Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #27-24 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 27, Number 24 Friday, 24 March 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-23 Re: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom show openers Re: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom show openers Re: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom show openers TMBG: Musings on Michael Shelley TMBG: Long Tall Weekend CD TMBG: TMBG's New "Rock Album" Re: TMBG: Musings on Michael Shelley TMBG: Edith Head? Re: TMBG: Musings on Michael Shelley Re: TMBG: Edith Head? Re: TMBG: Edith Head? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Particleman42@aol.com Message-ID: <6b.29abf8c.260b6b7f@aol.com> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 07:43:43 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-23 In a message dated 3/23/00 2:07:00 AM EST, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: > April 20: Rustic Overtones hey thats just plain cool!! rustic overtones are one of my favorite bands. i saw them about a month ago down here in Richmond, VA and they rock!! they are like an old-time 70's funk band (earth wind and fire, the commadores, etc.) that has been reborn with modern rock elements and even some jazz thrown in for good measure you guys up in NY are lucky, they're a great band i hope they open at the DC shows later, (#R!$ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 23:34:57 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom show openers Message-ID: <20000323.082548.-319627.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > Yuck. Hopefully he's out of the picture for good. Did anyone else > really > not like him? MICHAEL SHELLEY ROCKS MY WORLD. ok, now that i got that out of the way... his music is 100% awesome, he's a 100% awesome guy and contrary to popular belief - he's a super-duper nice guy too... i guess you just gotta put on the rock-attitude at shows to make it :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www.geocities.com/tmbgirl.geo/ http://www.geocities.com/jodapuff/ ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagh. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:27:12 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom show openers Message-ID: <20000323.083016.-319627.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> > He was okay. His bass player was hot. if you liked his bass player, Mike, you should check out his band - Baby Lemonade... pretty cool. :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www.geocities.com/tmbgirl.geo/ http://www.geocities.com/jodapuff/ ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: 23 Mar 2000 06:54:35 -0800 Message-ID: <-1258328023ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom show openers On Thursday, May 11, 1939, Ian The Bold wrote: > > >Yuck. Hopefully he's out of the picture for good. Did anyone else really >not like him? He did seem a little arrogant and his music didn't wow me. Sometimes its hard to judge music from hearing it live just once. So I can't really say. I'd have to buy one of his CDs to tell if I liked it. And yet I have a feeling that it would be a big risk spending $12-$18 on a Michael Shelley CD. Better wait till I see one for 99 cents in a used bin. Funny that someone mentioned Baby Lemonade because I've seen them play (opening for another band) and I didn't even notice that the guy was the in Michael Shelly's band. I liked Baby Lemonade sound and I'll probably try their CD one day. I'd like to see The Candy Butchers open for them again. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0003239538.AA953825600@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:28:09 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Musings on Michael Shelley The main thing I noticed when he opened for TMBG at the BB last fall was that large martini glass he quaffed from through his whole set. He was practically falling down by the end. Musically, I noticed that all his stuff started out like a Bread song (soppy, sappy, sticky-sweet) and then Stayed That Way. I kept expecting them to take a hard turn into the dark side, or the land of the unlikely; to give me that feeling of "What ??!!??" that I expected from a band opening for TMBG, the Gods of the Unpredictable. Except one song my daughter paraphrased as "I'm gonna kill that bitch tonight", that one had some promise. Maybe I'll hear it again someday, but I'm not gonna shell out $15 for the privilege. I'd rather save it for the New TMBG CD (woo-hoo!!) due out (according to Bongo's expert analysis) shortly after Armegeddon. btw - Was Flans being facetious when he introduced "Working Undercover For the Man" by dedicating it to Michael Shelley?? Karin H **FREE THE EXPO 67** ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Message-ID: <8c.1ef24f8.260b9742@aol.com> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:50:26 EST Subject: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend CD Hello there. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm looking for a version of Long Tall Weekend on CD, a copy or original. If you can help me out, please e-mail me at: superd149@aol.com Thank you David ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:15:58 -0800 From: "Pzickler" Subject: TMBG: TMBG's New "Rock Album" > Keep in mind however, that that most of the world will be destroyed by >nuclear holocaust in the last week of May so that could slow things down. > >-B O N G O Seems like that happens every few years, and always the last week of May. Huh. PZ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:03:10 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Musings on Michael Shelley Message-ID: <20000323.130313.-325393.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> HEyHEy... turns out michael shelley is on tour in Spain right now through april with his other band, Cheeky Monkey. If you don't have cheeky monkey's album you should definitely check it out... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www.geocities.com/tmbgirl.geo/ http://www.geocities.com/jodapuff/ ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000323224647.91793.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Landis" Subject: TMBG: Edith Head? Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:46:47 PST Yo, Someone may have already noticed this and/or brought it up, but the other day, a friend of mine made me sit down and watch Breakfast at Tiffany's. The thing is at the ending credits under the title of Costume Supervisor or something like that-- EDITH HEAD! This is probably a coincidence, but isn't the song supposed to be about a hair dresser? That's kind of like a costume supervisor. Sorta. Also, because I love cosmic TMBG connections, the SONG "Breakfast at Tiffany's" was done by Deep Blue Something, right? And aren't they the band who did "I might Be Giant too?" All this information is shakey due to my lousy memory. Someone please confirm/deny all of this. -- John "The Third John" Landis P.S. If anyone's counting, please add me to the list of people who didn't like Michael Shelley. I just thought "Listen to Your Heart" was dumb. Very High School Bandish. Hear a thought! Share a thought! Call my Dial-a-thought service at 1-877-608-1600 (ext. 538) It's a toll free call! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38DAA1D2.15A6@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:33:23 -0500 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Musings on Michael Shelley I didn't really enjoy Michael Shelley the time I saw him, but I do think he's probably a pretty cool guy, mostly from the stories I've heard. I guess his music just didn't prep me for TMBG the way I wanted it too. You Were Spiraling, on the other hand, totally rocked. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 19:43:20 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Edith Head? Yes, I believe the song was based upon that Edith Head. And yes, Deep Blue Something's Breakfast at Tiffany's is a cool song. I do believe that they did "I Might Be Giant, Too". Not sure though. The dotted line surrounding the mind of Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:43:20 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <200003240443.XAA21150@e450.mnsi.net> From: demarco@mnsi.net Subject: Re: TMBG: Edith Head? Nope. No coincidence. That is THE Edith Head of Tmbg songdom. She won several Oscars for costume design. At 02:46 PM 3/23/00 PST, you wrote: > Yo, Someone may have already noticed this and/or brought it up, but the >other day, a friend of mine made me sit down and watch Breakfast at >Tiffany's. The thing is at the ending credits under the title of Costume >Supervisor or something like that-- EDITH HEAD! This is probably a >coincidence, but isn't the song supposed to be about a hair dresser? That's >kind of like a costume supervisor. Sorta. > >-- John "The Third John" Landis > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #27-24 ******************************