Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #30-20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 30, Number 20 Wednesday, 21 June 2000 Today's Topics: Re[2]: Re:TMBG: Re: The Mailing List Experience Re:TMBG: Linnell in CMJ New Music Monthly Re: TMBG: Linnell in CMJ New Music Monthly Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG on ESPN TMBG: Re: Trainspotting TMBG: Video on M2 TMBG: Re: Videos Re:TMBG: Video on M2 TMBG: Linnell in CMJ New Music Monthly Transcript TMBG: Missing Ring TMBG: Re: Missing Ring Re: TMBG: Missing Ring Re: TMBG: Missing Ring Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0006209615.AA961508901@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:48:16 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: Re:TMBG: Re: The Mailing List Experience >If you could see what was snipped, you would find it was a joke. One of >the things the original author said was how s/he hated people who quoted long > things only to say something stupid like "Me too." > Lighten up. > "The key to happiness is to aargh less." -Uhh, me << Alternatively: >Maybe you need to lighten up because i took the ARGH as a joke too << Chrissy: 1 Polaris: zip Yes, Virginia, there IS a sense of humor...... Actually, I thought it was hilarious. I was going to say "me three", but I figured that 19 people would beat me to it. Now everybody sit up straight & face front before I have to narc us all out to the list administrator for getting off-topic... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** (and btw, I live to aargh) ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0006209615.AA961509798@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:03:13 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Linnell in CMJ New Music Monthly The helpful lurker with the identity crisis sez: >> although I can't scan the picture, I can post a > transcipt if anyone wants me to. > > Back to lurking... > > ~~blue_j > ~~Bradley Gibson > ~~James LeVeque > ~Whatever you want. << I wouldn't mind seeing a transcript, if you can spare the time from your lurking duties. Thanks for the offer..... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: <8e.6a2f1e1.2680d73e@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:18:38 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell in CMJ New Music Monthly In a message dated 6/20/00 10:03:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time, karinh@sterl.com writes: << >> although I can't scan the picture, I can post a > transcipt if anyone wants me to. > >> I would love to see a transcript. Mike Stabile "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.2.7.0.20000620103639.00a94650@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:40:24 -0400 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG on ESPN >I'm not sure how that is a definite TMBG reference. SanFran was losing. >The commentator may have been pointing out that they weren't so "giant" >because they were losing. It sounds like it was more a feeble attempt to >be funny than anything else. >-A The boys of Moxy Fruvous said something about prosthetic foreheads at the concert in Cleveland last Thursday. Considering how common those are, I really doubt they got it from TMBG. :-) Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000620151412.62189.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Trainspotting Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:14:27 -0400 I betcha they did get it from TMBG. They know their overlap of fans and everything else. and frankly I dont see prosthetic foreheads being thought of by two different groups of poeple. let alone in the same circl. Too much coinicendce fo me. Chrissy > > > The boys of Moxy Fruvous said something about prosthetic foreheads at the > concert in Cleveland last Thursday. Considering how common those are, I > really doubt they got it from TMBG. :-) > > > Diana > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <5D8C1F2EC787D311AE05009027D5F5F0A14148@mtvny8.viacom.com> From: "Mullarkey, Kristen" Subject: TMBG: Video on M2 Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:49:42 -0400 Hey everyone, I just wanted to tell you all that on July 3 at the end of the 9am hour and again at the end of the 9pm hour a TMBG video will be played on M2. I work for MTV and I had asked to programmer to plug in my favorite pick for a video. The VJ will probably say why I picked TMBG (because their the best, of course). Just wanted to let you all know. Keepin' TMBG real. Kristen in NY ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000620155651.25587.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Matt _" Subject: TMBG: Re: Videos Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:56:51 EDT Just out of curiousity, what videos? -- Matt ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0006209615.AA961517837@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:17:12 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Video on M2 Not real up on MTV, so.... What's M2? Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: Video on M2 Author: "Mullarkey Kristen" Date: 06/20/00 11:49 AM Hey everyone, I just wanted to tell you all that on July 3 at the end of the 9am hour and again at the end of the 9pm hour a TMBG video will be played on M2. I work for MTV and I had asked to programmer to plug in my favorite pick for a video. The VJ will probably say why I picked TMBG (because their the best, of course). Just wanted to let you all know. Keepin' TMBG real. Kristen in NY ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000620214224.51494.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Bradley Gibson" Subject: TMBG: Linnell in CMJ New Music Monthly Transcript Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:43:45 -0700 Someone asked me for it, so here it is: IN MY LIFE SQUEEZE PLAY Photo: Kelley Myers Ever imagine there'd be a day when kids would headbang to an accordion solo, scratch the names of accordian players into bathroom-stall doors or dream about a wall of accordions? One day, they will. That is, if John Linnell's prediction of accordion dominance comes true. And he should know. He's been playing the bellowed box for more than 15 years in They Might Be Giants. "Obviously, it's not up there with the guitar, even now," Linnell allows. "Although, I guess the guitar is sort of fading in popularity, so maybe they'll both end up in the same museum of no-longer-cared-about things." Or perhaps accordions will end up in his New York apartment, which boasts an unknown multitude of them stashed away in various places. The Giant can name eight of them off the top of his head, counting the plastic toy accordion a fan sent him. Linnell's oldest is also the first one he bought, a bulky 1928 model made by the Walters company of New York."I've never considered myself a collector. In fact, some of them are in such bad condition that I've just sort of stuck them somewhere or given them away." They don't come cheap--an endorsement deal with Hohner only landed him half off a $3,000 instrument. "New accoridions cost prohibitivley much. That's probably one of the reasons nobody plays them." It's best to buy used, he advises. His current favorite is the miniature-key Gretsch, a flea market find he used on his recent State Songs (Zoe-Rounder) solo project. Linnell's always on the lookout for the perfect accordion, although he probably won't find one that meets his criteria: "I'd like to find one that was large but didn't weigh anything." >>>Patrick Rapa About the picture, I stand by my claim that it's not a good one. He's sitting on what looks like a white bed in the corner of an all dark-lit all-white room next to a window. He's in the middle of singing something and you can tell because the accordion is blurry and his mouth is wide open. But it looks like he was sitting on a hospital bed when all of the sudden, the photographer bursts in and snaps one pictutre of poor Linny petrified mid-sentence.... Of course... the more I look at... the more I look at him playing that red-orange Marinucci.... the more I feel a little.. umm.. (looks about).. nm. Btw, would anyone on this list be responsible for that li'l plastic accordion? ~~blue_j ~~Bradley Gibson ~~James LeVeque ~A wall of accordions would be his cup of tea. ------------------------------ From: Mbrosendale@cs.com Message-ID: <74.619c12.26814d3f@cs.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:42:07 EDT Subject: TMBG: Missing Ring I've noticed in my few months on this list that not much discussion is made of any personal issues of the Johns but I thought I'd throw this out - I noticed in the CMJ picture (and also on Conan a few weeks ago) that Linnell isn't wearing a wedding ring - is he no longer married? Hope I haven't crossed any lines of etiquette by asking such a "chick" questions but inquiring minds... Mary Beth ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000620231920.52491.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Missing Ring Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:19:54 -0400 I havent noticed it. Has he ever worn a ring though? Chrissy > I've noticed in my few months on this list that not much discussion is made > of any personal issues of the Johns but I thought I'd throw this out - I > noticed in the CMJ picture (and also on Conan a few weeks ago) that Linnell > isn't wearing a wedding ring - is he no longer married? Hope I haven't > crossed any lines of etiquette by asking such a "chick" questions but > inquiring minds... > > Mary Beth > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000621003820.22501.qmail@web205.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:38:20 -0700 (PDT) From: Nancy Shaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Missing Ring I managed to squish my way up to front-row-center at the April 28 MIT show They did here in Boston, and spent most of the concert gazing at Linnell (I was less than ten feet from him, after all), and observed that he was wearing a wedding ring. I own the video compilation, and I don't think he's wearing one in any of the videos. Maybe he's just not a ring person. Just for curiousity's sake (and because I'm sure others besides me are wondering), anyone know approximately when he got married? ~Nancy ===== YOU WILL GET NOTHING!!! __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send instant messages with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:22:34 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <395026EA.AE70ACA9@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Missing Ring That's funny. I was at the April 29 show in Binghamton and I noticed that neither of the John's had their weddinf bands on. Hmmmm. -A Nancy Shaffer wrote: > > I managed to squish my way up to front-row-center at > the April 28 MIT show They did here in Boston, and > spent most of the concert gazing at Linnell (I was > less than ten feet from him, after all), and observed > that he was wearing a wedding ring. > > I own the video compilation, and I don't think he's > wearing one in any of the videos. Maybe he's just not > a ring person. Just for curiousity's sake (and > because I'm sure others besides me are wondering), > anyone know approximately when he got married? > > ~Nancy > > ===== > YOU WILL GET NOTHING!!! > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Send instant messages with Yahoo! Messenger. > http://im.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #30-20 ******************************