Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #31-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 31, Number 1 Saturday, 1 July 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re:stop complaining Re: TMBG: growl TMBG: Re: that guy TMBG: Re: that guy TMBG: Re: Re:stop complaining Re:TMBG: Re: Re:stop complaining TMBG: Re: Re:stop complaining TMBG: Hooray! They Play L.A.! TMBG: cool!! Re: TMBG: Hooray! They Play L.A.! Re: TMBG: Hooray! They Play L.A.! Re: TMBG: Re: Re:stop complaining TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #30-24 Re: TMBG: cool!! Re: TMBG: growl TMBG: Are the Johns always in NYC? TMBG: Ultimate Weird Looks Comment Re: TMBG: Are the Johns always in NYC? TMBG: Silly reference to WUFTM Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <20000630062059.81561.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "*SUPER SPANGER*" Subject: TMBG: Re:stop complaining Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:20:59 EST Stop complaining...The last time that they came here was 1996 {I think} and i wasn't even a fan then so... I have never seen them live and i dont like my chances SAM "This is where the party ends. I can't stand here listening to you and your racist friend" TMBG. ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: pzickler@iris.mtvernon.wednet.edu Message-Id: Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:35:49 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: growl Dr. Rick sez: > > >I don't know who the nields are, but I know their album name comes from >Firesign Theatre. Actually, even though the line "if you lived here you'd be home by now" occurs on Firesign's "How Can You Be in 2 Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All?" album, it doesn't necessarily mean that's the source for the Nields' use of the phrase. I've heard it quoted in other places, all of which were based on an actual advertising ploy used by certain Southern California condominiums to lure weary commuters who passed by every day on the freeways on their way back to the city. It's a great motto for the whole suburban sprawl thing that began in the '50's and continues to this day. But I still think it's cool that somebody else is a Firesign fan AND a TMBG fan! PZ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 05:45:52 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8jhq8e$uik$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: that guy William Allen White. To find out who is was, read the TMBG faq's question #15. http://www.tmbg.org/band-info/faq/ -Mike wrote in message news:54.5f10a94.268d6e76@aol.com... > does anyone know who the guy in pretty much all of the videos is (i.e. > puppet head, don't lets start, birdhouse(on the eyeglasses things) or is he > "that guy" that no one knows who he is? > > > Harlan Muir Self Proclaimed TMBG ambassador of "Iowa" > DrSaxx@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:42:02 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <395CB1BA.36078187@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: that guy William Allen White...haven't we been over this before? -acs DrSaxx@aol.com wrote: > > does anyone know who the guy in pretty much all of the videos is (i.e. > puppet head, don't lets start, birdhouse(on the eyeglasses things) or is he > "that guy" that no one knows who he is? > > Harlan Muir Self Proclaimed TMBG ambassador of "Iowa" > DrSaxx@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:47:18 +0200 From: "Lior Gallimidi" Message-ID: <8jibub$154l$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Re:stop complaining You stop complaining. they have never been here (Israel) and they probebly never will. hmmp "*SUPER SPANGER*" wrote in message news:20000630062059.81561.qmail@hotmail.com... > Stop complaining...The last time that they came here was 1996 {I think} and > i wasn't even a fan then so... I have never seen them live and i dont like > my chances > SAM -- ~Lior -------- "man, it's so messed up. The streets are filled with people fighting, and they're all on fire." ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0006309623.AA962377019@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:56:50 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Re: Re:stop complaining Hey, I think Lior has us all beat. Unless someone from Antarctica is here to represent.... but I don't think Adelie penguins are huge TMBG fans..... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** (Cool name, Lior !) ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: Re: Re:stop complaining Author: "Lior Gallimidi" Date: 06/30/00 5:47 PM You stop complaining. they have never been here (Israel) and they probebly never will. hmmp "*SUPER SPANGER*" wrote in message news:20000630062059.81561.qmail@hotmail.com... > Stop complaining...The last time that they came here was 1996 {I think} and > i wasn't even a fan then so... I have never seen them live and i dont like > my chances > SAM -- ~Lior -------- "man, it's so messed up. The streets are filled with people fighting, and they're all on fire." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:57:42 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8jiceu$15in$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Re:stop complaining >You stop complaining. they have never been here (Israel) and they probebly >never will. hmmp That's too bad. I hear that "Hebrew #3" is the best version yet. ------------------------------ Date: 30 Jun 2000 08:12:02 -0800 Message-ID: <-1249769777ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Hooray! They Play L.A.! Baby, check this out. I've got something to say... While flipping through the music section of the LA Weekly, I was delighted to see that TMBG are playing in SoCal July 20! I really should be looking for these things on the tmbg site but this is the first I've heard of this show. The bad news for those of you under 21 is that (as usual) its going to be at The House of Blues. Does anyone know if they are going to make any other SoCal appearances? -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000630170431.94521.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kristy Norman" Subject: TMBG: cool!! Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:04:30 GMT Nields fans here too!!! So, does anyone recognize this description... on the Nook the other day someone was talking about a silver car on the NJ turnpike with a Nields bumpersticker and a TMBG? It was around exit 7, I do believe they said, and with a white license plate, leading me to believe it was a NY car, but maybe I just have a one track NY mind. Anyone on here driving that car or know who it is? They were just curious. btw... who asked who the Nields are? If you want, you could check out http://www.nields.com/index2.html (their official website)... They're a folk-rock (ish) group composed of Narissa, Katryna, and David Nields, David Chalfant, and David Hower... you might like them, you might not, but I highly recommend them. Their lyrics are really powerful. Kristy All hail Justin's Alien Kitten Goddess Angel-Princess of the Squirrels, the Universe and Everything ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Karen Brittain) Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:15:53 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Hooray! They Play L.A.! Message-ID: <6887-395D0E09-8495@storefull-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-31099-4505 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Dammit! This is so unfair! Can't they play the Pantages or the Troubadour or something? Being under 21 sucks. Does anyone know if they're playing Vegas or anywhere else that's reasonably close enough for CA fans? Dexter Flansburgh http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb http://www.hello.to/Bootlegs (my tape trade page) --WebTV-Mail-31099-4505 Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Message/RFC822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Received: from mailsorter-102-2.bryant.webtv.net (209.240.198.99) by storefull-245.iap.bryant.webtv.net with WTV-SMTP; Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:12:34 -0700 (PDT) Received: by mailsorter-102-2.bryant.webtv.net (WebTV_Postfix) id 89DA2E069; Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:12:34 -0700 (PDT) Delivered-To: ghostkrabb@webtv.net Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (ussenterprise.ufp.org [208.185.25.40]) by mailsorter-102-2.bryant.webtv.net (WebTV_Postfix) with ESMTP id 24C2BE06A for ; Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:12:34 -0700 (PDT) Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id LAA38954; Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:11:01 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list) Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:11:01 -0400 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id LAA38938 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:11:01 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from voproutemail.thevine.net (voproutemail.thevine.net [204.250.113.2]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id LAA38929 for ; Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:11:00 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from ggr@wlg.com) Received: from [204.118.61.3] (unverified [63.161.75.22]) by voproutemail.thevine.net (Vircom SMTPRS 4.2.181) with ESMTP id for ; Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:10:54 -0700 Received: from [204.118.61.96] by [204.118.61.3] with SMTP (QuickMail Pro Server for Mac 2.0.1); 30-Jun-2000 08:10:19 -0700 Date: 30 Jun 2000 08:12:02 -0800 Message-ID: <-1249769777ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Hooray! They Play L.A.! To: X-Mailer: QuickMail Pro 2.0.3 (Mac) X-Priority: 3 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-Ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 8bit by ussenterprise.ufp.org id LAA38930 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Reply-To: Bongo Baby, check this out. I've got something to say... While flipping through the music section of the LA Weekly, I was delighted to see that TMBG are playing in SoCal July 20! I really should be looking for these things on the tmbg site but this is the first I've heard of this show. The bad news for those of you under 21 is that (as usual) its going to be at The House of Blues. Does anyone know if they are going to make any other SoCal appearances? -B O N G O --WebTV-Mail-31099-4505-- ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:48:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Hooray! They Play L.A.! OOOOOOOH!!!! i was wondering when/if they were going to be playing there.. and wouldn't you know it, the 20th is four days AFTER i move back to l.a... this is most excellent news, thank you for passing it on. now..where does one get tickets for this? ticketmaster? i have to send my friend out to get me one. "[sic]... music is so important but there's no point in deconstructing anything. At the end of the day, talking about music is like wanking about rain" - Alex James; Blur ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <62.4e2b25a.268e84fa@aol.com> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:19:22 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re:stop complaining In a message dated 6/30/00 10:50:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, litogal@netvision.net.il writes: << You stop complaining. they have never been here (Israel) and they probebly never will. hmmp >> Heh. Last time TMBG came near here, I was in Israel. It's just tough luck. "Kor'im li Doctor Worm. Boker tov, mah shlomcha, ani Doctor Worm" Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000630233108.89770.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "*SUPER SPANGER*" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #30-24 Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 09:31:08 EST Hi, I've got a question for all to ponder. If you had to put a soundtrack for your life together, what songs,TMBG of course, would you put on it and why? I'm not to sure of my own answer so I'll answer later. see ya SAMMY. "This is where the party ends. I can't stand here listening to you and your racist friend" TMBG. ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <395D40B1.E380E7D1@fruhead.com> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:52:01 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: cool!! Kristy Norman wrote: > Nields fans here too!!! So, does anyone recognize this description... on > the Nook the other day someone was talking about a silver car on the NJ > turnpike with a Nields bumpersticker and a TMBG? It was around exit 7, I do > believe they said, and with a white license plate, leading me to believe it > was a NY car, but maybe I just have a one track NY mind. Anyone on here > driving that car or know who it is? They were just curious. um, ok, I'll post it here, too. that was me. :) it was actually a Virginia car. :) -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "And I don't know whether I believe in me, but I still believe in my friends." -The Nields ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000701040247.46884.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: growl Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:02:47 GMT PZickler: >But I still think it's cool that somebody else is a Firesign fan AND >a TMBG fan! Aside from Weird Al, you mean? -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000701054019.73231.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Chris DeLaurentis" Subject: TMBG: Are the Johns always in NYC? Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 00:40:19 EST Am I the only one who remembers the Giant Locating System on the old webpage(before the flashy, (more precisely, Flash-y) one)? I only used it a few times, and every time, They were in New York eating sammiches. Did that thing move around at all, or did it always show Them eating sammiches in New York? Did they play so many NYC shows in order to keep the Giants locator reasonably accurate? Am i spelling sammiches correctly? "Count the legs, the arms and heads, and then divide by five" Frogurt ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000701054824.67231.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Chris DeLaurentis" Subject: TMBG: Ultimate Weird Looks Comment Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 00:48:23 EST I think I've figured out Battle for the Planet of the Apes- the audience shouts, alternatively, "ape ape ape" and "people, people, people." Put that in your CD player on the subway, and sing along really loud. Haha! "Count the legs, the arms and heads, and then divide by five" Frogurt ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <8e.72e670d.268ee07d@aol.com> Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 01:49:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Are the Johns always in NYC? << Am I the only one who remembers the Giant Locating System on the old webpage(before the flashy, (more precisely, Flash-y) one)? I only used it a few times, and every time, They were in New York eating sammiches. Did that thing move around at all, or did it always show Them eating sammiches in New York? Did they play so many NYC shows in order to keep the Giants locator reasonably accurate? Am i spelling sammiches correctly? >> No, you're not the only one! I remember at least three other scenes; one was either Linnell or Flans (or both) sleeping in a bus or van, I'm not sure which. The other was their faces inserted into a carnival (Mardi Gras?) crowd scene, and one was a picture of them inserted onto a beach scene so that it looked like they were walking on a beach somewhere. Does anyone remember any more? I also think they did move the red locator dot around a bit. Funny stuff, I wish they'd kept it up (and changed it more often!). Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000701055223.28711.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Chris DeLaurentis" Subject: TMBG: Silly reference to WUFTM Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 00:52:23 EST >I just spent all morning learning the basslines to Factory Showroom, >so I figured I might as well come out of the closet. You must be looking for someone who's been working hard, practicing, to sing and play guitar-- growing out his hair, and working on his stare. Sorry, can't help you. "Count the legs, the arms and heads, and then divide by five" Frogurt ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #31-1 *****************************