Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #28-26 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 28, Number 26 Sunday, 30 April 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. Re: Non-TMBG: You Were Spiraling Re: TMBG: Telling "People" Where To Shove It Re: TMBG: Telling "People" Where To Shove It Re: TMBG: Telling "People" Where To Shove It Re: TMBG: Telling "People" Where To Shove It TMBG: MP3's TMBG: 4 Of 2: The old vs. the new Re: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. TMBG: There's always next year... Re: TMBG: There's always next year... Re: TMBG: Barking... Death.. Squirrel...?!?! Re: TMBG: Barking... Death.. Squirrel...?!?! Re: TMBG: Barking... Death.. Squirrel...?!?! Re: TMBG: MP3's Re: TMBG: Barking... Death.. Squirrel...?!?! TMBG: New Site Re: Non-TMBG: You Were Spiraling Re: TMBG: 4 Of 2: The old vs. the new TMBG: I might be giant, too. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:58:54 EDT Subject: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. > The editor from People Online got back to me about our > concern about > > the John Flansburgh robot. Here is what she said: > > (SNIP) Okay, guys... here's where I say my piece. We need to be above this. Sure, the Scott Fuckin' Cohen fan club may have ratted our shit out. No biggie. Pick up and move on. But PLEASE, let's be adults about it. Writing hate mail to People for disqualifying votes that were gained by *CHEATING* is pretty silly. It makes us look bad, and more importantly, it makes the Johns look bad. Now, either we get a robot that's more convincing, or we gracefully bow out. It is *extremely* bad form to go out shouting at everyone who has tried to hold us down/back. TMBG fans, hands-down, are some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I cannot recall a singular surly fan at a TMBG show, myself excluded. What I'm saying here is... We. Are. Above. This. Just because the Johns are crankin' out a kids' album does NOT mean we are obligated to act like petty kids who cry when they get caught. (Which is, let's be honest, what happened. We used a robot, we got burned.) Let's try to have some fucking dignity, OK? Now. "The Professional" is on USA, and I'm gonna go watch that movie kick some ass. -ez0, feels like everyone's grandpa... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000429041118.26922.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Samantha Skinner" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: You Were Spiraling Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:11:18 GMT Personally, I couldn't find any except for the ones at MP3.com/yws ... but I bought the CDs and got them in the mail today. Let me add, they ROCK my world! :) They're worth the 20 bucks, and I got a bunch of stickers, and a t-shirt too. ;) -Samantha >From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com >Reply-To: HeYAnArChY@aol.com >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Non-TMBG: You Were Spiraling >Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 22:54:59 EDT > >Anyone know where I can find YWS MP3s, or if I can at all? Any help would >be >greatly appreciated. > >Thanks- >Lydia >Pirating Music Gleefully Since 1837 ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000429043446.52267.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Telling "People" Where To Shove It Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:34:45 GMT CallMeDoctorWorm: >(for those of you who don't know, John Flansburgh's votes were taken away >from the People Magazine Poll by those damned mainstrean teenybopper eye >candy bastards at People Online, which, just by coincidence, are the same >company as AOL.) Look, do you people think you could possibly CALM DOWN? I know we're all upset about Flansburgh's removal from the poll, but do we know WHY? Not unless some of you have access to information that I don't. Need I remind you that the poll rules specifically SAY that robot votes will be disregarded, and, as disappointing as it is to the TMBG fans, Flans probably wouldn't have even made number ten without robotic assistance? And even if People did remove John because he isn't "mainstream" enough, what good is having a hissy fit at the editor going to do? >I think it would be really cool if we could get Mr. Flansburgh to write to >People Magazine himself. Really cool? Perhaps. Really FEASIBLE? No. I'd be willing to bet that Flans doesn't care about this anywhere NEAR as much as the people on this list do. I'm sure he'd be amused to see himself as a top candidate, and he'd probably publicize it as much as he could, but I tend to doubt he'll be upset if he's NOT in the running. And even if he DOES get upset, he probably won't bother writing to the editor. Did he write to Time when they dropped him from the Person of the Century poll (which we KNOW was rigged)? Well, maybe, but I doubt it. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <390A720F.2D17@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 01:24:30 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Telling "People" Where To Shove It Preach on, brother Nathan. Everyone relax. We were cheating, and doing very well at it. However, you're not supposed to cheat. It's People's poll, it's their rules, and therefore they determine who wins. It is set up so that (after the drunken dwarf, etc. of the past) the people they put on the list will win. They don't claim to be doing the public a great service by having an opinion poll. They just want to give their fans/readers the idea that they count. Then they'll keep buying magazines and making money. It's capitalism, and People is apparently pretty good at it. Would I like to "conquer" or "defeat" the mass media/teenie culture/whateveryoucallit? Sure I would. But is it going to happen if we try to beat them in their own game? Ummm...no. BTW, would TMBG fans on this list really want to see Flans as the most beautiful person, and all publicized and on the cover or in the magazine? I doubt it. If People proclaimed him to be the "hottest guy on the planet" or whatever else they'll call it, all the people we were voting AGAINST will be his fans too. That's probably not what Flans wants either. Peace out, K.C. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: <92.428bdd2.263bcdee@aol.com> Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 01:32:30 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Telling "People" Where To Shove It In a message dated 4/29/00 1:28:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time, kless@bgnet.bgsu.edu writes: << BTW, would TMBG fans on this list really want to see Flans as the most beautiful person, and all publicized and on the cover or in the magazine? I doubt it. If People proclaimed him to be the "hottest guy on the planet" or whatever else they'll call it, all the people we were voting AGAINST will be his fans too. That's probably not what Flans wants either. Peace out, K.C. >> Actuall, I'd get a kick out of going to the newstand and seeing Flansy on the cover of "People". I don't think that it would gain them all that much popularity. With all their recent projects (Austin Powers 2, Malcolm In The Middle, etc...), they haven't gained much popularity. At most, some people would probably check them out, but as most people I know, they wouldn't understand/enjoy their music as much as us "real" fans do. Mike "The very existance of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <3a.46c7e5b.263bdb65@aol.com> Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 02:29:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Telling "People" Where To Shove It I say we keep kicking ass. I think we should build pages for voting for Linnel and Rolf Conant if that would work. Well thats just my Opinion. Pyro ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200004290701.DAA10363@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: MP3's From: Ana Ng Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 07:01:17 GMT Will the free MP3's from emusic play on a Macintosh? Anybody out there know what player will work? I'm dying to hear "Four of Two" !!! http://content.emusic.com/free/406995/They_Might_Be_Giants-Four_Of_Two-1-Four_Of_Two.mp3 f ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000429142648.12178.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: 4 Of 2: The old vs. the new Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 14:26:48 GMT Well, I just heard the new version of "4 Of 2" offered by Emusic, and I must say that it's a significantly changed song. The stopped clock is still there, as are many of the lyrics, but the entire attitude has changed. It used to be a creepy kind of song about a guy being driven insane by a clock, and now it's a humourous piece about a guy not realizing he's been stood up because of a stopped clock. I like it both ways, and the final verse of the new version is excellent, but I kind of wish John had developed the potential it had as a pseudo-horror song ("horror" in the sense of, say, Edgar Allan Poe, not of slasher films). Aside from the shift in mood, there are a few other interesting changes to note: --While the demo version was inspired by the clock at Twenty-Second and Sixth, it isn't actually ABOUT that clock; the lyrics clearly mention "the clock on the wall." --Also, the demo not only emphasizes that the clock isn't moving, but that the singer isn't moving, either, perhaps implying that time really HAS stopped. In the new version, however, although the clock does not move, it is obvious to everyone but the singer that "time...is marching on!" --In the demo, the clock not moving is frustrating. In the new version, it's reassuring. Any other thoughts on this song? -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <019801bfb1fe$c6931240$238e7cce@lanio> From: "Lani O." Subject: Re: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 10:17:17 -0700 -----Original Message----- From: EmarZero@aol.com >mail to People for disqualifying votes that were gained by *CHEATING* is >pretty silly. It makes us look bad, and more importantly, it makes the Johns >look bad. > >Now, either we get a robot that's more convincing, or we gracefully bow out. [snip] I haven't been able to keep up with ALL the discussion, but didn't we say at the beginning that this voting thing wasn't technically a "robot"? Not that I understand such things... But People just says "don't use robots" and "vote early and often". So *technically*, as I understand it, we didn't *really* break any rules. In fact, we did all we could to follow that second one. But you're right -- sending out hate mail and getting ourselves all worked up is just counterproductive. It's a for-fun poll (which is one reason People shouldn't have excluded our votes anyway!), and we were cheating. We were cheating without breaking the rules. We rock! Of course, if someone revised the definition of "robot" somewhere along this thread, I'm just talking nonsense now and should be thoroughly ignored. Thank you. -Lani O. ~There's a place for those who love their poetry -- It's just across from the sign that says "Pro's only."~ -TMBG www.geocities.com/~abutterfly Have you visited www.thehungersite.com today? ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 11:26:26 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: There's always next year... Message-ID: <11918-390B2952-13573@storefull-245.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Okay, at first, I was pretty pissed about Flansy being taken off. But those who have suggested we calm down and stuff have gotten to me. I'm over it now. However, I do have a proposal for next year's poll: As soon as we find out when it starts, we post messages to every single online TMBG fan community about it. Then, the day it opens, we all begin voting. We continue to do so every day until the poll closes. No robots or anything. Just the will power of the fans. There's quite a few TMBG fans online, and I think that with this method, if we can all agree to vote as often as possible, next year's TMBG candidate will probably make it to #10 (at least). Now all we need to decide on is who we vote for. I'd say Flansy again, 'cause so far, he's been removed from both of the major polls we got him on. Linnell is the only one who's ridden it till it was over (placing at a final position of 9, which isn't bad at all). And next time, if they decide to remove Flansy again, since we wouldn't have been using any robots, we'll have a REAL reason to get mad. And believe me, I will. Dexter Flansburgh http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb http://www.hello.to/Bootlegs (my tape trade page) ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 15:11:24 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: There's always next year... Wasn't Linnell removed from the thing for a bit last year too? My memory might not be right... -Amber the Transcendent "No! Not the cheese grater!"-The result of eating 5 boxes of peeps with one of my friends ------------------------------ Message-ID: <009201bfb21c$3d694200$43f12581@cannon10> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: Re: TMBG: Barking... Death.. Squirrel...?!?! Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 13:48:12 -0700 I've never heard of it....but then again you cant always assume it really is TMBG. One time i looked up TMBG on Napster and there was a bunch of DVDA songs (South Park) that were labled TMBG and I've D/L'd stuff that turned out to be Oingo Boingo. Maybe it is though i could be wrong, offer it up to us so we can all hear. Erich >Okay.. I just downloaded this song (Non-sequitur: GO FLANS!) called "Barking >Death Squirrel" off Napster.. And lo and behold it says it's by TMBG. And >that's why I DLed it in the first place.. But I digress. Where in a >handbasket did this song COME from? Has anyone even heard of it? It's scary!! > > >Lydia >Baffled and Terrified by TMBG Since 1837 > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 01:12:11 +0300 From: Jarmo Lundgren Subject: Re: TMBG: Barking... Death.. Squirrel...?!?! >I've never heard of it....but then again you cant always assume it really is >TMBG. One time i looked up TMBG on Napster and there was a bunch of DVDA >songs (South Park) that were labled TMBG and I've D/L'd stuff that turned >out to be Oingo Boingo. Maybe it is though i could be wrong, offer it up to >us so we can all hear. Hey, I also downloaded a tune called "Fish Heads" on Napster that was labeled as a TMG tune. After a couple of weeks I found out that the song was actually by Barnes and Barnes. I heard it playing in a local pub and went to ask, were they playing TMBG there. The guy had never heard of They and showed me a compilation album cover called something like "The humour music part 2" or something like that... ;) About Napster (actually I used Macster, but anyhow...), despite its quite the opposite reputation, I ended up buying two TMBG albums and the John Linnell's solo album because of hunting for some TMBG songs with that horrible copyrightpiracycriminalmp3communistmafia program. I managed to download every "Long Tall Weekend" tune with Macster. If you have any suggestions, how could I buy that album without a credit card and in Finland, suggestions are welcome ;) -- ---> jabtronic / http://commie.oy.com "We Make Listening Complicated!" (tm) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20000429181254.00a89630@mmc.marymt.edu> Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 18:13:32 -0400 From: Christina Rockwell Subject: Re: TMBG: Barking... Death.. Squirrel...?!?! I would also think though hardcore TMBG fans that we are that you would know by the title whether its tmbg or not...i know i do At 06:12 PM 4/29/00, you wrote: >>I've never heard of it....but then again you cant always assume it really is >>TMBG. One time i looked up TMBG on Napster and there was a bunch of DVDA >>songs (South Park) that were labled TMBG and I've D/L'd stuff that turned >>out to be Oingo Boingo. Maybe it is though i could be wrong, offer it up to >>us so we can all hear. > >Hey, I also downloaded a tune called "Fish Heads" on Napster that was >labeled as a TMG tune. After a couple of weeks I found out that the song >was actually by Barnes and Barnes. I heard it playing in a local pub and >went to ask, were they playing TMBG there. The guy had never heard of They >and showed me a compilation album cover called something like "The humour >music part 2" or something like that... ;) > >About Napster (actually I used Macster, but anyhow...), despite its quite >the opposite reputation, I ended up buying two TMBG albums and the John >Linnell's solo album because of hunting for some TMBG songs with that >horrible copyrightpiracycriminalmp3communistmafia program. > >I managed to download every "Long Tall Weekend" tune with Macster. If you >have any suggestions, how could I buy that album without a credit card and >in Finland, suggestions are welcome ;) > >-- > >---> jabtronic / http://commie.oy.com > "We Make Listening Complicated!" (tm) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 01:17:47 +0300 From: Jarmo Lundgren Subject: Re: TMBG: MP3's >Will the free MP3's from emusic play on a Macintosh? Anybody out >there know what player will work? I'm dying to hear "Four of Two" !!! > >http://content.emusic.com/free/406995/They_Might_Be_Giants-Four_Of_Two-1-Four_Of_Two.mp3 >f Quicktime 4 Player is a choice. http://www.apple.com/quicktime I myself use the marvellous tiny freeware proggy called SoundApp. It's small (the PowerPC download package is about a half MB), fast and reliable, and can convert various sound formats to - ehm - various sound formats. ;) http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~franke/SoundApp/ -- ---> jab / commie http://commie.oy.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 01:21:02 +0300 From: Jarmo Lundgren Subject: Re: TMBG: Barking... Death.. Squirrel...?!?! >I would also think though hardcore TMBG fans that we are that you >would know by the title whether its tmbg or not...i know i do Ha! Hard to be harcore, if it's impossible to get Their albums here... Haven't heard new stuff since Factory Showroom... And those MP3's I mentioned. And, anyhow, I'm not hardcore anything. -- ---> jab / commie http://commie.oy.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.20000430054550.007d1ab0@markside.com> Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 05:45:50 -0500 From: PCD2 Subject: TMBG: New Site http://2pi.iceshop.org ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <84.4933b7b.263cc513@aol.com> Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 19:06:59 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: You Were Spiraling YWS has 2 MP3s available at MP3.com. I think it has "This Is The Road" and "Your Excellent Body". PR Mega ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 22:25:52 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: 4 Of 2: The old vs. the new In a message dated 4/29/00 10:30:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > Any other thoughts on this song? In the demo, he's late. In the final version, he's early :) Lydia Observant Although Simple Since 1837 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000e01bfb259$cc3322c0$a600a8c0@icka.net> From: "The Bastard Snowman" Subject: TMBG: I might be giant, too. Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 22:08:45 -0600 Ok. I have an mp3 of 'Deep Blue Something's' 'I Might be Giant Too', but it's an old live one. Does anyone have the one they play on wiredplanet.com? It's got an extra verse. Must...have...the song! :0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my NEW AND IMPROVED web page... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ AND a MUSH, too... (Based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.) telnet://mush1.nis4u.com:4201 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #28-26 ******************************