Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #30-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 30, Number 27 Wednesday, 28 June 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: State songs Re: TMBG: Re:state songs TMBG: Re: St. Louis, MO Show??? Re: TMBG: Rare TMBG CD's in the DC Area TMBG: New show announced: Clinton, NY Re: TMBG: Dumb joke TMBG reference. TMBG: Weird Looks TMBG: Re: trainspotting Re: TMBG: fan appreciation TMBG: iowa Re: TMBG: fan appreciation TMBG: Re: iowa Re: TMBG: Re: iowa Re[2]: TMBG: Re: iowa Re[2]: TMBG: fan appreciation Re: TMBG: Re: iowa Re: TMBG: Weird Looks TMBG: Re: Re: iowa TMBG: Re: Re: iowa Re: TMBG: Weird Looks Re: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa Re: TMBG: Re:state songs Re: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa Re: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa Re: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa Re: TMBG: Re:state songs TMBG: AREA 51: Re: iowa Re: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa Re: TMBG: Dumb joke TMBG reference. TMBG: St. Louis Show Re: TMBG: fan appreciation Re: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa Re: TMBG: iowa Re: TMBG: Weird Looks TMBG: "just for fans" TMBG: Re: Returned mail: User unknown TMBG: TMBG on ZDTV Again TMBG: Re: iowa Re: TMBG: Weird Looks TMBG: THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS and the people under the stairs Re: TMBG: Re: iowa Re: TMBG: Weird Looks TMBG: just for fun TMBG: Area 51 (S4) and Roswell... Banghor, ME (was Re: TMBG: Re: iowa ) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <20000627063840.33725.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "*SUPER SPANGER*" Subject: TMBG: Re: State songs Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:38:39 EST Hey I also like Oregon and a few others after a few more listens. ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: pzickler@iris.mtvernon.wednet.edu Message-Id: Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:54:05 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:state songs > > >Why does no one seem to be a big fan of Idaho or Oregon? Those are >>hilarious. > >I like "Oregon," and "Idaho" has great lyrics, but I wonder if people tend >to ignore the latter because it's slow. I know it often takes me a while to >appreciate the slower numbers. > "Idaho" is both slow and quiet, contemplative. But dammit, any song with a car alarm in it that actually fits within the music CAN'T be the worst song on the album! And the lyrics! The idea of driving one's house to Idaho is miles above the level of imagination of any band on MTV. Think about it! I say there is no worst song on the album. Except maybe Illinois. Wait, which one is that? PZ looking around for the State Songs tape it's gotta be here somewhere p.s. The chord progression on "Oregon"! It just goes up by half steps in the bass line! Brilliant! Linnell for President! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:10:32 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8ja5jn$954$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: St. Louis, MO Show??? Yes, according to pollstar.com TMBG is playing Maryland Plaza in St. Louis, MO on 8/5/00. -Mike PAT ACQUISTO wrote in message news:001101bfdfaf$83de0660$bccdfe3f@oemcomputer... > A while ago someone mentioned wanting to go to the TMBG show in St. Louis > but I was unaware that there is one. Is there a St. Louis concert coming up > anytime soon that I don't know about; or did the person who posted it merely > confuse it with the Chicago show??? > > nick > ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:13:38 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Rare TMBG CD's in the DC Area Matt~ If you haven't checked already, I suggest checking Record & Tape Traders. I'm not sure if this is just a Baltimore area thing or DC too. Also, if you're willing to drive a little distance, check The Soundgarden in Fells Point, Baltimore. They have just about any CD that you'd want. Mike Stabile ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:27:45 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8jadl0$c34$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: New show announced: Clinton, NY Here are the current show listings from theymightbegiants.com: July 3 Chicago July 4 Salt Lake City August 5 St, Louis August 12 Engelwood, NJ Big Band August 19 Brooklyn NY Big Band September 16 Clinton, NY Hamilton College I'll be at both the big band shows, woohoo! -Mike ------------------------------ Date: 27 Jun 2000 07:47:49 -0800 Message-ID: <-1250030430ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Dumb joke TMBG reference. CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com wrote: >I was watching Rugrats with my siters and the little twin girl lil says that >if she was a dog she'd go sleep in the flowers ha ha ha... Coincidentally, I also found a reference to TMBG's "Sleeping in the Flowers" this weekend. It was in this really weird musical called "The Wizard of OZ". In it, this girl and her friends are running through a field of poppies which cause them to fall asleep in the flowers. Amazingly, the song came about 55 years after the movie. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: TheyMightBeTonberrys@scoom.8m.com Message-ID: <395915EC.8FC6B3FA@scoom.8m.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:00:28 -0700 Organization: Dragonet Designs Webpage Building Subject: TMBG: Weird Looks Kristy Norman wrote: >I've gotten some really strange looks at work > for the stuff I run around singing!! Namely, "PA," "I've Got a Match," and > "Don't Let's Start" (the song that got me obsessed...). > > Don't anyone beat me for being ignorant... I'm getting there, really I am > (any help is appreciated). Just ask my boyfriend, I've come a *long* way > since the day I fell for John F. at the show in Cabrini!!! > > Kristy I've gotten some pretty weird looks going around singing "Youth Culture Killed my Dog" and "Turn Around". "The Mammal Song" works pretty well too... "Time is a drug, too much of it kills you." -Terry Prachett (from the book, "Small Gods") ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:13:37 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <8jau6i$l5n$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: trainspotting Chrissy Rockwell wrote in message <20000626134429.78021.qmail@hotmail.com>... >http://www.salon.com/tech/col/rose/2000/02/04/napster_swap/index1.html >at the bottom of the page >"And now, excuse me, there are some rare They Might Be Giants tracks I want >to find and download." Actually, TMBG references (real or imagined) seem to come up a lot in the cyber pages of Salon.com. Sarah Vowell, one of Ira Glass's lackeys for This American Life, is a contributing writer for Salon and a big time TMBG fan. She always seems to interject some TMBG reference. Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:45:03 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <8jb01p$m51$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: fan appreciation Jill Tomamichel wrote in message <20000624091212.23478.qmail@hotmail.com>... >Sorry to sound ignorant, but did someone write that the Johns play a free >concert every year just for their fans? That is absolutely brilliant - I >used to just think they were great musicians who wrote the best lyrics of >any band in the world. But now they are much more than that. That is >brilliant. What great boys! True, the Johns are both "brilliant" and "great boys." But this would be completely independent of them giving a free concert each year just for their fans because, strictly speaking, they don't. It is true that they usually are involved in one or more "free" shows each year, but these are usually produced at someone else's expense (a radio station, or some municipal concern financed by local sponsors). The way these "free" shows usually work is that the headline act is usually paid a fee and lessor acts are asked to do the show for free (well, for exposure), or occasionally reimbursed for expenses. I've even heard of some cases (usually shows sponsored by radio stations) where the lessor acts are actually asked to kick in some money (!). Since TMBG are typically the headliners at the free shows that they participate in, I would guess that they are usually getting paid for their effort. There may be exceptions to this, and if so, the Celebrate Brooklyn thing would probably be a good candidate for Pro Bono work for the Johns (being Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love and all), but who knows. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "just for fans" but I don't think that documented TMBG fanhood (whatever that might be) has ever been a requirement for admittance to any TMBG concert ever. Then again, maybe I'm completely wrong. Perhaps they have a huge Fan Appreciation Concert each year and nobody tells me. That would be a not very nice thing to do. Besides, I'm sure that someone would spill the beans. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000627195147.43220.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kristy Norman" Subject: TMBG: iowa Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 19:51:47 GMT Iowa doesn't exist, even if there *is* a song about it. It's a governmental conspiracy, that Iowa... they just want you to *think* it's there. Now you know the truth. Kristy All hail Justin's Alien Kitten Goddess Angel-Princess of the Squirrels, the Universe and Everything ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:51:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: fan appreciation In a message dated 6/27/00 1:44:02 PM Mountain Daylight Time, pburge@acentech.com writes: > Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "just for fans" but I don't > think that documented TMBG fanhood (whatever that might be) has ever been a > requirement for admittance to any TMBG concert ever. things like that normally occur as "fan club gigs" where only members of a band's fan club (and sometimes their guests) can attend. i know of a few bands who do this (blur, suede, pulp), but to the best of my knowledge They never have. and then there are bands like u2, r.e.m. and pearl jam (listed like that in order of who did it first, 2nd, 3rd) who have given fan club members first priority for buying tickets to their shows. They will probably never do something like that, as they don't tend to play shows in venues that are seated.. jennifer "[sic]... music is so important but there's no point in deconstructing anything. At the end of the day, talking about music is like wanking about rain" - Alex James; Blur ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:04:38 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8jb1ae$n3h$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: iowa >Iowa doesn't exist, even if there *is* a song about it. It's a governmental >conspiracy, that Iowa... they just want you to *think* it's there. It's not even in the Midwest. It's really in Nevada's Area 51. ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <38.7d0f435.268a637a@aol.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:07:22 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: iowa But....but....I use to live in Iowa...I think? -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0006279621.AA962138561@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:42:33 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: iowa That's what they Want you to believe..... It's so much easier than remembering the giant hangar with the body cavity probe equipment. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: iowa Author: Date: 06/27/00 4:07 PM But....but....I use to live in Iowa...I think? -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0006279621.AA962139649@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:00:42 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: fan appreciation I have a feeling I started all this with my original babbling: >>Oooh, Fan Appreciation Night!! >We missed that last year cause we weren't on the list yet (All hail the List. List the all-powerful, List the merciful, List the >benevolent......) >I can't wait! Babble #1, Fan Appreciation Night, was my way of saying "Free Concert". Sounds pretty appreciative to me! Babble #2, about missing it cause we weren't on the list, didn't mean that only list members, or fans for that matter, could attend. It just meant that, TMBG not being hyped to death like most bands, we didn't hear about the concert til we read about how great it had been when we joined the list. Four Stinkin Days Too Late, for those who like a good kick in the head. My apologies for any confusion I may have inadvertently caused. I generally prefer the confusion I cause to be more, ummm.... advertent. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: fan appreciation Author: Date: 06/27/00 3:51 PM In a message dated 6/27/00 1:44:02 PM Mountain Daylight Time, pburge@acentech.com writes: > Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "just for fans" but I don't > think that documented TMBG fanhood (whatever that might be) has ever been a > requirement for admittance to any TMBG concert ever. things like that normally occur as "fan club gigs" where only members of a band's fan club (and sometimes their guests) can attend. i know of a few bands who do this (blur, suede, pulp), but to the best of my knowledge They never have. and then there are bands like u2, r.e.m. and pearl jam (listed like that in order of who did it first, 2nd, 3rd) who have given fan club members first priority for buying tickets to their shows. They will probably never do something like that, as they don't tend to play shows in venues that are seated.. jennifer "[sic]... music is so important but there's no point in deconstructing anything. At the end of the day, talking about music is like wanking about rain" - Alex James; Blur ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: <70.9a7f92.268a7720@aol.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:31:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: iowa and I do live in Iowa......? Harlan Muir DrSaxx@aol.com ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:36:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Looks I've got some weird looks when I into downtown city areas, start listening to "The Famous Polka", and cranking up the volume as loud as it goes. I'm sure there are many other songs I could use to get the same effect. I love watching all the heads turn in confusion :) - Pyro "They've had plenty of experience in the art of survival. Can you imagine living your whole life in a tribe of monkeys, with your very survival depending on them not finding out that you are a human, a superior being..." -Professor Cawston ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000627215038.82055.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:52:04 -0400 isnt that in New Mexico? Where is our Ambassador to NM? > >Iowa doesn't exist, even if there *is* a song about it. It's a > governmental > >conspiracy, that Iowa... they just want you to *think* it's there. > > It's not even in the Midwest. It's really in Nevada's Area 51. > > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:55:52 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8jb7r0$rbs$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa >isnt that in New Mexico? Where is our Ambassador to NM? >> >Iowa doesn't exist, even if there *is* a song about it. It's a >> governmental >> >conspiracy, that Iowa... they just want you to *think* it's there. >> >> It's not even in the Midwest. It's really in Nevada's Area 51. I'm no ambassador (though I'd like to be), but I'm fairly certain Area 51 is in Nevada. Perhaps you're thinking of Roswell, which is in New Mexico, which is where Ross Perot landed back in 1947... ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:56:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Looks (Smacks self in forehead) just to make a little more sense out of the last email I sent to the list the word "drive" should go between "I" and "into" in the first sentence. Sorry I Fucked Up The E-mail. - Pyro "They've had plenty of experience in the art of survival. Can you imagine living your whole life in a tribe of monkeys, with your very survival depending on them not finding out that you are a human, a superior being..." -Professor Cawston ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <9b.6f559c6.268a80f1@aol.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:13:05 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa In a message dated 6/27/00 3:51:59 PM Mountain Daylight Time, rockwellchr@hotmail.com writes: > isnt that in New Mexico? Where is our Ambassador to NM? i'mnot the ambassador to NM, but i do live here... and yes, area 51 is in new mexico..about 2 hours from where i am jennifer np *a kissed out red floatboat* cocteau twins "[sic]... music is so important but there's no point in deconstructing anything. At the end of the day, talking about music is like wanking about rain" - Alex James; Blur ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000627221651.82690.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:state songs Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:16:51 GMT Mike Stabile: >In a message dated 6/26/00 11:19:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, >j-lipton@nwu.edu writes: > ><< I remember someone saying they liked Arkansas because they play >euphonium. > I'm a euphonium player, too - but I was told that the Arkansas solo is a > French horn. Does anyone know the real truth? >> > >It may even be a Flugelhorn. Probably not, but just maybe a Flugelhorn or >a >Melophone. It's a French horn, people! Read the liner notes! -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:17:18 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8jb936$sf2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa No, I swear that Area 51 is in Nevada, somwhere close (but not too close) to Las Vegas. I've seen enough of those We're-Not-Alone-And-The-Government-Is-Covering-It-Up shows. Can somebody back me up? ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <69.6dd2e4a.268a8394@aol.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:24:20 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa In a message dated 6/27/00 4:21:12 PM Mountain Daylight Time, makebase@tmbg.cc writes: > No, I swear that Area 51 is in Nevada, somwhere close (but not too close) to > Las Vegas. I've seen enough of those > We're-Not-Alone-And-The-Government-Is-Covering-It-Up shows. Can somebody > back me up? i can, 'cause i've just done an internet search.. from: www.dreamlandresort.com "This is the new Online Gift Shop of the world-famous Little A'Le'Inn in Rachel, NV, in cooperation with the Dreamland Resort. In our online shop you find a wide variety of UFO, Alien and Area 51 merchandise, such as T-shirts, base caps, coffee mugs, mouse pads, Area 51 license plates and a lot more great gift ideas. We also carry a variety of books related to Area 51. " so there you go.. jennifer "[sic]... music is so important but there's no point in deconstructing anything. At the end of the day, talking about music is like wanking about rain" - Alex James; Blur ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:29:56 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8jb9qs$t40$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa Thanks. It's good to know I'm not crazy. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000627223140.56211.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:state songs Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:31:40 GMT PZickler: >The idea of driving >one's house to Idaho is miles above the level of imagination of any >band on MTV. Think about it! Well, it was based on a story about John Lennon, but I don't know if that story was really true. >I say there is no worst song on the album. Except maybe Illinois. >Wait, which one is that? It's the first song on the album. It's played entirely by the band organ, and has no lyrics. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000627223223.49343.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: AREA 51: Re: iowa Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:33:51 -0400 I was wrong...i didnt insist...i even asked it as a question so i will give it up to makebase http://www.ufomind.com/area51/ Chrissy ----- Original Message ----- From: "makebase" To: Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000 6:17 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa > No, I swear that Area 51 is in Nevada, somwhere close (but not too close) to > Las Vegas. I've seen enough of those > We're-Not-Alone-And-The-Government-Is-Covering-It-Up shows. Can somebody > back me up? > > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.2.7.0.20000627182948.00a9a3c0@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:31:02 -0400 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa >No, I swear that Area 51 is in Nevada, somwhere close (but not too close) to >Las Vegas. I've seen enough of those >We're-Not-Alone-And-The-Government-Is-Covering-It-Up shows. Can somebody >back me up? I thought Roswell and Area 51 were basically the same thing, in New Mexico. Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000627223317.14074.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Dumb joke TMBG reference. Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:33:16 GMT Bongo: > Coincidentally, I also found a reference to TMBG's "Sleeping in the >Flowers" this weekend. It was in this really weird musical called "The >Wizard of OZ". In it, this girl and her friends are running through a field >of poppies which cause them to fall asleep in the flowers. > > Amazingly, the song came about 55 years after the movie. And 94 years after the book, which probably wasn't the first instance of poppies causing sleep. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001d01bfe088$6a0d64e0$85cffe3f@oemcomputer> From: "PAT ACQUISTO" Subject: TMBG: St. Louis Show Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:36:01 -0500 Organization: Prodigy Internet Maryland and Euclid is in the Central West End in St. Louis just 2 blocks from my work, but there's no concert venues there. There's 3 restraunts and a 24 hour coffee shop called Coffee Cartel AKA the gay youth hostile on that corner. I suppose it is posible that there'll be a festival in the Central West End at that time and a stage will be set up on that corner, because there are various festivals that take place in that area but none that I know of. It is also possible that they are playing at The Chase Park Plaza up the street where "Weird Al" played a couple months ago on Lindell and Kingshighway. Who knows?? Thanks to everyone who responded. nick ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000627223603.25487.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: fan appreciation Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:36:03 GMT Yer Pal Paul: >Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "just for fans" but I don't >think that documented TMBG fanhood (whatever that might be) has ever been a >requirement for admittance to any TMBG concert ever. Actually, the Irving Plaza show that occurred on the same day as the release of Long Tall Weekend was called a "fan-only show," but I'm not sure how accurate that really was, since they were supposedly selling tickets at the door. >Besides, I'm sure that someone would spill the beans. Or, if you will, the shredded money from the confetti cannon. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:36:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re: iowa In a message dated 6/27/00 4:34:03 PM Mountain Daylight Time, kocar.1@osu.edu writes: > I thought Roswell and Area 51 were basically the same thing, in New Mexico that's what i thought, too..which is why i initially stated that area 51 was indeed in new mexico. just shows how much i pay attention to those "alien information" shows, eh? ;-) jennifer "[sic]... music is so important but there's no point in deconstructing anything. At the end of the day, talking about music is like wanking about rain" - Alex James; Blur ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000627223708.17653.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: iowa Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:37:08 GMT Kristy Norman: >Iowa doesn't exist, even if there *is* a song about it. It's a >governmental >conspiracy, that Iowa... they just want you to *think* it's there. But isn't that WYOMING, according to Garfield? -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:40:06 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Looks Once I was stuck in traffic with the car wiindows down, listening to my taped copy of Long Tall Weekend, and when I was singing along with Older, the guy in the car next to mine, who also had his windows down, looked at me funny for a second, then seemed amused when the "time.....is still marching on!" part came on. But for really strange looks, nothing beats singing along loudly to "On Earth, My Nina" :) Kay, thankful that TMBG can make traffic jams much more bearable ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000627224025.71448.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jill Tomamichel" Subject: TMBG: "just for fans" Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:40:25 PDT "just for fans" meaning for fans rather than, ahh, well, monetary rewards. Sorry to confuse everyone! ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <94.6533a56.268a8972@aol.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:49:22 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: Returned mail: User unknown In a message dated 6/27/00 5:45:59 PM EST, MAILER-DAEMON@aol.com writes: << Well, it was based on a story about John Lennon, but I don't know if that story was really true. >> I can't say for sure if that particular story is true, but we do know John Lennon did acid, and as a child of parents who used to do acid way back in the 60's, I can say that the story is *highly* possible! Kay ------------------------------ From: Mbrosendale@cs.com Message-ID: <7c.767bbe3.268a8a96@cs.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:54:14 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG on ZDTV Again Just to let everyone know that the interview with TMBG is again playing on ZDTV (for those who don't know what that is - I didn't until a few days ago - it's a channel on RealAudio Player). I just watched it a few minutes ago - it's worth checking out!! Mary Beth ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 20:23:22 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <3959457A.B794735E@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: iowa No, No...Maine doesn't exist. How many people here know someone who lives in Maine? I don't. None of my friends do. It's just not there. -A Kristy Norman wrote: > > Iowa doesn't exist, even if there *is* a song about it. It's a governmental > conspiracy, that Iowa... they just want you to *think* it's there. > > Now you know the truth. > > Kristy > > All hail Justin's > Alien Kitten Goddess Angel-Princess > of the Squirrels, the Universe and Everything > > ________________________________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <17.7768bfe.268aad05@aol.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:21:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Looks When I wanna be left alone I sing either "Dead" or "Exquisite Dead Guy", which really freaks out my co-workers at the Hospital. -"I see dead people", Kreadoubt "I was thinking, yah know during the Plague years, when members of the band would be missing" JL ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:13:19 EDT Subject: TMBG: THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS and the people under the stairs i paid SEVENTY FREAKIN DOLLARS for two tmbg chicago tickets! Whats up with the price hike? anyone know if THEY have some control how much their ticket prices cost? i mean tmbg are my favorite band and everything but SHEESH!! Also someone told me that the cheesy horror flick The People Under the Stairs has the song Ana Ng playing during the ending credits. Is there any truth to this? ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:20:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: iowa In a message dated 6/27/00 8:25:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, spruilla@epix.net writes: << No, No...Maine doesn't exist. How many people here know someone who lives in Maine? I don't. None of my friends do. It's just not there. -A >> Hey, I have family in Maine. Actually in Banghor, ME. Mike Stabile "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:22:07 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Looks In a message dated 6/27/00 5:38:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, BirdhouseIYS@aol.com writes: << I've got some weird looks when I into downtown city areas, start listening to "The Famous Polka", and cranking up the volume as loud as it goes. I'm sure there are many other songs I could use to get the same effect. I love watching all the heads turn in confusion :) - Pyro >> Another great song to do this too, is Particle Man. You'd be surprised at the people that don't even know who They are, but will start trying to sing along with it. I've done this many a time in Baltimore or DC. Mike Stabile "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000628035408.17410.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kristy Norman" Subject: TMBG: just for fun Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 03:54:08 GMT Anyone been to the movies lately? Justin and I got a kick out of the preview for the new "The Replacements" movie. hehe... they said "Hi, we're the replacements!" Granted, it was a football movie (one of those sickening "underdog" movies I love!) but still... and they sing in the locker room, this song... that TMBG based one of *their* songs on, and I totally forget the song. "Stayin Alive," maybe? Who knows, but it's really cool anyway. Just thought I'd throw that out there and see if anyone else noticed that if they went to the movies. Kristy All hail Justin's Alien Kitten Goddess Angel-Princess of the Squirrels, the Universe and Everything ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004301bfe0b5$2088c580$a600a8c0@icka.net> From: "The Bastard Snowman" Subject: TMBG: Area 51 (S4) and Roswell... Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:58:24 -0600 Area 51, a.k.a. Area S4 or Groom Lake is outside Nellis AFB in Nevada. Roswell, New Mexico is totally different. :0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my NEW AND IMPROVED web page... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/webcam.html (Webcam for those of you who have nothing better to do than stare at my mug all day.) AND a MUSH, too... (Based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.) telnet://mush1.nis4u.com:4201 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20000628003730.00a1bc30@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 00:38:15 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: Banghor, ME (was Re: TMBG: Re: iowa ) ><< No, No...Maine doesn't exist. How many people here know someone who > lives in Maine? I don't. None of my friends do. It's just not there. > -A >> > >Hey, I have family in Maine. Actually in Banghor, ME. Isn't that where Stephen King lives? -=Matt Brown=- GaTech cs/phys undergrad | web: http://thehangedman.digitaldriveway.com| "Every Day is a Good Day" email: thehangedman@death-star.com | -Zen Proverb AIM: THM42 ICQ: 10933909 | ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #30-27 ******************************