Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #27-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 27, Number 3 Friday, 3 March 2000 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Freaking out the Johns TMBG: TMBG : best radio track. TMBG: Re: Freaking out the Johns TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences TMBG: Re: Thieving Rats at Concerts Re: TMBG: Freaking out the Johns TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences Re: TMBG: Freaking out the Johns Re: TMBG: Freaking out the Johns TMBG: Freaking out the Johns TMBG: Demo Tapes Re: TMBG: Re: Thieving Rats at Concerts Re: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences Re: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <002201bf842b$d35b4f20$c0de6420@tk421> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: Re: TMBG: Freaking out the Johns Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 01:43:53 -0800 Not that I look like a John or anythng but when I saw Tmbg in Vegas I could swear Linnell was looking at me too. Its probably cause i'm tall and i was right in the front and I was singing along to 'It's So Loud in Here' which then prompted him to say "It's wierd to see you poeple singing along to a UNRELEASED song! Pirated on the internet...." I guess thats my humble freaking of the John's Erich >Hey, I thought that weird souvenir thread was really cool, so I've got a >similar question. Has anyone here successfully freaked out one of the >Johns? Or at least made them afraid of you in some way? > >It's kinda been on my mind since at the State Songs show at the >Troubadour, I think I made Linnell think I was some kinda freak who was >trying to look like him, it seemed rather awkward when I got his >autograph on part of my accordion after the show. Some guy came up to me >after the show and said "Hey, you're that guy in the t-shirt that looks >like John!" and a woman also started talking to me as if I was John. I >was directly in front of him during the show whenever he used his >accordion instead of keyboard, so I wonder if he thought I'm some psycho >fan, or if something was mentioned between the people still hanging >around after I left. I really hope John doesn't want to completely avoid >me like the plague. I got all paranoid, thinking he was talking so long >in the upstairs hall because he was waiting for me to leave. Maybe he >didn't even think about it though since I don't look so much like him and >he knows what he looks like and didn't think I looked like him. This >isn't really considered freaking out the Johns, but just making them want >to avoid me. > >Since I was only 16 when TMBG were at the House of Blues (21+ for this >show) here I wanted to carry my accordion and see if I could get in the >back, posing as John...then I figured it was too risky, especially since >I was only 16 and the lighting might have been good enough to tell. Plus >John and John would probably get some kinda restraining order against me >for trying. That would suck. > >Garrett Liggett > > > > >________________________________________________________________ >YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! >Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! >Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: >http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. > ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:33:29 +0000 Subject: TMBG: TMBG : best radio track. I am involved with a community radio group in South West London. This Summer we expect to be going back on air again and I have somewhat foolishly volunteered to co-ordinate the music policy which, broadly speaking, is "additional to and different from existing radio services". So , of course, I want to include as much TMBG as well as Mono Puffs and State Songs as possible. I am not interested in what people think are the best tracks but what do people think are the most radio friendly tracks? Thanks Richard PS Please don't give us a list of other stuff you think is radio friendly unless you are prepared to send me a CD of it! If you are involved in a band etc. and have something, preferably on CD, that you think I'd be interested in please email me privately. Everyone in the group are really interested in playing stuff on the British radio that hasn't been heard before. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004301bf844f$cd687100$47031fce@maxweb.com> From: "Colleen Anne McClanahan" Subject: TMBG: Re: Freaking out the Johns Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:01:27 -0500 Garrett: | Hey, I thought that weird souvenir thread was really cool, so I've got a | similar question. Has anyone here successfully freaked out one of the | Johns? Or at least made them afraid of you in some way? Hmm... well, in two incidences, I think I've been NEXT TO people that've freaked out Linnell, at least (who, in my opinion, is more easily freaked than Flans.) Last April, I went to a TMBG show in Louisville, KY. I was front row, and the stage was really really low, about mid-thigh, with no security. Somehow, this random drunk chick ended up next to me. Evidently, she thought Linnell was huggable or something, and jumped up on stage during Particle Man (I think), and gave him a big hug. He was NOT happy.. "You can't be up here!", while Flans is yelling for security (a bunch of old volunteers at the Kentucky Center for the Arts.) Anyhow.. she got off of stage, and stood next to me for the rest of the evening. It really screwed up the concert for me a bit, I felt the need to watch her and make sure she didn't do it again. Last October, me and two of my friends went to see Them in Cincinnati. Once again, a really low stage, and I'm front row with my friends, stage Linnell. One of my friends with me is the laziest person alive, and decided that she didn't want to stand up anymore. So, with earplugs in her ears, she rested her head on the speaker in front of us with her eyes closed, about a foot from Linnell's feet. He gave her the WEIRDEST look, which she didn't see since her eyes were closed. When the song was over I yanked her up and told her she was freaking out the talent. So I have this fear that by default, my presence alone is going to start weirding out Linnell. "Look, there's the girl that always has the weird people around her. SECURITY!" :) I'm perfectly innocuous, I swear. I've never taken any sort of towel, cup, half-eaten bagel, or anything from a stage (although I was really close to getting Jian's setlist at a Moxy Fruvous concert last week). I hope everyone's having a suitably happy day. :) Colleen Anne ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:24:10 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <89ltle$2lf4$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences I'd like to tell you about some of the things that has happened to me at TMBG shows, but it's gonna be long. You have been warned. :) 04/28/93: My first They Might Be Giants concert (Count Basie Theater; Red Bank, NJ) Up until this point it had not occurred to me that I could go see a band in concert; I had heard about the show on a local radio station. It was seated but as soon as the show started everyone stood up and nobody sat down until the end. I had a great time even though I could hardly see the band and I got my first t-shirt, the hick johns with the pokey little puppy on the back. (It now has too many holes to be worn) I also liked the opening act, which was a solo artist named Brian Dewan. 11/08/96: My first show in New York City. (My 8th TMBG show) I was a little nervous as I took a train to Penn station and walked to the Roseland, it was the first time I was alone in the city. I saw Cub open and could not understand a word she was singing. Then I saw Andy Richter come out and introduce TMBG. (which, according to Andy stood for Too Much Beef Gristle where he came from) It was another great show, and I made it home alive. 02/07/97: My first setlist/autographs. (My 9th TMBG show) I went back to New York City for a show at Irving Plaza where I managed to convince a security guy to get me a setlist before the show started. Sure enough, after the show was over he got me one. I wanted around the side entrance until Graham Maby & Dan Hickey came out, they signed the setlist for me. I was very happy, until I missed the last train home and had to wait five or six hours in Penn station for the next one. 02/14/97: My first live recording. (My 10th TMBG show) This was the 'Valentine's Day Massacre' show, because They played most of their newest material which turned out to be songs that were cut from Factory Showroom. I had purchased a cheap Sony cassette recorder and snuck it into the show. After listening to my recording I discovered that my own singing voice was louder then that of the Johns; a classic ammeter mistake. Of course, my voice was not on the new songs because I did not know the words yet, which gave me an idea. I said to myself, hey.. If I can record some of these new songs to my computer I can put them online! And thus, my TMBG page was born. 04/08/97: The first time I met the Johns. (My 11th TMBG show) I went to the College of New Jersey in Trenton extra early for the show. While standing around I met a nice girl named Jeanette, who informed me that her friend Craig was at that moment interviewing the Johns at the college radio station. Not long after Craig showed up and admitted that he had only gotten to interview Flansburgh, but that both of them were currently having dinner at a small on-campus italian restaurant. Jeanette and I walked over to it and sure enough, we could see the Johns sitting at a table through a window. I thought it would be rude to bother them inside, so we waited. Eventually, Jeanette's boyfriend showed up and insisted that she join him at the line to get into the show which was then forming. Jeanette reluctantly departed, but not before she handed me her camera. Now I was alone waiting for the Johns to come out, and after about an hour they finally did. I asked them for an autograph, and Flansburgh said, "Sure." I handed my 2/7/97 setlist to John Linnell, and he signed it. John handed the setlist and my pen to John, and I asked them if I could take their picture. Linnell said, "Okay, but you only get one take." I happily snapped this photo with Jeanette's camera: http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbglive.jpg I thanked them and then followed them back to the hall where the show was taking place. 04/24/97: Second (and last) time I recorded a concert. (My 12th TMBG show) I saw TMBG again at St. Joseph University in Philadelphia, PA. I was especially excited that They were opening for the Violent Femmes. As it turned out, the Femmes went on first because TMBG was late showing up. I recorded TMBG and used the tape to start my collection. It was not a very good recording but I traded it to a bunch of people while making sure to trade for stuff that the other traders didn't have so I could then trade across again, and so on. In this way I acquired over 100 tapes inside a year. 09/09/97: Second meeting of the Johns. (My 13th TMBG show) I went to the Stone Balloon in Newark, DE extra early again, and my friend Ron and I got to meet the Johns as they exited the rear after their sound check, which we got to listen to. Out short conversation went like this: Me: Hey guys! JohnL: Hey guys. Me: How ya doin? JohnF: Good. How's it goin? Me: Alright. JohnF: Good to see ya. Me: We heard you play Dr. Worm a few minutes ago, are you gonna play it during the show? JohnF: Yeah. Me: Alright!! JohnL: I dunno.. no. We'll play it soon, though. Me: Oh, you're not gonna play it? Awwww. Not long after we got to meet Graham & Dan again as they left the building. During the show they actually decided to play Dr. Worm (for the first time).. I can't help but feel I might have influenced them to do so. A little later in the show I go to play John Flansburgh's guitar during The Guitar. I was blown away. I also got to see a really cool opening band for the first time, they were known as Lincoln. 09/13/97: Pictures! (My 14th & 15th TMBG shows) A couple months earlier I had bought myself a birthday present: a digital camera. I didn't quite have the nerve to bring it into the 9/9/97 show or the first show on 9/13. The show had sold out so they had added a second, later show which I bought a ticket for upon arrival. When I saw some people taking pictures I decided to bring my camera in. I took a few pictures in what would serve to be a long series of photos taken at TMBG shows. My page grew. 10/12/97: The worm incident. (My 17th TMBG show) I few shows earlier I had begun taking a Beanie Baby 'Inch' the worm to the shows. I would hold it above my head and shout for Dr. Worm. Anyway, at this show they played Dr. Worm very early in the set before I had a chance to request it. I was in the front row and Dr. Worm was above my head doing his obligatory dance when suddenly John Flansburgh was taking the worm away from me and tossing it behind an amp. Apparently I was a little distracting. At the end of the song John looked down at me and said, "I'll give it back to ya." but he didn't.. I had to get a stagehand to retrieve it for me. 03/28/98: Oranges? (My 24th TMBG show) This was at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY right after They had done a few shows in Florida. Myself and three friends were hanging around John's car after the show, when John & John came out. They declined to sign autographs, but as they were pulling away Flansburgh stopped the car and rolled down his window and said to me, "Would you like an orange?" I said, "Sure!" and he tossed me an orange. Then he gave one to each of my friends. We thanked John and They drove off. We drew T, M, B and G on each orange and took pictures of them. I still have an orange peel with a 'G' on it. 04/15/98: A request from Flans. (My 25th TMBG show) Continuing my custom of showing up to the shows extra early, I was hanging around Seton Hall when I was approached by one of TMBG's stage managers. He said to me, "John Flansburgh is really happy to see you, but he was wondering if you wouldn't mind not standing in the front row tonight." When I asked why, he told me that I was "too distracting". Well, I promised to behave and stood in the front anyway. Well, that's about it. I have seen TMBG 21 more times since, but nothing of real note has happened that I can think of right now. I continue to take photos at every show, and there are now shots from 29 TMBG shows, totaling over two thousand pictures. There are also over 240 MP3s that I have posted, all live from my bootleg collection. Check it out! -Mike http://tmbg.xrs.net/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 12:43:28 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38BEA840.1E124561@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Thieving Rats at Concerts I have confetti and shredded money from the confetti cannon after it went off. I'm satisfied with that. -A Bongo wrote: > > On Thursday, April 20, 1939, Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > >I have to agree with John here...admiring someone's work so much > >that you want to get as much memoribilia as possible is > >understandable, but saving personal items like cups, utensils, > >etc. borders on sick obsession. > > > >Kay > > > > The thing that bothers me about it is that most of these items are taken from the stage. None of us has the right to grab stuff from the stage. I can't imagine someone idolizing them so much that they are compelled to drink from their water bottle or coffee cup and yet have so little respect for them that they swipe things from their personal space. > > Furthermore, if you have taken stuff from the stage, the Johns HATE you. I've seen Flansburgh berate people for doing that. > > (I suppose if its taken AFTER the show and it's clearly TRASH like a PAPER cup its not so bad but stealing a coffee cup or towel isn't right.) > > Sorry to so blunt but they way I put it is nothing compared to the foul-mouthed rage Flansburgh would unleash on you if he caught you. > > -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 12:46:32 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38BEA8F8.117B8DCF@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Freaking out the Johns Linnell tends to stare at audience members, especially those in the front rows. He stared at me for an entire song once and being the paranoid freak that I am, I couldn't stand it anymore so I stuck my tongue out at him. Made him smile. :o) -A Erich Cannon wrote: > > Not that I look like a John or anythng but when I saw Tmbg in Vegas I could > swear Linnell was looking at me too. Its probably cause i'm tall and i was > right in the front and I was singing along to 'It's So Loud in Here' which > then prompted him to say "It's wierd to see you poeple singing along to a > UNRELEASED song! Pirated on the internet...." I guess thats my humble > freaking of the John's > > Erich > > >Hey, I thought that weird souvenir thread was really cool, so I've got a > >similar question. Has anyone here successfully freaked out one of the > >Johns? Or at least made them afraid of you in some way? > > > >It's kinda been on my mind since at the State Songs show at the > >Troubadour, I think I made Linnell think I was some kinda freak who was > >trying to look like him, it seemed rather awkward when I got his > >autograph on part of my accordion after the show. Some guy came up to me > >after the show and said "Hey, you're that guy in the t-shirt that looks > >like John!" and a woman also started talking to me as if I was John. I > >was directly in front of him during the show whenever he used his > >accordion instead of keyboard, so I wonder if he thought I'm some psycho > >fan, or if something was mentioned between the people still hanging > >around after I left. I really hope John doesn't want to completely avoid > >me like the plague. I got all paranoid, thinking he was talking so long > >in the upstairs hall because he was waiting for me to leave. Maybe he > >didn't even think about it though since I don't look so much like him and > >he knows what he looks like and didn't think I looked like him. This > >isn't really considered freaking out the Johns, but just making them want > >to avoid me. > > > >Since I was only 16 when TMBG were at the House of Blues (21+ for this > >show) here I wanted to carry my accordion and see if I could get in the > >back, posing as John...then I figured it was too risky, especially since > >I was only 16 and the lighting might have been good enough to tell. Plus > >John and John would probably get some kinda restraining order against me > >for trying. That would suck. > > > >Garrett Liggett > > > > > > > > > >________________________________________________________________ > >YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! > >Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! > >Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: > >http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 13:02:54 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38BEACCE.7C0043B3@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences You've seen TMBG 46 times! SHEESH! I've seen them twice in the past year. -A The Demonic Kangaroo wrote: > > I'd like to tell you about some of the things that has happened to me at > TMBG shows, but it's gonna be long. You have been warned. :) > > 04/28/93: My first They Might Be Giants concert (Count Basie Theater; Red > Bank, NJ) Up until this point it had not occurred to me that I could go see > a band in > concert; I had heard about the show on a local radio station. It was seated > but as soon as the show started everyone stood up and nobody sat down until > the end. I > had a great time even though I could hardly see the band and I got my first > t-shirt, the hick johns with the pokey little puppy on the back. (It now has > too many holes > to be worn) I also liked the opening act, which was a solo artist named > Brian Dewan. > > 11/08/96: My first show in New York City. (My 8th TMBG show) I was a little > nervous as I took a train to Penn station and walked to the Roseland, it was > the first > time I was alone in the city. I saw Cub open and could not understand a word > she was singing. Then I saw Andy Richter come out and introduce TMBG. > (which, > according to Andy stood for Too Much Beef Gristle where he came from) It was > another great show, and I made it home alive. > > 02/07/97: My first setlist/autographs. (My 9th TMBG show) I went back to New > York City for a show at Irving Plaza where I managed to convince a security > guy > to get me a setlist before the show started. Sure enough, after the show was > over he got me one. I wanted around the side entrance until Graham Maby & > Dan > Hickey came out, they signed the setlist for me. I was very happy, until I > missed the last train home and had to wait five or six hours in Penn station > for the next one. > > 02/14/97: My first live recording. (My 10th TMBG show) This was the > 'Valentine's Day Massacre' show, because They played most of their newest > material which > turned out to be songs that were cut from Factory Showroom. I had purchased > a cheap Sony cassette recorder and snuck it into the show. After listening > to my > recording I discovered that my own singing voice was louder then that of the > Johns; a classic ammeter mistake. Of course, my voice was not on the new > songs > because I did not know the words yet, which gave me an idea. I said to > myself, hey.. If I can record some of these new songs to my computer I can > put them online! > And thus, my TMBG page was born. > > 04/08/97: The first time I met the Johns. (My 11th TMBG show) I went to the > College of New Jersey in Trenton extra early for the show. While standing > around I > met a nice girl named Jeanette, who informed me that her friend Craig was at > that moment interviewing the Johns at the college radio station. Not long > after Craig > showed up and admitted that he had only gotten to interview Flansburgh, but > that both of them were currently having dinner at a small on-campus italian > restaurant. > Jeanette and I walked over to it and sure enough, we could see the Johns > sitting at a table through a window. I thought it would be rude to bother > them inside, so we > waited. Eventually, Jeanette's boyfriend showed up and insisted that she > join him at the line to get into the show which was then forming. Jeanette > reluctantly > departed, but not before she handed me her camera. Now I was alone waiting > for the Johns to come out, and after about an hour they finally did. I asked > them for > an autograph, and Flansburgh said, "Sure." I handed my 2/7/97 setlist to > John Linnell, and he signed it. John handed the setlist and my pen to John, > and I asked them > if I could take their picture. Linnell said, "Okay, but you only get one > take." I happily snapped this photo with Jeanette's camera: > http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbglive.jpg > I thanked them and then followed them back to the hall where the show was > taking place. > > 04/24/97: Second (and last) time I recorded a concert. (My 12th TMBG show) I > saw TMBG again at St. Joseph University in Philadelphia, PA. I was > especially > excited that They were opening for the Violent Femmes. As it turned out, the > Femmes went on first because TMBG was late showing up. I recorded TMBG and > used the tape to start my collection. It was not a very good recording but I > traded it to a bunch of people while making sure to trade for stuff that the > other traders > didn't have so I could then trade across again, and so on. In this way I > acquired over 100 tapes inside a year. > > 09/09/97: Second meeting of the Johns. (My 13th TMBG show) I went to the > Stone Balloon in Newark, DE extra early again, and my friend Ron and I got > to meet > the Johns as they exited the rear after their sound check, which we got to > listen to. Out short conversation went like this: Me: Hey guys! JohnL: Hey > guys. Me: How > ya doin? JohnF: Good. How's it goin? it.> Me: Alright. JohnF: Good to see ya. Me: We > heard > you play Dr. Worm a few minutes ago, are you gonna play it during the show? > JohnF: Yeah. Me: Alright!! JohnL: I > dunno.. no. > We'll play it soon, though. Me: Oh, you're not gonna play it? Awwww. > Not long after we got to meet Graham & Dan again as they left the building. > During the show they actually decided to play Dr. Worm (for the first > time).. I can't help > but feel I might have influenced them to do so. A little later in the show I > go to play John Flansburgh's guitar during The Guitar. I was blown away. I > also got to see a > really cool opening band for the first time, they were known as Lincoln. > > 09/13/97: Pictures! (My 14th & 15th TMBG shows) A couple months earlier I > had bought myself a birthday present: a digital camera. I didn't quite have > the nerve > to bring it into the 9/9/97 show or the first show on 9/13. The show had > sold out so they had added a second, later show which I bought a ticket for > upon arrival. > When I saw some people taking pictures I decided to bring my camera in. I > took a few pictures in what would serve to be a long series of photos taken > at TMBG > shows. My page grew. > > 10/12/97: The worm incident. (My 17th TMBG show) I few shows earlier I had > begun taking a Beanie Baby 'Inch' the worm to the shows. I would hold it > above > my head and shout for Dr. Worm. Anyway, at this show they played Dr. Worm > very early in the set before I had a chance to request it. I was in the > front row and > Dr. Worm was above my head doing his obligatory dance when suddenly John > Flansburgh was taking the worm away from me and tossing it behind an amp. > Apparently I was a little distracting. At the end of the song John looked > down at me and said, "I'll give it back to ya." but he didn't.. I had to get > a stagehand to > retrieve it for me. > > 03/28/98: Oranges? (My 24th TMBG show) This was at the Rensselaer > Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY right after They had done a few shows in > Florida. Myself > and three friends were hanging around John's car after the show, when John & > John came out. They declined to sign autographs, but as they were pulling > away > Flansburgh stopped the car and rolled down his window and said to me, "Would > you like an orange?" I said, "Sure!" and he tossed me an orange. Then he > gave one > to each of my friends. We thanked John and They drove off. We drew T, M, B > and G on each orange and took pictures of them. I still have an orange peel > with a > 'G' on it. > > 04/15/98: A request from Flans. (My 25th TMBG show) Continuing my custom of > showing up to the shows extra early, I was hanging around Seton Hall when I > was approached by one of TMBG's stage managers. He said to me, "John > Flansburgh is really happy to see you, but he was wondering if you wouldn't > mind not > standing in the front row tonight." When I asked why, he told me that I was > "too distracting". Well, I promised to behave and stood in the front anyway. > > Well, that's about it. I have seen TMBG 21 more times since, but nothing of > real note has happened that I can think of right now. I continue to take > photos at every > show, and there are now shots from 29 TMBG shows, totaling over two thousand > pictures. There are also over 240 MP3s that I have posted, all live from my > bootleg collection. Check it out! > > -Mike > > http://tmbg.xrs.net/ ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 13:47:30 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Freaking out the Johns In a message dated 03/02/2000 12:43:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, spruilla@epix.net writes: > Linnell tends to stare at audience members, especially those in the > front rows. He stared at me for an entire song once and being the > paranoid freak that I am, I couldn't stand it anymore so I stuck my > tongue out at him. Made him smile. :o) True, true. During the show in Atlanta last October, he stared at my (then) gf and myself all during "She's An Angel." Of course, the fact that we were being nauseatingly cute probably didn't hurt... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000303004611.41101.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Landis" Subject: Re: TMBG: Freaking out the Johns Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 16:46:11 PST I've never freaked out the John's, but I think a friend of mine has. At a Cincy show in '98, I brought a bunch of friends, hoping to convert them to fandom. (It worked for a few of them) If any of you have been there, you know that the bouncers at Bogart's are real nazis. They pissed off my buddy Sam enough that he decided the best thing to do would be to throw a wad of paper at one of them. Well, he missed. The paper bounced off something and hit Linnell in the foot. He ignored it, but at the end of the show Flans said something on the order of "We'd like to say 'fuck you' to whoever threw paper at us." Also, One of the Johns freaked me out a little. At two consecutive shows,I got the distinct impression that Linnell was staring directly at me for most of the time. I'm sure it was just my imagination,as I was standing in pretty much the same spot in relation to him, but it was still a little weird. That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else. -John "the third John" Landis ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 22:18:22 EST Subject: TMBG: Freaking out the Johns Hey all, Could anyone out there give me info on their Demo Tapes. I've been finding contradicting information on them. First, how many different demo tapes are there? What year were they put out, and what songs are on them? Any information you could give, (preferabaly correct info), would be much apreciated. thanks Jon ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <9d.2905ddc.25f0895a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 22:19:54 EST Subject: TMBG: Demo Tapes Hey all, Could anyone out there give me info on their Demo Tapes. I've been finding contradicting information on them. First, how many different demo tapes are there? What year were they put out, and what songs are on them? Any information you could give, (preferabaly correct info), would be much apreciated. thanks Jon PS-sorry about the first e-mail, it got sent out as a reply to an earlier thread...and to some guy. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <75.1f7fa79.25f08a2e@aol.com> Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 22:23:26 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Thieving Rats at Concerts > I have confetti and shredded money from the confetti cannon after it > went off. I'm satisfied with that. > -A Mee too! Yeah! Oh, and I stole John Flansburg's car. But you know. That's just one of those things no one misses, right? At most, I'm doing the world a favor! Ever see how he drives? ;) ~Lydia Driving around in Flansy's cool car since 1837 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000303040234.3568.qmail@web3003.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 20:02:34 -0800 (PST) From: Anastasia Hunt Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences My one and only TMBG experience was 3 years ago in Lawrence, KS, at Day On the Hill at KU. A listie named Heather graciously picked me up (she lived in Norman, OK; I lived in Oklahoma City) and we had a blast. Graham Maby was the only band member I met: he was very sweet. He autographed some random scrap of paper I had on me and then he offered us his hotel room. Alas, we didn't get the room because John and John had offered all hotel rooms to the opening band. Oh well. It was a great trip. Anya ===== Dear God, Thank you for letting my toilet be Y2K compliant. (inspired by the Daily Show) __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <38.2dc0ee7.25f09d0b@aol.com> Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 23:43:55 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: My TMBG Experiences The first TMBG concert I went to was in Clifton Park NY in Dec 1996. My friend and I were sitting at this table at this bar they were playing at. John Flansburgh was standing right behind me and I didn't know who he was. I was pissed when I found out it was him. That concert was the first time I hear the song "Older". Also I saw my eighth grade math teacher getting drunk. In Rochester Flansburgh waved to me when I was getting out of the car. I went up to Linnell when I saw him and he ignored me and slammed a door in my face. Harry Pyle ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #27-3 *****************************