Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #28-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 28, Number 16 Thursday, 20 April 2000 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: SenSurround Vs. SenSurround TMBG: Bill Clinton's Ambassadors of Love TMBG: The Day TMBG: Re: The Day TMBG: References on TV Re:TMBG: Re: Wow, I'm still on here. Re:TMBG: References on TV Re: TMBG: SenSurround Vs. SenSurround Re: TMBG: Real live TMBG references on TV! Plus inspired TMBG: Re:TMBG Inspired Relationships Re: TMBG: References on TV Re: TMBG: Re:TMBG Inspired Relationships TMBG: reference in guitar magazine Re: TMBG: reference in guitar magazine Re: TMBG: reference in guitar magazine Re: TMBG: Re:TMBG Inspired Relationships TMBG: TMBG Re: inspired relationships Re: TMBG: inspired relationships TMBG: Burn a CD? TMBG: Super-cool homemade TMBG video! TMBG: Dead? Re: TMBG: inspired relationships Re: TMBG: Re:TMBG Inspired Relationships Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 19 Apr 2000 06:27:42 -0000 Message-ID: <20000419062742.12922.qmail@musone.chek.com> From: "Shaun Peck" Subject: Re: TMBG: SenSurround Vs. SenSurround I haven't seen Brain Candy or heard the soundtrack. Is the version of Spiraling Shape the same as the Factory Showroom version, or are the two as different as the MMPR and SEXXY versions of Sensurround are? Signup for your FREE Houston Astros Fan E-Mail account at http://www.astrosfan.net! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001a01bfa9dd$79375840$e5946420@cannon10> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Bill Clinton's Ambassadors of Love Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 01:58:43 -0700 Well i havent got a love connection due to the J's BUT my friend had a crush on this girl and she mentioned that she liked TMBG so he started listining to them and then he played them for me and I dug them and bought Apollo 18 after hearing stuff from Flood. Erich >><< Any couple out there that are together because of or through >> TMBG? I wonder because I got together with the guy I'm dating because of >>them. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: The Day Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:33:38 -0400 And biplanes bombed with fluffy pillows.... http://www.seattle-pi.com/fun/newbreed.asp Amy :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:14:19 -0500 From: "John David Crafton" Message-ID: <8dkbfj$c4p$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: The Day "Amy Greenlese" wrote: > And biplanes bombed with fluffy pillows.... > > http://www.seattle-pi.com/fun/newbreed.asp > > that was not a biplane. still funny though :-D ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:27:51 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: TMBG: References on TV Message-ID: Ok, I take myself to be a sort of TV expert (hahaha) in this regard. Chances are when you see something on a clever TV show (St. Elsewhere, Seinfeld, the Simpsons), it is almost NEVER by accident or coincidence. Even the "Severe Tire Damage" sign that Homer passes by, it could mean one of the producers loves TMBG, or it means that perhaps an artist had some bad luck that morning & someone is making fun of him, etc. Regardless, NOTHING is coincidence. It may not be a TMBG reference, but please do not just assume "Severe Tire Damage is a common sign that the animators decided to randomly put in." For example, look for anyone named "Bob Thompson" on TV. It's a reference to my Television teacher. You might at first say, "Bob Thompson is such a common name, they could just pull it out of their ass." Now what if I tell you everytime a "Bob Thompson" has appeared on TV, my professor receives a script (telling him to read a certain page) & a letter to watch on a certain night. Would you still say, "oh, it's just a coincidence?" Thank you, I know I've been gone a while. --Jason Glastetter ==================================================================== http://www.poingly.com - - Home of the infamous Poingly online game! http://www.mp3.com/poingly - - Download Poingly mp3 songs for FREE!! ==================================================================== ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0004199561.AA956151024@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:30:18 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Re: Wow, I'm still on here. Actually, everyone here has joined the Witless Protection Program, and changed their names to protect the guilty. Everyone Knows Who You Are, Though....... mwa ha ha haaaaa Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: Re: Wow, I'm still on here. Author: Date: 04/18/00 5:10 PM So many new people. I hadn't checked this list in like a year. Such turnover in subscribers. Zowee. ~Moose ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0004199561.AA956152324@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:51:59 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: References on TV Jason sez: > For example, look for anyone named "Bob Thompson" on TV. It's a reference > to my Television teacher. You might at first say, "Bob Thompson is such a > common name, they could just pull it out of their ass." Now what if I tell > you everytime a "Bob Thompson" has appeared on TV, my professor receives a > script (telling him to read a certain page) & a letter to watch on a > certain night. Would you still say, "oh, it's just a coincidence?" Ummm, no, I'd say "oh, it's just a paranoid delusion". What's the frequency, Kenneth? Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: 19 Apr 2000 07:06:22 -0800 Message-ID: <-1255994516ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: SenSurround Vs. SenSurround On Wednesday, June 7, 1939, Shaun Peck wrote: >I haven't seen Brain Candy or heard the soundtrack. Is the >version of Spiraling Shape the same as the Factory Showroom >version, or are the two as different as the MMPR and SEXXY >versions of Sensurround are? The Brain Candy and Factory Showroom "Spiraling Shape" are 100% identical. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:28:05 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38FDD085.2FC574DB@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Real live TMBG references on TV! Plus inspired Believe it or not, my past 2 boyfriends are a result of TMBG. -A MikeTheGiant@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 4/18/00 9:06:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, > agreen@ascinet.com writes: > > << Any couple out there that are together because of or through > TMBG? I wonder because I got together with the guy I'm dating because of > them. > It was really just a weird coincidence, but it turned out that we have a lot > in > common and things are going a lot better than I expected :) But enough about > me, > any other romances by fault of John and John? >> > > Actually, my current girlfriend and I got together due to TMBG. We met > on-line, and the only thing that we had in common at first was our love for > TMBG. After talking about different TMBG shows that we had been to, it > turned out that we had been to the same two shows. After that, we met at > another show and started to see each other on a regular basis. So, yes, > thanks to the John's, love has bloomed. > > Mike > > "The very existance of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, > someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there > on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ Date: 19 Apr 2000 08:21:51 -0800 Message-ID: <-1255989987ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re:TMBG Inspired Relationships Amy wrote: >On another note, the guy looking for the girl he saw at the >concert has kind of made me curious. Any couple out there that >are together because of or through TMBG? I wonder because I >got together with the guy I'm dating because of them. It was >really just a weird coincidence, but it turned out that we have >a lot in common and things are going a lot better than I >expected :) But enough about me, any other romances by fault of >John and John? My romances or more likely to *end* because of TMBG. Well, that's an exaggeration but I remember taking an ex girlfriend to her first TMBG concert. Of course, she had never heard of them before she met me. For that reason, a month before the show, I made her a TMBG greatest hits tape (concentrating on stuff they were likely to play at the show). I did that because I know that people enjoy a concert more when they know at least some of the songs being played. She never listened to more than the first couple of songs on side one. When we went she just complained. The relationship ended shortly afterwards... not because of that but it didn't help things. She once said, "You care more about those stupid They Might Be Giants than you do me." That wasn't true but in retrospect I would have been better off favoring TMBG over her. The problem is that 99.9% of any girls I've met not only never heard of TMBG but they usually like stuff like Mariah Carrey or Ricky Martin. When I meet someone, one of the first things I want to know is what kind of music she listens to. And yet I really hesitate to tell them the bands that I like because they haven't heard of them or if they have, they might get scared away. Its seems the more I'm physically attracted to them the more likely it is that their musical taste is going to suck. I'm not saying that female TMBG fans are unattractive. I've seen some nice ones at the concerts. When I joined this list a few years ago, I was surprised to see that their were so many female fans. For some reason, I had the feeling that TMBG was something women just couldn't get into. It would be nice to find a girl that loves TMBG but that's very unrealistic.The best I can hope for is one that I can convert into a fan. If that's not possible, I'd settle for one that's tolerant of TMBG. Anyway, love of TMBG is would be a very attractive quality. I just realized that all this had nothing to do with the original question about finding romance *because* of TMBG. Uh...nevermind. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:41:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: References on TV Unless the writers for the Simpsons can see into the future, it is NOT a TMBG reference considering that episode was made quite a bit before the Album was released. Sorry to burst your bubble. ~^v^~ Amber, the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ~^v^~ ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <3a.3fae878.262f2f74@aol.com> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:49:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:TMBG Inspired Relationships I should feel offended by that girls that don't like TMBG yet attracted to those girls and not the ones with good musical taste, but I'm too tired right now to care. I take great pride in my good musical taste and will debate to the end anyone who disrepsects my music and likes *bands* that don't even write or play their own instruments. I hardly ever meet any guys who have heard of TMBG. I only have 3 friends around where I live that have good taste in music...and they heard of a lot of the bands through me. See, the problem is that there isn;t any girls with good musical taste...we're just spread out throughout the world...its like an easter egg hunt. ...and of course what sort of music does my bf listen to? Metallica and Guns and Roses...... I'm working on him...he's currently borrowing one of my Pixies cds, now all I have to do is get him to listen to it.... ~^v^~ Amber, the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ~^v^~ ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:51:00 EDT Subject: TMBG: reference in guitar magazine I saw what I think is a TMBG reference in a guitar magazine today that I was browsing through at the book store. It was an article about a program that allows you to listen to music on the net or something to the effect and at the beginning in the bigger lettering of the article it said "Hey, Mr. Dj..." I dunno if its a reference, but it made me giggle. ~^v^~ Amber, the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ~^v^~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000419161743.45455.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: reference in guitar magazine Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:17:43 GMT Amber: >I saw what I think is a TMBG reference in a guitar magazine today that I >was >browsing through at the book store. It was an article about a program that >allows you to listen to music on the net or something to the effect and at >the beginning in the bigger lettering of the article it said "Hey, Mr. >Dj..." Well, I think it's more likely to be a TMBG reference than a "Severe Tire Damage" sign. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200004191628.MAA47296@f05n15.cac.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:30:42 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: reference in guitar magazine At 04:17 PM 4/19/2000 +0000, you wrote: >Amber: >>I saw what I think is a TMBG reference in a guitar magazine today that I >>was >>browsing through at the book store. It was an article about a program that >>allows you to listen to music on the net or something to the effect and at >>the beginning in the bigger lettering of the article it said "Hey, Mr. >>Dj..." > >Well, I think it's more likely to be a TMBG reference than a "Severe Tire >Damage" sign. Doubtful. According to my sister there's a Backstreet Boys or NSync (can't remember which) song called Hey Mr DJ. Not saying it's referencing that (especially in a guitar mag) but it's another phrase not exclusive to TMBG. --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: 19 Apr 2000 10:22:43 -0800 Message-ID: <-1255982735ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:TMBG Inspired Relationships On Thursday, June 8, 1939, Alterian@aol.com wrote: >I should feel offended by that girls that don't like TMBG yet attracted to >those girls and not the ones with good musical taste, but I'm too tired right >now to care. I take great pride in my good musical taste and will debate to >the end anyone who disrepsects my music and likes *bands* that don't even >write or play their own instruments. I hardly ever meet any guys who have >heard of TMBG. I only have 3 friends around where I live that have good taste >in music...and they heard of a lot of the bands through me. See, the problem >is that there isn;t any girls with good musical taste...we're just spread out >throughout the world...its like an easter egg hunt. I guess the problem comes from the fact that most people having boring and predictable taste in music. (Both sexes.) ...and of course what >sort of music does my bf listen to? Metallica and Guns and Roses...... Gun and Roses? Yeeech!...You have my sympathy! -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000419202527.80793.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Landis" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Re: inspired relationships Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:25:27 PDT All this talk of TMBG inspired relationships has brought back an idea I was discussing with a fellow TMBG fan a month or two ago. We were thinking that it would be a good idea to creat a sort of TMBG-fans-only personal classified thing. I've always noticed that TMBG fans seem like they would make the best partners. Even if that isn't true, you KNOW you would have something to talk about. I don't know anything about the fancy web design this would probably require, and I'm sure that it would be legally sticky as well. But if we could figure out a way to put this together and get enough people to post personal ads, it could be a really positive thing. On the other hand, it is a little creepy, but I know I would participate anyway. Also, I haven't really been paying attention, has there been any more talk of a group get together? I remember it being discussed a long time ago, and with summer coming, a lot of us have the free time for something like that. John "the third John" Landis Hear a thought! Share a thought! Call my Dial-a-thought service at 1-877-608-1600 (ext. 358) It's a toll free call! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38FE5DF5.2D1B15EE@osu.edu> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:31:34 -0700 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: inspired relationships Well, I don't have a TMBG inspired relationship, but I did get into TMBG because of an ex-boyfriend. I did meet a really cool guy through this list (he's not on it anymore) and we've become really good "emailing" friends, and met at a TMBG concert. Whenever I find someone who likes TMBG, my opinion of him or her becomes like ten times better just because of that. For a lot of cases, it really does tell a lot about the character of someone. Once I went to this (somewhat large) party, and I hardly knew anyone there, but like EVERYONE there liked TMBG. It was a little strange, but of course, I got along with them beautifully..... :-) Diana ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 19:10:34 -0500 (CDT) From: "Peter L. Vachuska" Subject: TMBG: Burn a CD? Message-ID: Does anyone know of places that would burn a CD for me? A while ago I bought Long Tall Weekend EP, downloaded the .mp3 files and play them on my computer and it's cool and all that. But I'm finding I would really like it on CD. If I had a CD writer, I could do it myself, but I can't justify that expense right now. I hope that this isn't illegal, and I get flamed for asking. There should be companies out there that would provide such a service. Thanks Much, Be Good- Peter ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <9d.456ad1e.262fc7d4@aol.com> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 22:39:16 EDT Subject: TMBG: Super-cool homemade TMBG video! Go to http://rockman.simplenet.com/movies/statue.zip This is incredibly cool. It's a full length video for "The Statue Got Me High" using 3d rendered Transformers characters. The coolest part is that one guy did this WHOLE thing by himself. (well, except for the music, I guess...) Aside from that, everything you see was all done by one dude. Extremely neat. -ez0, loves this thing. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000a01bfaa78$b39d6f60$a600a8c0@icka.net> From: "The Bastard Snowman" Subject: TMBG: Dead? Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:29:56 -0600 Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeep. This has been a test of the 'have I been unsubscribed' system. Had this been an actual emergency, something terrible would have happened to you already. Thanks. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my NEW AND IMPROVED web page... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: kmend@pacific.telebyte.com Message-Id: <200004200405.VAA28680@pacific.telebyte.com> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:04:29 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: inspired relationships I never got along with people as well as I do at a TMBG show. I'm not too sure why but whenever I'm at one I feel like I can just go up to anyone and start talking and not be judged a total freak well at least not right off the bat. I guess I do know why, we all have something in common to talk about...I mean there are few people who show up to the shows who aren't totally into the music...I've also noticed that the people I've met at the show generally dig the same sorts of things. Which in some ways isn't all that surprising...but when you consider that liking the same types of things doesn't nessesarily follow liking the same music it sort should be. It's a culture unto itself..unlike most other bands I think which are part of a larger, broader picture...they may be part of a culture...but not like TMBG which kinda seems to be a foundation of a culture of its own. Anyway, thats all for now! Kelly ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 00:21:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:TMBG Inspired Relationships In a message dated 4/19/00 11:25:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time, B O N G O writes: << The problem is that 99.9% of any girls I've met not only never heard of TMBG but they usually like stuff like Mariah Carrey or Ricky Martin. >> My current girlfriend somehow knew Particle Man by heart, and is now heavily into TMBG. She also like alternative stuff like I do. << When I meet someone, one of the first things I want to know is what kind of music she listens to. And yet I really hesitate to tell them the bands that I like because they haven't heard of them or if they have, they might get scared away. Its seems the more I'm physically attracted to them the more likely it is that their musical taste is going to suck. I'm not saying that female TMBG fans are unattractive. I've seen some nice ones at the concerts. >> She's not the prom queen, but she's great. << When I joined this list a few years ago, I was surprised to see that their were so many female fans. For some reason, I had the feeling that TMBG was something women just couldn't get into. >> Same here. I thought TMBG was really a guy thing. << It would be nice to find a girl that loves TMBG but that's very unrealistic.The best I can hope for is one that I can convert into a fan. If that's not possible, I'd settle for one that's tolerant of TMBG. Anyway, love of TMBG is would be a very attractive quality. I just realized that all this had nothing to do with the original question about finding romance *because* of TMBG. Uh...nevermind. >> Yeah, but it's still fun. :) "Yell at me. I'm too off-topic. Someone please?" Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #28-16 ******************************