Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #31-18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 31, Number 18 Tuesday, 18 July 2000 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: third eye blind and TMBG Re: TMBG: third eye blind and TMBG Re: TMBG: Country/Rock Re: TMBG: Collecting CDs Re:TMBG: tmbg? POPULAR?? TMBG: Re: tmbg? POPULAR?? Re: TMBG: Six Degrees of TMBG TMBG: Where is that site?... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: <7a.7b64131.26a4709e@aol.com> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:22:22 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: third eye blind and TMBG In a message dated 7/17/00 12:34:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, PassatGuy2000@aol.com writes: << they could never play together, it would never work >> I know that they couldn't play together, but I was using at an example of how They could sell-out to gain more popularity. Not only Third Eye Blind, but bands like: Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox 20, Sugar Ray, and Everclear. Mike Stabile "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000717145710.61437.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: third eye blind and TMBG Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:58:07 -0400 tmbg played with everclear. before they "sold out" as you say though. ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 10:22 AM Subject: Re: TMBG: third eye blind and TMBG > In a message dated 7/17/00 12:34:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, > PassatGuy2000@aol.com writes: > > << they could never play together, it would never work >> > > I know that they couldn't play together, but I was using at an example of how > They could sell-out to gain more popularity. Not only Third Eye Blind, but > bands like: Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox 20, Sugar Ray, and Everclear. > > Mike Stabile > > "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, > someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there > on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin > ------------------------------ Date: 17 Jul 2000 08:27:48 -0800 Message-ID: <-1248300030ggr@wlg.com> From: Gary Subject: Re: TMBG: Country/Rock GhostKrabb@webtv.net wrote: >Donny: XTC vs. Adam Ant, Rat Patrol, (She Was A) Hotel Detective, Snail >Shell, Cyclops Rock, On The Drag > >Off the top of my head, those were the rockinest TMBG songs I could >think of. (She Was A) Hotel Detective seems to me to be their most traditional rock song. In fact I think its a little bit of a parody of that type of song. I could never remember which Hotel Detective has the parenthesis but I'm assuming "(She Was A) Hotel Detective" is the Pink album one, right? I remember when I first found the Back to Skull EP. I think it was a couple of months after JH came out but I wasn't on the Internet yet so I would check the "T" section everytime I went to the music store. One day I saw Back To Skull there and looked at the back to see what songs were on it. When I saw She Was A Hotel Detective (however its written) I assumed it was the same thing as the Pink album one. I wondered why they put that old song on it instead of something new. I figured they didn't have any other new songs finished. Then I was really surprised when it was different. The original is one of my lesser favorites but the Skull one is great. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007179638.AA963858225@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:23:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Collecting CDs Personally, I always appreciate being introduced to new ways to find nifty obscure tunes. I mean, Napster & d/ls & all this techno-magic currently floating around is cool, but there's something about originals. Funky cover art, maybe a lyric or two, and the feeling that, even if you'd never heard of the band when the album came out, somehow you were there. Kind of vicarious, retroactive coolness. Oh my God, I'm retroactively vicarious. Damn, I'm old...... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: Collecting CD's Author: "alanhooper" Date: 07/15/00 11:34 AM Sort of sorry for what follows I don't really want to start an advert for Esprit (http://eil.com), but I've always bought my "collectable" CD's from them and their service is excellent. If anyone is interested they have a service where they will email you everyday with an up to date list of TMBG items. Which is usefull as somethings are bought up the day they arrive in their stock. I've (in the past) bought LTW on CD which was good as I don't have a computer at home and or a CD Burner. Loads of their singles why does the sun shine? Back to Skull. But the only thing I can't seem to get is a video of their videos that would work on a UK player. Anyone know where there's one kicking about. AL - the sad CD collecting kid still in the corner all alone. ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007179638.AA963868054@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:07:28 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: tmbg? POPULAR?? Oooh oooh oooh, I've got it..... If They really were desperate for publicity, and the popularity enjoyed by Certain Boy-Bands We Could Name, this would do it - They appear as the house band for the series finale episode of Survivor. They have a desert-island style luau with all the original castmembers, with torches & coconut shell drinks, & rat-onna-stick, and TMBG plays Hawaiian tunes in the background. They could get some airtime when all the castmembers have a mass sand-dance, a la MTV. Then maybe that would blossom into a gig on Big Brother for the next few months. TMBG could be the band du jour among the vapid, inert sheep that are today's mass consumers! Hey, I think They might go for it..... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: tmbg? POPULAR?? Author: "Chris DeLaurentis" Date: 07/15/00 9:27 PM *SNIP* >Good luck hearing them on the radio then. Maybe if they did a song with >Britney Spears they'd get more airtime (terrible thought, I know--you can >shoot me now). right, well, aside from everyone shooting that guy... Sometimes I think, what if TMBG actually did a cheesy publicity stunt like that? What if They put out a collection of club mixes, remixed by Fatboy Slim? What if Flansburgh posed nude for Playgirl? Right, well, just to start a new topic of discussion, what are the worst things the Johns could do to sell out for easy media attention? Send in your wacky, off-the-wall suggestions! It'll be fuuuuuuuuuuuuu......n! "Count the legs, the arms and heads, and then divide by five" Frogurt (Chris) ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:19:07 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8l00kl$iku$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg? POPULAR?? Just to set the record straight, I was NOT suggesting that TMBG should team up with BS. I was just suggesting that they'd get more exposure that way. I loathe that little girl and wish I'd never heard of her. And now that I am sufficiently full of bullet holes, I will never speak of such blaspheme again. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000717230603.20861.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Six Degrees of TMBG Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:06:03 GMT Gegatron: >All of the music in Fight Club was created by the Dust Brothers (who >remixed >snail shell) and the song at the end was Where is my Mind (by the pixies >who >opened for tmbg) So Brad Pitt and Ed Norton are twice removed from TMBG. Did the Pixies ever open for TMBG? I thought it was just Frank Black who did. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:44:21 EDT Subject: TMBG: Where is that site?... Anyone happen to have the address to the LOL and FOF site? My computer had a grand crash awhile back w/ wiped out my favorite places and my TMBG folder... DrSaxx@aol.com TMBG Ambassador of "Iowa" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #31-18 ******************************