Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #29-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 29, Number 1 Monday, 1 May 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Incredibly Obscure TMBG Reference TMBG: General request for setlists TMBG: How 'bout that show Re: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. Re: TMBG: Re: Incredibly Obscure TMBG Reference Re: TMBG: Err... where went bryce's page? Re: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 01:23:38 -0500 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <8egjgs$1ho4$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Incredibly Obscure TMBG Reference Peter Jennings, on the national news, used the word "the." This is a blatant reference to Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head, as I could tell from the sly expression on his face. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 10:26:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: General request for setlists Message-ID: Hi there, I know that pretty much all the shows this year have been very well documented and I think thats great! A lot of cool mp3s popping up and good show reports (Thanks Kevin Sullivan!). I just wanted to make a general request that if people have a setlist to a show that they send a transcription (and scan even!) along to web@tmbg.net. It would be very helpful to our keeping everything up to date. I am not always able to catch them on the list and NG and forward them myself... Thanks! -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ "Wait a minute! This submarine turns you into children!" - Dave Foley ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 19:20:23 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <390CBFB7.EF98E405@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: How 'bout that show Well, I went to the SUNY Binghmton show last night. Not too bad. Probably one of the bigger crowds I've seen at one of their shows. (of course, I've only ever been to 3) But who ever booked that opening band was possibly out of their minds. This is just my opinion now, but, they we're awful. It didn't help that their music inspired a mosh pit and this apparent urge to pass the dude. Anyhoo, the Giants were great. I personally liked their new rendition of "Istanbul" Was anyone else there? -A ps-thanks for pointing out who Scott Cohen is. :o) I've still never heard of him. oh well. :o) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 23:12:19 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. Message-ID: <20000430.231220.-3879923.0.Crystaviel@juno.com> From: Crystaviel A Lockier >Okay, guys... here's where I say my piece. We need to be above this. Sure, >the Scott Fuckin' Cohen fan club may have ratted our shit out. No biggie. >Pick up and move on. But PLEASE, let's be adults about it. Writing hate >mail to People for disqualifying votes that were gained by *CHEATING* is >pretty silly. It makes us look bad, and more importantly, it makes the Johns >look bad. In my PERSONAL opinion, numbers of people sending mail to People would show without a doubt that there truly is a large number of people who are voting for John Flansburgh, and that it's not three geeks with a bot just trying to obliterate Britney, as they apparently believe to be true. If nobody says anything, they're just going to assume that the kid(s) with the bot just moved on to a new game, and that nobody really cares about Flans (not to mention Lin for that matter, since they are inextricably and irreversably affiliated in the minds of the public) Britney fans and their ilk most often have a herd mentality which mandates that you're only cool if you do what everyone else is doing. More complex people (if I may be egotistical for a moment) like most of us are usually intelligent enough not to have to move as a herd or die starved and alone, so that handicaps our more famous cohorts in such polls as this. I see the actions taken here, and the behaviors of some irate They fans, as parity. That's just my opinion. And this *is* an opinion poll, isn't it? Crystaviel Once the Spring comes... ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 23:35:41 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Incredibly Obscure TMBG Reference Message-ID: <20000430.233555.-3879923.1.Crystaviel@juno.com> From: Crystaviel A Lockier ::Stares:: ::Laughs until purple:: ::Stops, stares:: ::Fades eventually back to normal colour:: On Sun, 30 Apr 2000 01:23:38 -0500 "Polaris" writes: > Peter Jennings, on the national news, used the word "the." This is a > blatant reference to Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head, as I > could tell > from the sly expression on his face. ::Moves on to next email, appreciative:: Crystaviel Once the Spring comes... ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 23:45:39 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8eiul4$2jmt$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Err... where went bryce's page? the hanged man wrote in message news:4.1.20000428155924.009b6620@oscar.cc.gatech.edu... > Out of curiosity... in what way were you violating AOL's ToS? Get this: they didn't say. I read through the whole thing, and the only offenses it mentioned were: (1) smutty content, (2) asking other members for their passwords, and (3) pretending to be someone else, none of which I was doing. Of course, it also says that AOL determines "in its sole discretion" what's inappropriate content. Basically, it boils down to this: - members.aol.com/brycegh: free with $19.95/month subscription. - people.aol.com: a bit more money than that. Bryce But they're like the People chained up in the cave. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000501040959.82737.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 04:09:59 GMT Crystaviel: > >Okay, guys... here's where I say my piece. We need to be above this. >Sure, > >the Scott Fuckin' Cohen fan club may have ratted our shit out. No >biggie. > >Pick up and move on. But PLEASE, let's be adults about it. Writing >hate > >mail to People for disqualifying votes that were gained by *CHEATING* is > > >pretty silly. It makes us look bad, and more importantly, it makes the >Johns > >look bad. > >In my PERSONAL opinion, numbers of people sending mail to People would >show without a doubt that there truly is a large number of people who are >voting for John Flansburgh, and that it's not three geeks with a bot just >trying to obliterate Britney, as they apparently believe to be true. You have a point. Still, it isn't the letter writing in and of itself that I think is a bad idea, but rather the writing of letters that contain unnecessary strong language (which will probably just be ignored), misrepresent the facts (i.e., acting like Flans was taken off as part of some hidden agenda, ignoring the fact that there was cheating involved), and using ridiculous exaggeration (like the guy who claimed that a million people would boycott People because of this). If someone wants to THINK for a few hours, and THEN write a letter to People, that would be fine. As anyone who knows me could tell you, I've done plenty of rash things myself, and they rarely bring positive results. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #29-1 *****************************