Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #28-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 28, Number 22 Wednesday, 26 April 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG Bowery recordings TMBG: Re: He hates Calculus (TOTALLY OT) TMBG: John Down the Hall (was "I hate Calculus") Re: TMBG: Re: He hates Calculus (Totally OT) TMBG: Yet another Tony Millionaire / TMBG sighting TMBG: Sorry Re: TMBG: Re: He hates Calculus Re: TMBG: TMBG Bowery recordings Re: TMBG: Yet another Tony Millionaire / TMBG sighting Re: TMBG: Re: He hates Calculus TMBG: Instrumental Versions/He Hates Calculus TMBG: TMBG reference TMBG: No! TMBG: tmbg.com TMBG: Rabid Child video TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh Re: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh Re: TMBG: tmbg.com Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <00e601bfae85$bf67d680$8280accf@oemcomputer> From: "ekao" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Bowery recordings Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:13:24 -0400 Someone recorded the 4/20 Bowery show for me and missed the first couple seconds of "It's Not My Birthday". Just wondering if anyone else made a recording of this show. I have a sample .wma file of that first track. If anyone has any high quality, digitally sourced sourced TMBG shows to trade on CD, let me know. I have some Linnell shows and too many TMBG shows on CD. I'll have the Bowery show to trade as well in a few weeks. In the meantime, Im open to other trades. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 05:36:17 -0500 (CDT) From: "Peter L. Vachuska" Subject: TMBG: Re: He hates Calculus (TOTALLY OT) Message-ID: On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Jose wrote: > Jon, > > Couldn't give a crap about Frank O'Toole, but I LOVE calculus. For me, > it was the point when math finally came together and started having a point. > .................... > Jose I totally agree with Jose, I love Calc. But it's something that looks completely different from the other side - after you take it. I remember when I first started, especially, when I was trying to teach myself, that I got VERY frustrated with what I thought was terrible notation. But after a while it starts to all come together. I went on to get a Math major, then a Master's degree and finally a Ph.D. in Math. (I must really love the stuff.) Hang in there, it's worth it. It's sort of like "(She thinks she's) Edith Head" in that love may not be the first emotion it evokes, but over time you can look back and say "Yeah... Rock'n". With understanding comes love. -PeterV (Totally Misguided Benign Geek) > MrBean43@aol.com wrote in message <6a.225d78b.263643da@aol.com>... > >I do hate Calculus, but that's not the point...I actually have a question. > > > > > ------------------------------ Date: 25 Apr 2000 06:32:34 -0800 Message-ID: <-1255478144ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: John Down the Hall (was "I hate Calculus") On Tuesday, June 13, 1939, MrBean43@aol.com wrote: >Does anyone know why in the Frank O'Toole show Linnell is standing in the >hallway? It's been on my mind all afternoon I think it was some sort of effect. They liked the sound of his voice off in the distance. Didn't they do that during Why Does the Sun Shine? I seem to remember John being down the hall yelling, "...and that's why it looks so small!" He's far away, like the sun. That was my impression. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000425144620.33828.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: He hates Calculus (Totally OT) Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:46:20 GMT Sorry about this, but the subject line made me think of it. The Devil went down To TMBG List Town He brought his red computer To post about calculus It was TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC! It was TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC! It was TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC! It was TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC! -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan, who wasn't too fond of calculus himself DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:23:21 -0400 From: "Joe Teagno" Message-ID: <8e4dda$1s9c$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Yet another Tony Millionaire / TMBG sighting A couple of weeks ago, Tony Millionarie's comic strip "Maakies" had a punchline which was "How's my drooling? Call 718-387-6962." Today's strip also has another TMBG reference in it. The last panel refers to the Apollo 18 cover art. Check it out: http://www.word.com/komix/installments/onehundredninetyfive/millionaire/inde x.html And, if you missed it, the cartoon with Dial-A-Song's phone number is at: http://www.word.com/komix/installments/onehundredninetythree/millionaire/ind ex.html Joe broom@tmbg.org http://members.xoom.com/flophousejoe/ ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <39.4334563.263750e3@aol.com> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:49:55 EDT Subject: TMBG: Sorry I think I may have just sent a list of my bootlegs to the list. Sorry about that, it was only supposed to go to one person. Feel free though to contact me if anything in there sounds interesting. Jon "Dont make me spork your ass!" -Chris Lincoln. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <11.2edb5c3.26374f23@aol.com> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:42:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: He hates Calculus In a message dated 4/24/00 9:09:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tclose@bgnet.bgsu.edu writes: << Couldn't give a crap about Frank O'Toole, but I LOVE calculus. For me, it was the point when math finally came together and started having a point. In fact, I picked up a Math major just so I could feel justified in taking more calculus. If you have any questions (teaching yourself any subject can be tough), feel free to e-mail me and I'll try to get back to you in a timely manner. >> For me, Calculus has been the point when math finally fell apart. It all made sense up to this point....and now I have to work hard, and actually do homework, and study. It's terrible. I do agree with you that Calculus seems to be one of the more useful of the math subject's. And it is fairly interesting, somewhat fascinating that it was ever developed in the first place. I don't think I really hate it, rather Im not used to having to work so hard. I guess hard work is good for ya though. "Don't know much about Calculus..." -Some song from the 60's which I've probably misquoted. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:46:15 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Bowery recordings I've got plenty of high quality CD shows. Do you have anything available to trade? If you'd like, send me a list of your bootlegs and maybe we can set something up. For now, here's my list of bootlegs. These are only the high-quality ones. CONCERTS 10-21-99 bowery ballroom (THEN show, all old stuff...drum machine....this rules) 3-31-96 Madison Wiscounsin (all Factory showroom material + album out takes) 10-23-97 TMBG at the agora theater (my personal favorite bootleg) tmbg live at the el rey 7-16-99 TMBG live at Tipitinas (L.T.W. type show) bowery ball room 5-15-99 (10 excerpts) 12-31-98 TMBG TMBG at the barrymore theater House Of Blues 9/27/99 (live webcast, A++ quality) TMBG Irving Plaza 7/19/99 Live in central park, june 20 99 12-11-99 john linnell state songs show in 12-5-99 john linnell state songs show in chicago MISCELANEOUS tower records in store oct 16 98, flans was absent from this appeareance. RADIO SHOWS Frank O Toole Radio Show, 3/4/87. Talk of the natioon January 99. WFMU Washington DC john linnell on world cafe in philly, jan 2000 tmbg on kit kat acoustic break (awesome radio appeareance, great quality) TMBG live on German radio (i have to check date) TMBG at the wireless (australian radio show) TMBG on KCRW (radio show) John Linnell on All Things Considered ------------------------------ Date: 25 Apr 2000 11:29:35 -0800 Message-ID: <-1255460323ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Yet another Tony Millionaire / TMBG sighting On Wednesday, June 14, 1939, Joe Teagno wrote: >A couple of weeks ago, Tony Millionarie's comic strip "Maakies" had a >punchline which was "How's my drooling? Call 718-387-6962." > >Today's strip also has another TMBG reference in it. The last panel refers >to the Apollo 18 cover art. Check it out: > >http://www.word.com/komix/installments/onehundredninetyfive/millionaire/inde >x.html > >And, if you missed it, the cartoon with Dial-A-Song's phone number is at: >http://www.word.com/komix/installments/onehundredninetythree/millionaire/ind >ex.html Hmmmmm...maybe he's paying TMBG back for the exposure he's got through them. After all, I would never had heard of Tony Millionarie if it weren't for TMBG. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000425215046.68263.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah's Madness" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: He hates Calculus Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:50:45 PDT >For me, Calculus has been the point when math finally fell apart. It all >made sense up to this point....and now I have to work hard, and actually do >homework, and study. It's terrible. I do agree with you that Calculus >seems >to be one of the more useful of the math subject's. And it is fairly >interesting, somewhat fascinating that it was ever developed in the first >place. I don't think I really hate it, rather Im not used to having to >work >so hard. I guess hard work is good for ya though. are you people insane?!!!! math stops making sense at about the intermediate algebra/probability&stats level. i have never taken calc and thank god i never will. Looking at stats equations makes me ill and lightheaded. you people are diseased :) (j/k, but really, i don't understand!) sarah faye ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <39061526.15D4@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:59:02 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: TMBG: Instrumental Versions/He Hates Calculus Hey-o, Does anyone know how someone made those mp3s on the twistid site without the singing? I'm guessin with WinAmp, since it says so on the site, but exactly how do you do it? And if the person who made 'em is on here, they rock, please keep making them!!!!! BTW, I do not like Calculus either. It's the only grade on my college record that actually sucks (D). It, by itself, forced me to give up on Chemistry (I would have had to repeat the course and take more Calc after that to continue in Chem). "'He Hates Calculus', the latest hit single by quirky pop duo They Might Be Giants, found at a record store...somewhere." -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <6d.30885d1.2637756e@aol.com> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:25:50 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG reference my god guess what was on the Simpsons today. Today's episode was about homer in space and guess what they wore Space Suits. This is definitely a TMBG reference if I have ever seen one before. . . . . . If you have not noticed this is a very bad attempt at sarcasm about the abundance of stupid TMBG references on TV people claim to see every so often. David Schmidt ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Person 1: "What's it like to die" Person 2: "It Hurts!" :) ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:30:34 EDT Subject: TMBG: No! Just wondering what everyone thinks of the latest DAS offering. I think it's my favorite of the Kids album tunes so far :) Kay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20000425184449.00a759a0@mmc.marymt.edu> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:47:03 -0400 From: Christina Rockwell Subject: TMBG: tmbg.com Its slightly disturbing and waaaaay to heavy on the flash. Is there a plain html version? Could there be? If you have old computers or browsers or if you dont use windows you may not be able to see the new stuff. it just seems like overkill to me. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 14:59:26 -0500 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <8e5cf6$2bab$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Rabid Child video Does anybody have any information on this video besides what is in the FAQ? Does anybody have this video or has anybody actually seen it? .sig line is not a .sig line, so you feel a bit insulted. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:29:15 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8e5d95$2bot$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh Or, perhaps, *marching* on. ... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:27:13 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8e5d5b$2blm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh Better yet, save yourself a few keystrokes and cast your vote(s) here: http://members.aol.com/brycegh/ Every time you visit that page with a JavaScript-capable browser, it casts a vote for Flansy auto-magically! Click the green link at the top to vote again, without typing a thing! Tell your friends! Time is marhing on! Bryce Clang, clang, clang, clang, whoops, too late. beth! spillen wrote in message news:383258482.956582053303.JavaMail.root@web14.mail.com... > The People Poll is still on. Vote for John Flansburgh! Vote for Flansburgh! > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <015401bfaf1a$c4047460$71ac8e8c@lanio> From: "Lani O." Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:58:17 -0700 I love getting the "We're sorry, too many people are using this poll right now.
Please try hitting reload" message...makes me think all us Flans voters are making a difference... *sniff* -Lani O. ~There's a place for those who love their poetry -- It's just across from the sign that says "Pro's only."~ -TMBG www.geocities.com/~abutterfly Have you visited www.thehungersite.com today? -----Original Message----- From: Bryce To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2000 5:30 PM Subject: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh >Better yet, save yourself a few keystrokes and cast your vote(s) here: >http://members.aol.com/brycegh/ > >Every time you visit that page with a JavaScript-capable browser, it casts a >vote for Flansy auto-magically! Click the green link at the top to vote >again, without typing a thing! Tell your friends! Time is marhing on! > >Bryce > Clang, clang, clang, clang, whoops, too late. > >beth! spillen wrote in message >news:383258482.956582053303.JavaMail.root@web14.mail.com... >> The People Poll is still on. Vote for John Flansburgh! Vote for >Flansburgh! >> > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <390658EA.2026@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:48:11 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg.com I kinda like all the flash stuff. But then again, I'm not using an old computer/software. I do have a Mac, though, and I was still able to see it. TMBG usually seem to be Mac friendly like that. The presidents on the top are funny, but I'm surprised that it looks so much like dialasong.com. BTW, for all interested in downloading the videos, here is the url for that (it took me a while to figure it out): http://www.tmbg.com/songvid/ It will take you to the index, where you can get 4 different videos from BNW: Germ, Dan v.Cog, King Weed, and Older. I wonder if they'll put Cut the Strings on there eventually. I have yet to see that video. I also figured out the other indices for songs and giantcam, but there isn't anything new on there. If you really want those, email me. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #28-22 ******************************