Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #29-18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 29, Number 18 Thursday, 18 May 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Today's Chat TMBG: Re: Today's Chat TMBG: Chat TMBG: Robot Parade Re: TMBG: Re: Today's Chat TMBG: Free Tracks Re: TMBG: Thoughts on the WUFTM deal... Re: TMBG: Free Tracks Re: TMBG: Free Tracks (oops) Re: TMBG: grumble grumble Re: TMBG: grumble grumble TMBG: Re: Suggestion for tonight's chat... TMBG: Review of the "Working Undercover For The Man" EP TMBG: mp3 elitism Re: TMBG: mp3 elitism Re: TMBG: Today's Chat Re: TMBG: Thoughts on the WUFTM deal... TMBG: Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:32:52 -0400 Re: TMBG: grumble grumble TMBG: WUFTM Re: TMBG: mp3 elitism Re: TMBG: grumble grumble Re: TMBG: mp3 elitism TMBG: mp3's and Rolling Stone TMBG: free $10 Emusic credit. Re: TMBG: mp3 elitism Re: TMBG: Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:32:52 -0400 Re: TMBG: mp3 elitism TMBG: Imbalance Re: TMBG: Imbalance Re: TMBG: free $10 Emusic credit. Re: TMBG: mp3's and Rolling Stone Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <001301bfbfd3$beeef800$74956420@cannon10> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Today's Chat Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 00:44:33 -0700 I have taped the chat today so for those of you who missed out (Macs) or those of you who forgot (silly bastards!) and for those of you who want to hear the John's say their handle and gush (like Hooper-X who had about a hundred of his answered and only one of mine without saying my handle) then contact me and i'll work the details...now my thoughts. Whenever the new album was mentioned I thought they seemd to avoid it a bit...they'd say "...well we have our children album and the MintheM soundtrack in the fall" is it just me or isnt there going to be a stuido album this summer? I was thinking the new EP was the new single for the new album...guess its just a stand alone EP...i guess. I did however enjoy it very much and would like anohter one to happen. I cant wait for the MintheM soundtrack and that new cover there doing for the charity album and stuff. k...thats all I guess. Erich ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 05:10:00 -0500 From: John David Crafton Message-ID: <39226FF8.ABD94F00@yahoo.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Today's Chat Erich Cannon wrote: > Whenever the new album was mentioned I thought they seemd to avoid it a > bit... the problem is they can't decide what to put on it. they've got all this new good stuff, but none of it really fits together in album form. and so it goes. and so we must wait.... ------------------------------ From: csxt4290@wapsmail.com Message-Id: Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 07:02:13 -0500 (CDT) Subject: TMBG: Chat I think in the event of my 3rd shift job and the lack of sleep and such, I missed the details when and where how is tonights chat? I get the digest so if someone could CC to me email addy: CSXT4290@wapsmail.com I would appreciate! :)ZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZ [0-|-{] ZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZ:) ^^me asleep now^^ Steve. **--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--** Steve McMullen Akron,Ohio AOL IM: "CSX 4290" ********************CSX-Quality In Motion******************* ==========================My Website======================= >>--> http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/csx4290/ <--<< * ------------------------------------------------------------ =====CSX New Castle Subdivision Free Email Community====== >>--> http://www.onelist.com/community/CSXnewcastlesub <--<< * ------------------------------------------------------------ ======Railroad Signaling System Free Email Community====== >>--> http://www.onelist.com/community/BlockTower <--<< * ------------------------------------------------------------ ======Wheeling & Lake Erie Rwy. Free Email Community====== >>--> http://www.onelist.com/community/WLE <--<< * ------------------------------------------------------------ ====Conrail (NS) Dearborn Division Free Email Community==== >>--> http://www.onelist.com/group/CRdearborndiv <--<< *******************csxt4290@wapsmail.com********************* ************************************************************ $$$$$$$$ I AM PAID TO SURF THE NET!! ARE YOU???? $$$$$$$$ +----------------------------------------------------------+ | Is That YOUR Final Answer???? | +----------------------------------------------------------+ It's Time to Take Advantage of the Internet. Get PAID! Join AllAdvantage.com at: http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=LGZ-102 ********************************************************** .................................... Get your own free email account from http://www.wapsfm.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002001bfc001$37cc4f20$90640818@brln1.ct.home.com> From: "Casey Schreiner" Subject: TMBG: Robot Parade Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:10:04 -0400 The new version of Robot Parade certianly does kick some serious ass. I just hope they don't put this version anywhere near the Children's CD.... Man, that "Hello, Children" in the beginning gave me nightmares last night :) -Casey ------------------------------ Date: 17 May 2000 06:51:05 -0800 Message-ID: <-1253576233ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Today's Chat On Thursday, July 6, 1939, John David Crafton wrote: >Erich Cannon wrote: >> Whenever the new album was mentioned I thought they seemd to avoid it a >> bit... > >the problem is they can't decide what to put on it. they've got all this >new good stuff, but none of it really fits together in album form. and >so it goes. and so we must wait.... > The stuff on Misc. T didn't really fit together and that didn't keep it from being a a great collection. My suspicion is that there's a little more to it than fitting songs together. I haven't heard the Cahoots chat yet but here's my theory: They are keeping the big rock album on hold till they get the right record deal. They're hoping that the MP3 albums, MitM, the children's album and their continued frequent live shows will give them clout when it comes to making a deal with a major label. Instead of leaving Warner/Elektra and having just anyone put out the next CD, they have added some impressive recent accomplishments to their resume. I think that all of those things will be taken in to consideration by prospective labels. Hopefully, their next label will give them more support than Warner/Elektra. I think that's part of deal they're looking for. Meanwhile, we can't say they been silent. They've given the fans tons of material during the wait. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004e01bfc007$1b0241a0$8655dfd1@hmc> From: the4bushes@integritynetwork.net (Jerry Bush) Subject: TMBG: Free Tracks Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:52:12 -0500 Can anyone come up with a list of the free downloadable tracks that have been available since LTW? I would like to be sure I have them all... bushman ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3922B9AB.3C51@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:24:28 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Thoughts on the WUFTM deal... Here's what I think after a full day of listening: Rest A While: Why isn't this called the Rest A While ep? This song is much cooler now than the original version was. WUFTM: I've always loved this song in concert. And all the live recordings of it I have are great as well. I do not like the "plodding" version at all. It's too empty. Needs more than just one or two instruments and Flans singing at a time. Human Head: They sure like these things, don't they? A new song that harkens to A18 past. Good deal. Empty Bottle Collector: Nifty, although I really thought this one would have words when I saw the title. OTD: I like the new version. It's at least equal in rockage to the old one. Radio TMBG 1: The good version. Radio TMBG 2: Ack. Radio TMBG 3: Double Ack. I thought for sure they'd have the country ballad version on there. That was the neatest version so far. Robot Parade: It already was my favorite new song, but this new version is the reason this ep was made. It kicks way too much. I don't even miss my favorite part of the lyrics (electric brains). They better start playing this version live! Hello Children! Why didn't they just throw Unreliable Narrator on there? It wouldn't have fit, but this is just a mish-mosh anyway. Hoping the children's album does contain both Robot Parades... -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:35:59 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: Free Tracks Okay, someone correct me if I miss any or get any wrong. "Hey Everybody" "Robot Parade" "Wake Up Call" "4 of 2" "Exquisite Dead Guy (Live)" That's all I can think of. Spencer. (lurker extraordinaire) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:39:31 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: Free Tracks (oops) Also, if I remember correctly, Linnell released "West Virginia" as a free download. That's it, I think. - Spencer ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <84.56076b6.26543e3a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:26:02 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: grumble grumble In a message dated 5/16/0 9:02:32 AM, you wrote: >I was all excited to download my copy of the EP - I had forgotten all about > >it - when my joy was crushed. What's the point of owning a Discover card > >when I can't use it on emusic's site?! *Disheartened sigh* > > i have a mastercard, but it doesn't even matter to me -- i'm not downloading anything. i really wish they'd put out a friggin cd already instead of all these mp3's. oh sure, call me a bitter luddite if you want, but this is ridiculous. especially now, i'm glad i never downloaded 'long tall weekend'... because my computer just died, and i have possibly lost everything. not just mp3's and other files i downloaded, but also software i registered and paid for... everything, all lost. the computer can't find my hard drive. so now i'm on a computer that doesn't know what an mp3 is. i just wish technology was reliable. ..until it is, i'm going to rely on paying money for music on cd, not my computer. ::sigh:: sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:53:26 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: grumble grumble >i really wish they'd put out a friggin cd already >instead of all these mp3's. Did you catch the part of this new deal that says that if you buy the mp3's, you get a free promotional CD of the same songs in the mail? So you get it better than the rest of us - you get to listen to the CD *without* having already heard all the songs on mp3. I think you can still qualify, they wouldn't have already run out of the things on the second day. Only one way to know - go, go, go! Spencer. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] Of course, he could just think we're all psycho for voting over and over and over again. -A Bongo wrote: > > For those of you going to chat with the Johns > tonight, I was thinking that it might be nice to > mention to Flans that we did our best to get him > on the People poll this year (...so he won't > wonder why Linnell made it and he didn't. I don't > want the guy's feelings to be hurt.) > > -B O N G O From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 15:48:11 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id PAA24497 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 15:48:11 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f239.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.239]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id PAA24488 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 15:48:10 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: (qmail 85827 invoked by uid 0); 17 May 2000 19:47:39 -0000 Message-ID: <20000517194739.85826.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 172.129.255.181 by www.hotmail.com with HTTP; Wed, 17 May 2000 12:47:39 PDT X-Originating-IP: [172.129.255.181] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org, TMBGofftopic@onelist.com Subject: TMBG: Review of the "Working Undercover For The Man" EP Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:47:39 GMT Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Okay, here's my review of the "Working Undercover For The Man" EP. First of all, I have some general comments. I think it is too short, for one thing. True, it is an EP, and the "Why Does The Sun Shine?" EP is even shorter, but I really think they could have given us a little more. Overall, though, my reaction was positive. There are some great songs on here. Rest Awhile--Okay, first of all, why is this the first track, if it's called the "Working Undercover For The Man" EP? That is not a complaint; I think this works better as an opening track than "Working Undercover" would have. It is an odd move, though. Anyway, the song itself is excellent. The arrangement is pretty true to the live recordings I have heard, but this is a good thing. The lyrics are true to TMBG form, and somewhat of a relief coming from a band that has started writing more songs that actually make SENSE! Working Undercover For The Man--I know a lot of people hate this arrangement, but I think it is pretty good. The sound is crisp and clear, and, while it might not be the best showcase for Flansburgh's voice, it is a good song, both lyrically and instrumentally. I Am A Human Head--It did not really grab me upon my first listen, but I have a feeling this one will really grow on me (and not like a fungus). Once again, this is true to TMBG's style, especially in terms of the lyrics. Empty Bottle Collector--As some other people have mentioned, this instrumental piece sounds like something that we might hear on "Malcolm in the Middle." It is a nice little jazzy composition. On The Drag--Whatever happened to "It's Not A Game"? Oh, well. I like the arrangement they used for this one, especially with the distorted guitar and a cappella vocal opening, and the appropriately dragging ending. It could have used a rocking guitar solo, though. Radio TMBG #1-3--While these snippets were fun to hear while actually LISTENING to Radio TMBG, they do not translate well to an official publication. I thought we were supposed to get a NEW version of the theme, not the same three snippets that have been playing on WiredPlanet for months. Robot Parade--Remember when the Johns were discussing the upcoming children's album, and They joked that it would be followed by an explicit version, or something like that? Well, this version of "Robot Parade" is not explicit, but the arrangement does change the whole feel of the song. The shouted "Hello, children!" at the beginning was particularly amusing. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 15:48:27 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id PAA24537 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 15:48:27 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from uta.marymt.edu (uta.marymt.edu [207.10.165.11]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id PAA24526 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 15:48:24 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from rockwell@mmc.marymt.edu) Received: from crockwell (birdh0use@[207.10.165.234]) by uta.marymt.edu (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id QAA02710 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 16:01:39 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from rockwell@mmc.marymt.edu) Message-ID: <007301bfc038$7cdca600$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> From: "Christina Rockwell" To: References: Subject: TMBG: mp3 elitism Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:45:39 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_006E_01BFC016.F3672560" X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4029.2901 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4029.2901 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Christina Rockwell" This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_006E_01BFC016.F3672560 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Does anyone understand that buying the mp3 album and getting the CD is = NOT the same as buying the CD...not everyone can get the stuff because = of lack of access to a credit card...and no not everyone's parents has = them either. Its completely the sign of a coorporations interfering in = even what we do for entertainment. not emusic of tmbg but visa and = mastercard and the companies behind them, not to mention the computer = companies. This is bringing the music out of people's hands, whether = you people wanna believe it or not only 35 percent of American housholds = have a PC. (i had to do the research for a polisci paper) What happens = to johnny with no computer and his parents dont have a credit card? = Should he be excluded because he is poor from buying an album? He has = the 14 dollars for the CD, but not the 300 for a minimum PC nor does his = parents have the credit to get credit cards. This may seem small to = you, and maybe I am just being a PoliSci major about it, but things like = this is what widens the class and economic gap. So now only people with = money for a computer could have gotten and experienced new tmbg songs = for the past 2-3 years? So now TMBG is middle class or upper middle = class music?? Music shouldn't be hierarchical, its a classless art form. = I didn't buy the mp3s either..and I wont. Its a shame when a 15 year = old cant go to a record store with the money he saved mowing lawns and = buy the lp or ep or his favorite bands... NO JOHNNY!! GET A COMPUTER AND = GET A CREDIT CARD!!! ITS THE AMERICAN WAY!! Chrissy (who will scream if someone says that people without computers = dont listen to TMBG anyway) Did you catch the part of this new deal that says that if you buy the = mp3's, you get a free promotional CD of the same songs in the mail? So = you get it better than the rest of us - you get to listen to the CD = *without* having already heard all the songs on mp3. I think you can = still qualify, they wouldn't have already run out of the things on the = second day. Only one way to know - go, go, go! Spencer. ------=_NextPart_000_006E_01BFC016.F3672560 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Does anyone understand that = buying the=20 mp3 album and getting the CD is NOT the same as buying the CD...not = everyone can=20 get the stuff because of lack of access to a credit card...and no not = everyone's=20 parents has them either.  Its completely the sign of a = coorporations=20 interfering in even what we do for entertainment.  not emusic of = tmbg but=20 visa and mastercard and the companies behind them, not to mention the = computer=20 companies.  This is bringing the music out of people's hands, = whether you=20 people wanna believe it or not only 35 percent of American housholds = have a=20 PC.  (i had to do the research for a polisci paper) What happens to = johnny=20 with no computer and his parents dont have a credit card?  Should = he be=20 excluded because he is poor from buying an album?  He has the 14 = dollars=20 for the CD, but not the 300 for a minimum PC nor does his parents have = the=20 credit to get credit cards.  This may seem small to you, and = maybe I=20 am just being a PoliSci major about it, but things like this is = what widens=20 the class and economic gap.  So now only people with money for = a=20 computer could have gotten and experienced new tmbg songs for the = past 2-3=20 years?  So now TMBG is middle class or upper middle class=20 music?? Music shouldn't be hierarchical, its a classless=20 art form. I didn't buy the mp3s either..and I wont.  Its = a shame=20 when a 15 year old cant go to a record store with the money he saved = mowing=20 lawns and buy the lp or ep or his favorite bands... NO JOHNNY!! GET A = COMPUTER=20 AND GET A CREDIT CARD!!! ITS THE AMERICAN WAY!!
Chrissy (who will scream if = someone says=20 that people without computers dont listen to TMBG = anyway)
Did=20 you catch the part of this new deal that says that if you buy the mp3's, = you get=20 a free promotional CD of the same songs in the mail? So you get it = better than=20 the rest of us - you get to listen to the CD *without* having already = heard all=20 the songs on mp3. I think you can still qualify, they wouldn't have = already run=20 out of the things on the second day. Only one way to know - go, go,=20 go!

Spencer.
------=_NextPart_000_006E_01BFC016.F3672560-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 16:15:25 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id QAA25525 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 16:15:25 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from MailAndNews.com (MailAndNews.com [199.29.68.160]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id QAA25514 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 16:15:23 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from destin@mailandnews.com) Received: from mailandnews.com [38.193.193.48] (destin@mailandnews.com); Wed, 17 May 2000 16:15:12 -0400 X-WM-Posted-At: MailAndNews.com; Wed, 17 May 00 16:15:12 -0400 Message-ID: <3922FDC4.EAD17EBC@mailandnews.com> Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:15:00 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (Win98; I) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: Christina Rockwell CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3 elitism References: <007301bfc038$7cdca600$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="------------7FD6CDDD9A6470F52EE836E6" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Destin Berthelot --------------7FD6CDDD9A6470F52EE836E6 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit This type of discussion happened with LTW as well, and I'll make the same argument as I did then. TMBG has no record deal, as far as we know. They haven't the capability to mass-produce a CD of these or any other tracks right now. This is not elitism or corporate pressure that is forcing TMBG to shaft fans without credit cards or debit cards. It is simple necessity. If not for these mp3s, we'd have NOTHING new from TMBG. The last music we would've heard would be from severe tire damage. Is that unfair? No, that's how it used to be. But in 2000, there are brand new means of music distribution. Why not use them, and make 40% of the fanbase really happy, instead of making 100% of them wait 2-3 years between songs? TMBG isn't required by law to release everything they do, and without a record deal, they don't have the means to release doodly-squat. Emusic offered them a fat wad of cash and an opportunity to give a large portion of their fanbase access to tracks they wouldn't otherwise hear for years, if ever. TMBG probably pays for studio time, but eMusic is pushing their music harder and better than Elektra ever did, paying them well from all accounts, and getting great new stuff out to the fans. I don't see how you can possibly argue that this doesn't benefit the fanbase. To reiterate: NO ONE would be hearing Rest A While or On The Drag now if TMBG didn't have a deal with eMusic. Are you so selfish that you'd begrudge fans with a credit card (get a debit card, people) and net access the privilege of listening to new music by their favorite bands? It doesn't hurt you one bit for me to have my Working Undercover for the Man EP. It sucks that you can't get it, but that doesn't make TMBG evil or elitist. If they had the ability to put this in every record store in America right now, they would. They can't. Sit down and shut up. Music itself is, as you say, a classless art form. The distribution and format of music has NOTHING to do with art. Destin http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ Christina Rockwell wrote: > Does anyone understand that buying the mp3 album and getting the CD is > NOT the same as buying the CD...not everyone can get the stuff because > of lack of access to a credit card...and no not everyone's parents has > them either. Its completely the sign of a coorporations interfering > in even what we do for entertainment. not emusic of tmbg but visa and > mastercard and the companies behind them, not to mention the computer > companies. This is bringing the music out of people's hands, whether > you people wanna believe it or not only 35 percent of American > housholds have a PC. (i had to do the research for a polisci paper) > What happens to johnny with no computer and his parents dont have a > credit card? Should he be excluded because he is poor from buying an > album? He has the 14 dollars for the CD, but not the 300 for a > minimum PC nor does his parents have the credit to get credit cards. > This may seem small to you, and maybe I am just being a PoliSci major > about it, but things like this is what widens the class and economic > gap. So now only people with money for a computer could have gotten > and experienced new tmbg songs for the past 2-3 years? So now TMBG is > middle class or upper middle class music?? Music shouldn't be > hierarchical, its a classless art form. I didn't buy the mp3s > either..and I wont. Its a shame when a 15 year old cant go to a > record store with the money he saved mowing lawns and buy the lp or ep > or his favorite bands... NO JOHNNY!! GET A COMPUTER AND GET A CREDIT > CARD!!! ITS THE AMERICAN WAY!!Chrissy (who will scream if someone says > that people without computers dont listen to TMBG anyway) > Did you catch the part of this new deal that says that if you buy the > mp3's, you get a free promotional CD of the same songs in the mail? So > you get it better than the rest of us - you get to listen to the CD > *without* having already heard all the songs on mp3. I think you can > still qualify, they wouldn't have already run out of the things on the > second day. Only one way to know - go, go, go! > > Spencer. -- Destin Berthelot destin@bigfoot.com "The fourth dimension is just one big crazy do-not-enter clambake jungle of weirdity! And how does it work? Never mind!" -The Tick --------------7FD6CDDD9A6470F52EE836E6 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit This type of discussion happened with LTW as well, and I'll make the same argument as I did then.

TMBG has no record deal, as far as we know. They haven't the capability to mass-produce a CD of these or any other tracks right now. This is not elitism or corporate pressure that is forcing TMBG to shaft fans without credit cards or debit cards. It is simple necessity. If not for these mp3s, we'd have NOTHING new from TMBG. The last music we would've heard would be from severe tire damage. Is that unfair? No, that's how it used to be. But in 2000, there are brand new means of music distribution. Why not use them, and make 40% of the fanbase really happy, instead of making 100% of them wait 2-3 years between songs?

TMBG isn't required by law to release everything they do, and without a record deal, they don't have the means to release doodly-squat. Emusic offered them a fat wad of cash and an opportunity to give a large portion of their fanbase access to tracks they wouldn't otherwise hear for years, if ever. TMBG probably pays for studio time, but eMusic is pushing their music harder and better than Elektra ever did, paying them well from all accounts, and getting great new stuff out to the fans.

I don't see how you can possibly argue that this doesn't benefit the fanbase. To reiterate: NO ONE would be hearing Rest A While or On The Drag now if TMBG didn't have a deal with eMusic. Are you so selfish that you'd begrudge fans with a credit card (get a debit card, people) and net access the privilege of listening to new music by their favorite bands? It doesn't hurt you one bit for me to have my Working Undercover for the Man EP. It sucks that you can't get it, but that doesn't make TMBG evil or elitist. If they had the ability to put this in every record store in America right now, they would. They can't. Sit down and shut up.

Music itself is, as you say, a classless art form. The distribution and format of music has NOTHING to do with art.

Destin
http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/

Christina Rockwell wrote:

Does anyone understand that buying the mp3 album and getting the CD is NOT the same as buying the CD...not everyone can get the stuff because of lack of access to a credit card...and no not everyone's parents has them either.  Its completely the sign of a coorporations interfering in even what we do for entertainment.  not emusic of tmbg but visa and mastercard and the companies behind them, not to mention the computer companies.  This is bringing the music out of people's hands, whether you people wanna believe it or not only 35 percent of American housholds have a PC.  (i had to do the research for a polisci paper) What happens to johnny with no computer and his parents dont have a credit card?  Should he be excluded because he is poor from buying an album?  He has the 14 dollars for the CD, but not the 300 for a minimum PC nor does his parents have the credit to get credit cards.  This may seem small to you, and maybe I am just being a PoliSci major about it, but things like this is what widens the class and economic gap.  So now only people with money for a computer could have gotten and experienced new tmbg songs for the past 2-3 years?  So now TMBG is middle class or upper middle class music?? Music shouldn't be hierarchical, its a classless art form. I didn't buy the mp3s either..and I wont.  Its a shame when a 15 year old cant go to a record store with the money he saved mowing lawns and buy the lp or ep or his favorite bands... NO JOHNNY!! GET A COMPUTER AND GET A CREDIT CARD!!! ITS THE AMERICAN WAY!!Chrissy (who will scream if someone says that people without computers dont listen to TMBG anyway)
Did you catch the part of this new deal that says that if you buy the mp3's, you get a free promotional CD of the same songs in the mail? So you get it better than the rest of us - you get to listen to the CD *without* having already heard all the songs on mp3. I think you can still qualify, they wouldn't have already run out of the things on the second day. Only one way to know - go, go, go!

Spencer.

--
Destin Berthelot
destin@bigfoot.com

"The fourth dimension is just one big crazy do-not-enter clambake jungle of weirdity! And how does it work? Never mind!"  -The Tick
  --------------7FD6CDDD9A6470F52EE836E6-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 16:31:59 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id QAA26253 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 16:31:59 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f43.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.43]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id QAA26238 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 16:31:58 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: (qmail 4516 invoked by uid 0); 17 May 2000 20:31:27 -0000 Message-ID: <20000517203127.4515.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 172.129.255.181 by www.hotmail.com with HTTP; Wed, 17 May 2000 13:31:27 PDT X-Originating-IP: [172.129.255.181] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Today's Chat Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 20:31:27 GMT Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Erich: >I have taped the chat today so for those of you who missed out (Macs) or >those of you who forgot (silly bastards!) and for those of you who want to >hear the John's say their handle and gush (like Hooper-X who had about a >hundred of his answered and only one of mine without saying my handle) then >contact me and i'll work the details...now my thoughts. I'd like to hear a recording. I'd also like to see a text transcript, though. >Whenever the new album was mentioned I thought they seemd to avoid it a >bit...they'd say "...well we have our children album and the MintheM >soundtrack in the fall" is it just me or isnt there going to be a stuido >album this summer? I certainly hope there's going to be one. If there isn't, I'm going to be fairly pissed. Not sure about the object of my pissed-ness, though. I guess it isn't the Johns' fault that They can't find a good record deal. Maybe I'll just become bitter and cynical toward the world in general. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ Delay, delay, delay. Remember when the new album was going to be released in 1998? ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 16:34:56 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id QAA26439 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 16:34:56 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f233.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.233]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id QAA26428 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 16:34:54 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: (qmail 38453 invoked by uid 0); 17 May 2000 20:34:24 -0000 Message-ID: <20000517203424.38452.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 172.129.255.181 by www.hotmail.com with HTTP; Wed, 17 May 2000 13:34:24 PDT X-Originating-IP: [172.129.255.181] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Thoughts on the WUFTM deal... Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 20:34:24 GMT Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" K. C. Kless: >Rest A While: Why isn't this called the Rest A While ep? I wondered about this, too. Perhaps they just thought that "Working Undercover For The Man" made a better title, but "Rest Awhile" made a better opening track. I can't really say I disagree with this reasoning, but it's still kind of odd. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 16:35:32 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id QAA26530 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 16:35:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:35:32 -0400 (EDT) Received: from uta.marymt.edu (uta.marymt.edu [207.10.165.11]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id QAA26519 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 16:35:30 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from rockwell@mmc.marymt.edu) Received: from crockwell (birdh0use@[207.10.165.234]) by uta.marymt.edu (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id QAA02914 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 16:48:52 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from rockwell@mmc.marymt.edu) Message-ID: <009401bfc03f$135e8f20$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> From: "Christina Rockwell" To: Subject: TMBG: Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:32:52 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4029.2901 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4029.2901 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Christina Rockwell" because we have access to credit card and computers means we should have the songs other people cant have? Chrissy From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 16:47:05 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id QAA27093 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 16:47:05 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f18.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.18]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id QAA27082 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 16:47:03 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: (qmail 52384 invoked by uid 0); 17 May 2000 20:46:33 -0000 Message-ID: <20000517204633.52383.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 172.129.255.181 by www.hotmail.com with HTTP; Wed, 17 May 2000 13:46:33 PDT X-Originating-IP: [172.129.255.181] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: grumble grumble Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 20:46:33 GMT Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Okay, first off, does the subject line remind anyone else of "The Legend of Zelda"? Wasn't there a Molblin that stood in a room and said "grumble grumble" unless you fed him some meat? Oh, and remember that guy with the sword, who said, "Master using this and you can have it"? Does that make sense to anyone? Anyway... sarah: >i really wish they'd put out a friggin cd already instead of all >these mp3's. So do I. At least you get a CD with this one, though. >oh sure, call me a bitter luddite if you want, but this is >ridiculous. especially now, i'm glad i never downloaded 'long tall >weekend'... because my computer just died, and i have possibly lost >everything. not just mp3's and other files i downloaded, but also >software >i registered and paid for... everything, all lost. the computer can't >find >my hard drive. so now i'm on a computer that doesn't know what an mp3 is. I lost Long Tall Weekend in a hard drive crash. I don't really care about it for my own sake, since I have it burned to CD, and two more downloads in case I really want the MP3's (which I don't, at the moment). Computers are quite unstable, though, and they really need to work on making them more reliable BEFORE companies start identifying MP3 as the wave of the future in music. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 17:18:32 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id RAA28406 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 17:18:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from srv2.resnet.ohio-state.edu (srv2.resnet.ohio-state.edu [164.107.3.56]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id RAA28397 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 17:18:31 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from kocar.1@osu.edu) Received: (qmail 61578 invoked from network); 17 May 2000 21:18:30 -0000 Received: from rbra-91-224.resnet.ohio-state.edu (HELO osu.edu) (164.107.91.224) by srv2.resnet.ohio-state.edu with SMTP; 17 May 2000 21:18:30 -0000 Message-ID: <3923370A.A993A869@osu.edu> Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:19:27 -0700 From: Diana Kocar X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.06 [en] (Win98; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: TMBG List Subject: TMBG: WUFTM Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Diana Kocar I just got the new EP, and it rocks!!! Anyone know who the trumpet player is on Empy Bottle Collector? Being a trumpet player myself, I'm interested in that sort of thing... Diana From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 17:24:29 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id RAA28578 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 17:24:29 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from MailAndNews.com (MailAndNews.com [199.29.68.160]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id RAA28569 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 17:24:28 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from destin@mailandnews.com) Received: from mailandnews.com [38.193.193.48] (destin@mailandnews.com); Wed, 17 May 2000 17:24:17 -0400 X-WM-Posted-At: MailAndNews.com; Wed, 17 May 00 17:24:17 -0400 Message-ID: <39230DF0.8323416E@mailandnews.com> Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:24:01 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (Win98; I) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: Christina Rockwell CC: destin@bigfoot.com, tmbg-list Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3 elitism References: <007301bfc038$7cdca600$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> <3922FDC4.EAD17EBC@mailandnews.com> <008701bfc03e$e8b5d800$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="------------A52CE62302246171FFFC924F" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Destin Berthelot --------------A52CE62302246171FFFC924F Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Um, did you read the rest of my email? Are you just trying to start arguments? Where did you get the idea I was a "silver spooner?" I went to college on scholarships and loans, now I have a job. I work at that job to pay for my computer, loans, CDs, whatever. That's generally the way it works. I never had money as a kid, and my parents have been struggling financially since the early 80s. Don't presume to know about me. I just think you're being incredibly naive about all of this. Sure, it'd be great if John & John went door to door to all their fans' houses, giving away free CD box sets of everything they've ever done and will ever do in the future. You know, the new temporal anomaly CDs they're producing in Japan. Is that what you expect? I hope not. It's not going to happen. Am I ecstatic that this new stuff is released on mp3 only? No, it's of lesser audio quality than a CD, and I like artwork and mobility. I'm happy it's released AT ALL. Do you follow? I'll repeat: I'm happy it's released AT ALL. Without eMusic, without mp3, it WOULD NOT BE. No one's purposely trying to stick it to the poor. Like I said, if you can't get this EP, it sucks. But no one owes it to you. TMBG can do whatever they want with their music, and they're doing something with it that helps a LOT of fans get it, instead of sitting on it for three years. Your arguments are short-sighted and foolish. Here's an idea. Go into a compUSA, office depot or best buy. Find a demo PC that's connected to the web. Go to www.flamingoworld.com. Find the $10 emusic coupon. Use it to buy the EP from eMusic. No credit card needed. Don't download the mp3s. Give them your address. Complete the purchase, wait 3-4 weeks, and you'll have your free CD of the EP. Now calm down and stop complaining. Your negative attitude only pisses people off. Destin Christina Rockwell wrote: > this is such a funny question because that is what is being done to > people without it...on top of the other hardships that they have to > face. And don't you EVER EVER EVER tell me to sit down and shut > up...maybe if you weren't such a silver spooner you would realize > exactly the impact it cause...now go read the onion and make fun of > someone.. Are you so selfish that you'd begrudge fans with a credit > card (get a debit card, people) and net access the privilege of > listening to new music by their favorite bands? -- Destin Berthelot destin@bigfoot.com "The fourth dimension is just one big crazy do-not-enter clambake jungle of weirdity! And how does it work? Never mind!" -The Tick --------------A52CE62302246171FFFC924F Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Um, did you read the rest of my email? Are you just trying to start arguments? Where did you get the idea I was a "silver spooner?"  I went to college on scholarships and loans, now I have a job. I work at that job to pay for my computer, loans, CDs, whatever. That's generally the way it works. I never had money as a kid, and my parents have been struggling financially since the early 80s. Don't presume to know about me.

I just think you're being incredibly naive about all of this. Sure, it'd be great if John & John went door to door to all their fans' houses, giving away free CD box sets of everything they've ever done and will ever do in the future. You know, the new temporal anomaly CDs they're producing in Japan. Is that what you expect? I hope not. It's not going to happen. Am I ecstatic that this new stuff is released on mp3 only? No, it's of lesser audio quality than a CD, and I like artwork and mobility. I'm happy it's released AT ALL. Do you follow? I'll repeat: I'm happy it's released AT ALL. Without eMusic, without mp3, it WOULD NOT BE.

No one's purposely trying to stick it to the poor. Like I said, if you can't get this EP, it sucks. But no one owes it to you. TMBG can do whatever they want with their music, and they're doing something with it that helps a LOT of fans get it, instead of sitting on it for three years. Your arguments are short-sighted and foolish.

Here's an idea. Go into a compUSA, office depot or best buy. Find a demo PC that's connected to the web. Go to www.flamingoworld.com. Find the $10 emusic coupon. Use it to buy the EP from eMusic. No credit card needed. Don't download the mp3s. Give them your address. Complete the purchase, wait 3-4 weeks, and you'll have your free CD of the EP.

Now calm down and stop complaining. Your negative attitude only pisses people off.

Destin

this is such a funny question because that is what is being done to people without it...on top of the other hardships that they have to face.  And don't you EVER EVER EVER tell me to sit down and shut up...maybe if you weren't such a silver spooner you would realize exactly the impact it cause...now go read the onion and make fun of someone.. Are you so selfish that you'd begrudge fans with a credit card (get a debit card, people) and net access the privilege of listening to new music by their favorite bands?
--
Destin Berthelot
destin@bigfoot.com

"The fourth dimension is just one big crazy do-not-enter clambake jungle of weirdity! And how does it work? Never mind!"  -The Tick
  --------------A52CE62302246171FFFC924F-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 17:35:33 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id RAA29044 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 17:35:33 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from voproutemail.thevine.net (voproutemail.thevine.net [204.250.113.2]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id RAA29035 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 17:35:31 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from ggr@wlg.com) Received: from [204.118.61.3] (unverified [63.161.75.22]) by voproutemail.thevine.net (Vircom SMTPRS 4.2.181) with ESMTP id ; Wed, 17 May 2000 14:37:16 -0700 Received: from [204.118.61.96] by [204.118.61.3] with SMTP (QuickMail Pro Server for Mac 2.0.1); 17-May-2000 14:34:42 -0700 Date: 17 May 2000 14:35:48 -0800 Message-ID: <-1253548351ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: grumble grumble To: , X-Mailer: QuickMail Pro 2.0.3 (Mac) X-Priority: 3 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-Ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 8bit by ussenterprise.ufp.org id RAA29036 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Bongo On Thursday, July 6, 1939, LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: >i have a mastercard, but it doesn't even matter to me -- i'm not downloading >anything. i really wish they'd put out a friggin cd already instead of all >these mp3's. oh sure, call me a bitter luddite if you want, but this is >ridiculous. especially now, i'm glad i never downloaded 'long tall >weekend'... because my computer just died, and i have possibly lost >everything. not just mp3's and other files i downloaded, but also software >i registered and paid for... everything, all lost. the computer can't find >my hard drive. so now i'm on a computer that doesn't know >what an mp3 is. MP3s are certainly a pain. The ideal thing to do is to convert your MP3s to the format that CD players understand, then burn them to CD. I'd be doing that if I had a CD burner. Thats about the only way you can take your MP3s with you anywhere and still keep digital quality. (Unless you by one of those pricey MP3 walkman-thingies.) I downloaded WUFTM yesterday but I haven't listened to it because the amplifier that was connected to my Mac died recently and I don't want my first listen to be through the tiny, tinny sounding speaker on my computer. I'm going to record it to tape for now (till the CD comes.) If you downloaded LTW you wouldn't have really lost it when your computer crashed because emusic lets you download your purchased tracks up to three times. I think most downloadable pay software lets you re-download also. -B O N G O From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 18:03:42 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id SAA30139 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 18:03:42 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from windwardschool.org (mail.windwardschool.org [12.29.115.3]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id SAA30130 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 18:03:40 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from SOwen@windwardschool.org) Received: from GWDomain-Message_Server by windwardschool.org with Novell_GroupWise; Wed, 17 May 2000 15:07:28 -0700 Message-Id: X-Mailer: Novell GroupWise Internet Agent 5.5.2.1 Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:07:23 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" To: Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3 elitism Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Disposition: inline Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 8bit by ussenterprise.ufp.org id SAA30131 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Spencer Owen" ..I didn't say ANY of that. I was simply replying to one person who HAD a credit card that said they wouldn't buy it because they couldn't hear mp3s and they wanted a CD, just by saying that they would get a CD for the same price. Jesus, calm down. Spencer. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 18:09:26 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id SAA30458 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 18:09:26 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from scaup.prod.itd.earthlink.net (scaup.prod.itd.earthlink.net [207.217.121.49]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id SAA30446 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 18:09:25 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from kless@bgnet.bgsu.edu) Received: from 168.191.25.207 (sdn-ar-002ohclevP277.dialsprint.net [168.191.25.207]) by scaup.prod.itd.earthlink.net (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id PAA20764 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 15:09:18 -0700 (PDT) Message-ID: <39231874.4FE1@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 18:08:53 -0400 From: "K.C." X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.04 (Macintosh; I; 68K) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: mp3's and Rolling Stone Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "K.C." A few things: First, I'd like to point out that even though it may suck not to be able to get a real WUFTM ep by paying cash for it at a local record store, it isn't the end of the world. I don't like it much either. In the U.S., we have plenty of stuff to buy. If you're that mad at TMBG, buy someone else's record (Britney Spears, for example). You also have lots of rights in said democracy. One of them is not the right to everything you want the way you want it. If TMBG, or eMusic, or Mastercard, being capitalist in nature, want to only produce mp3 albums and only accept certain credit cards in return as payment, they can, and they will. It's not some great social injustice or anything. No obligation to the customer. U.S., not U.S.S.R. Second, did anyone else notice this on the Rollingstone.com trivia page? 10.True Or False - In the last ten years, Linnell was voted one of People's "Sexiest Men Alive"? A. True B. False They claimed the answer was A. True. Ummm...no. I've already emailed them about it explaining that technically they're wrong. He wasn't voted "sexiest", instead "most beautiful". We went over that with the Scott Cohen folks, didn't we? Keep it cool... -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 18:55:01 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id SAA32052 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 18:55:01 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id SAA32018 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Wed, 17 May 2000 18:54:51 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from GATEWAY by ussenterprise.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 18:06:26 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <8fv7vr$v8h$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: free $10 Emusic credit. Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Jay G." This was posted to the alt.music.tmbg newsgroup: If you go to www.flamingoworld.com and click on the 'coupons A-G' link, you'll find a link to a free $10 Emusic credit. all you have to do is start an account or login to your pre-existing one. Also, someone without a credit card in the newsgroup used it and claimed that they were never asked for CC info. For those who're too lazy to go through flamigoworld, the direct link is below. http://www.emusic.com/promo/roundcard/?http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click? bfmid=9613914&siteid=26595186 Now everyone should be able to get a copy. -Jay From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 19:18:54 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id TAA32979 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 19:18:54 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from uta.marymt.edu (uta.marymt.edu [207.10.165.11]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id TAA32969 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 19:18:50 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from rockwell@mmc.marymt.edu) Received: from crockwell (birdh0use@[207.10.165.234]) by uta.marymt.edu (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id TAA03417 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 19:32:12 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from rockwell@mmc.marymt.edu) Message-ID: <002b01bfc055$e3fc9e40$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> From: "Christina Rockwell" To: References: <007301bfc038$7cdca600$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> <3922FDC4.EAD17EBC@mailandnews.com> <008701bfc03e$e8b5d800$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> <39230DF0.8323416E@mailandnews.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3 elitism Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:16:10 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0028_01BFC034.5C000200" X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4029.2901 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4029.2901 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Christina Rockwell" This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0028_01BFC034.5C000200 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable if i send things to people off list i would like the replies kepts off = list...thank you=20 ------=_NextPart_000_0028_01BFC034.5C000200 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

if i send things to people = off list i=20 would like the replies kepts off list...thank you=20
------=_NextPart_000_0028_01BFC034.5C000200-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 19:38:08 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id TAA33659 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 19:38:08 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from burdell.cc.gatech.edu (root@burdell.cc.gatech.edu [130.207.3.207]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id TAA33650 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 19:38:07 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from thehangedman@death-star.com) Received: from oscar.cc.gatech.edu (root@oscar.cc.gatech.edu [130.207.107.12]) by burdell.cc.gatech.edu (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id TAA07500 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 19:38:06 -0400 (EDT) Received: from the-hanged-man (r42h119.res.gatech.edu [128.61.42.119]) by oscar.cc.gatech.edu (8.9.1/8.9.1) with SMTP id TAA12299 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 19:38:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <4.1.20000517192652.009e3e70@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> X-Sender: hangdman@oscar.cc.gatech.edu X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.1 Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:32:19 -0400 To: From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:32:52 -0400 In-Reply-To: <009401bfc03f$135e8f20$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: the hanged man At 04:35 PM 5/17/00 -0400, Christina Rockwell wrote: >because we have access to credit card and computers means we should have the >songs other people cant have? >Chrissy Yes. Its simple. I mean, just because i have access to $7.99, does that mean I should have access to songs that homeless bob can't? Yes. And no offense to bob, i feel sorry for the poor guy, but buying a CD preconditions not only having 7.99, but also a CD player. Since I have access to a CD player, does that mean that I should have access to music that Joey can't have, because all Joey has is an 8 track? Also yes... the whole MP3 thing lets TMBG release music that they wouldn't be able to release otherwise. Of course some people are going to be left out... but if they're smart about it and dedicated, they'll find a way to get it and record it to whatever medium they need it on. Peace, -thm- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 19:56:54 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id TAA34290 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 19:56:54 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from lh2.rdc1.tx.home.com (ioracle@ha2.rdc1.tx.home.com [24.4.0.67]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id TAA34280 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 19:56:53 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from destinb@home.com) Received: from home.com ([24.11.8.102]) by lh2.rdc1.tx.home.com (InterMail vM.4.01.02.00 201-229-116) with ESMTP id <20000517235651.BQD25186.lh2.rdc1.tx.home.com@home.com>; Wed, 17 May 2000 16:56:51 -0700 Message-ID: <3923319C.4AC359F0@home.com> Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 18:56:12 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.61 [en] (Win98; I) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: Christina Rockwell CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3 elitism References: <007301bfc038$7cdca600$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> <3922FDC4.EAD17EBC@mailandnews.com> <008701bfc03e$e8b5d800$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> <39230DF0.8323416E@mailandnews.com> <001801bfc055$74b47580$eaa50acf@marymt.edu> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="------------8E5164B075A5406E93585BC5" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Destin Berthelot --------------8E5164B075A5406E93585BC5 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Mmmm... too bad. I felt my reply might have some points that would affect other people on the list, and the inclusion of your email was important to show that you're an extremely pissy person with a huge chip on your shoulder. This was already evidenced by your diatribe response to Spencer, who was merely trying to offer help to people without a high-end PC. I think it's VERY important that everyone on the list sees that you DO NOT speak for the reasonable, sane, polite people who are upset about mp3-only releases. Your imbalanced message to me proved that. Destin Christina Rockwell wrote: > excuse me the email that i sent you was to you and not to the rest of > the list so please dont cc things.Chrissy --------------8E5164B075A5406E93585BC5 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Mmmm... too bad. I felt my reply might have some points that would affect other people on the list, and the inclusion of your email was important to show that you're an extremely pissy person with a huge chip on your shoulder. This was already evidenced by your diatribe response to Spencer, who was merely trying to offer help to people without a high-end PC. I think it's VERY important that everyone on the list sees that you DO NOT speak for the reasonable, sane, polite people who are upset about mp3-only releases. Your imbalanced message to me proved that.

Destin

excuse me the email that i sent you was to you and not to the rest of the list so please dont cc things.Chrissy
--------------8E5164B075A5406E93585BC5-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 20:23:48 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id UAA35472 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 20:23:48 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-d01.mx.aol.com (imo-d01.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.33]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id UAA35462 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 20:23:43 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from BonusALL@aol.com) From: BonusALL@aol.com Received: from BonusALL@aol.com by imo-d01.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v26.7.) id i.8e.530fa2d (4326) for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 20:23:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <8e.530fa2d.265491e8@aol.com> Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 20:23:04 EDT Subject: TMBG: Imbalance To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 100 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: BonusALL@aol.com I think that regardless of opinions if something is meant to be private it should be kept as such. I don't necessarily agree with what Christina was saying, but she did ask that you not post private correspondence to the list, and you did anyway. Destin looked as imbalanced and pissy as he is accusing Christina of being by not respecting her wishes and taking a flame war to the list that obviously Christina was trying to take off. Can we stop this right now, or are you going to call me imbalanced too, Destin? From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 20:42:36 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id UAA36277 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 20:42:36 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from lh2.rdc1.tx.home.com (ioracle@ha2.rdc1.tx.home.com [24.4.0.67]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id UAA36268 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 20:42:35 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from destinb@home.com) Received: from home.com ([24.11.8.102]) by lh2.rdc1.tx.home.com (InterMail vM.4.01.02.00 201-229-116) with ESMTP id <20000518004234.BNLX25186.lh2.rdc1.tx.home.com@home.com>; Wed, 17 May 2000 17:42:34 -0700 Message-ID: <39233C52.92DDB93A@home.com> Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:41:55 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.61 [en] (Win98; I) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: BonusALL@aol.com CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Imbalance References: <8e.530fa2d.265491e8@aol.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Destin Berthelot Not at all. Since she'd attacked Spencer and everyone else who was enjoying the mp3 album (which includes me), I thought it involved everyone. I wasn't trying to start a flame war, just show what she'd said in response to my post to the list. Upon reexamination of my original post, there were a couple of sentences that were harsher than I intended, but it was a response to a VERY angry post. I got a much angrier post back, and I wanted to bring it to people's attention... I probably shouldn't have responded the third time, but I was annoyed, and used poor judgement. I won't post any more of her email (I've been told if I do she'll "report me," whatever that means), and I'll post no more about this topic. Apologies to everyone else on the list. Destin BonusALL@aol.com wrote: > I think that regardless of opinions if something is meant to be private it > should be kept as such. I don't necessarily agree with what Christina was > saying, but she did ask that you not post private correspondence to the list, > and you did anyway. Destin looked as imbalanced and pissy as he is accusing > Christina of being by not respecting her wishes and taking a flame war to the > list that obviously Christina was trying to take off. Can we stop this right > now, or are you going to call me imbalanced too, Destin? -- Destin Berthelot destin@bigfoot.com "The fourth dimension is just one big crazy do-not-enter clambake jungle of weirdity! And how does it work? Never mind!" -The Tick From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 22:25:57 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id WAA40422 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 22:25:57 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-r17.mx.aol.com (imo-r17.mx.aol.com [152.163.225.71]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id WAA40413; Wed, 17 May 2000 22:25:55 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from MrBean43@aol.com) From: MrBean43@aol.com Received: from MrBean43@aol.com by imo-r17.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v26.7.) id i.8.5229f6a (14383); Wed, 17 May 2000 22:25:12 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <8.5229f6a.2654ae87@aol.com> Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 22:25:11 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: free $10 Emusic credit. To: Jay@tmbg.org, tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 5.0 for Windows sub 105 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: MrBean43@aol.com In a message dated 5/17/00 3:55:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Jay@tmbg.org writes: << http://www.emusic.com/promo/roundcard/?http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click? bfmid=9613914&siteid=26595186 >> Thanks! I probably won't even use this credit unless TMBG puts out another MP3 cd, but who cares. It's free money. Jon From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed May 17 23:36:54 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id XAA43020 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 17 May 2000 23:36:54 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-r16.mx.aol.com (imo-r16.mx.aol.com [152.163.225.70]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id XAA43011 for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 23:36:53 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from HeYAnArChY@aol.com) From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Received: from HeYAnArChY@aol.com by imo-r16.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v26.7.) id i.bf.342f2b9 (4595) for ; Wed, 17 May 2000 23:35:37 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 23:35:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3's and Rolling Stone To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 5.0 for Windows sub 106 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: HeYAnArChY@aol.com In a message dated 5/17/00 6:09:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kless@bgnet.bgsu.edu writes: > 10.True Or False - In the last ten years, Linnell was voted one of > People's "Sexiest Men Alive"? > A. True > B. False > They claimed the answer was A. True. Ummm...no. I've already emailed > them about it explaining that technically they're wrong. He wasn't voted > "sexiest", instead "most beautiful". We went over that with the Scott > Cohen folks, didn't we? Hey, if they say he's one of the sexiest men alive, well, folks, I'm not about to argue with them... *Grin* Lydia Est 1837 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #29-18 ******************************