Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #29-2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 29, Number 2 Tuesday, 2 May 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Fwd: Re: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. Re: Fwd: Re: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. TMBG: Don't Cross in the Middle of the Street Re: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. TMBG: Flansburgh is back at # 10 TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 TMBG: Cabrini College 5/5 TMBG: Re: Don't Cross in the Middle of the Street TMBG: Re: Re: Don't Cross in the Middle of the Street Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 Kinda NON-TMBG: Cabrini College 5/5 Re: Kinda NON-TMBG: Cabrini College 5/5 Re:TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 TMBG: Save time and Vote more! TMBG: Re:Save time and Vote more! TMBG: Email address for voicing your opinion TMBG: Some advice for voting TMBG: We're #9 !!!! Re: TMBG: Some advice for voting TMBG: No! TMBG: Don't get greedy. TMBG: #8!!!!! TMBG: And this is.. number eight! TMBG: Sharing is Caring! TMBG: Flansburgh gone again? Re: TMBG: Flansburgh gone again? Re: TMBG: Flansburgh gone again? TMBG: Definetley off the list... TMBG: Most Beautiful People Poll Re: TMBG: Definetley off the list... Re: TMBG: Definetley off the list... Re: TMBG: Definetley off the list... Re: TMBG: Definetley off the list... Re: TMBG: Definetley off the list... TMBG: John Flansburgh Re: TMBG: Definetley off the list... TMBG: WHO's not playing fair???? Re: TMBG: Definitely off the list... Re: TMBG: WHO's not playing fair???? Re: TMBG: WHO's not playing fair???? Re: TMBG: WHO's not playing fair???? TMBG: Mime-Version: 1.0 TMBG: "Your" poll with "Your" candidates? Re: TMBG: WHO's not playing fair???? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 03:15:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <200005010715.DAA94713@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20000501062753.00a817b0@mmc.marymt.edu> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 06:31:10 -0400 From: Christina Rockwell Subject: Fwd: Re: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. What it is that there were a lot of votes not made by cheating. There were a lot made by cheating. The only reason they looked into it was because it did NOT fit there mainstream definition of beautiful. If Sarah Michelle started climbing like that would people have noticed? I don't think writing these letters are rash. I know a lot of people online who refused to vote through bryces page. There are a lot of people who didn't know about the page. The letters are just from a point of view of a person who had no idea what was going on. I think writing the letters was a good idea. >You have a point. Still, it isn't the letter writing in and of itself >that I think is a bad idea, but rather the writing of letters that contain >unnecessary strong language (which will probably just be ignored), >misrepresent the facts (i.e., acting like Flans was taken off as part of >some hidden agenda, ignoring the fact that there was cheating involved), >and using ridiculous exaggeration (like the guy who claimed that a million >people would boycott People because of this). If someone wants to THINK >for a few hours, and THEN write a letter to People, that would be >fine. As anyone who knows me could tell you, I've done plenty of rash >things myself, and they rarely bring positive results. >-- >Eat your broccoli, >Nathan >DinnerBell@tmbg.org >http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > >________________________________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <390D92E7.4336@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 10:21:27 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. It sounded to me like they looked into it because they were robot votes. They have ways to tell those things, don't they? They know the time and ISP of origin for each vote. If you look at a list (which I'm thinking they did) and it reads the same ISP with a vote every 5 seconds, you're gonna think "that's a robot voter, let's throw them out" too. Of course, it didn't help Flans that the Cohen fans, etc. got upset and screamed at People. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ Date: 01 May 2000 08:19:50 -0800 Message-ID: <-1254953308ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Don't Cross in the Middle of the Street I suppose most of you have received the new email from emusic filled with TMBG news. (I would forward it to the list but I don't have it this computer.) Anyway, the Beautiful People Poll thing is dead but there's a new way for rabid fans to do something for Flans. The emusic newsletter says that he's searching for a children's record about crossing the street. They are asking us to help track it down. Anyone got any leads? -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 12:20:30 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8ekasf$7d1$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Argh. The whole Flansy-vote thing. Christina Rockwell wrote in message news:4.3.0.20000501062753.00a817b0@mmc.marymt.edu... > I know a lot of people online who refused > to vote through bryces page. There are a lot of people who didn't know > about the page. This is exactly why they would be wrong to completely disqualify Flans. And that is why he's popped back onto the official list, at #10, just now. Good work, everyone. Our dedication has paid off again. > The letters are just from a point of view of a person who > had no idea what was going on. I think writing the letters was a good idea. I think so too, I'll be writing one myself. (I'm also going to keep voting like a stubborn ass, even if they take him off again.) However, I agree with Nathan that rational, intelligent language will be more respected than an emotional outburst, and that the unexaggerated truth is enough justification on its own. Bryce ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 12:39:54 -0400 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8ekbs9$7rm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh is back at # 10 Flansburgh is back on the People list at #10. Let's hope he is on the list to stay this time. Wave the votes that the robots didn't make! - Jose ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 12:57:22 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8ekd1k$8fm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 I want to apologize to everyone on the list for what happened Friday. I don't think it would have happened if the voting page hadn't been so conspicuously effective. In the end, whether or not it was truly a robot isn't really as important as whether or not People magazine thinks it was a robot. I'm voting by hand, and sending People email to voice my support for Flans (calmly, rationally, and without accusation). I encourage everyone to do the same. Bryce Standing in between extinction in the cold and explosive radiating growth. ------------------------------ From: skarbez@epix.net Message-Id: <200005011709.NAA20503@bean.epix.net> Subject: TMBG: Cabrini College 5/5 Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 13:09:11 -0400 Can anyone send me some information on the Cabrini College show? I am interested in attending, but I haven't been able to find any information. Help would be appreciated. Kepler ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001f01bfb394$6e8c8da0$a600a8c0@icka.net> From: "The Bastard Snowman" Subject: TMBG: Re: Don't Cross in the Middle of the Street Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 11:41:07 -0600 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I used to have that record! Crap! If it's the one I'm thinking of, anyway. Had a yellow label, and one song on each side. Damn... I wonder if my parents still have it... Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my NEW AND IMPROVED web page... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ AND a MUSH, too... (Based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.) telnet://mush1.nis4u.com:4201 ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bongo" To: Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 10:19 AM Subject: TMBG: Don't Cross in the Middle of the Street > I suppose most of you have received the new email from emusic filled with TMBG news. (I would forward it to the list but I don't have it this computer.) > > Anyway, the Beautiful People Poll thing is dead but there's a new way for rabid fans to do something for Flans. The emusic newsletter says that he's searching for a children's record about crossing the street. They are asking us to help track it down. Anyone got any leads? > > -B O N G O > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002d01bfb395$36c5e0a0$a600a8c0@icka.net> From: "The Bastard Snowman" Subject: TMBG: Re: Re: Don't Cross in the Middle of the Street Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 11:46:43 -0600 Oh yeah... The record I'm thinking of, I believe was called, "Look Both Ways Before Crossing the Street." I /think/ that's the one they're looking for. Anyone else remember that record? Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my NEW AND IMPROVED web page... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ AND a MUSH, too... (Based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.) telnet://mush1.nis4u.com:4201 ----- Original Message ----- From: "The Bastard Snowman" To: Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 11:41 AM Subject: TMBG: Re: Don't Cross in the Middle of the Street > NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I used to have that record! Crap! If it's the one > I'm thinking of, anyway. Had a yellow label, and one song on each side. > Damn... I wonder if my parents still have it... > Signed, > Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico > > > And then there was my NEW AND IMPROVED web page... > http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ > > AND a MUSH, too... (Based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.) > telnet://mush1.nis4u.com:4201 > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Bongo" > To: > Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 10:19 AM > Subject: TMBG: Don't Cross in the Middle of the Street > > > > I suppose most of you have received the new email from emusic filled > with TMBG news. (I would forward it to the list but I don't have it this > computer.) > > > > Anyway, the Beautiful People Poll thing is dead but there's a new way > for rabid fans to do something for Flans. The emusic newsletter says that > he's searching for a children's record about crossing the street. They are > asking us to help track it down. Anyone got any leads? > > > > -B O N G O > > > > > > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20000501142609.00a8fdf0@mmc.marymt.edu> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 14:28:14 -0400 From: Christina Rockwell Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 I just really really really hope no one voted with the robot page. and I really really really hope that he doesn't get disqualified again...if he does however, i think we will have more ammunition to say that it was motivated by his standing in a tributary of the mainstream. At 12:57 PM 5/1/00, you wrote: >I want to apologize to everyone on the list for what happened Friday. I >don't think it would have happened if the voting page hadn't been so >conspicuously effective. In the end, whether or not it was truly a robot >isn't really as important as whether or not People magazine thinks it was a >robot. > >I'm voting by hand, and sending People email to voice my support for Flans >(calmly, rationally, and without accusation). I encourage everyone to do >the same. > >Bryce > Standing in between extinction in the cold and explosive radiating >growth. > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 14:36:27 -0400 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8ekimo$bmj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 Would somebody post an e-mail address for voicing your opinion on the issue to People Magazine? I'm really not sure exactly where to send the e-mail. Wave the votes that the robots didn't make! - Jose Christina Rockwell wrote in message <4.3.0.20000501142609.00a8fdf0@mmc.marymt.edu>... >I just really really really hope no one voted with the robot page. and I >really really really hope that he doesn't get disqualified again...if he >does however, i think we will have more ammunition to say that it was >motivated by his standing in a tributary of the mainstream. >At 12:57 PM 5/1/00, you wrote: >>I want to apologize to everyone on the list for what happened Friday. I >>don't think it would have happened if the voting page hadn't been so >>conspicuously effective. In the end, whether or not it was truly a robot >>isn't really as important as whether or not People magazine thinks it was a >>robot. >> >>I'm voting by hand, and sending People email to voice my support for Flans >>(calmly, rationally, and without accusation). I encourage everyone to do >>the same. >> >>Bryce >> Standing in between extinction in the cold and explosive radiating >>growth. >> > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20000501143637.00a91c00@mmc.marymt.edu> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 14:37:43 -0400 From: Christina Rockwell Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 I sent something to these three addresses and put the list address in the BCC which I would say everyone should do if they send the email they send to people to the list....that way people doesnt know you are doing it...and it doesnt look too shady people-webmaster@pathfinder.com, people-editor@pathfinder.com, editor@people.com At 02:36 PM 5/1/00, Jose wrote: >Would somebody post an e-mail address for voicing your opinion on the issue >to People Magazine? I'm really not sure exactly where to send the e-mail. > >Wave the votes that the robots didn't make! > > - Jose > > > >Christina Rockwell wrote in message ><4.3.0.20000501142609.00a8fdf0@mmc.marymt.edu>... > >I just really really really hope no one voted with the robot page. and I > >really really really hope that he doesn't get disqualified again...if he > >does however, i think we will have more ammunition to say that it was > >motivated by his standing in a tributary of the mainstream. > >At 12:57 PM 5/1/00, you wrote: > >>I want to apologize to everyone on the list for what happened Friday. I > >>don't think it would have happened if the voting page hadn't been so > >>conspicuously effective. In the end, whether or not it was truly a robot > >>isn't really as important as whether or not People magazine thinks it was >a > >>robot. > >> > >>I'm voting by hand, and sending People email to voice my support for Flans > >>(calmly, rationally, and without accusation). I encourage everyone to do > >>the same. > >> > >>Bryce > >> Standing in between extinction in the cold and explosive radiating > >>growth. > >> > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.20000501150651.009ab180@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 15:07:53 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 It occurs to me that now that i'm voting by hand, i can from time-to-time vote quicker than once every 5 seconds. will they think i'm a robot? :-P -thm- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20000501151313.00a9e240@mmc.marymt.edu> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 15:14:00 -0400 From: Christina Rockwell Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 Dont do it then i would say...and you cant vote like that for 24 hours straight like many of the votes from my ip... At 03:07 PM 5/1/00, you wrote: >It occurs to me that now that i'm voting by hand, i can from time-to-time >vote quicker than once every 5 seconds. will they think i'm a robot? :-P > >-thm- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 16:13:42 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8ekohp$fb2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 the hanged man wrote in message news:4.1.20000501150651.009ab180@oscar.cc.gatech.edu... > It occurs to me that now that i'm voting by hand, i can from time-to-time > vote quicker than once every 5 seconds. will they think i'm a robot? :-P Quite possibly. Any long-term, consistent voting could be suspected of having robotic origins, even if it doesn't. There's not really any way to be 100% certain that any given vote *didn't* come from a robot. - People's servers send cookies to identify each voter. That only works when your browser accepts cookies. Some browsers don't even use them. Are their votes invalid? - A bunch of votes come in from the same IP address. This is perfectly normal when one person votes repeatedly, or especially when that IP is an HTTP proxy server for a whole group of people who are voting repeatedly. It could also be the result of a robot. How do you tell? - A person sits at a computer and keeps hitting Reload on People's results page. It takes only three seconds between votes. Do those votes resemble a robot, enough to warrant discounting them? What's the cutoff point? - A person votes for hours on end, using their browser's Back button. It's not hard to do, you can carry on conversations or think about other things while doing it. When does this long voting session start to look like a robot? Only People Magazine can decide. They might base their decision on whether or not they would vote for the nominee in question. "Who's this Flansburgh, I've never heard of him, this can't be right..." If they do that, they go beyond "influencing" the poll, they are *directing* it. Bryce ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <9c.3502b59.263f43fc@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 16:33:00 EDT Subject: Kinda NON-TMBG: Cabrini College 5/5 Gee, it's too bad the show is May fifth. Cuz the planet are gonna line up (that's always bad), and the world's gonna end. Maybe alot of people will go, because it will be their last chance to see TMBG. "You do realize I'm being sarcastic. I'm joking!" Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 16:43:28 EDT Subject: Re: Kinda NON-TMBG: Cabrini College 5/5 Is there anyone else on this list planing to go to the may 5th show? I'm wondering if it will be a low attendance show...that would suck a lot. So, If you live nearby and don't have tickets, for god sakes, go get some! It should be a cool show. Cinco De Mayo and the day before Flansburgh's 40th B-Day. See-ya there. Jon ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0005019572.AA957214531@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 16:55:30 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Re: Flansburgh is back at # 10 Bryce (one of our favorite mammals) sez: >>I want to apologize to everyone on the list for what happened Friday. I >don't think it would have happened if the voting page hadn't been so >conspicuously effective. << This sounds a little like physics apologizing for Hiroshima, or biology apologizing for AIDS. Ya done sumthin Cool, Bryce, and we all had a blast and maybe even learned something, too. (Everyone go look up the word "hubris" in your dictionary, and discuss among yourselves...) If we overdid it and it crashed around our ears, that's all our faults. Probably all we need to do next time is not All of us sign on All day &/or All night. A little ebb & flow might have confused their radar. But for now, I'm gonna go vote by hand and be damn pleased with #10, or #9, knowing that its real. All hail Bryce! He had our blood pumping for awhile there! Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <65.3acf4a0.263f4c41@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 17:08:17 EDT Subject: TMBG: Save time and Vote more! If you're planning on voting during the last days of this vote, and you all should because we have a measley 6000 votes to get him up to number 5, don't waste your time hitting the back button and writing in flansburgh's name over and over, just tap F5 and the page will be refreshed. For some reason, the page is set to resend the information if you hit resend. I.E., every time you refresh, your vote is sent in again...more votes in less time! Try it out. And if you use AOL, simply tap F5; Spacebar over and over again. F5 refreshes the page and hitting space bar clears the message that pops up asking if you want to resend the info or not. I really think we can get him to number 5, and without cheating this time. Just 6000 more votes, lets do it! Jon ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0005019572.AA957216405@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 17:26:44 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re:Save time and Vote more! 241 more votes and Flansy's in #9. Without getting silly, lets get a quick flurry in while Angelina Jolie isn't looking..... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 17:34:49 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Email address for voicing your opinion Message-ID: <20000501.173452.-3794431.0.Crystaviel@juno.com> From: Crystaviel A Lockier editor@people.com (for the print edition, aka People Magazine only) people-editor@pathfinder.com (the editor of the website) people-webmaster@pathfinder.com. (the webmaster of the website) Crystaviel Once the Spring comes... ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 17:45:48 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Some advice for voting Message-ID: <20000501.174554.-3794431.1.Crystaviel@juno.com> From: Crystaviel A Lockier 1) Your average IP address changes from session to session. If you want to vote for an extended period of time, sign off and sign on again from time to time. If you have another ISP to sign on with, that's especially good. Vary. 2) On most browsers I've used so far, you should not vote, then click back, then vote. You should vote, then click back, and then RE-LOAD the voting page, and THEN vote again. 3) Stagger your votes. Don't simply vote, go back, vote, go back. Vote, go back, reload... do this a couple of times, and then go get a coke. Just don't be rhythmic. 4) Delete your cookies from your Temporary Internet Files folder at regular intervals. Like someone said, they use cookies. *If anyone needs help with how to delete their cookies, they can email me. Try not to email the list, because that would result in lots of emails about the same thing to the already sort of high-volume list. If anyone else thinks of some clever advice for clever and effective voting, please offer them up! Crystaviel Once the Spring comes... ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0005019572.AA957217706@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 17:48:24 -0400 Subject: TMBG: We're #9 !!!! Here We Go Again !!!!!!!! Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20000501174429.00a85dc0@mmc.marymt.edu> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 17:47:17 -0400 From: Christina Rockwell Subject: Re: TMBG: Some advice for voting Should the cookies matter since they said vote early and often? We just want it to look unrobotic... hmm i am begining to dislike this poll....not for you guys of course...just for the yuckiness that has happened...i will vote a couple of times an hour.. hehe you can technically fix the script on bryces page to make you vote every 13.5 minutes if you are leet enough and they wont see it HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH just kidding folks....i mean you can do it....but dont....thats wrong... :D Chrissy upstanding young lady At 05:45 PM 5/1/00, Crystaviel A Lockier wrote: >4) Delete your cookies from your Temporary Internet Files folder at >regular intervals. Like someone said, they use cookies. >*If anyone needs help with how to delete their cookies, they can email >me. Try not to email the list, because that would result in lots of >emails about the same thing to the already sort of high-volume list. >If anyone else thinks of some clever advice for clever and effective >voting, please offer them up! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001401bfb3bb$dd880b40$43de6420@cannon10> From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: No! Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 15:23:09 -0700 Hey all I've recently uploaded 7 original and unique score tracks from Malcolm in the Middle. I recorded them a loooong time ago from dialasong.com and have finally upped it to http://www.xooming.to/tmbgland/ right now i am upping the new dialasong 'No!' currently playing right now. I missed the Grocery Bag and Violin one. Anyone else get that? Erich ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 18:26:03 -0400 From: somebody Message-ID: <390E047B.98DE7023@duke.edu> Organization: Duke University Subject: TMBG: Don't get greedy. Stop robot voting now and do it the old fashioned way until the poll closes or else he'll get kicked off again. karinh@sterl.com wrote: > Here We Go Again !!!!!!!! > Karin H > ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.20000501183821.009b6100@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 18:39:19 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: TMBG: #8!!!!! Sweet... he's back at #8. I hope we're all voting legal-like now. I took the robot page down, so... i think we are just rockin' it. ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <39.47bae8f.263f63bb@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 18:48:27 EDT Subject: TMBG: And this is.. number eight! That's right, friends. As of... thirty-forty seconds ago, JF is #8 fer People's Beautiful Peeple, surpassing Mr. Linnell and this year's Most Beautiful Person That We Think Is Damned Purty So There, Julia Roberts. -ez0, she's an in-law of mine, actually... her uncle married my aunt. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 19:05:46 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Sharing is Caring! Message-ID: <20000501.190547.-3794431.2.Crystaviel@juno.com> From: Crystaviel A Lockier It's my considered opinion that Linnell should be the subject of the next poll project. Has this been discussed? Crystaviel Once the Spring comes... ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <9f.4bffeba.263f6ab2@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 19:18:10 EDT Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh gone again? Has Flansburgh been taken off the list again? This is what my computer screen is saying....i hope im mistaken. Jon ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.20000501191607.009b4cd0@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 19:16:23 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansburgh gone again? My screen agrees with you. Twice denied... At 07:18 PM 5/1/00 -0400, MrBean43@aol.com wrote: >Has Flansburgh been taken off the list again? This is what my computer >screen is saying....i hope im mistaken. > > Jon ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 19:28:16 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansburgh gone again? Message-ID: <20000501.192817.-3794431.3.Crystaviel@juno.com> From: Crystaviel A Lockier So NOW does anyone object to letter-writing? We've taken down the bots and played by their rules, and they've removed him again. On what, this time? Principle!? Use those addresses that Christina and I posted, people. And KEEP voting! Crystaviel Once the Spring comes... ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <37.4965ebc.263f6c4e@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 19:25:02 EDT Subject: TMBG: Definetley off the list... I thought something was wrong with my computer, but I stand corrected. Flansburgh has definetley been taken off the People Poll...again!!! This is ridiculous...we weren't even cheating this time. Jon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00cb01bfb3c6$392e5ee0$a600a8c0@icka.net> From: "The Bastard Snowman" Subject: TMBG: Most Beautiful People Poll Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 17:37:32 -0600 Hello. I'm just writing to ask a simple question. Why is it that, twice now, the man I've been voting for (early and often, as your website says) has now twice been removed from your online Most Beautiful People poll. I am, of course, speaking of John Flansburgh. No one surpassed the amount of votes he had (no one who wasn't already beating him, anyway), he just vanished. Poof. Gone. Why? This is the second time this has happened, and I would appreciate some sort of an answer. Simply because someone isn't mainstream doesn't mean they shouldnt' get a chance. Thanks, in advance, for your time. Signed, Nick Wolf [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 19:30:07 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Definetley off the list... In a message dated 5/1/00 7:28:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, MrBean43@aol.com writes: > I thought something was wrong with my computer, but I stand corrected. > Flansburgh has definetley been taken off the People Poll...again!!! > > This is ridiculous...we weren't even cheating this time. Of course, if we're hammering F5 or whatever and Flansy's gaining 50 something votes a minute, which he WAS when he hit #8, I was watching, it's gonna look sorta suspicious, especially since we're ALREADY under suspicion. Fuck People Magazine. I say we break out the goddamned robots again. :D Eventually, they'll get the hint. People like Flansy. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 19:41:58 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Definetley off the list... Message-ID: <20000501.194159.-3794431.5.Crystaviel@juno.com> From: Crystaviel A Lockier EmarZero wrote: > I say we break out the goddamned robots again. :D >Eventually, they'll get the hint. People like Flansy. I agree! Since playing fair obviously won't get us anywhere, let's just cheat and flood them. Actual individual efforts are obviously pointless. It's no one's fault but People Online, this time. So Bryce, what do you think? Crystaviel Once the Spring comes... ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <390E4231.5B427D38@osu.edu> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 19:49:22 -0700 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Definetley off the list... Uh...hello. People gave us another chance, which we obviously didn't deserve, and what do we do?? Go back and do the same exact thing again! I voted just once today--not repeatedly! Flans could have easily stayed at #10 had we played fair this time. Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <390E1838.7234@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 19:50:17 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Definetley off the list... More importantly than people liking Flansy, ROBOTS like Flansy. When will the robots get their voices heard? -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@icestorm.net ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00ed01bfb3c9$1ea213c0$a600a8c0@icka.net> From: "The Bastard Snowman" Subject: Re: TMBG: Definetley off the list... Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 17:58:16 -0600 First off, their website says to vote early and often. Secondly, we didn't cheat this time. I certainly didn't, anyway. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my NEW AND IMPROVED web page... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ AND a MUSH, too... (Based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.) telnet://mush1.nis4u.com:4201 ----- Original Message ----- From: "Diana Kocar" To: "TMBG List" Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 8:49 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: Definetley off the list... > Uh...hello. People gave us another chance, which we obviously didn't > deserve, and what do we do?? Go back and do the same exact thing again! I > voted just once today--not repeatedly! Flans could have easily stayed at > #10 had we played fair this time. > > > Diana > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 19:54:21 -0400 Subject: TMBG: John Flansburgh Message-ID: <20000501.195421.-3794431.6.Crystaviel@juno.com> From: Crystaviel A Lockier No bots were used in this second escalation of John Flansburgh to number 8 on the poll. All voting robots that I myself or any of my friends have heard of have been dismantled. I personally sat here along with many, many other people, watching as our individual votes counted up, just a few a minute though there are thousands of us out there. The only principle I can conclude you used in removing John Flansburgh from the poll again was bias. Pure bias. For fun or not, the way you have used your poll is totally unrespectable. A bunch of fourteen year olds can get online and vote twenty times an hour for Britney Spears, probably employing bots in doing so as well, though you assume that none were used just because millions of little girls love her. But we sit around and vote for John Flansburgh just for simple pleasure - for fun, as you claim this poll is - and you remove him. On the assumption that since he's *so* un-cosmopolitan, we MUST be using robots to bring him up to #8 on a national poll. Your actions show small-mindedness and bias and it is small-mindedness and bias that will be reflected into your publication. Amanda Highfield Crystaviel Once the Spring comes... ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <390E19AC.1C1B1493@mailandnews.com> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 18:56:28 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: Definetley off the list... I stayed out of the argument the first time they took him off (and I only voted once each time anyway), but, to be fair, this time there were no robots employed, and they followed the "vote early & often" instruction. The first time, should he have been removed? Probably, people were cheating like mofos. The second time? No, the voting pages were removed, so people were only voting, a lot, by hand. Diana Kocar wrote: > Uh...hello. People gave us another chance, which we obviously didn't > deserve, and what do we do?? Go back and do the same exact thing again! I > voted just once today--not repeatedly! Flans could have easily stayed at > #10 had we played fair this time. > > Diana -- Destin Berthelot destin@bigfoot.com "The fourth dimension is just one big crazy do-not-enter clambake jungle of weirdity! And how does it work? Never mind!" -The Tick ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 20:02:15 -0400 Subject: TMBG: WHO's not playing fair???? Message-ID: <20000501.200216.-3794431.7.Crystaviel@juno.com> From: Crystaviel A Lockier kocar.1@osu.edu wrote: > Uh...hello. People gave us another chance, which we obviously didn't > deserve, and what do we do?? Go back and do the same exact thing again! I > voted just once today--not repeatedly! Flans could have easily stayed at > #10 had we played fair this time. First... They did not GIVE us another chance, they just deleted Flans and left it to go from there, then deleted him again when they noticed him crawling back up the chart. Second... They say vote often. They do not say each person must vote once. They say only that you must not use a robot. We DID play fair this time. THEY didn't. They've shown that no matter how we play, even if a million people all sat down and voted for Flans one time today, they still wouldn't let him on the poll because they don't like him. And, because they're sure we're using robots. Well why don't you just guess how many bots are probably in use for the others. And you know we weren't using bots this time. Its just that the others are pop-culture enough for them, so they don't even look into the possibility. Nothing we do, fair or unfair, is going to keep Flans on that poll, so I say that whoever on this list has the skills to do so, just flood the bastards with votes. It's the only next step other than just stopping and forgetting about it, and that's just no fun!! Crystaviel Once the Spring comes... ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 20:09:53 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8el6ck$qef$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Definitely off the list... Bryce's Evil Twin wrote in message news:42327501.194159.-3794431.5.not.really@message.com ... > I think It doesn't really matter how we vote at this point, >because it looks like People will assume they're robot > votes even if they're not. Might as well do the crime if > we're going to do the time. > > Also, we could start donating our votes to Scott Cohen, > if you catch my drift. >:-) The proverbial kiss of death. > > Bryce's evil twin > Doing doughnuts on the neighbor's lawn. Personally, I think we should stick with Flans. I'm still voting. If you are too, be sure to refresh every time you go back to the form. Otherwise, you might miss it when/if they change some form parameters. Write emails! Write them from every account you have access to! Ask People to justify what they've done. Point out the hypocrisy of their claims on this page: http://people.aol.com/people/50most/2000/poll/faq.html Bryce Nice is better than mean. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <390E49F9.45F527F8@osu.edu> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 20:22:34 -0700 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: WHO's not playing fair???? Crystaviel A Lockier wrote: > They've shown that no matter how we play, even > if a million people all sat down and voted for Flans one time today, they > still wouldn't let him on the poll because they don't like him. I doubt they don't like him. I really doubt they have anything against Flans. Had we gone about this right, and he still got near the top of the poll, People probably would have been intrigued by this John Flansburgh character. However, it was obvious to them we used automatic/repeated voting methods, which are NOT fair votes. Plain and simple: more people know who Angelina Jolie is than John Flansburgh. Angelina will get more votes just because of that. Everyone is trying to make this into some kind of conspiracy against us, and it's not. I'd love to see John at the top of the chart, but there simply aren't enough of us to get him there. Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000502002603.21923.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: WHO's not playing fair???? Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 00:26:03 GMT Crystaviel: >Second... They say vote often. They do not say each person must vote >once. They say only that you must not use a robot. We DID play fair >this time. THEY didn't. They've shown that no matter how we play, even >if a million people all sat down and voted for Flans one time today, they >still wouldn't let him on the poll because they don't like him. > And, because they're sure we're using robots. Well why don't you just >guess how many bots are probably in use for the others. And you know we >weren't using bots this time. Its just that the others are pop-culture >enough for them, so they don't even look into the possibility. You know, I was thinking about this earlier today, and I thought that a possible way to test this theory would be for someone to write a script that votes for a more mainstream candidate (preferably one not already in the running), and then have someone else rat them out, and see if People does anything. If they don't, then you could bring up Flans. That's probably a pretty dumb idea, though. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <32.46f5144.263f7b92@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 20:30:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: WHO's not playing fair???? In a message dated 5/1/00 8:28:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > You know, I was thinking about this earlier today, and I thought that a > possible way to test this theory would be for someone to write a script that > > votes for a more mainstream candidate (preferably one not already in the > running), and then have someone else rat them out, and see if People does > anything. If they don't, then you could bring up Flans. I say go for it. Hm. Steve Buscemi, anyone? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.20000501201058.009b4ab0@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 20:25:47 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: TMBG: Mime-Version: 1.0 Dear People.com crew, I'd like to take issue with your handling of the People.com Online Most Beautiful People Poll. The first time John Flansburgh appeared on the poll, some overzealous fans including myself set up and used a webpage that automatically cast votes for Mr. Flansburgh. Now, we see that this violated the terms of your poll, and most of us decided that we'd try to go back in on the leveled playing field, and try to maybe bump him back up to 10 in the time before the poll was over. After spending massive amounts of time reloading and revoting, I've noticed he's been taking off the poll once again. Does he simply not fit your view of what is beautiful? You make the claims that "...we don't want to influence the results in any way. We want this to be your poll with your candidates." You also say that "you are free to use the write-in option to vote for whomever you would like, and that includes people who are beautiful inside." So why do you not allow Mr. Flansburgh to remain on your poll? We've certainly been voting often, but that's exactly what you've asked us to do. John Flansburgh is not only beautiful on the inside and outside, but he's a public figure in the realm of popular music (his bands They Might Be Giants and Mono Puff), TV (musical score for "Malcolm in the Middle" and ABC's "Brave New World"), and movies (music from "Austin Powers II" and "The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" to name a few). There is no way Mr. Flansburgh can be regarded as a prank.. he's obviously a public figure. So what's the problem? Thanks, Matt Brown (404) 206-0915 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 21:21:29 -0400 From: "Jose" Message-ID: <8elad7$suu$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: "Your" poll with "Your" candidates? To whom it may concern: Recently I became interested in your webpage when I discovered that you were again having your "Most Beautiful Person" online poll. If you'll recall, John Linnell, one half of the pop-duo They Might Be Giants, finished as the Number 9 most beautiful person of 1998. The fans of TMBG, a rather large and diverse internet population, have discussed the upcoming poll within our newsgroup and have been voting frequently in hopes of getting the other half of TMBG, Mr. John Flansburgh, into a spot in this years poll. After shooting up through the polls (as I understand it, do to robot voting) he was removed from the poll. After doing such, all scripts voting for Mr. Flansburgh that ANYONE in the newsgroup are familiar with were removed from their respective servers. A great number of people within the newsgroup decided that we would again cast our votes, this time as fairly as we knew how, and were delighted to find that we managed to vote him up to the Number 9 spot. Shortly thereafter, John Flansburgh was removed from your poll for some unknown reason. This reason is owed to the rather large fanbase of John Flansburgh, many of whom are avid readers of People Magazine and have spent a great deal of time casting their votes for who they believe to be a beautiful man. The information you provide about your poll states "you are free to use the write-in option to vote for whomever you would like, and that includes people who are beautiful inside", however, in our attempt to do just that we have been insulted by the repeated removal of our candidate. If you really want this to be "your [the people's] poll with your [the people's]candidates" as you claim, it seems that an explanation is in order for your repeated tampering with the online voting. Unless I receive reasonable reasons for the removal of John Flansburgh from your poll or he is reinstated to his previous position, I will personally make as much of the TMBG fanbase as possible aware of the bias and closed-mindedness of People Magazine. Furthermore, although I am not personally a subscriber to your publication, I will bring this oversight of justice to the attention of all of my friends and relatives, many of whom, I imagine, will cancel their subscriptions to your magazine. Thank you for your time, Thomas Close tclose@bgnet.bgsu.edu ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 19:20:15 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: WHO's not playing fair???? Message-ID: <20000501.192018.-414949.0.Garrett27@juno.com> << I say go for it. Hm. Steve Buscemi, anyone? >> If we wanted to be really evil and possibly get ourselves a bad image with a few people, we can all bot vote for Scott Cohen and see what happens :) Or if we want to be practical, Steve Buscemi would be perfect! Whatever we do, we should completely flood them with votes...Flans, Buscemi, Cohen...just gotta pick one. Of course we could always do another one on the list just to play with their heads a little. Garrett ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #29-2 *****************************