Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #27-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 27, Number 8 Wednesday, 8 March 2000 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: what else are you listening to? TMBG: What else am I listening to? Re: TMBG: What else am I listening to? TMBG: Re:what else are you listening to? TMBG: Re: groovy music TMBG: Re: What Else Do You Listen To? Re: TMBG: What else am I listening to? Re: TMBG: Re: What Else Do You Listen To? Re: TMBG: What else are you listening to? TMBG: have you heard of this band? TMBG: Lincoln? Re: TMBG: Lincoln? TMBG: re: lincoln Re: TMBG: what else are you listening to? Re: TMBG: Re:what else are you listening to? Re: TMBG: Re:what else are you listening to? Re: TMBG: have you heard of this band? Re: TMBG: Re:what else are you listening to? Re: TMBG: Re:what else are you listening to? TMBG: Other junk I listen to... Re: TMBG: have you heard of this band? TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-7 TMBG: What I've been listening to Re: TMBG: What I've been listening to Re: TMBG: what else are you listening to? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: kmend@pacific.telebyte.com Message-Id: <200003070822.AAA31959@pacific.telebyte.com> Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 00:26:04 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: what else are you listening to? Oh yes, stuff I like to listen to! Aside from TMBG and the various side projects I also dig the following: XTC Adam Ant (just getting into Adam Ant, don't have much stuff yet...couple MP3's) Elvis Costello Space Moxy Fruvous The Aquabats Arrogant Worms Robyn Hitchcock (Viva Sea-Tac!) The Pixies Frank Black The Presidents of the United States of America The Rentals Fountains of Wayne That about sums up the stuff I listen to currently aside from bits and pieces from a bunch of MP3's I've got... Later! Kelly ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38C4F4D4.49685FD2@cashnet.com.br> Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:23:48 -0300 From: Charles Hodges Subject: TMBG: What else am I listening to? Oh, what the heck. I haven't written anything to this list in at least a year. I imagine most people here now have never heard from me. And why I'm writing about this thread when I have nothing that important to say is, well, unkown. Am I still the only one on the list from Brazil? A year or so ago, I was elected by this list as the Official They Might be Giants Ambassador to Brazil (O.T.M.B.G.A.B. for short) because no-one else wanted the job. Just wondering if I'm still the only one... I think I'm different from just about everyone I know in that I don't really go through phases of listening to the same bands. So I'll just tell you what I've listened to lately: They Might be Giants John Linnell Wilson Pickett Run-D.M.C. Yo la Tengo XTC Ultra Vivid Scene His Name is Alive Nirvana Oingo Boingo Marilyn Manson (he says, blushing) Prince (any phase, even whatever-you-call-that-symbol) Urban Dance Squad Mercury Rev Jane's Addiction Chrome The Beach Boys The Temptations the Nuggets box set You youngsters out there will notice there's a lot of "old" music. I suspect I am now one of the older people on this list, too, so that explains it. An alternative explanation, if you like, is that, although Brazil is not as backwards as most Americans used to think (we even have Internet!), as far as music goes, it's hard to get anything that's new and not real big. The only They Might be Giants album ever released here was "Factory Showroom", and nobody bought it (at least in the rest of Brazil; in Recife, where I live, TMBG have a fairly respectable following. If They ever come to Brazil, they MUST come to Recife!). Moxy Fruvous? Ha! Not a chance. Oh, well... HW (r), the O.T.M.B.G.A.B. -- CD listened to: Wilson Picket - "If you Need Me" Last movie seen: "American Beauty" (movies take a long time to get here, too; I suspect this one was only released at all because it got Oscar nominations) "Nao gosto dos G.R.E.S. / Mas em fevereiro / Eu tenho que suportar os G.R.E.S. / O Carnaval / Com seu espirito de festa / Suas cabrochas na avenida / O churrasquinho podro / E uma imposicao abusrda / E uma imposicao absurda" - Pato Fu, "G.R.E.S." ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 08:16:47 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: What else am I listening to? Guster Belle and Sebastian James Beck Ben Folds Five April March Liz Phair Fiona Apple Stereolab Billy Bragg REM Radiohead Blur and Public Radio Stations ------------------------------ Date: 07 Mar 2000 07:35:52 -0800 Message-ID: <-1259708120ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re:what else are you listening to? First, here are the things we have in common. These are the bands/artists that various people on this list said they like which I also like. These names were copied and pasted from your posts so if one of you bands appear below, I commend you on your good taste: They Might be Giants,Linnell, Mono Puff,etc. Belle and Sebastian Stereolab REM Radiohead XTC Prince tom waits philip glass Brian Dewan Lincoln Movie Soundtrack scores The Beatles The Cure Jamiroquai Geggy Tah Pink Floyd Mike Viola and the Candy Butchers elvis costello (late 80's/spike era) Here's other bands I love that none of you have yet mentioned but I hope you will: The Sugurplastic Cafe Tacuba Yazbek pApAs fritAs (I think the new CD is out today!) Eels (new CD out NEXT Tuesday) The Cardigans (except the disappointing "Gran Turismo" CD) Laurie Anderson The Residents Negativeland (especially the earlier stuff) The Clash Talking Heads/David Byrne The Flaming Lips (especially "Soft Bulletin" CD) World Music, especially Brazilian Plus a couple of bands I'm forgetting By the way, I do take your recommendations seriously and I've bought several CDs based on your suggestions. Unfortunately though, I couldn't get into most of them. The bands that I tried to like but couldn't were: Sloan, Barenaked Ladies, Ben Folds Five (although what I heard of the new CD sounds good) and Blur. I TRIED hard to like them and listened to them all several times. I just couldn't get into it them (but I appreciate the recommendations.) A recommendation that I have mixed feelings on is Moxy Fruvous. They aren't bad at times. One band that was a suggestion that I *do* really like is... Jim's Big Ego. I got "Don't Get Smart" a few months ago and its great. It won't be my last Jim's Big Ego CD. Thanks to Dexter Flansburgh for that recommendation. I think many of you might like it to. Gotta get back to work now! -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 08:15:29 -0800 From: "Pzickler" Subject: TMBG: Re: groovy music > "groovy >music you're listening to." just because i feel like sharing... >built to spill so cool to know more folks are listening to them now. I remember trying to tell ANYONE about them in the mid-90's and getting this 'huh?' reaction. amazing stuff. >The Bobs I saw their Xmas show in Seattle at Jazz Alley. Hadn't picked up anything by them since the first (brilliant) album. They're terrific musicians and are hilarious to see live. >Harvey Danger Notable only cuz I got into a massively crowded TMBG show at Bumbershoot in '98 because I sat through Harvey's show before it. Not entirely unpleasant, but it got me right down front for the Johns. Woohoo! >Nielsson (The Point) (wipes small tear from corner of eye) awww.... memories. >And, though this isn't an artist, I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats. and the cool thing about that is, this song was going through my head when I checked my email this morning, before I even got to this thread. The perfect bang on the piano and yell song, btw, for you musician types out there (it's in B, of all keys! sheesh). >Violent Femmes Gotta pick up another copy of "Hallowed Ground", don't know where my original one ever got to. A friend of mine is Gordon Gano's nephew, so I may get to meet him next time they tour round here. and I'll add - Pedro the Lion B-52's John Coltrane Nancy Griffith Bob Dylan (always) The Police (just noticed the bass line on Roxanne again - wow) PZ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001601bf8856$a7f9e380$90640818@brln1.ct.home.com> From: "Casey Schreiner" Subject: TMBG: Re: What Else Do You Listen To? Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 12:00:34 -0500 Hey everyone. This list is going to be a little long, considering I am a self-professed CD Junkie Los Amigos Invisibles Tori Amos B-52's Belle and Sebastian Beck Bis Bjork Blondie Bloque Brainiac David Byrne Cake The Causey Way Cake Crash Test Dummies DEVO Garbage Geggy Tah Lincoln John Linnell Jim's Big Ego Liquidrone Man, Or Astro-Man? 10,000 Maniacs Mono Puff Medeski, Martin, and Wood Moxy Fruvous Os Mutantes R.E.M. Raymond Scott The Smiths Soul Coughing Squirrel Nut Zippers Talking Heads They Might Be Giants Thinking Plague Tom Ze Ok, that's it. -Casey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <008901bf885f$7bf86410$47031fce@maxweb.com> From: "Colleen Anne McClanahan" Subject: Re: TMBG: What else am I listening to? Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 13:03:46 -0500 What I'm listening to (Other than TMBG and solo Linnell, of course) Moxy Fruvous Tori Amos Dar Williams Arrogant Worms The Uninvited (Dexter mentioned them, too. A GREAT band, check them out) Barenaked Ladies Lincoln Guster Great Big Sea Me First and the Gimme Gimmes Counting Crows Gin Blossoms Michael Shelley Joydrop Orgy Violent Femmes Colleen Anne ------------------------------ From: kmend@pacific.telebyte.com Message-Id: <200003071859.KAA13749@pacific.telebyte.com> Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 11:02:22 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: What Else Do You Listen To? Wow, alphabetized and Everything! Kelly On 7 Mar 00, at 12:00, Casey Schreiner wrote: > Hey everyone. This list is going to be a little long, considering I > am a self-professed CD Junkie > > Los Amigos Invisibles > Tori Amos > B-52's > Belle and Sebastian > Beck > Bis > Bjork > Blondie > Bloque > Brainiac > David Byrne > Cake > The Causey Way > Cake > Crash Test Dummies > DEVO > Garbage > Geggy Tah > Lincoln > John Linnell > Jim's Big Ego > Liquidrone > Man, Or Astro-Man? > 10,000 Maniacs > Mono Puff > Medeski, Martin, and Wood > Moxy Fruvous > Os Mutantes > R.E.M. > Raymond Scott > The Smiths > Soul Coughing > Squirrel Nut Zippers > Talking Heads > They Might Be Giants > Thinking Plague > Tom Ze > > Ok, that's it. > > -Casey ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 10:58:44 -0800 From: "Mary Moos" Message-ID: Subject: Re: TMBG: What else are you listening to? Organization: ChickMail (http://www.chickmail.com:80) Well, to name a few...... TMBG John Linnell Shonen Knife Pizzicato 5 Stereolab CoCo Cibo Matto That's to name a few 'cause the rest I forgot. -Some girl you don't know named Mary but you may know my friend Chuck Moulton. *********************************** chickclick.com http://www.chickclick.com girl sites that don't fake it. http://www.chickmail.com sign up for your free email. http://www.chickshops.com boutique shopping from chickclick.com *********************************** ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:04:08 EST Subject: TMBG: have you heard of this band? I'm not going to list all the bands that I listen to, I just want to know if anyone has ever heard of the band Mansun. They're british and my 3rd favorite band, but no one has ever heard of them! someone prove me wrong? ~^v^~ Amber, the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ~^v^~ ------------------------------ From: Josh2Face@aol.com Message-ID: <7a.2632ecc.25f6bfee@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:26:22 EST Subject: TMBG: Lincoln? Hey, are Lincoln broke up? Did they get back together? Any word on the solo album from the lead singer? Also, I find it AMAZING that we have like so many different fans all listening to TMBG. And to think, I thought I was the only guy in the world that new the lyrics to "Time Tough" and "Pomps And Pride" as well as those of "Ana Ng" and "When It Rains It Snows".....wow, its amazing. Big ups to the guy that said he liked Toots and the Maytals (I recommend Hepcat and the Slackers for your skankin' enjoyment). Anyway....yeah, any Lincoln news?? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20000307153304.00958ac0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 15:33:52 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Lincoln? Last I heard, Lincoln had broken up and Chris (I think that's his name) was planning a solo career. Haven't heard anything from them in the past year, at least. -Adam At 03:26 PM 3/7/00 -0500, Josh2Face@aol.com wrote: >Hey, are Lincoln broke up? Did they get back together? Any word on the solo >album from the lead singer? Also, I find it AMAZING that we have like so many >different fans all listening to TMBG. And to think, I thought I was the only >guy in the world that new the lyrics to "Time Tough" and "Pomps And Pride" as >well as those of "Ana Ng" and "When It Rains It Snows".....wow, its amazing. >Big ups to the guy that said he liked Toots and the Maytals (I recommend >Hepcat and the Slackers for your skankin' enjoyment). Anyway....yeah, any >Lincoln news?? > ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:02:12 EST Subject: TMBG: re: lincoln <> don't forget... both dans from lincoln are now (still?) in tmbg and/or mono puff. sarah ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <4a.27d74d8.25f6cb44@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:14:44 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: what else are you listening to? In a message dated 3/6/00 8:27:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, y2ktoilet@yahoo.com writes: << Grateful Dead Tori Amos Beck Weezer The Dead Milkmen the Monkees Whatever else my bf listens to >> Shit, a Dead Milkmen fan. You rule. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <66.1bf3ff8.25f6cc27@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:18:31 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:what else are you listening to? This is a long shot, but has anyone on this list ever head of the Town Managers? They were a philly band, but unfortunately they broke up. And their guitarist was the guitarist from the Dead Milkmen, that kick ass 80's punk band. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002401bf8884$6e3cc440$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:what else are you listening to? Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 17:28:14 -0500 Organization: Marymount College Jon, Did you ask colin smith about them? or is that where your info was from to begin with...I have heard of the band but i think it may have been through colin Chrissy > This is a long shot, but has anyone on this list ever head of the Town > Managers? They were a philly band, but unfortunately they broke up. And > their guitarist was the guitarist from the Dead Milkmen, that kick ass 80's > punk band. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003b01bf8884$b39350e0$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: have you heard of this band? Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 17:30:10 -0500 Organization: Marymount College this is a band i have heard of...a friend of mine in high school was very into them...she may have tried to convert me but i dont remember well...i am inspired to get some mp3s of theirs though chrissy > I'm not going to list all the bands that I listen to, I just want to know if > anyone has ever heard of the band Mansun. They're british and my 3rd favorite > band, but no one has ever heard of them! someone prove me wrong? > > > ~^v^~ Amber, the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for > Eternity ~^v^~ ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <67.21bf6d0.25f6de70@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 17:36:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:what else are you listening to? chrissy, Colin told me about them last year and we saw them with matt rademan, maybe you know him. he's insane. Anyway, i met the band and said, "hey, you're the guy form the dead milkmen", and he kinda groaned and nodded his head "yeah, that's me." Jon (I love talking to people throught the list...it's rude, but now you all get to listen in on our conversation.) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38C5A053.C392D45A@home.com> Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 18:35:31 -0600 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:what else are you listening to? The following artists make it into my regular rotation. I've got more, but some I don't listen to and don't care to mention. If they make up a large portion of my library, approximate numbers are indicated. Man, I'm scientific: Arrogant Worms (4) Beck (8) Frank Black David Byrne Camper Van Beethoven/Cracker The Cure (50+) Dead Milkmen Devo King Missile Kraftwerk Linnell Steve Martin (4) Mono Puff Monty Python (6) Old 97s Pizzicato 5 Pavement Wally Pleasant PUSA (5) Primus (8) Sugarcubes Matthew Sweet Talking Heads TMBG (25+) U2 (17) Weird Al (7) <--I don't listen much anymore, but he's so popular on this mailing list, I included him. Soundtracks: Rushmore, Simpsons, Pulp Fiction, MMPR, Space Ghost, blah blah blah. I mainly listen to mp3s now, really, and my collection of those is much larger, much more interesting and much more varied. Last 5 CD purchases: The Cure-Bloodflowers Beck-Midnite Vultures Short Music For Short People (101 bands playing 101 30-second songs!) John Linnell-State Songs Go Simpsonic with The Simpsons! There. Destin http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ It Might Be Updated Sometime Visual Discography ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:45:44 -0600 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <8a47pv$1ucf$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Other junk I listen to... OK, I just can't stay out of this one. Here goes: TMBG (Duh!) John Linnell (See previous duh!!) Oasis R.E.M. "Wierd Al" Yankovic Chemical Brothers Are We There Yet? (Okay, so it's cheating to list your own band!) Monty Python Billy Joel The Beatles Queen Dean Martin (Way cooler than Frank.) That's all I can think of. After all, "If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with you." .sig line is not a .sig line, so you feel a bit insulted. ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <8c.18f5b7e.25f70583@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 20:23:15 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: have you heard of this band? Yes! Mansun is a very very good band! Very depressing, but good! One of my life long goals is to see them in concert. ~^v^~ Amber, the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ~^v^~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000308025404.17470.rocketmail@web221.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:54:04 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #27-7 > bran van 3000 bran van 3000 is the best band alive > Limp Bizkit (please don't hurt me!) i'm gonna hurt you -chris(t) __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: mike@journalx.com Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:25:38 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: What I've been listening to Instead of making a list of bands I like, a list that would be very long and with no context whatsoever, I think I'll just list the last ten CDs or records that I listened to up until this very moment. I often wonder when I play a particular album if I happen to be the only person on earth at that moment actually listening to that album, so I would be interested to know if others out there have by any chance been listening to any of this stuff in the recent past. And of course there's also my standard agenda of trying to promote music I like to others. In no particular order: Sloan: Between The Bridges Spookey Ruben: What's A Boy To Do? (Modes Of Transportation Vol. 2) The Flashing Lights: Where The Change Is Kronos Quartet: Winter Was Hard Sloan: Twice Removed Toto/Brian Eno: Dune Soundtrack Dan Bryk: Dan Bryk Rocks Nobody EP The Lilac Time: And Love For All Danny Elfman: A Civil Action Soundtrack R.E.M. Live in Seattle 1989 I should also add the half hour performance recently televised of Suzanne Vega on Austin City Limits in 1994, a very nice performance. I'm not sure why this one was dusted off and re-aired, but I hadn't seen it before and it was great. MIKe ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <29.22eb923.25f73f3f@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:29:35 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: What I've been listening to In a message dated 3/8/00 12:25:20 AM, mike@journalx.com writes: > Instead of making a list of bands I like, a list that would be very >long and with no context whatsoever, I think I'll just list the last ten >CDs or records that I listened to up until this very moment. I often wonder >when I play a particular album if I happen to be the only person on earth >at that moment actually listening to that album, so I would be interested >to know if others out there have by any chance been listening to any of >this stuff in the recent past. wow. i think about that once in a while. i actually thought about that tonight, while listening to sloan's 'one chord to another'. > Sloan: Between The Bridges > The Flashing Lights: Where The Change Is > Sloan: Twice Removed fine, fine choices. :) sarah np. air ...'premieres symptomes' ------------------------------ Message-ID: <006c01bf88c1$06d8cb40$0fab30cf@timclark> From: "Tim Clark" Subject: Re: TMBG: what else are you listening to? Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:42:00 -0500 Really? Considering that all they ever really play out are border's book stores. I'm surprised :) I've never heard them on the radio before myself. ----- Original Message ----- From: Christina Rockwell To: Tim Clark Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2000 3:40 AM Subject: Re: TMBG: what else are you listening to? > GEG is completely known where i come from...always on the radio and stuff > > Grey Eye Glances (Very awesome band. Almost completely unknown) > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #27-8 *****************************