Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #29-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 29, Number 17 Wednesday, 17 May 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Working Undercover Re: TMBG: Working Undercover Re: TMBG: The first WUFTM owner ever Re: TMBG: The first WUFTM owner ever TMBG: grumble grumble TMBG: Cahoots & Chat Re: TMBG: Cahoots & Chat Re:TMBG: Cahoots & Chat Re: TMBG: Cahoots & Chat Re:TMBG: Cahoots & Chat Re: TMBG: Cahoots & Chat Re: TMBG: The first WUFTM owner ever TMBG: And Another Thing... TMBG: rolling stone chat page Re: TMBG: The first WUFTM owner ever Re: TMBG: The first WUFTM owner ever TMBG: WUFTM missing song? TMBG: WUFTM Re: TMBG: The first WUFTM owner ever TMBG: LTW PDF NOTES TMBG: Re: LTW PDF NOTES Re: TMBG: Re: LTW PDF NOTES TMBG: Tonight's chat TMBG: Chat? TMBG: Suggestion for tonight's chat... TMBG: Tonight's chat Re: TMBG: Tonight's chat TMBG: anyone that on now Re: TMBG: anyone that on now TMBG: Radio Stations TMBG: 4/27 Webcast Re: TMBG: anyone that on now Re: TMBG: I'm the Substitute Now mp3 Re: TMBG: WUFTM missing song? TMBG: Thoughts on the WUFTM deal... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <200005160715.DAA54555@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <008201bfbf13$6f5fdae0$29946420@cannon10> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Working Undercover Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 01:47:55 -0700 I just got the new EP...the night before WOO HOO! my thoughts (if anyone cares) Rest A While was sweet, new version rocks. Working Undercover, love it, good song. Human Head-- Very different sound, unique, loved it. Empty Bottle Collector-- gotta love instrumentals, sounds like something from Malcolm in the Middle, maybe it is. On the Drag-- the only song i have a qualm about, its good, i lke it but i think i liked the origianl, it rocked harder. All in all i love it and am excited for the actual CD and THE NEW ALBUM!! Erich ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3921489B.7BE7D3BA@home.com> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 08:09:47 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: Working Undercover Dang it, Working Undercover is the plodding "disco" version... That's disappointing. It's like, the chorus starts building and BUILDING with the horns and then it just screeches to a halt for the tra la las. I loved the original live rockin' version, I'd hoped the DAS version was an experiment... this shoulda been the "Rest Awhile" EP. The original version of On The Drag rocked HARDER than this? I have to disagree. It rocked differently. But I love that, Human Head, Radio TMBG #2, and Rest Awhile.... and good LORD, Robot Parade is... unexpected. Interesting. :) It's obviously the "robots built by the children of the damned" version. Destin http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ TMBG Visual Discography: Stagnant for nearly ONE YEAR! Erich Cannon wrote: > I just got the new EP...the night before WOO HOO! my thoughts (if anyone > cares) > > Rest A While was sweet, new version rocks. > Working Undercover, love it, good song. > Human Head-- Very different sound, unique, loved it. > Empty Bottle Collector-- gotta love instrumentals, sounds like something > from Malcolm in the Middle, maybe it is. > On the Drag-- the only song i have a qualm about, its good, i lke it but i > think i liked the origianl, it rocked harder. > > All in all i love it and am excited for the actual CD and THE NEW ALBUM!! > > Erich -- Destin Berthelot destin@bigfoot.com "The fourth dimension is just one big crazy do-not-enter clambake jungle of weirdity! And how does it work? Never mind!" -The Tick ------------------------------ Date: 16 May 2000 06:17:35 -0800 Message-ID: <-1253664643ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: The first WUFTM owner ever On Tuesday, July 4, 1939, PRMega@aol.com wrote: >Well, these MP3s have been available for the past 54 minutes, and I am proud >to say that I own the Working Undercover For The Man mp3s. As far as I know, >I'm the first one...hehe....feel my excitement. Holy crud! Is it the 16th already? I gotta get mine when I get home. When you downloaded it, did they give you any indication that you would be receiving the CD in the mail? Or do you just have to guess if you are one of the first (whatever amount it was)? Obviously, anyone who orders it in the first couple of days (...weeks?...months?) will qualify for the disc. Do they give you any confirmation or are you just suppose to wait 4-6 weeks and see if it shows up? -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <200005161329.JAA08768@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: The first WUFTM owner ever Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:29:29 -0400 (EDT) I just downloaded WUCFTM about 5 minutes ago and it said "You qualify for the CD, you will get it in the mail in 4 weeks" (that was paraphrased). So I guess they're still giving out CDs. I noticed that the EP costs $7.99 and there is no shipping cost, even though I'm getting the CD in the mail. I wonder if they'll charge me shipping for it? > > On Tuesday, July 4, 1939, PRMega@aol.com wrote: > >Well, these MP3s have been available for the past 54 minutes, and I am proud > >to say that I own the Working Undercover For The Man mp3s. As far as I know, > >I'm the first one...hehe....feel my excitement. > > Holy crud! Is it the 16th already? I gotta get mine when I get home. When you downloaded it, did they give you any indication that you would be receiving the CD in the mail? Or do you just have to guess if you are one of the first (whatever amount it was)? Obviously, anyone who orders it in the first couple of days (...weeks?...months?) will qualify for the disc. Do they give you any confirmation or are you just suppose to wait 4-6 weeks and see if it shows up? > > -B O N G O > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: grumble grumble Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:59:13 -0400 I was all excited to download my copy of the EP - I had forgotten all about it - when my joy was crushed. What's the point of owning a Discover card when I can't use it on emusic's site?! *Disheartened sigh* Amy :) My sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.20000516100831.009db5b0@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:10:20 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: TMBG: Cahoots & Chat Hey guys, So, has anyone figured out the whole Cahoots thing yet. The instructions on the webpage are severely lacking... do we just go to the rollingstone.com tmbg page and enter the voice chat type thing? Or what? Anyone with a clue would be appreciated. :) -thm- * -the hanged man- email: thehangedman@death-star.com * * web: http://thehangedman.digitaldriveway.com AIM: THM42 * * BBS: telnet://solace.digitaldriveway.com ICQ: 10933909 * * "Every day is a good day" -Zen Proverb * ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Organization: Marymount College Tarrytown Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:23:48 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Cahoots & Chat Message-ID: <17CF74094B@mmc.marymt.edu> Cahoots allows you to see (chat with and talk to) people who is on the same webpage as you at the same time. So we all go to this rolling stone page and there is prolly going to be a special room we will all be invited into. I have been using cahoots since the day the email came, and its fun. I have been talking to people who have been at the same site I have been at and its a good way to find out other peoples interest, since they are there with you. and the representatives are very helpful also, (almost to the point of annoyance;-) ) Chrissy > Hey guys, > > So, has anyone figured out the whole Cahoots thing yet. The instructions > on the webpage are severely lacking... do we just go to the > rollingstone.com tmbg page and enter the voice chat type thing? Or what? > Anyone with a clue would be appreciated. :) > > -thm- > > * -the hanged man- email: thehangedman@death-star.com * > * web: http://thehangedman.digitaldriveway.com AIM: THM42 * > * BBS: telnet://solace.digitaldriveway.com ICQ: 10933909 * > * "Every day is a good day" -Zen Proverb * > ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0005169584.AA958487699@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:34:57 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Cahoots & Chat The Hanged Dude sez: >>Hey guys, >So, has anyone figured out the whole Cahoots thing yet. The instructions >on the webpage are severely lacking... do we just go to the >rollingstone.com tmbg page and enter the voice chat type thing? Or what? >Anyone with a clue would be appreciated. :) > >-thm- << As far as I can tell, first you go here: http://www.cahoots.com/hpage.html and d/l their software (they say what it's for), and they have a link to the Rolling Stone site, which, just in case, is: http://www.rollingstone.com/sections/special/tmbg/chat.asp I thought it was going to be hard to find what they wanted you to have, but they're very plain about it. Thank God. Now I just hope it actually WORKS !! See you in CyberSpace - - - Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: 16 May 2000 07:35:55 -0800 Message-ID: <-1253659943ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Cahoots & Chat On Wednesday, July 5, 1939, the hanged man wrote: >Hey guys, > >So, has anyone figured out the whole Cahoots thing yet. The instructions >on the webpage are severely lacking... do we just go to the >rollingstone.com tmbg page and enter the voice chat type thing? Or what? >Anyone with a clue would be appreciated. :) > >-thm- Good luck. Unfortunately, as a Mac user, I'll be banned from this chat. Is there any way for the rest of us to hear the chat afterward? Since its not a text chat I doubt their will be a transcript but how about some kind of audio file? I hope you guys have some good questions lined up. If you can't think of any I'd be happy to offer some. Funny thing is Linnell repeatedly described TMBG fans as "shy". I'm not really shy but I still would be a little nervous about participating in this Cahoots thing. Thank God I have a Mac and don't have to worry about it. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0005169584.AA958487976@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:39:32 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Cahoots & Chat p.s.: Actually, I just noticed (duurrrrr) the Rolling Stone page about the TMBG chat has a "download Cahoots FREE" button right on their page. That's what you get for starting at the beginning like a good little Rationalist. Or is that Sheep?? Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.20000516103303.009eda10@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:34:31 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: Cahoots & Chat > Good luck. Unfortunately, as a Mac user, I'll be banned from this chat. >Is there any way for the rest of us to hear the chat afterward? Since its >not a text chat I doubt their will be a transcript but how about some kind >of audio file? I hope you guys have some good questions lined up. If you >can't think of any I'd be happy to offer some. Actually, that sounds like a darned good idea... how about anyone who can think of good questions write them up and send them to the newsgroup so that those if us who *do* make it into the chat will have lots of meaningful questions to ask. -thm- * -the hanged man- email: thehangedman@death-star.com * * web: http://thehangedman.digitaldriveway.com AIM: THM42 * * BBS: telnet://solace.digitaldriveway.com ICQ: 10933909 * * "Every day is a good day" -Zen Proverb * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <39215F85.176ECFBD@mailandnews.com> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:47:33 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: The first WUFTM owner ever Shipping cost is included in the $7.99, and they said (in an email I got after I made the purchase) we'll get our CDs in 3-4 weeks. The first 10,000 orders get a CD, so no worries... they won't run out for a good while. It took The Cure several weeks to sell out of 5,000 live EPs sold online back in 1997, and they've sold a hell of a lot more records than TMBG. No one's commented on the apparent EP cover art, which I think is pretty darn cool. Keen font, of which I'm sure someone more resourceful than I will make a TTF file, and a handdrawn "disguise kit." Looking forward to a tangible version of that. Incidentally, my WUFTM EP only cost me $2.94, cos I somehow had $5.05 in store credit/gift certificate. Woohoo! Destin Bongo wrote: > On Tuesday, July 4, 1939, PRMega@aol.com wrote: > >Well, these MP3s have been available for the past 54 minutes, and I am proud > >to say that I own the Working Undercover For The Man mp3s. As far as I know, > >I'm the first one...hehe....feel my excitement. > > Holy crud! Is it the 16th already? I gotta get mine when I get home. When you downloaded it, did they give you any indication that you would be receiving the CD in the mail? Or do you just have to guess if you are one of the first (whatever amount it was)? Obviously, anyone who orders it in the first couple of days (...weeks?...months?) will qualify for the disc. Do they give you any confirmation or are you just suppose to wait 4-6 weeks and see if it shows up? > > -B O N G O -- Destin Berthelot destin@bigfoot.com "The fourth dimension is just one big crazy do-not-enter clambake jungle of weirdity! And how does it work? Never mind!" -The Tick ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.20000516104338.009eb710@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:44:31 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: TMBG: And Another Thing... Anyone know when the webcast starts and why I can't find an actual link to it on the Rollingstone.com page? -thm- * -the hanged man- email: thehangedman@death-star.com * * web: http://thehangedman.digitaldriveway.com AIM: THM42 * * BBS: telnet://solace.digitaldriveway.com ICQ: 10933909 * * "Every day is a good day" -Zen Proverb * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001701bfbf4a$61ad5da0$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: rolling stone chat page Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:21:16 -0400 http://www.rollingstone.com/sections/special/tmbg/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <39216B80.5FEB@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:38:40 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: The first WUFTM owner ever First one? Ummm...sorry I downloaded it before midnight. Hee hee. Second isn't bad considering I'm a sneaky lil' bastard... -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ Date: 16 May 2000 08:45:12 -0800 Message-ID: <-1253655786ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: The first WUFTM owner ever On Wednesday, July 5, 1939, Destin Berthelot wrote: >Incidentally, my WUFTM EP only cost me $2.94, cos I somehow had >$5.05 in store credit/gift certificate. Woohoo! That happened to me with LTW. I think maybe you get a credit the first time you use it. By the way does the WUFTM EP come with a PDF of the CD booklet like LTW did? -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <6d.3e2ec8c.2652d723@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:53:55 EDT Subject: TMBG: WUFTM missing song? From the Emusic newsletter: {Scheduled for a May 16th release, this downloadable album will include all new songs; "Working Undercover for The Man", "Empty Bottle Collector", "Human Head", "It's Not A Game", "Rest Awhile" and a version of the "Radio They Might Be Giants" theme} Did anyone else notice the absence of "It's Not A Game", or did I just get screwed? PR Mega ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004001bfbf5b$0507f540$a600a8c0@icka.net> From: "The Bastard Snowman" Subject: TMBG: WUFTM Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:19:44 -0600 First: No, I didn't receive a copy of 'It's not a Game' either. Second: I got my copy just after Midnight Eastern time, too. :0) Third: I think the whole album pretty much rocks. So...uhm...that's it. :0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my NEW AND IMPROVED web page... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ AND a MUSH, too... (Based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.) telnet://mush1.nis4u.com:4201 http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/tf/ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:40:06 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <8fs0ga$24hl$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The first WUFTM owner ever Bongo wrote in message news:-1253655786ggr@wlg.com... > > > On Wednesday, July 5, 1939, Destin Berthelot wrote: > > >Incidentally, my WUFTM EP only cost me $2.94, cos I somehow had > >$5.05 in store credit/gift certificate. Woohoo! > > That happened to me with LTW. I think maybe you get a credit the first time you use it. By the way does the WUFTM EP come with a PDF of the CD booklet like LTW did? I've gotten a $5 credit twice since I registered at emusic, they've run some promos and if you're registered you get them. As for a cover PDF, I don't know. You'll get the cover art with the free CD. They might eventually make a PDF of the cover art for those mp3-only downloaders, but it took a few months for the LTW one to be posted up. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: 16 May 2000 10:52:45 -0800 Message-ID: <-1253648133ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: LTW PDF NOTES Last week, I finally got around to opening up the LTW PDF. Has anyone actually tried to print it out and construct it in booklet form as intended? If you have, you either had a good laugh or got really frustrated. I'm planning on sending a list of the amazing errors in logic committed with that booklet to emusic. Was that thing put together by a blind man? If you don't know what I'm talking about, try to make a booklet out of it. I dare you. By the way if any of you have the official CD version that they gave away at their shows, let me know how many pages the booklet has. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:28:58 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <8fs3bq$26g4$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: LTW PDF NOTES Bongo wrote in message news:-1253648133ggr@wlg.com... > > Last week, I finally got around to opening up the LTW PDF. Has anyone actually tried to print it out and construct it in booklet form as intended? If you have, you either had a good laugh or got really frustrated. I'm planning on sending a list of the amazing errors in logic committed with that booklet to emusic. Was that thing put together by a blind man? If you don't know what I'm talking about, try to make a booklet out of it. I dare you. By the way if any of you have the official CD version that they gave away at their shows, let me know how many pages the booklet has. The CD version was a promo, it only had the cover, there wasn't a booklet. In fact, I don't think the booklet was designed until a few weeks after the release. As for the PDF file, if you mean that it's too small, you have to switch the ppaper alignment. If you mean assembling it, what the general consensus was you print it all out them paste pages together. It's assumed that's the best they could do as a PDF. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: 16 May 2000 12:35:47 -0800 Message-ID: <-1253641952ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: LTW PDF NOTES On Wednesday, July 5, 1939, Jay G. wrote: >The CD version was a promo, it only had the cover, there wasn't a booklet. >In fact, I don't think the booklet was designed until a few weeks after the >release. As for the PDF file, if you mean that it's too small, you have to >switch the ppaper alignment. If you mean assembling it, what the >general consensus was you print it all out them paste pages together. >It's assumed that's the best they could do as a PDF. > >-Jay They could have done a lot better. The biggest screw-up is that built it in what as known as "reader's spreads" in other words, page 2 connects to page 3, page 4 connects to page 5, ect. That's the order you *read* it in but to make the book they would have needed to build it as "printer's spreads". Each page of the PDF should have been like this: Back Cover & Front Cover, Pg2 & Pg9, Pg 8 & Pg 3. etc. Otherwise you'll never get it in a book form unless you cut out each individual page. And the instructions show them being cut out as 2 page spreads and being folded in the middle. Another oversight was that they made it a 10 page book. You can't do that. This type of book needs to have a the total number of pages divisible by four. As they have it, you need to have a single page, floating by itself in the middle of the book. Another aggravation is that they didn't center each spread on the pages of the PDF. They just threw them anywhere. To make this look like a real booklet, you need to print one side first, turn the paper over and then print the other side. But because of the sloppiness of the project, you'll have to center the spreads yourself. Also, it would have been nice if the had the image of each page extend slightly past the dotted cut lines, otherwise you'll end up with white paper showing where the image ends OR you'll have to cut INTO the booklet and they already built it slightly too small. I know all this might not make sense but if you try it, you'll see exactly what I mean. Finally, with PDF you can create small sized files with razor-sharp type and in the case of the LTW booklet, the images could have been done so they printed sharp as well The only limit to the quality would have been your printer. All images and type in the book are lo-res and blurry looking. They might as well provided the whole booklet as 72dpi jpegs. They completely defeated the purpose of creating a PDF. I'm going to try to fix their sloppy, illogical files and print out the book correctly. I can't improve the resolution or the floating center page but I can make it a helluva lot better. Of course I realize that they could have NOT provided a booklet at all but if they bothered to do it, they might as well have taken a little extra time to do it right. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 17:03:54 EDT Subject: TMBG: Tonight's chat If you see "Hooper_X" in the room with ya, that'd be me! Say hello! ------------------------------ From: Mbrosendale@cs.com Message-ID: <55.5fbf89c.265319d3@cs.com> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 17:38:27 EDT Subject: TMBG: Chat? Has the "cyber doors" actually opened on Cahoots? I think I followed all the instructions (opened the http://www.rollingstone.com/sections/special/tmbg/chat2.asp page, launched Cahoots) but there is nothing showing up under the "currently visiting" spot where TMBG is supposed to be. Am I doing something wrong or am I jumping the gun here? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3921D587.E9B9B824@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:11:06 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Suggestion for tonight's chat... For those of you going to chat with the Johns tonight, I was thinking that it might be nice to mention to Flans that we did our best to get him on the People poll this year (...so he won't wonder why Linnell made it and he didn't. I don't want the guy's feelings to be hurt.) -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3921D65C.35381C10@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:14:39 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Tonight's chat By the way, if its possible to somehow record the chat, I'd love to hear it. (I'm using a Mac.) Otherwise, I'll be looking forward to a detailed account tomorrow. Have fun kids! -B O N G O (On my way to d/l WUFTM now!) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004201bfbf8e$80bb8f20$c4946420@cannon10> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: Re: TMBG: Tonight's chat Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:28:52 -0700 I can do it...and I will. > By the way, if its possible to somehow record >the chat, I'd love to hear it. (I'm using a Mac.) >Otherwise, I'll be looking forward to a detailed >account tomorrow. Have fun kids! > >-B O N G O >(On my way to d/l WUFTM now!) > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000a01bfbf90$ca40bf60$c4946420@cannon10> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: anyone that on now Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:45:15 -0700 is it just me or are they having sound troubles? i just get pops and stuff. dont know if its them or me. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000a01bfbf92$1dd82c20$3c8e7cce@lanio> From: "Lani O." Subject: Re: TMBG: anyone that on now Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:54:44 -0700 -----Original Message----- >is it just me or are they having sound troubles? i just get pops and stuff. >dont know if its them or me. > THANK YOU! I've been totally panicking because I am just hearing garbage sounds and I can't get any of the moderators to answer my questions. Of course, it might just be us two...anyone else? Lani O. ~There's a place for those who love their poetry -- It's just across from the sign that says "Pros only."~ -TMBG www.geocities.com/~abutterfly Have you visited www.thehungersite.com today? ------------------------------ From: csxt4290@wapsmail.com Message-Id: Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 19:14:15 -0500 (CDT) Subject: TMBG: Radio Stations WAPS "The Summit" 91.3 FM ( http://www.wapsfm.com ) ( http://www.913thesummit.com ) Played "Don't Let's Start" a few times in late '98 havent heard much else Giant out of them. they claim to play one TMBG song on the Friday Night Block Party, but never caught one yet. Steve M. **--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--** Steve McMullen Akron,Ohio AOL IM: "CSX 4290" ********************CSX-Quality In Motion******************* ==========================My Website======================= >>--> http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/csx4290/ <--<< * ------------------------------------------------------------ =====CSX New Castle Subdivision Free Email Community====== >>--> http://www.onelist.com/community/CSXnewcastlesub <--<< * ------------------------------------------------------------ ======Railroad Signaling System Free Email Community====== >>--> http://www.onelist.com/community/BlockTower <--<< * ------------------------------------------------------------ ======Wheeling & Lake Erie Rwy. Free Email Community====== >>--> http://www.onelist.com/community/WLE <--<< * ------------------------------------------------------------ ====Conrail (NS) Dearborn Division Free Email Community==== >>--> http://www.onelist.com/group/CRdearborndiv <--<< *******************csxt4290@wapsmail.com********************* ************************************************************ $$$$$$$$ I AM PAID TO SURF THE NET!! ARE YOU???? $$$$$$$$ +----------------------------------------------------------+ | Is That YOUR Final Answer???? | +----------------------------------------------------------+ It's Time to Take Advantage of the Internet. Get PAID! Join AllAdvantage.com at: http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=LGZ-102 ********************************************************** .................................... Get your own free email account from http://www.wapsfm.com ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <7c.59b1a2a.26535035@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 21:30:29 EDT Subject: TMBG: 4/27 Webcast Does anyone have a bootleg of the 4/27 bowery show? It's the one they're webcasting. If not, is anyone planning on making a copy of it from the version they have available on the rollingstone site? Jon ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <17.5a76c5f.2653575a@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 22:00:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: anyone that on now In a message dated 5/16/00 4:47:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time, lanio@blarg.net writes: > THANK YOU! I've been totally panicking because I am just hearing garbage > sounds and I can't get any of the moderators to answer my questions. Of > course, it might just be us two...anyone else? > > Lani O. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I was on for the Live chat, got connected to the re-broadcast of the show...2 songs later it conked out. NOW, i can't connect back to Cahoots! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR -A very disgruntled Kreadoubt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000517023844.86349.qmail@www61.linkexchange.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm the Substitute Now mp3 Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 02:38:44 GMT Erich: >I'm confused. Why would this song be called 'Unreliable Narrator'? I recall >Flansburgh saying in a chat that it was his favorite song and "Linnell just >wrote it" soooooo.....Linnell wrote it and Flans probably wanted to sing it >since he loved it so much. Or maybe Linnell wrote the music and Flans the lyrics. Both the music and lyrics to the Substitute Teacher song are far from the best that TMBG has done, however. I mean, I know the Johns' tastes might be different from mine, and the song is a GOOD one, I fail to see how anyone could place it in the top category for TMBG songs. It seems like a song that would really only be at home on the "Malcolm in the Middle" soundtrack, or possibly as an EP B-side. >I'm not a big fan of song titles having two >titles and one being in parenthesis but these two don't seem to condradict >eachother....i guess...i dont know. any thoughts? They don't contradict each other? What does "Substitute Teacher" (or "I'm The Substitute Now," or "I'm The Unreliable Substitute Narrator," or "I'm The Careless Substitute Santa," or whatever they're calling it now) have to do with an unreliable narrator? Or is that why the narrator is unreliable? -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000517035532.94592.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: WUFTM missing song? Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 03:55:32 GMT Derek: >From the Emusic newsletter: > >{Scheduled for a May 16th release, this downloadable album will include all >new songs; "Working Undercover for The Man", "Empty Bottle Collector", >"Human >Head", >"It's Not A Game", "Rest Awhile" and a version of the "Radio They Might Be >Giants" theme} > >Did anyone else notice the absence of "It's Not A Game", or did I just get >screwed? I'm pretty sure "It's Not A Game" wasn't on there. I'm not sure why they decided not to put it on there, but, if you check a more recent Emusic newsletter, you'll find that it mentions "On The Drag" in place of INAG. It's a great version of OTD, but wasn't that supposed to be on the next studio album? Will that make three songs on both the EP and the album, or have they changed their minds? -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 01:28:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: Thoughts on the WUFTM deal... Just got this thing. Here's my thoughts: Rest Awhile: Very neat. It's nice to hear the punky stuff from the Johns... WUFTM: It's there. Hoping this one is better live. Human Head: Very cool. I like the guitar on it... very... Queen-like, IMHO. Empty Bottle Collector: We have a replacement for "Drinking," gang. Something new to intro the band to. On the Drag: One of my FAVORITE DAS tracks, redone in a *heavy* ska-feel. Very very cool, and very very ska-flavored. I'm kinda liking this punk-ska bend the Johns have been on lately... Radio TMBG promos: Well, it's filler... Robot Parade: Holy crap! This kicks my ass! How did this song get to rock so damned hard? The giant cyborg THESE kids are making is a hellish death-machine, I assure you. (for some reason, this song reminds me of "Giant Robot: Birdhead" by the Aquabats...) All in all, I dunno if it was worth $8, but it's cool and fun nonetheless. Hooper_X, hearing John and John read my name just made my YEAR. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #29-17 ******************************