Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #27-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 27, Number 27 Tuesday, 28 March 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: About TMBG's name..... Re: TMBG: About TMBG's name..... Re: TMBG: About TMBG's name..... Re: TMBG: About TMBG's name..... TMBG: Band name from the FAQ TMBG: TMBG Bowery Show themes Re:TMBG: TMBG Bowery Show themes Re: TMBG: TMBG Bowery Show themes Re: TMBG: TMBG Bowery Show themes TMBG: Binghamton TMBG: DC Shows Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0003279541.AA954174058@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:15:23 -0500 Subject: TMBG: About TMBG's name..... I have no idea if this is where They got their name, but it seems just quirky and well-read enough to be: In Cervantes' "Don Quixote" there's a line when someone is discussing Don Q's jousting with windmills in the belief that they are evil giants. Something along the lines of "If he believes that they are giants, he's a madman, but if he believes that they might be giants, that's genius." Seems kind of, well, appropriate to me. In the George C Scott movie They Might Be Giants, I believe they refer to the same quote. It's been a long time, but I think so. So maybe They were inspired by the quote in the movie, maybe by Don Quixote itself. Only They know the truth..... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20000327111910.0095c700@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:20:06 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: About TMBG's name..... I believe I've read in several interviews that it was from the movie. IIRC, the phrase "they might be giants" isn't even in the movie, although it's pretty close. If memory serves, there's a line that goes something like "but to think that they might be..." -Adam At 11:15 AM 3/27/00 -0500, karinh@sterl.com wrote: >I have no idea if this is where They got their name, but it seems just quirky >and well-read enough to be: >In Cervantes' "Don Quixote" there's a line when someone is discussing Don Q's >jousting with windmills in the belief that they are evil giants. Something >along the lines of "If he believes that they are giants, he's a madman, but if >he believes that they might be giants, that's genius." Seems kind of, well, >appropriate to me. >In the George C Scott movie They Might Be Giants, I believe they refer to the >same quote. It's been a long time, but I think so. So maybe They were >inspired >by the quote in the movie, maybe by Don Quixote itself. Only They know the >truth..... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <008501bf9807$e4c87a40$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: About TMBG's name..... Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:16:51 -0500 Organization: Marymount College and why the hell wont they tell us??? ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Monday, March 27, 2000 11:15 AM Subject: TMBG: About TMBG's name..... > I have no idea if this is where They got their name, but it seems just quirky > and well-read enough to be: > In Cervantes' "Don Quixote" there's a line when someone is discussing Don Q's > jousting with windmills in the belief that they are evil giants. Something > along the lines of "If he believes that they are giants, he's a madman, but if > he believes that they might be giants, that's genius." Seems kind of, well, > appropriate to me. > In the George C Scott movie They Might Be Giants, I believe they refer to the > same quote. It's been a long time, but I think so. So maybe They were inspired > by the quote in the movie, maybe by Don Quixote itself. Only They know the > truth..... > ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <200003271625.LAA11748@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: About TMBG's name..... Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:25:51 -0500 (EST) You're absolutely right about the movie: From the TMBG FAQ (I don't really believe the last bit, sounds like a bad rumor that someone tried to spread, especially considering most recent queries about their name seems to point to the movie): 7. Where does the name "They Might Be Giants" come from? They Might Be Giants is the name of a film starring George C. Scott, as a classic paranoiac who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes, and Joanne Woodward, as his psychiatrist Dr. Watson. Fred Wolf adds: [The] film you cite was previously a broadway play. The play's title . . . comes from a section of Don Quixote da la Mancha by Miguel Cervantes, where Don Quixote's trusted servant Sanch Panza asks the Don why is preparing to attack several windmills (common in Spain) with his lance. Don Quixote replys "Why, because they might be giants." Russ Josephson writes: For me, the key dialogue of the movie, where the title comes from, follows: Holmes: Here, what do you make of it? Watson: God, you're just like Don Quixote, you think everything's always something else. Holmes: Heh, heh, heh, well he had a point. Of course, he carried it a bit too far. He thought that every windmill was a giant. That's insane. But, thinking that they might be ... Well, all the best minds used to think the world was flat. But, what if it isn't? It might be round. And bread mold might be medicine. If we never looked at things and thought of what they might be, why, we'd all still be out there in the tall grass with the apes. John Linnell explains: "It's the name of a movie made in the early seventies. We wanted a name that was outward-looking and paranoid." However, The Rev. Midnight Tree Bandit says: One evening a couple of years ago, I was hanging out at a radio station on a Sunday Night (I was there every Sunday, but not a dj... long story) and came across one of those "how the bands got their names" books. I was quite surprised to find tmbg were one of them. The story given is a little different. According to the book (which cited both Flans and Linnell), neither of the Johns had seen the movie in question, nor were they quite aware of who they were. They got the name from a ventriloquist act, a friend of theirs, who used that name. After an unsuccessful run at a talent show, the guy told them they could use the name if they wanted. The Johns were wavering between that and "Dumptruck", choosing tmbg immediately before their first club date -- and a good thing too since there was a Boston band of the same name making the rounds of the East Coast. > > I have no idea if this is where They got their name, but it seems just quirky > and well-read enough to be: > In Cervantes' "Don Quixote" there's a line when someone is discussing Don Q's > jousting with windmills in the belief that they are evil giants. Something > along the lines of "If he believes that they are giants, he's a madman, but if > he believes that they might be giants, that's genius." Seems kind of, well, > appropriate to me. > In the George C Scott movie They Might Be Giants, I believe they refer to the > same quote. It's been a long time, but I think so. So maybe They were inspired > by the quote in the movie, maybe by Don Quixote itself. Only They know the > truth..... > ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <200003271629.LAA12332@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: Band name from the FAQ Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:29:09 -0500 (EST) OOps, I think I sent this to the person who originally posted but not to the group. The reason I'm sending this to the group deals with the last bit. Whoever this Rev. Midnight Tree Bandit is (boy would I take heed to someone with a name like that!) seems to be full of it, it sounds like some bad rumor Would they really call themselves Dumptruck?? I'd think not. All of the recent interviews I've heard say that they got the name from the movie. -Matt 7. Where does the name "They Might Be Giants" come from? They Might Be Giants is the name of a film starring George C. Scott, as a classic paranoiac who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes, and Joanne Woodward, as his psychiatrist Dr. Watson. Fred Wolf adds: [The] film you cite was previously a broadway play. The play's title . . . comes from a section of Don Quixote da la Mancha by Miguel Cervantes, where Don Quixote's trusted servant Sanch Panza asks the Don why is preparing to attack several windmills (common in Spain) with his lance. Don Quixote replys "Why, because they might be giants." Russ Josephson writes: For me, the key dialogue of the movie, where the title comes from, follows: Holmes: Here, what do you make of it? Watson: God, you're just like Don Quixote, you think everything's always something else. Holmes: Heh, heh, heh, well he had a point. Of course, he carried it a bit too far. He thought that every windmill was a giant. That's insane. But, thinking that they might be ... Well, all the best minds used to think the world was flat. But, what if it isn't? It might be round. And bread mold might be medicine. If we never looked at things and thought of what they might be, why, we'd all still be out there in the tall grass with the apes. John Linnell explains: "It's the name of a movie made in the early seventies. We wanted a name that was outward-looking and paranoid." However, The Rev. Midnight Tree Bandit says: One evening a couple of years ago, I was hanging out at a radio station on a Sunday Night (I was there every Sunday, but not a dj... long story) and came across one of those "how the bands got their names" books. I was quite surprised to find tmbg were one of them. The story given is a little different. According to the book (which cited both Flans and Linnell), neither of the Johns had seen the movie in question, nor were they quite aware of who they were. They got the name from a ventriloquist act, a friend of theirs, who used that name. After an unsuccessful run at a talent show, the guy told them they could use the name if they wanted. The Johns were wavering between that and "Dumptruck", choosing tmbg immediately before their first club date -- and a good thing too since there was a Boston band of the same name making the rounds of the East Coast. ------------------------------ From: TMBGDot@aol.com Message-ID: <3b.2b28c3f.2610ffbb@aol.com> Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:17:31 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG Bowery Show themes Hi everyone. I know the Bowery show themes have been a topic of much discussion recently, and today it has been announced that there will be no themes. But they'll still be great shows! Don't let that stop you from coming, as each one is sure to be different anyway. Love Operator Dot ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0003279541.AA954181958@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:27:05 -0500 Subject: Re:TMBG: TMBG Bowery Show themes >> Hi everyone. I know the Bowery show themes have been a topic of much discussion recently, and today it has been announced that there will be no themes. But they'll still be great shows! Don't let that stop you from coming, as each one is sure to be different anyway. Love Operator Dot << Yeah, like that would stop us..... Themes?? We don't need no stinkin themes!! ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:35:05 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Bowery Show themes Message-ID: <20000327.173510.-293633.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:17:31 EST TMBGDot@aol.com writes: >today it has been announced that there will be no themes. But > they'll still be great shows! Don't let that stop you from coming, are you serious? i'm not going anymore. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/tmbgirl.geo/ ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000328031711.89089.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kristin ." Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Bowery Show themes Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:17:10 EST Will the DC shows have themes? >From: tmbgirl@juno.com >Reply-To: tmbgirl@juno.com >To: TMBG-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Bowery Show themes >Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:35:05 -0500 > >On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:17:31 EST TMBGDot@aol.com writes: > >today it has been announced that there will be no themes. But > > they'll still be great shows! Don't let that stop you from coming, > >are you serious? i'm not going anymore. > >take it easy, JOrdaN >http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html >http://www.geocities.com/tmbgirl.geo/ > >________________________________________________________________ >YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! >Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! >Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: >http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 00:38:42 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38E04562.59AEC581@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Binghamton I don't think that I spelled that right. Anyway, for a change TMBG is going to be less than a 7 hour drive from me. YAY! I get to see them again. :o) "I'd rather be whistling in the dark," -A ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002101bf9880$6831e740$eff12581@cannon10> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: DC Shows Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:39:43 -0800 >Will the DC shows have themes? I'll bet it will be even better then theme shows since they'll be with the Velcro Horns they might do a bunch of 'Malcolm in the Middle' stuff. That would be sweetness. Erich ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #27-27 ******************************