Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #27-29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 27, Number 29 Thursday, 30 March 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-28 TMBG: Re: John Henry - About TMBG's name Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry - About TMBG's name Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry - About TMBG's name TMBG: April Show info? Re: TMBG: Re: About TMBG's name..... Re[2]: TMBG: Re: About TMBG's name..... Re: TMBG: Re: About TMBG's name..... Re: TMBG: Working Undercover for the Man of La Mancha TMBG: Robot Parade Re: TMBG: Robot Parade TMBG: NEW FREE MP3!! TMBG: tmbg at cabrini TMBG: Re: tmbg at cabrini TMBG: Nice is Good Re: TMBG: Re: About TMBG's name..... TMBG: Your Wu name Re: TMBG: Your Wu name Re: NON TMBG: Your Wu name TMBG: adjective fun Re: NON TMBG: Your Wu name Re: NON TMBG: Your Wu name Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KingoPuns@aol.com Message-ID: <3e.209e7d7.261325bc@aol.com> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:24:12 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-28 In a message dated 03/28/2000 11:07:05 PM Pacific Standard Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << 21. Missing Kids On Milk Cartons 22. Missing Kid & The Milk Cartons 23. The Milk Cartons >> I don't know...but reading these three names in succession reminded me of Buenos Aires =) ^i^ Weez'L ^i^ ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 9:22:00 +0100 Subject: TMBG: Re: John Henry - About TMBG's name Well now that we've sorted that out can someone explain 'John Henry' please. I know there is a old trad tune called John Henry, but doubt it is that. Thanks Richard >>> "tdk@tmbg.org" 29/March/2000 09:01am >>> The exact origin of TMBG's name is this; John & John had a friend who had himself a ventriloquism act. This gentleman had gone through a number of names for his own act including They Might Be Giants, which he procured from the film. John & John liked the name and asked him if they could use it, and he said yes. End of story. The Johns explain this in an interview on WNRN, a Charlottesville radio station on 9/12/97. There is an MP3 of this clip on my MP3 archive. -Mike ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <1c.1cf64ea.26134f91@aol.com> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:22:41 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry - About TMBG's name In a message dated 03/29/2000 5:00:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, rhilton@bitc.org.uk writes: > John Henry John Henry is something of an American folk hero, from the days of the railroads. Legend has it that John Henry was the toughest, strongest, fastest steel driver out there. In the story, he has a race with an automatic steam drill, and beats it, at the cost of his own life. (If I recall right, what he did so well was drive the spikes that hold the tracks down.) Anyway, John Henry is a minor cultural legend here in the States, although he's starting to fade into obscurity. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:04:20 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8bsust$u9p$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry - About TMBG's name FYI, "John Henry" was chosen as a name for the TMBG album because it was the first album that TMBG did not use a drum machine. They felt the "Man vs. Machine" motif was appropriate for their new album. The legend described in the previous reply sums up my knowledge of John Henry, folk hero. I'm sure you could find more on the web, though. Regards, Jose EmarZero@aol.com wrote in message <1c.1cf64ea.26134f91@aol.com>... >In a message dated 03/29/2000 5:00:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, >rhilton@bitc.org.uk writes: > >> John Henry > >John Henry is something of an American folk hero, from the days of the >railroads. Legend has it that John Henry was the toughest, strongest, >fastest steel driver out there. In the story, he has a race with an >automatic steam drill, and beats it, at the cost of his own life. (If I >recall right, what he did so well was drive the spikes that hold the tracks >down.) Anyway, John Henry is a minor cultural legend here in the States, >although he's starting to fade into obscurity. ------------------------------ From: "Erik J. Chuss" Message-ID: <852568B1.004DFCB8.00@notes949.cc.telcordia.com> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:11:25 -0500 Subject: TMBG: April Show info? If anyone can help with this I would appreciate it. Here is my poor, sorrowful story. :-( I was deleted from the digest distribution list about two months ago and haven't resigned due do to the large amount of email I receive each day and my attempt at cutting it down. I lost access to the unofficial website and can't get back in (I have submitted a request to get my access back but I haven't heard back - I now tried requesting a new account). I haven't heard back from Operator Dot on my request to be added to the TMBG band list (hopefully soon). You may ask, "So why is he telling us this long, pitiful tale?". Well the answer is One: I don't know if anyone can help get access to the site or email band list and Two: because I would like to find out if there is any info on the type of shows TMBG will be doing in April in New York (i.e. New Material show, Nostolgia show, Careless Santa show, etc.). I want to start making plans. TIA. Erik "Forever is a long time." ------------------------------ Date: 29 Mar 2000 07:36:31 -0800 Message-ID: <-1257807107ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: About TMBG's name..... On Wednesday, May 17, 1939, The Demonic Kangaroo wrote: >The exact origin of TMBG's name is this; John & John had a friend who had >himself a ventriloquism act. This gentleman had gone through a number of >names for his own act including They Might Be Giants, which he procured from >the film. John & John liked the name and asked him if they could use it, and >he said yes. End of story. The Johns explain this in an interview on WNRN, a >Charlottesville radio station on 9/12/97. There is an MP3 of this clip on my >MP3 archive. > > -Mike That sounds right to me except you're leaving out the fact that the film title was inspired by Don Quixote. So it goes like this: Don Quixote-> 70's comedy film-> the Johns' ventriloquist friend's act-> alternative band. Now IF ONLY the band's name would appear in modern literature, the whole thing would come full circle. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0003299543.AA954345128@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:52:05 -0500 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: About TMBG's name..... >> So it goes like this: Don Quixote-> 70's comedy film-> the Johns' >> ventriloquist friend's act-> alternative band. >> Now IF ONLY the band's name would appear in modern literature,the >> whole thing would come full circle. -B O N G O << Well, I saw a little doodle in a Mad Magazine recently of a couple weird looking guys in a band called "They Might Be Midgets", but now that I think of it, that's neither the band's name nor literature. Never mind...... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003701bf999a$24798420$47031fce@maxweb.com> From: "Colleen Anne McClanahan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: About TMBG's name..... Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:16:30 -0500 Bongo: | On Wednesday, May 17, 1939, The Demonic Kangaroo wrote: | >The exact origin of TMBG's name is this; John & John had a friend who had | >himself a ventriloquism act. This gentleman had gone through a number of | >names for his own act including They Might Be Giants, which he procured from | >the film. John & John liked the name and asked him if they could use it, and | >he said yes. End of story. The Johns explain this in an interview on WNRN, a | >Charlottesville radio station on 9/12/97. There is an MP3 of this clip on my | >MP3 archive. | > | > -Mike | | That sounds right to me except you're leaving out the fact that the film title was inspired by Don Quixote. | | So it goes like this: Don Quixote-> 70's comedy film-> the Johns' ventriloquist friend's act-> alternative band. | | Now IF ONLY the band's name would appear in modern literature, the whole thing would come full circle. If you consider Terry Pratchett literature, it has shown up in a sense, in the book Soul Music. A group of dwarves are trying to decide a name for their band... and it goes something like this.. "So what do you call yourselves?" "Er -- dwarfs, Mr. Dibbler," said the lead dwarf. "'Dwarfs'?" "Yes, sir." "Why?" "Because we are, Mr. Dibbler," said the lead dwarf patiently. "No, no, no. That won't do. That won't do at all. You gotta have a name with a big of" -- Dibbler waved his hands in the air -- "with a bit of Music With ROccks In ... uh. in. Not just 'Dwarfs.' You gotta be... oh, I don't know... something more interesting." "But we're /certainly/ dwarfs," said one of the dwarfs. "'We're Certainly Dwarfs,'" said Dibbler. "yes, that might work. Okay. I can book you in at the Bunch of Grapes on Thursday. And into the Free Festival, of course. Since it's free, you don't get paid, of course." "We've written this song," said the head dwarf, hopefully. "Good, good," said Dibbler, scribbling on this notepad. "It's called 'Something's Gotten Into My Beard.'" hehe. We had this discussion sometime last year (I actually copied and pasted from a message I sent then), but it's never too soon to mention Terry Pratchett again! :) He's a big TMBG fan, you know. Colleen Anne ------------------------------ Date: 29 Mar 2000 08:30:57 -0800 Message-ID: <-1257803841ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Working Undercover for the Man of La Mancha On Wednesday, May 17, 1939, CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com wrote: >I believe that the plot of "They Might Be Giants" is a man who thinks he's >Sherlock Holmes. But I'm not sure. That's basically it. He also has a reluctant assistant, a woman who happens to be named Watson. The weird thing is that unlike the original Sherlock Holmes who based his conclusions on logic, this guy just makes stuff up from the clues he finds. I can't understand why the Johns called it a bad movie because its really not. It's not very funny but it somewhat interesting. I saw it years ago (it was a free rental at my local library.) The most memorable part is near the end when characters from the film, one by one, join Holmes and Watson walking down the street until there's a parade consisting of the entire cast. Actually that's one of the few parts that I can remember. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:03:37 EST Subject: TMBG: Robot Parade Can someone send me the link to the Emusic page that has Robot Parade on it? I can't find the damn thing anywhere. Thanks. PR Mega ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00b301bf99ba$30f829c0$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: Robot Parade Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:05:50 -0500 Organization: Marymount College http://rsvp.rsvp0.net/servlet/click?LtNlpJDXWEkhJrPLssJokFohmtHpsDJhtE0EkhIh m there is also a new song there...i forget what its called but i d/l it last nite and it was cute > Can someone send me the link to the Emusic page that has Robot Parade on it? > I can't find the damn thing anywhere. Thanks. > > PR Mega ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002001bf99c2$09b7aa40$26946420@cannon10> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: NEW FREE MP3!! Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:01:53 -0800 >there is also a new song there...i forget what its called but i d/l it last >nite and it was cute Hey yeah there IS a new song there! its called 'Wake up Call' ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <7e.2d88ed9.2613d1d5@aol.com> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:38:29 EST Subject: TMBG: tmbg at cabrini Does anyone have infor on TMBG's may 5th show at cabrinin college? Any help would be greatly apreciated...especially whether or not it's all ages, or 21,81+. Thanks Jon ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:56:38 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38E27C16.FB2F1953@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg at cabrini MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > > Does anyone have infor on TMBG's may 5th show at cabrinin college? Any help > would be greatly apreciated...especially whether or not it's all ages, or > 21,81+. Thanks > > Jon 81+...DAMN...None of us will be able to get in. ;o) -A ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000d01bf99e1$90281320$c5de6420@cannon10> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Nice is Good Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:47:42 -0800 Hey everyone. I got Nice is Good off dial a song finally and uploaded it. Youll find it soon at: http://xooming.to/tmbgland Erich ------------------------------ Message-ID: <006401bf99f0$07662a40$3b8e7cce@lanio> From: "Lani O." Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: About TMBG's name..... Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:31:05 -0800 -----Original Message----- From: Colleen Anne McClanahan > >hehe. We had this discussion sometime last year (I actually copied and >pasted from a message I sent then), but it's never too soon to mention Terry >Pratchett again! :) He's a big TMBG fan, you know. > I don't think I was on the list then (having left it for a while), but I just have to throw in my Neil Gaiman bit. When Gaiman was here (Seattle) a couple of years ago for a book signing, I asked him if he likes TMBG because of the mention of 'em in one of his Sandman comics. He said something to the effect that yes, he likes them, and Terry Pratchett and he sometimes like to frighten people by singing Shoehorn with Teeth while walking down the street. I'm paraphrasing, 'cause it was a while ago and that's the best I can remember it -- and I hope to gosh it was Terry Pratchett he said, or this response is completely irrelevant. BTW, I think Pratchett's at the Univ. of Washington tomorrow doing a talk and book signing. I can't decide if I should go since I haven't really read any of his stuff...but he IS a TMBG fan, so....hmmm. -Lani O. ~There's a place for those who love their poetry -- It's just across from the sign that says "Pro's only."~ -TMBG www.geocities.com/~abutterfly Have you visited www.thehungersite.com today? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 22:19:46 -0500 (EST) From: "Robin L. Connell" Subject: TMBG: Your Wu name Message-ID: I got this from (of all places) the Echo and the Bunnymen mailing list. Wonderfully silly, my Wu name is: Big Wicker Ventriloquist go find yours: http://www.recordstore.com/cgi-bin/wuname/wuname.pl Robin "Big Wicker Ventriloquist" Connell *elegia@cgicafe.com* DJ Elegia "I wonder if anyone ever mentioned it to him, quietly, between scenes, as a friend. I mean we all assume that he wanted his pants that high, but maybe it was a problem. Maybe poor Dick had creeping pants." -Paul Chaplin ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.20000329212725.009bc4c0@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:33:42 -0500 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: Your Wu name To bring this on topic, Linnell's Wu name happens to be "Dependable Skeleton." I think that's rather neat. And Flansy's is "Tha Visible Choirboy." Makes me think of "How can i sing like a girl." -thm- At 10:19 PM 3/29/00 -0500, Robin L. Connell wrote: >I got this from (of all places) the Echo and the Bunnymen mailing >list. Wonderfully silly, my Wu name is: > >Big Wicker Ventriloquist > >go find yours: http://www.recordstore.com/cgi-bin/wuname/wuname.pl > >Robin "Big Wicker Ventriloquist" Connell >*elegia@cgicafe.com* >DJ Elegia > >"I wonder if anyone ever mentioned it to him, quietly, between scenes, as >a friend. I mean we all assume that he wanted his pants that high, but >maybe it was a problem. Maybe poor Dick had creeping pants." > >-Paul Chaplin > * -the hanged man- email: thehangedman@death-star.com * * web: http://thehangedman.digitaldriveway.com AIM: THM42 * * BBS: telnet://solace.digitaldriveway.com ICQ: 10933909 * * "Every day is a good day" -Zen Proverb * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <009701bf99f3$3fcf0de0$3b8e7cce@lanio> From: "Lani O." Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Your Wu name Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:50:52 -0800 What the heck IS a Wu name? Well, not knowing didn't stop me. Mine's "Gratuitous F-REEK" whatever it is. -Lani O. P.S. Wait! I tried it again with my full name and got "Detective Ventriloquist." There seems to be some kind of ventriloquist conspiracy going on here, but I like it. ~There's a place for those who love their poetry -- It's just across from the sign that says "Pro's only."~ -TMBG www.geocities.com/~abutterfly Have you visited www.thehungersite.com today? -----Original Message----- From: Robin L. Connell >I got this from (of all places) the Echo and the Bunnymen mailing >list. Wonderfully silly, my Wu name is: > >Big Wicker Ventriloquist > >go find yours: http://www.recordstore.com/cgi-bin/wuname/wuname.pl > >Robin "Big Wicker Ventriloquist" Connell >*elegia@cgicafe.com* >DJ Elegia > >"I wonder if anyone ever mentioned it to him, quietly, between scenes, as >a friend. I mean we all assume that he wanted his pants that high, but >maybe it was a problem. Maybe poor Dick had creeping pants." > >-Paul Chaplin > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00ab01bf99f2$3961a860$e91a99ce@aah1084access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: TMBG: adjective fun Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:46:58 -0500 This morning as I was getting ready for work, We Want a Rock came on the radio! Of course that woke me up a little more, but when the song ended, the DJ said that this weekend, being April Fool's day weekend and all, they would be playing a lot of music like TMBG because it's so "whimsical" What?! When I think whimsical, I think fairies dancing around or rainbows or something, not TMBG....I think I prefer the q-word. Amy, whose Wu name is "dizzy cow". How appropriate. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:53:15 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8bufej$1jr9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Your Wu name I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that it is the name you would hold if you were a member of the Wu Tang Clan. Wu Tank is a rap group, pretty heavy stuff if I recall last time I heard them. Anyway, I'm Chocolatey Shatner, and that's the way I likes it. Regards, Jose Lani O. wrote in message <009701bf99f3$3fcf0de0$3b8e7cce@lanio>... >What the heck IS a Wu name? > >Well, not knowing didn't stop me. Mine's "Gratuitous F-REEK" whatever it >is. > >-Lani O. > >P.S. Wait! I tried it again with my full name and got "Detective >Ventriloquist." There seems to be some kind of ventriloquist conspiracy >going on here, but I like it. > >~There's a place for those who love their poetry -- >It's just across from the sign that says "Pro's only."~ > -TMBG >www.geocities.com/~abutterfly >Have you visited www.thehungersite.com today? > > >-----Original Message----- >From: Robin L. Connell > > >>I got this from (of all places) the Echo and the Bunnymen mailing >>list. Wonderfully silly, my Wu name is: >> >>Big Wicker Ventriloquist >> >>go find yours: http://www.recordstore.com/cgi-bin/wuname/wuname.pl >> >>Robin "Big Wicker Ventriloquist" Connell >>*elegia@cgicafe.com* >>DJ Elegia >> >>"I wonder if anyone ever mentioned it to him, quietly, between scenes, as >>a friend. I mean we all assume that he wanted his pants that high, but >>maybe it was a problem. Maybe poor Dick had creeping pants." >> >>-Paul Chaplin >> > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:55:04 -0500 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8bufi0$1jts$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Your Wu name Wu TANG. Wu Tank sounds like a top secret government weapon on a bad John Travolta action flick. Stupid spelling errors... Regards, Jose Jose wrote in message <8bufej$1jr9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org>... >I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that it is the name you would hold if you >were a member of the Wu Tang Clan. Wu Tank is a rap group, pretty heavy >stuff if I recall last time I heard them. Anyway, I'm Chocolatey Shatner, >and that's the way I likes it. > > Regards, > Jose > >Lani O. wrote in message <009701bf99f3$3fcf0de0$3b8e7cce@lanio>... >>What the heck IS a Wu name? >> >>Well, not knowing didn't stop me. Mine's "Gratuitous F-REEK" whatever it >>is. >> >>-Lani O. >> >>P.S. Wait! I tried it again with my full name and got "Detective >>Ventriloquist." There seems to be some kind of ventriloquist conspiracy >>going on here, but I like it. >> >>~There's a place for those who love their poetry -- >>It's just across from the sign that says "Pro's only."~ >> -TMBG >>www.geocities.com/~abutterfly >>Have you visited www.thehungersite.com today? >> >> >>-----Original Message----- >>From: Robin L. Connell >> >> >>>I got this from (of all places) the Echo and the Bunnymen mailing >>>list. Wonderfully silly, my Wu name is: >>> >>>Big Wicker Ventriloquist >>> >>>go find yours: http://www.recordstore.com/cgi-bin/wuname/wuname.pl >>> >>>Robin "Big Wicker Ventriloquist" Connell >>>*elegia@cgicafe.com* >>>DJ Elegia >>> >>>"I wonder if anyone ever mentioned it to him, quietly, between scenes, as >>>a friend. I mean we all assume that he wanted his pants that high, but >>>maybe it was a problem. Maybe poor Dick had creeping pants." >>> >>>-Paul Chaplin >>> >> > > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #27-29 ******************************