Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #27-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 27, Number 21 Tuesday, 21 March 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: DAS.com TMBG: Re: DAS.com TMBG: We can't go on MEATING like this TMBG: (OT) The last meat post (assuming I'm not attacked unreasonably) TMBG: Re: (OT) The last meat post (assuming I'm not attacked unreasonably) TMBG: Meat Out Re: TMBG:Cyclops Rock TMBG: Re: Cambridge Show? TMBG: Re: Cambridge Show? TMBG: Chicken Meat-Out Re:TMBG: We can't go on MEATING like this. TMBG: The whole Meat-Out thing... Re: TMBG: The whole Meat-Out thing... Re: TMBG: The whole Meat-Out thing... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 22:52:38 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8b4j8h$432$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: DAS.com You should be able to just click on the target. I know the page requires Macromedia Flash (4 I think) and it works on I.E. 4.5 and above. You aren't missing much, however, as all of the songs are set to play tooooo sloooooow. I would use dialpad to call in to the real das, or download the mp3s from twistid's site at http://www.twistid.com. Regards, Jose CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com wrote in message <4d.2358a63.2606f569@aol.com>... ><< AAHHH! How do I get past the odd jack in the box dude?!? >> >Never mind, I guess I don't. Computer's too slow. > >"I make it a point to listen to TMBG every day, if I don't it's a sin." >Dr. Rick Worm >Chief of Surgical Staff >The Worm Clinic >Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ Date: 20 Mar 2000 08:04:15 -0000 Message-ID: <20000320080415.8121.qmail@musone.chek.com> From: "Shaun Peck" Subject: TMBG: Re: DAS.com >AAHHH! How do I get past the odd jack in the box dude?!? Click on the little target thing and the dude will start turning the handle and play a song. Click on the target again and he'll stop. Click on the bowtie and then click on the target again and he'll play a different song this time. There should be several on hand to listen to. It's kind of an annoying way to browse through the song list. Hope that helped! makebase@tmbg.org -- IM screenname makebase Signup for your FREE Houston Astros Fan E-Mail account at http://www.astrosfan.net! ------------------------------ From: cordelia@stayfree.co.uk Message-Id: <4.1.20000320094243.00952ce0@pop3.stayfree.co.uk> Message-Id: <4.1.20000320094243.00952ce0@pop3.stayfree.co.uk> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:40:22 +0000 Subject: TMBG: We can't go on MEATING like this Hello Jose, >>You missed all my points!...... > Your point was that A) There were atrocities occurring in the meat and >dairy industry against animals. B) As ethical beings, we have an obligation >to raise awareness about these atrocities. C) The Meat Out is a good idea >because it raises awareness about the issue. That was someone else's mail. I know little of this "Meat Out" of which you speak and I didn't make any of those points. See. >...swimming with personal bias, anger, and mischaracterizations. Angry? Moi? I put in some jokes didn't I? What more do you want? >>...the lack of autonomy comes from the fact that cows require humans >to protect them. So presumably you want to eat babies too? > We can presuppose that cows don't like to be eaten. I will further >grant that plants don't care, although there is reasonable evidence that >chemical reactions resembling pain do exist in the plant world. More >centrally, the cow doesn't know that it will be eaten (I assume), it just >doesn't like pain. There are a lot of questions I have as to consideration >of pain caused versus pleasure/nutrition enjoyed. I take a relatively >utilitarian stance on the issue. I don't think it is rational to discuss it >solely in terms of "The cow doesn't like pain. I can't eat the cow because >it will cause pain." That's still an argument for eating babies - as long as we take them by surprise when we come for them with the big knives. > It is unfair to assume that I don't understand what your saying because >I disagree. I think I have a good understanding of your argument. The >arguments presented to me so far haven't been all that complex, Al. I would >urge you to avoid ad homonym in favor of defending your point. Attacking me >and not my position serves to make you look childish, in my opinion. Well, I don't really KNOW what you understand. What I suspect is that you like eating dead animals, but don't want to think you're doing anything wrong, and have come up with all these laughably spurious arguments to try and justify it. Just admit that you like meat - its legal, lots of other people do it, they can't touch you for it. And there's nothing complex about what I'm saying, that's true. Just don't call me "Al" or I'll cut your liver out. That was a joke. Pull yourself together man, what would I want with your liver for god's sake? Alan Jenkins xxxx By the way, I'm about to go on holiday for a week but will be happy to carry on embarrassing the list with streams of childish insults when I get back. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:11:31 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8b5bba$bnn$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: (OT) The last meat post (assuming I'm not attacked unreasonably) Alan, >That was someone else's mail. I know little of this "Meat Out" of which you >speak and I didn't make any of those points. See. > You're absolutely right. I confused your mail with someone else's and apologize. On rereading your message, the only point was to poke at an argument from the sidelines and offer no actual argument of your own, that is, abuse the thoughts of others. >Angry? Moi? I put in some jokes didn't I? What more do you want? > I want you not to be unreasonably unbiased and open-minded, a surprisingly difficult task for certain people I could name. If you wish to demonize the rest of mankind that eats meat then the discussion is pointless, as you've made up your mind and closed it. >>>...the lack of autonomy comes from the fact that cows require humans >>to protect them. > >So presumably you want to eat babies too? > No, presumably babies have less autonomy and have less freedom because of such. >That's still an argument for eating babies - as long as we take them by >surprise when we come for them with the big knives. > No, it isn't. Humans bear a special role in morality under the system of most people. Personally, I hold people on the highest rung of a hierarchy which I described in an earlier post, based upon several characteristics which I believe are beneficial to the universe. It is standard for angry vegetarians (such as yourself) to misclassify this as "specism" as it brings up negative connotations due to the words "sexism" and "racism". >Well, I don't really KNOW what you understand. What I suspect is that you like >eating dead animals, but don't want to think you're doing anything wrong, and >have come up with all these laughably spurious arguments to try and justify it. >Just admit that you like meat - its legal, lots of other people do it, they >can't touch you for it. > No, you're right. You have no idea what I understand and you never will. You are too busy yelling about how you already know every argument for and against vegetarianism. I don't think it much hurts/helps my position to discuss my meat preferences, but it is something you insist upon bringing up in hopes of exploring my bias on the issue. I choose not to eat red meat. I choose to eat chicken, fish, and sometimes pork. And you're right - I don't think there is anything wrong with it, otherwise I wouldn't do it (basically the definition of a person living ethically). I challenge anyone to make an argument which doesn't have holes in it over e-mail. It is difficult and there are tremendous time constraints for most of us. You haven't offered me a single argument in favor of vegetarianism, yet have declared yourself a winner. >And there's nothing complex about what I'm saying, that's true. Just don't call >me "Al" or I'll cut your liver out. > Sorry Al. >That was a joke. > It wasn't funny. >Pull yourself together man, what would I want with your liver for god's sake? > You're still not that funny. Even if I imagine a funny voice saying it. >By the way, I'm about to go on holiday for a week but will be happy to carry on >embarrassing the list with streams of childish insults when I get back. > I'm sure you would be. If you have any reply direct it to my personal e-mail account at tclose@bgnet.bgsu.edu. I think the list has probably heard enough of your childish position and insult. When you reply, try to make up an argument before hand. Don't just rant, yell insults, and try leading me into a self-loathing emotional breakdown. It won't work, and so far I'm not that impressed. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001e01bf927c$b3341c40$a100a8c0@icka.net> From: "The Bastard Snowman" Subject: TMBG: Re: (OT) The last meat post (assuming I'm not attacked unreasonably) Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 07:58:02 -0700 From that last message... > I want you not to be unreasonably unbiased and open-minded, a > surprisingly difficult task for certain people I could name. Ooh! That last post /was/ on topic. See? Certain people I could name is a wonderful song. Thanks for reminding us all of that fact. Signed, Nick "Can't We All Just Get Along?" Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my NEW AND IMPROVED web page... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jose" To: Sent: Monday, March 20, 2000 7:11 AM Subject: TMBG: (OT) The last meat post (assuming I'm not attacked unreasonably) > Alan, > >That was someone else's mail. I know little of this "Meat Out" of which you > >speak and I didn't make any of those points. See. > > > You're absolutely right. I confused your mail with someone else's and > apologize. On rereading your message, the only point was to poke at an > argument from the sidelines and offer no actual argument of your own, that > is, abuse the thoughts of others. > > >Angry? Moi? I put in some jokes didn't I? What more do you want? > > > I want you not to be unreasonably unbiased and open-minded, a > surprisingly difficult task for certain people I could name. If you wish to > demonize the rest of mankind that eats meat then the discussion is > pointless, as you've made up your mind and closed it. > > >>>...the lack of autonomy comes from the fact that cows require humans > >>to protect them. > > > >So presumably you want to eat babies too? > > > No, presumably babies have less autonomy and have less freedom because > of such. > > >That's still an argument for eating babies - as long as we take them by > >surprise when we come for them with the big knives. > > > No, it isn't. Humans bear a special role in morality under the system > of most people. Personally, I hold people on the highest rung of a > hierarchy which I described in an earlier post, based upon several > characteristics which I believe are beneficial to the universe. It is > standard for angry vegetarians (such as yourself) to misclassify this as > "specism" as it brings up negative connotations due to the words "sexism" > and "racism". > > >Well, I don't really KNOW what you understand. What I suspect is that you > like > >eating dead animals, but don't want to think you're doing anything wrong, > and > >have come up with all these laughably spurious arguments to try and justify > it. > >Just admit that you like meat - its legal, lots of other people do it, they > >can't touch you for it. > > > No, you're right. You have no idea what I understand and you never > will. You are too busy yelling about how you already know every argument > for and against vegetarianism. I don't think it much hurts/helps my > position to discuss my meat preferences, but it is something you insist upon > bringing up in hopes of exploring my bias on the issue. I choose not to eat > red meat. I choose to eat chicken, fish, and sometimes pork. And you're > right - I don't think there is anything wrong with it, otherwise I wouldn't > do it (basically the definition of a person living ethically). I challenge > anyone to make an argument which doesn't have holes in it over e-mail. It > is difficult and there are tremendous time constraints for most of us. You > haven't offered me a single argument in favor of vegetarianism, yet have > declared yourself a winner. > > >And there's nothing complex about what I'm saying, that's true. Just don't > call > >me "Al" or I'll cut your liver out. > > > Sorry Al. > > >That was a joke. > > > It wasn't funny. > > >Pull yourself together man, what would I want with your liver for god's > sake? > > > You're still not that funny. Even if I imagine a funny voice saying it. > > >By the way, I'm about to go on holiday for a week but will be happy to > carry on > >embarrassing the list with streams of childish insults when I get back. > > > I'm sure you would be. If you have any reply direct it to my personal > e-mail account at tclose@bgnet.bgsu.edu. I think the list has probably > heard enough of your childish position and insult. When you reply, try to > make up an argument before hand. Don't just rant, yell insults, and try > leading me into a self-loathing emotional breakdown. It won't work, and so > far I'm not that impressed. > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:20:44 -0500 (est) From: Fred Boak Subject: TMBG: Meat Out Message-Id: Organization: WordStock I'd just like to thank whoever posted about the Meat Out ... I had not heard about it. I'm going to celebrate it a manner similar to the way I celebrate the Smoke Out ... I'm a non-smoker, but I always try to have a cigar or cigarette on the day of the Smoke Out. Again, thanks for the head's up! - Fred. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38D6091F.7888A8AB@bu.edu> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 11:18:55 +0000 From: Casey Schreiner Organization: Boston University Subject: Re: TMBG:Cyclops Rock Well, thank you very much for that info. I was unaware the Flash player made the songs all crappy :) I am now very excited again about the release of whatever album will contain this rockin' song. Also, the DAS version of It's So Loud In Here is pretty cool, too. Nice volume contrasts. Did I mention that DAS hasn't left my computer's browser screen all week? -Casey, who is glad his roommate also likes TMBG <> -- "People tell me everyday, 'Don't tell people what to do,' But that's alright, I'll do it like they tell me to." -Brian Dewan ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:31:04 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8b5nbh$geq$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Cambridge Show? I'd like to get to this show as well.. if I can make it, it will be my 50th TMBG show on the seventh anniversery of my first show. So, who can help me? :) -Mike Casey Schreiner wrote in message news:38D54758.756E11F8@bu.edu... > Hey people! On Theymightbegiants.com, there's an April 28th show in > Cambridge at MIT that's listed as private. Are there any MIT-goers out > here who'd be willing to look into getting a BU Terrier snuck in from > across the river? > > -Casey ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 14:19:35 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38D679C7.F6C4DA34@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Cambridge Show? Man...how do you manage to see that many shows? I've only ever been to two. I'm jealous. -A The Demonic Kangaroo wrote: > > I'd like to get to this show as well.. if I can make it, it will be my 50th > TMBG show on the seventh anniversery of my first show. So, who can help me? > :) > > -Mike > > Casey Schreiner wrote in message > news:38D54758.756E11F8@bu.edu... > > Hey people! On Theymightbegiants.com, there's an April 28th show in > > Cambridge at MIT that's listed as private. Are there any MIT-goers out > > here who'd be willing to look into getting a BU Terrier snuck in from > > across the river? > > > > -Casey ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <200003201918.OAA15591@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: Chicken Meat-Out Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 14:18:28 -0500 (EST) I have a question for Jose and the others on the Meat Out topic. What are your positions on chicken eggs and meat in regards to the studies on chickens who are cooped up in cages all day as opposed to those allowed to run free in a barn or even an open farmyard? I've heard about cases where dozens of chickens will be put in cages all day without any movement and the stress induced not only degrades their life greatly but also produces not as high quality eggs or meat. I was curious if this affects your chicken eating decisions or not in regards to either or both points made above? Thanks, Matt ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0003209535.AA953582693@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 14:59:41 -0500 Subject: Re:TMBG: We can't go on MEATING like this. Not to change the subject, or anything, and totally unaffected by my opinions on the subject (I have none): but.... Alan, why is your address the brand name of a mini-pad?? Karin H "How's that again?" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:07:47 -0600 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <8b6p0b$12hm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: The whole Meat-Out thing... OK, it started off as a nice little OT announcement of an event. It was soon followed by a group which basically said "Meat-Out sux! Vegans suk!" and then "Meat-Out rox! Meat eaters suk!" Alright, I think(and I'm probably not alone) that we should all just stop bickering. I, personally, do eat meat, but think that if someone can get a nutritional balance without meat, they should be allowed to and not ridiculed. Vegans, same goes for you. Meat-eaters are not necessarily the embodiment of evil. Why can't we just quit and stop this from being "Manners Can Be Fun" all over again? .sig line is not a .sig line, so you feel a bit insulted. ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <6f.2888b7a.260843b8@aol.com> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:17:12 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: The whole Meat-Out thing... In a message dated 3/20/00 10:14:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, ".sig line is not a .sig line" writes: << Alright, I think(and I'm probably not alone) that we should all just stop bickering. >> I totally agree. Keep arguing, see if I care, but KEEP IT OFF THE #@%$ing list! "I'm the one who loves you! He's the angry one, with all the swear words!" Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 01:10:58 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8b73il$18ek$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The whole Meat-Out thing... Rick and Others, I apologize for the volume of off-topic mail that several of my posts helped to generate. I have moved the discussion to personal e-mail as best as I can. If anybody still wants to discuss the issue/flame me please direct all mailings to my e-mail account, tclose@bgnet.bgsu.edu, and not the list proc. Thanks, Jose CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com wrote in message <6f.2888b7a.260843b8@aol.com>... >In a message dated 3/20/00 10:14:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, ".sig line is >not a .sig line" writes: > ><< Alright, I think(and I'm > probably not alone) that we should all just stop bickering. >> > >I totally agree. Keep arguing, see if I care, but KEEP IT OFF THE #@%$ing >list! > >"I'm the one who loves you! He's the angry one, with all the swear words!" >Dr. Rick Worm >Chief of Surgical Staff >The Worm Clinic >Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #27-21 ******************************