Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #28-23 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 28, Number 23 Thursday, 27 April 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: hating calculus TMBG: Re: hating calculus -Reply Re: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh Re: TMBG: Re: hating calculus Re: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh TMBG: Fw: Top5 - 4/26/00 - Subliminal Movie Messages (Part I) TMBG: Flansburgh has already lost...and you don't even care. Re: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh TMBG: Re: Flansburgh has already lost...and you don't even care. Re: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh Re:TMBG: Re: Flansburgh has already lost...and you don't eve Re: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh has already lost...and you don't eve Re[2]: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh has already lost...and you don't TMBG: 4 of 2 Re: TMBG: 4 of 2 Re: TMBG: 4 of 2 Semi-TMBG: Cog TMBG: semi-tmbg: double dong Re: TMBG: Vote Flansburgh! Re: TMBG: Vote Flansburgh! TMBG: Flans is at #8! Flans is at #8!!! You did it! great job! Go us!!! Re: TMBG: Flans is at #8! Flans is at #8!!! You did it! great TMBG: Re: Flansburgh has already lost...and you don't even care. TMBG: We can do this... TMBG: My bad! #7 and still climbing! Re: TMBG: We can do this... Re: TMBG: My bad! #7 and still climbing! TMBG: Flansburgh Appearing with Nick Carter (its true!) TMBG: 6th Place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TMBG: He did it! Re: TMBG: He did it! Re: TMBG: He did it! Re: TMBG: He did it! Re: TMBG: He did it! TMBG: Thunderbird. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KingoPuns@aol.com Message-ID: <77.3511ac1.2637e4ba@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 02:20:42 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: hating calculus In a message dated 04/25/2000 11:07:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << "Don't know much about Calculus..." -Some song from the 60's which I've probably misquoted. >> It almost sounds like an XTC lyric from Mayor of Simpleton....but not. ^i^ Weez'L ^i^ ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 9:14:43 +0100 Subject: TMBG: Re: hating calculus -Reply It's the Sam Cooke song. The one that mentions a slide rule. So, how many others on the list have ever used a slide rule or even know what one looks like! Regards Richard >>> "KingoPuns@aol.com" 26/April/2000 07:43am >>> In a message dated 04/25/2000 11:07:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << "Don't know much about Calculus..." -Some song from the 60's which I've probably misquoted. >> It almost sounds like an XTC lyric from Mayor of Simpleton....but not. ^i^ Weez'L ^i^ ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <99.3f6389e.26381e44@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 06:26:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh Ya know, I love TMBG as much as anyone, but am I alone in thinking that they don't belong in People of the Century polls etc.? Am I alone in seeing the difference between fan and fanatic? If, on the other hand, I was to answer a poll of "what album are you most looking forward to", it would be the TMBG Children's album. Is it still going to be called NO! ? When does it come out? Just looking for some perspective. Ms ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20000426071925.00a6fc30@mmc.marymt.edu> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 07:21:25 -0400 From: Christina Rockwell Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: hating calculus Dont know much about history, don't know much biology, but i do know that i love you....and i know if you loved me too what a wonderful world this will be. i know alegbra is in the song...but i didnt think calculus is...and alls i know is that the Dead covered it at one point and it may be a Smokey song. ><< "Don't know much about Calculus..." > -Some song from the 60's which I've probably misquoted. >> > >It almost sounds like an XTC lyric from Mayor of Simpleton....but not. > >^i^ Weez'L ^i^ ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 07:33:29 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh >Ya know, I love TMBG as much as anyone, but am I alone in thinking that they don't belong in People of the Century polls etc.? Am I alone in seeing the difference between fan and fanatic? If these polls were anything to be taken seriously, then I would agree that TMBG don't belong there, but who can really take a poll of the most beautiful person seriously? The way I see it, it's fanatical, just a fun way to get the band s'more name recognition, which they seem to appreciate (they got a lot of mileage out of Linnell's showing in the People poll a couple of years back, and we even got a neat op ed piece in the New York Times from Linnell out of it, hehe). >If, on the other hand, I was to answer a poll of "what album are you most looking forward to", it would be the TMBG Children's album. Is it still going to be called NO! ? When does it come out? >> It should come out around June or August :) They've debuted at least three songs from it so far on DAS, and they played a revamped version of "4 of 2" at a recent show that they said will be on it.. Looks to be shaping up to be a good one! Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003301bfaf78$8722bbc0$196d96ce@Fruvous.maxweb.com> From: "Colleen Anne McClanahan" Subject: TMBG: Fw: Top5 - 4/26/00 - Subliminal Movie Messages (Part I) Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:11:18 -0400 Everyone, check out the music influence at the bottom! Colleen Anne * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------- April 26, 2000 NOTE FROM CHRIS: John Travolta's new movie, "Battlefield Earth," is based on a science-fiction book by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. Travolta, a devout Scientologist, has been trying for 15 years to get this movie made. Now two former members of the controversial "religion" are claiming that the movie will carry subliminal messages, urging viewers to join Scientology. Those allegations appear at the website http://www.factnet.org "But Chris, how will we know if we're watching a movie with subliminal messages?" Good thing you asked... The Top 15 Signs the Movie You're Watching Contains Subliminal Messages (Part I) [ The Top 5 List www.topfive.com ] [ Copyright 2000 by Chris White ] 15> Whenever you see Alec Baldwin, you inexplicably shout "Randolph Mantooth!!" and shove another marshmallow in your armpit. 14> "~~ Man, that Steve Buscemi is HOT! ~~" 13> You remain in your seat long after you see the words "Pauly" and "Shore" next to each other in the opening credits. 12> "How was the movie?" "I enjoyed all aspects of the movie, especially John Travolta's performance..." "What was it about?" "I enjoyed all aspects of the movie, especially John Travolta's performance...." 11> Every five minutes, you give another $10 to the Will Rogers Foundation. 10> The uncontrollable urge to kill someone after a Leonardo DiCaprio movie is stronger than usual. 9> Three Gargatu-Tubs in 30 minutes and you're *still* craving popcorn. 8> When you spent $85 at your last trip to the snack bar, they tossed in a free Medic-Alert diabetic bracelet. 7> Midway through "Erin Brockovich", you get the irresistible urge to stuff your training bra with popcorn. 6> Brush popcorn off pants? Check. Help your date with her coat? Check. Steal a tank and start the drive to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue? Check. 5> You wake up in a deserted theater with an empty box of Good 'n' Plenty over your swollen manhood and a single red Gummi Bear straddling each erect nipple. 4> You decide it's prudent to stock up on candy as you leave. 3> Just as the beautiful actress uncrosses her legs, you suddenly have the "Leave It To Beaver" theme running through your head. 2> Favorite drink before the movie: Single-malt Scotch Favorite drink after the movie: Zima and Topfive.com's Number 1 Sign the Movie You're Watching Contains Subliminal Messages... 1> You are now $145 lighter and the proud owner of a "Wagon O' Raisinets." [ The Top 5 List www.topfive.com ] [ Copyright 2000 by Chris White ] Rumination of the Day If life gives you a lemon, make lemonade. However -- if life gives you a pickle, you might as well give up, because pickle-ade is disgusting. (Clifton J. Gray) To subscribe to Ruminations: Ruminations-subscribe@topica.com ================================================================== Selected from 152 submissions from 55 contributors. Today's Top 5 List authors are: * ------------------------------------------------------------------ Jim Rosenberg, Greensboro, NC -- 1 (20th #1 / Hall of Famer) Jeff Rabinowitz, Denver, CO -- 2 Ed Smith, Chattanooga, TN -- 3 (Hall of Famer) Bill Muse, Seattle, WA -- 4 (Hall of Famer) Chris Jones, Snellville, GA -- 5 Alexander Clemens, San Francisco, CA -- 6 Marsha Clodfelter, Corpus Christi, TX -- 7 (Hall of Famer) Kevin Freels, Burbank, CA -- 8, Honorable Mention name Doug Finney, Houston, TX -- 9, 13 Wade Kwon, Birmingham, AL -- 9 Geoff Brown, Ann Arbor, MI -- 10 (Hall of Famer) Peter Bauer, Rochester, NY -- 11 Chris Gleason, Gaithersburg, MD -- 12 David Bryant, Columbia, MD -- 13 Jonathan D. Colan, Miami, FL -- 13 (Hall of Famer) Kevin Hawley, Fairless Hills, PA -- 13 (Hall of Famer) Brian Jones, Atlanta, GA -- 13 Kim Moser, New York, NY -- 13 Matt Siske, Dayton, OH -- 13 Jody LaFerriere, Leominster, MA -- 14 Craig Stacey, Romeoville, IL -- 15 Bruce Ansley, Baltimore, MD -- Topic (Hall of Famer) Rob Wolf, Seattle, WA -- Banner Tag Peg Warner, Exeter, NH -- Runner Up list name Chris White, New York, NY -- List owner/editor They Might Be Giants, Brooklyn, NY -- Ambience -> Ambience explanation: http://www.topfive.com/arcs/am042600.htm * ------------------------------------------------------------------ "...starring Kevin Nealon" and "~~ (Send money to Chris now) ~~" The Runners Up and Honorable Mention submissions for today's list can be found on the Joke A Day website: http://www.jokeaday.com/nftop5.shtml ------------------------------ Date: 26 Apr 2000 07:20:51 -0800 Message-ID: <-1255388847ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh has already lost...and you don't even care. The deadline for the People poll is May 5 and it looks very unlikely that Flans is going to show up on it at all. That means either: 1) You shouldn't waste your time with it anymore OR 2) You should get in there and vote like mad. I'm going with the second option but I'm only one person. I've got to do more than stuff the ballot box myself. Go to http://members.aol.com/brycegh/ or http://people.aol.com/people/50most/2000/poll/index.html On Thursday, June 15, 1939, MsTanbul@aol.com wrote: >Ya know, I love TMBG as much as anyone, but am I alone in thinking that they >don't belong in People of the Century polls etc.? Am I alone in seeing the >difference between fan and fanatic? I don't see it as fanatical at all. And in the time you spent stomping on our dreams, you could have gone to http://members.aol.com/brycegh/ and done some voting. I'm setting a goal for this list. Each of us should vote at least 100 times within the next 24 hrs. Don't worry about whether or not everybody else is doing it just make sure YOU do it. It really doesn't take that long. It would be nice if someone could create some kind of script that automatically votes around the clock. I wish I knew how. Apparently the site doesn't attempt to to discourage multiple votes. I don't know if it even bothers to reads cookies or keeps track of where your sending from in order to weed out ballot box stuffers. Anyway, I don't mean to sound pushy but let's get to it... before its too late. http://people.aol.com/people/50most/2000/poll/index.html -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000426163120.32606.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:31:20 GMT Kaylum: > >Ya know, I love TMBG as much as anyone, but am I alone in thinking that >they > don't belong in People of the Century polls etc.? Am I alone in seeing >the > difference between fan and fanatic? > >If these polls were anything to be taken seriously, then I would agree that >TMBG don't belong there, but who can really take a poll of the most >beautiful >person seriously? The way I see it, it's fanatical, just a fun way to get >the band s'more name recognition, which they seem to appreciate (they got a >lot of mileage out of Linnell's showing in the People poll a couple of >years >back, and we even got a neat op ed piece in the New York Times from Linnell >out of it, hehe). Yeah, those are pretty much my thoughts on the subject. Of course, "most beautiful person" is subjective, anyway, and maybe some people really DO think that the Johns are the most beautiful people. I'm not sure you could really make a case for Flans being the most important man of the century, but do guys like Einstein and Churchill really NEED any more exposure? (Not that I would personally call either of those guys the "man of the century," but they were probably more influential to the course of history than Flans.) > >If, on the other hand, I was to answer a poll of "what album are you most > looking forward to", it would be the TMBG Children's album. Is it still >going > to be called NO! ? When does it come out? >> I'm probably looking forward to the next REGULAR TMBG album, and the new XTC release, more than to the children's album, but I still have high expectations for No! I am wondering why the Johns chose to do a children's album, though. It seems somewhat counter-productive to Their desire to be taken more seriously. ("Hey, John, I'm sick of being seen as a novelty band!" "Me too! Let's release a children's album!") Of course, this doesn't really matter as far as the fan community is concerned. >It should come out around June or August :) They've debuted at least three >songs from it so far on DAS, and they played a revamped version of "4 of 2" >at a recent show that they said will be on it.. Looks to be shaping up to >be >a good one! I'm kind of disappointed about the fate of "4 Of 2." I guess They needed more songs to fill the quota for the children's album (and They have been awfully busy recently, I'm sure), but bowdlerizing it (so to speak) seems like it might ruin its potential. I'm hoping we'll get the original version on a B-side or something. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:25:14 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8e7cao$a3d$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh has already lost...and you don't even care. http://members.aol.com/brycegh/ Go there. If you're already in there, reload it. Now you don't need to keep clicking "Vote again." The page now votes every five seconds, as long as you keep it open. Leave it open while you find other computers and point them to this page! Hmm, cookies, I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it... Bryce ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:30:30 -0400 From: "Aleigh" Message-ID: <8e7ch3$a7c$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" wrote in message news:20000426163120.32606.qmail@hotmail.com... >I am wondering why the Johns chose to do a children's > album, though. It seems somewhat counter-productive to Their desire to be > taken more seriously. ("Hey, John, I'm sick of being seen as a novelty > band!" "Me too! Let's release a children's album!") Of course, this > doesn't really matter as far as the fan community is concerned. > Nathan I can't imagine John and John being worried about being labeled as a novelty band any more. Any band that sticks together and releases this much stuff over 5 years, much less the 17 that John and John have been in tmbg, has pretty much outlasted the novelty phase. They could be worried about people taking their music seriously, but I think it's great that they're just putting all this stuff out there, and doing their own thing, if they get more exposure, great, if they don't, now there's all this new stuff for the rabid fans to listen to :) Aleigh http://i.am/not_your_broom ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0004269567.AA956775082@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:51:15 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Re: Flansburgh has already lost...and you don't eve Bryce sez: >>Now you don't need to keep clicking "Vote again." The page now votes every >>five seconds, as long as you keep it open. Leave it open while you find >other computers and point them to this page! >Hmm, cookies, I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it... They did say something about any robot votes being discounted, maybe we're better off voting by hand, after all.... ? Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:06:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: voting for Flansburgh << I'm kind of disappointed about the fate of "4 Of 2." I guess They needed more songs to fill the quota for the children's album (and They have been awfully busy recently, I'm sure), but bowdlerizing it (so to speak) seems like it might ruin its potential. I'm hoping we'll get the original version on a B-side or something. -- >> Yeah, I was really upset when I heard they made "4of 2 " more "kid friendly" for No; normally I wouldn't care (I didn't really mind the change of "he says he killed our parents" to "he says he'll tell our parents" in "Token Back to Brooklyn"), but I really liked the haunting ending of the original "4 of 2." Anyone else agree? Kay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:34:18 -0500 From: John David Crafton Message-ID: <390744BA.D13C2819@yahoo.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh has already lost...and you don't eve karinh@sterl.com wrote: > > Bryce sez: > >>Now you don't need to keep clicking "Vote again." The page now votes every > >>five seconds, as long as you keep it open. Leave it open while you find > >other computers and point them to this page! > >Hmm, cookies, I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it... > > They did say something about any robot votes being discounted, maybe we're > better off voting by hand, after all.... ? This is not exactly a robot ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0004269567.AA956778490@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:48:02 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh has already lost...and you don't Well, I'm not quite Queen O' the Geeks, the exact requirements of robotdom elude me, but I wonder if any kind of automated-vote-submitting-without-any-clicking thingie might qualify to them. As to Christina's q: >>...and how can they tell?<< How they'd know is also well beyond me. Just thought I'd mention it. Karin H ** STARE INTO THE SUBLIMINAL FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh has already lost...and you don't ev Author: John David Crafton Date: 04/26/00 2:34 PM karinh@sterl.com wrote: > > Bryce sez: > >>Now you don't need to keep clicking "Vote again." The page now votes every > >>five seconds, as long as you keep it open. Leave it open while you find > >other computers and point them to this page! > >Hmm, cookies, I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it... > > They did say something about any robot votes being discounted, maybe we're > better off voting by hand, after all.... ? This is not exactly a robot ------------------------------ Message-ID: <39075847.5255@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:57:44 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: TMBG: 4 of 2 I can't decide which version I like better- I love the lyrics to the older one, and the ending is quite cool. However, it's a pretty good song with the changes in lyrics as well. Before I heard the latest version, I did not know the song was about a real live stopped clock. Maybe I'll try to listen to the new version without the funny intro parts and then compare. That's what I'll do. I'll get back to you on that. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000426214825.19884.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: 4 of 2 Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:48:25 GMT K.C. Kless: >I can't decide which version I like better- I love the lyrics to the >older one, and the ending is quite cool. However, it's a pretty good >song with the changes in lyrics as well. I haven't actually heard the latest version. Does anyone have a recording of it, or just a transcription of the lyrics? >Before I heard the latest version, I did not know the song was about a > >real live stopped clock. Wow, I didn't think of that. That would certainly explain a lot, although it wouldn't explain why the guy isn't moving. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3907651E.F8D@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:52:30 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: 4 of 2 The latest version is on the twistid site: www.twistid.com/tmbg/ -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:08:35 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Semi-TMBG: Cog Message-ID: <5005-390768E3-281@storefull-246.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Cog is listed in the newest edition of the Guiness Book of World Records as the "Most Intelligent Robot." This is the entry: "Based at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the Cog Project is an attempt to bring together the many different fields of artificial intelligence and robotics. When completed, Cog, the robot under construction, will represent the ultimate in Al robotics - it will be an intelligent humanoid that can think, hear, feel, touch, and speak." Yeah, well... big deal. Dan Hickey kicked his ass in drumming! So there! Dexter Flansburgh http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb http://www.hello.to/Bootlegs (my tape trade page) ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:47:01 -0400 Subject: TMBG: semi-tmbg: double dong Message-ID: <20000426.184706.-448081.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> hey hey... just in case anyone cares, there's an article about double dong in this months VICE magazine. I know you can check it out at viceland.com but uhm, i'm not sure if the article is there or not. check you kiddies later... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www.geocities.com/tmbgirl.geo/ http://www.radiofreecash.com/home.asp?ref=TMBgirl ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:50:37 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8e7rsd$kl2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Vote Flansburgh! The good news: Their web server can't possibly tell the difference between the page's auto-votes and a human being using their brower's Back button to repeatedly fill out the form. The bad news: They *can* tell which IP address each vote comes from, and they could conceivably decide to only count the first vote that comes from that address in a given day (or other time period). This would affect not only the auto-voting page, but also repeated voting by hand. The solution: Vote from every separate computer you can. And stay tuned, a better solution is in the pipeline... Bryce Wave the flags that the robots made. wrote in message news:0004269567.AA956778490@smtplink.sterl.com... > Well, I'm not quite Queen O' the Geeks, the exact requirements of robotdom elude > me, but I wonder if any kind of automated-vote-submitting-without-any-clicking > thingie might qualify to them. As to Christina's q: >>...and how can they > tell?<< > How they'd know is also well beyond me. Just thought I'd mention it. > Karin H > ** STARE INTO THE SUBLIMINAL > FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN ** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20000426194025.00a7e4b0@mmc.marymt.edu> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 19:40:51 -0400 From: Christina Rockwell Subject: Re: TMBG: Vote Flansburgh! yes but it said vote early and vote often so maybe it will count the votes... chrissy >The good news: Their web server can't possibly tell the difference between >the page's auto-votes and a human being using their brower's Back button to >repeatedly fill out the form. > >The bad news: They *can* tell which IP address each vote comes from, and >they could conceivably decide to only count the first vote that comes from >that address in a given day (or other time period). This would affect not >only the auto-voting page, but also repeated voting by hand. > >The solution: Vote from every separate computer you can. And stay tuned, a >better solution is in the pipeline... > >Bryce > Wave the flags that the robots made. > > > wrote in message >news:0004269567.AA956778490@smtplink.sterl.com... > > Well, I'm not quite Queen O' the Geeks, the exact requirements of robotdom >elude > > me, but I wonder if any kind of >automated-vote-submitting-without-any-clicking > > thingie might qualify to them. As to Christina's q: >>...and how can >they > > tell?<< > > How they'd know is also well beyond me. Just thought I'd mention it. > > Karin H > > ** STARE INTO THE SUBLIMINAL > > FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN ** > ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <78.47433c0.2638e633@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 20:39:15 EDT Subject: TMBG: Flans is at #8! Flans is at #8!!! You did it! great job! Go us!!! Yeah! Check it out. Keep voting, anyway! He deserves to be at #1! "Vote for Flans!" Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20000426204355.00a86cb0@mmc.marymt.edu> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 20:44:41 -0400 From: Christina Rockwell Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans is at #8! Flans is at #8!!! You did it! great WOW!!!!!!!!!! linnell is sooo much cuter than flans though...maybe next you we will try to get him at #1 start this page early... chrissy At 08:39 PM 4/26/00 -0400, CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com wrote: >Yeah! Check it out. Keep voting, anyway! He deserves to be at #1! > >"Vote for Flans!" >Dr. Rick Worm >Chief of Surgical Staff >The Worm Clinic >Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3907905F.8481755C@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:57:06 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh has already lost...and you don't even care. Earlier today in my ignorance, I wrote: "The deadline for the People poll is May 5 and it looks very unlikely that Flans is going to show up on it at all. ...You should get in there and vote like mad. ... http://members.aol.com/brycegh/ ...." I wrote that from work where I have email but not web access. Back then I didn't realize that above mentioned site (http://members.aol.com/brycegh/) actually does the voting for you automatically!!! Apparently all you have to do is click on the link and then leave your computer on ...preferably through May 5 if possible.! (Or do what you can.) It votes again and again automatically every 5 seconds with out you even being there! What a concept! Now there's no excuse! Whoever created that page, you're a genius. (Or at least less lazy than the rest of us.) Once again, its http://members.aol.com/brycegh/ -B O N G O _________________________________________________________ "Flans' the One" -official campaign slogan of the People for a Giant Future Party. http://members.aol.com/brycegh/ ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <25.4e3c2d1.2638eb55@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:01:09 EDT Subject: TMBG: We can do this... 2 hours ago, i was silently making fun of all the people who thought they could actually get Flansburgh into the list. Now, I feel like quite the ass as I see john has risen to #8...but it doesn't matter. Now I realize we can get him into the number 1 spot. All WE have to do is leave our computers online all day (or if you have but one phone line, just at night while you're asleep) and let it vote all night. I know im doing this, and I think anyone on this list that would like to see TMBG get some name recognition for the next few weekse should do it too. It's not like it takes effort or anything. Go here to have your computer vote for Flans: http://members.aol.com/brycegh/ So, what are you waiting for? Go vote... Jon ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <90.38a0fa7.2638ecbe@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:07:10 EDT Subject: TMBG: My bad! #7 and still climbing! From the Flans campaign HQ: Mr. Flansburgh has just passed the Oded guy, and is at #7! Keep voting! Thanks Bryce! Once again, his page is http://members.aol.com/brycegh/ "Keep Voting! Vote for Flans!" Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <61.30a741b.2638edb5@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:11:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: We can do this... He's at 7 now! This feels wrong. I mean he was in third in the Most Important Person Of The Century poll until they kicked him off as frivolous... And he surpasses Linnell's record in this! Poor Linny's gonna start feeling second-rate.... *Sniffle* I feel bad now! Lydia Sticking up for her favorite John since 1837 ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <69.42e109e.2638edf1@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:12:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: My bad! #7 and still climbing! Im still waiting for that darn 3.81 percent to change...oh, there it goes. 3.82 percent!! Jon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3907A039.E377F2A6@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 19:04:48 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh Appearing with Nick Carter (its true!) Flansburgh really IS appearing with Nick Carter!...on the People Magazine special Internet edition of their 10 Most Beautiful People Poll! Now let all help John kick Nick's ass! Vote for Flans in People's 10 Most Beautiful People poll http://members.aol.com/brycegh/ (Automatic mega ballot box stuffing page!) -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <009901bfafee$1cc038e0$0100000a@athlon> From: "Chris Campbell" Subject: TMBG: 6th Place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:12:40 -0400 Whooo-hooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KEEP VOTING, we need TONS of people to vote in order to move ahead (I did some math). C'Mon people- It's SO EASY TO DO. Use Your computer, The Schools Computers, Your Work's computer, Your friend's computer, the public library's computer, and even the little laptops found in Police cars. WE CAN DO IT! http://members.aol.com/brycegh/ THANKS BRYCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Feeny [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <54.325562c.2638fcbe@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:15:26 EDT Subject: TMBG: He did it! Flans Campaign HQ! He did it! He just edged out Gillian Anderson for #6! Do you think he knows about it yet? Just tell me if this is getting annoying. "I'm the one who loves you! He's the angry one, with all the swear words!" Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:22:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: He did it! <> Not annoying at all, Worm. Im pretty excited about all this, nothing can annoy me now except having to go write my English paper, dag nam it. Happy voting everyone...ill be leaving mine run all night. So should you. Jon ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:14:33 -0500 From: John David Crafton Message-ID: <3907B099.B5280B2E@yahoo.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: He did it! MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > > <> > > Not annoying at all, Worm. Im pretty excited about all this, nothing can > annoy me now except having to go write my English paper, dag nam it. Happy > voting everyone...ill be leaving mine run all night. So should you. > > Jon mine's been running almost all day, and will be running all night tonight and most of tomorrow, etc, etc, so I'm doing my part. Flans WILL be in the top 3! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000427033436.75558.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: He did it! Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 03:34:36 GMT CallMeDoctorWorm: >He did it! He just edged out Gillian Anderson for #6! Yeah! In your FACE, Agent Scully! >Do you think he knows about it yet? If anyone's going to the Bowery Ballroom show tomorrow, be sure to listen and see if he mentions it (not that you'd be likely to miss it if he DOES mention it, but you know). -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: <14.2d441e8.26391058@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:39:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: He did it! In a message dated 4/26/00 11:19:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Hypertext_Eye@yahoo.com writes: << MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > > <> > > Not annoying at all, Worm. Im pretty excited about all this, nothing can > annoy me now except having to go write my English paper, dag nam it. Happy > voting everyone...ill be leaving mine run all night. So should you. > > Jon mine's been running almost all day, and will be running all night tonight and most of tomorrow, etc, etc, so I'm doing my part. Flans WILL be in the top 3! >> Less than 30,000 more votes, and he will be #5!!! Whoo hoo!!! Let's go team! Mike "The very existance of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001901bfb004$08ad5c00$a600a8c0@icka.net> From: "The Bastard Snowman" Subject: TMBG: Thunderbird. Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:49:50 -0600 Does ANYONE have a really really really good recording of this song? As far as I'm concerned it f***ing rocks, I just wish I could understand it a little better. :0) Thanks. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my NEW AND IMPROVED web page... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #28-23 ******************************