all the swear words!" > Dr. Rick Worm > Chief of Surgical Staff > The Worm Clinic > Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002f01bf83d5$fd514e20$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Rob Plass' TMBG site Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 18:29:26 -0500 Organization: Marymount College Does anyone have the URL for our favorite stalker Rob Plass' website? I had my desktop set from a picture there and accidently unset it... any help would be lovely birdh0use ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38BD726B.1474F05B@osu.edu> Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 19:41:33 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com wrote: > I've been a TMBG fan for ten frickin years, but never seen a concert. We need > to get them to Cleveland, somehow (I'm not ruling out hypnotism here) so I > can see them! And please, please somewhere that a 14 year old can go. (Maybe > while we're at it, we could get them to MOVE here!) Hey, I'm from Cleveland and I've seem them 11 times in the past 3 years!! Ok, so only once or twice I actually saw them in Cleveland, but they've been within a 3 hour drive of Cleveland many times...understandable, though...being a 14 year old and not necessarily having the means to get there. I do wish they'd come to Ohio again. I need my TMBG fix! It's pretty cool that you've liked them since you were 4. I spent the first 17 years of my life oblivious to TMBG. Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000302024057.26599.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ron Delaney" Subject: TMBG: Hello Everyone Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 18:43:02 -0800 Just signed up this evening, and i'd like to start by attempting to get help. I've recently begun to play the accordian, I've since learned James ENsor and other various songs. I'd like to learn another tmbg song but havn't any clue which i should learn. Any suggestions? Also, as a beginer I had a hard time figuring out the inversions to the chords I got off of tmbg.org, if you recomend a song please help me with the chord inversions also, for it took me a while to figure out. Thanks Everyone Ron [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] On Thursday, April 20, 1939, Kaylum@aol.com wrote: >I have to agree with John here...admiring someone's work so much >that you want to get as much memoribilia as possible is >understandable, but saving personal items like cups, utensils, >etc. borders on sick obsession. > >Kay > The thing that bothers me about it is that most of these items are taken from the stage. None of us has the right to grab stuff from the stage. I can't imagine someone idolizing them so much that they are compelled to drink from their water bottle or coffee cup and yet have so little respect for them that they swipe things from their personal space. Furthermore, if you have taken stuff from the stage, the Johns HATE you. I've seen Flansburgh berate people for doing that. (I suppose if its taken AFTER the show and it's clearly TRASH like a PAPER cup its not so bad but stealing a coffee cup or towel isn't right.) Sorry to so blunt but they way I put it is nothing compared to the foul-mouthed rage Flansburgh would unleash on you if he caught you. -B O N G O From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Mar 1 23:35:10 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id XAA46354 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 1 Mar 2000 23:35:10 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from m2.boston.juno.com (m2.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.199]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id XAA46345 for ; Wed, 1 Mar 2000 23:35:09 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from garrett27@juno.com) From: garrett27@juno.com Received: from cookie.juno.com by cookie.juno.com for <"FaRWUyoF5LEnJI9JRj2QIsFn4a54HC9jIA/K/UXuiqxLPww6LE6TAg=="> Received: (from garrett27@juno.com) by m2.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id EZ5KF5UF; Wed, 01 Mar 2000 22:50:14 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 20:00:17 -0800 Subject: TMBG: Freaking out the Johns Message-ID: <20000301.200021.-219375.0.Garrett27@juno.com> X-Mailer: Juno 4.0.5 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 2-3,19-20,26-31 X-Juno-Att: 0 X-Juno-RefParts: 0 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: garrett27@juno.com Hey, I thought that weird souvenir thread was really cool, so I've got a similar question. Has anyone here successfully freaked out one of the Johns? Or at least made them afraid of you in some way? It's kinda been on my mind since at the State Songs show at the Troubadour, I think I made Linnell think I was some kinda freak who was trying to look like him, it seemed rather awkward when I got his autograph on part of my accordion after the show. Some guy came up to me after the show and said "Hey, you're that guy in the t-shirt that looks like John!" and a woman also started talking to me as if I was John. I was directly in front of him during the show whenever he used his accordion instead of keyboard, so I wonder if he thought I'm some psycho fan, or if something was mentioned between the people still hanging around after I left. I really hope John doesn't want to completely avoid me like the plague. I got all paranoid, thinking he was talking so long in the upstairs hall because he was waiting for me to leave. Maybe he didn't even think about it though since I don't look so much like him and he knows what he looks like and didn't think I looked like him. This isn't really considered freaking out the Johns, but just making them want to avoid me. Since I was only 16 when TMBG were at the House of Blues (21+ for this show) here I wanted to carry my accordion and see if I could get in the back, posing as John...then I figured it was too risky, especially since I was only 16 and the lighting might have been good enough to tell. Plus John and John would probably get some kinda restraining order against me for trying. That would suck. Garrett Liggett ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #27-2 *****************************