Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #31-2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 31, Number 2 Sunday, 2 July 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: WUFTM Line & HOB Sucks! Re: TMBG: Re: Re:stop complaining Re: TMBG: cool!! Re: TMBG: cool!! RE: TMBG: Cool TMBG: the Chicago show on Monday! :) TMBG: Concert in L.A. TMBG: Rock and Roll McDonalds TMBG: Re: Are the Johns always in NYC? Re: TMBG: fan appreciation Re: TMBG: Are the Johns always in NYC? Re: TMBG: cool!! Re: TMBG: cool!! TMBG: Cahoots chat Re: TMBG: Cahoots chat Re: TMBG: cool!! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <200007010715.DAA67407@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 01:16:53 -0700 Subject: TMBG: WUFTM Line & HOB Sucks! Message-ID: <20000701.011657.-223369.1.Garrett27@juno.com> >> growing out his hair, and working on his stare Did anyone else ever think this was a play on words, as it could be either "working on my stare" or "working on my Stair" referring to Stairway to Heaven, which is sort of stereotyped to be a "must" for someone learning guitar? That was a long tall sentence. Thanks, Garrett PS House of Blues can suck it! ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 19:10:25 +0200 From: "Lior Gallimidi" Message-ID: <8jl540$2e58$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re:stop complaining wrote > > "Kor'im li Doctor Worm. Boker tov, mah shlomcha, ani Doctor Worm" NIce. guess this song "yom e'had ima tamut va ani ekabel et hakesef" -- ~Lior (it is a nice name, no?) -------- "man, it's so messed up. The streets are filled with people fighting, and they're all on fire." ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 12:20:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: cool!! In a message dated 6/30/00 8:50:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, zaph@fruhead.com writes: > Kristy Norman wrote: > > > Nields fans here too!!! So, does anyone recognize this description... on > > the Nook the other day someone was talking about a silver car on the NJ > > turnpike with a Nields bumpersticker and a TMBG? It was around exit 7, I > do > > believe they said, and with a white license plate, leading me to believe > it > > was a NY car, but maybe I just have a one track NY mind. Anyone on here > > driving that car or know who it is? They were just curious. > > um, ok, I'll post it here, too. that was me. :) > > it was actually a Virginia car. :) I saw that car not too long ago. It was parked at the Clearwater Festival where the Nields and Moxy Frouvous were playing. My red Mercury Sable was parked a few cars down from that with both TMBG stickers and the 3 Skull window stickers on the back window. Also when I was driving on I-90 in Albany, NY I saw a black car with a TMBG bumper sticker on it. And there is yet another sighting. Someone is driving around my old Chevy Cavalier with both bumperstickers still on it. And just for the hell of it my friend just got a new car and put two TMBG stickers and a You were Spiraling sticker on it. Sorry if I can't spell before I've had my morning Coffee at 12:30 in the afternoon. - Pyro "They've had plenty of experience in the art of survival. Can you imagine living your whole life in a tribe of monkeys, with your very survival depending on them not finding out that you are a human, a superior being..." -Professor Cawston ------------------------------ Message-ID: <395E2573.19B2C00D@fruhead.com> Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 13:08:03 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: cool!! BirdhouseIYS@aol.com wrote: > I saw that car not too long ago. It was parked at the Clearwater Festival > where the Nields and Moxy Frouvous were playing. My red Mercury Sable was indeed it was. :) look for future sightings at the Kennedy Center tonight, somewhere in Westport, CT on Saturday, July 15, King of Prussia, PA on Sunday, July 16, and at the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival July 21-23. :) > parked a few cars down from that with both TMBG stickers and the 3 Skull > window stickers on the back window. Also when I was driving on I-90 in I think I remember seeing that one... > both bumperstickers still on it. And just for the hell of it my friend just > got a new car and put two TMBG stickers and a You were Spiraling sticker on > it. oh cool, YWS has stickers? I've gotta get one of those. :) -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "And I don't know whether I believe in me, but I still believe in my friends." -The Nields ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000701184408.40516.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Justin McElroy" Subject: RE: TMBG: Cool Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 14:44:08 EDT If anybody sees a blue '92 Cutlass With Both the Black and The Coffee cup TMBG bumper sticker on it, it belongs to me. A helpful hint for finding it is to find the venue, then walk 20 blocks away, because I'm terrible with directions and always have to drive 300 miles to see any bands I like. And if you see a lost-looking 19 yr old, male with the Severe Tire Damage shirt on and Wesley Willis coming out of his car speakers...that's me. So help me find the concert okay? Or else I'll just end up quitting and eating Skyline Chili all night. (Only applies when in Cincinnati. By the by did anyone go to the Fruvous show in Cinci this June? I was there and "The Depeche Mode Jam" really knocked my socks off. Lovingly, America's Dad (Now that Ed Asner is off TV) Justin McElroy ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000701191856.25016.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Samantha Skinner" Subject: TMBG: the Chicago show on Monday! :) Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 19:18:56 GMT Hi everyone ... I'm going to the TMBG show on Monday and I just bought my tickets today. If you see some girl trying to storm the stage, that's me. I'm in row P ... unfortunately. If any of you have two extra tickets, I'll be willing to gank them. ;) Hope you all have fun! -Samantha, so far back, I can't see ya ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 15:33:53 EDT Subject: TMBG: Concert in L.A. as it turns out, i do not have a credit card, so can not buy my tickets online. i also do not live in l.a. at the moment, so can't just go to a ticketmaster outlet and get one that way, either. is there ANYone in the l.a. area who could get me a ticket for the show? (july 20th, house of blues, hollywood). i will be in l.a. on the 17th of july and can meet you and pay you any time thereafter. please, someone help out a fellow fan. i have to see them...it's been too long (almost 2 years). jennifer "[sic]... music is so important but there's no point in deconstructing anything. At the end of the day, talking about music is like wanking about rain" - Alex James; Blur ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000701220749.62027.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Justin McElroy" Subject: TMBG: Rock and Roll McDonalds Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 18:07:49 EDT Well, I've gotten a lot of mail so I guess I should bring it up. Has anyone out there heard of Wesley Willis. He reminds me of TMBG if TMBG was a 6'4, 350 lb. scitzophrenic. So....anybody? ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 19:43:19 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8jlvmj$2oe9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Are the Johns always in NYC? At least once they had it saying they were on the west coast and the picture was them standing on a beach, in suits. There were also a few other images you could see if you looked in the graphics source directory.. I think there was one of them in a car but that's all I remember. -Mike Chris DeLaurentis wrote in message news:20000701054019.73231.qmail@hotmail.com... > Am I the only one who remembers the Giant Locating System on the old > webpage(before the flashy, (more precisely, Flash-y) one)? I only used it a > few times, and every time, They were in New York eating sammiches. Did that > thing move around at all, or did it always show Them eating sammiches in New > York? Did they play so many NYC shows in order to keep the Giants locator > reasonably accurate? Am i spelling sammiches correctly? > > "Count the legs, the arms and heads, and then divide by five" > Frogurt > ________________________________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 19:45:37 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8jlvqt$2oh5$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: fan appreciation No, they were not selling tickets but they did have some extra free tickets available for people that showed up without tickets. -Mike > Actually, the Irving Plaza show that occurred on the same day as the release > of Long Tall Weekend was called a "fan-only show," but I'm not sure how > accurate that really was, since they were supposedly selling tickets at the > door. ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 19:53:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Are the Johns always in NYC? In a message dated 7/1/00 1:50:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Kaylum@aol.com writes: << << Am I the only one who remembers the Giant Locating System on the old webpage(before the flashy, (more precisely, Flash-y) one)? I only used it a few times, and every time, They were in New York eating sammiches. Did that thing move around at all, or did it always show Them eating sammiches in New York? Did they play so many NYC shows in order to keep the Giants locator reasonably accurate? Am i spelling sammiches correctly? >> >> << No, you're not the only one! I remember at least three other scenes; one was either Linnell or Flans (or both) sleeping in a bus or van, I'm not sure which. The other was their faces inserted into a carnival (Mardi Gras?) crowd scene, and one was a picture of them inserted onto a beach scene so that it looked like they were walking on a beach somewhere. Does anyone remember any more? I also think they did move the red locator dot around a bit. Funny stuff, I wish they'd kept it up (and changed it more often!). >> I only saw the "sammiches" one. "Anachnu y'cholim liyshon bap'rakhim!" Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 19:57:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: cool!! In a message dated 7/1/00 12:20:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, BirdhouseIYS@aol.com writes: << Also when I was driving on I-90 in Albany, NY I saw a black car with a TMBG bumper sticker on it. And there is yet another sighting. Someone is driving around my old Chevy Cavalier with both bumperstickers still on it. >> Damn. I lived in Albany for ten frickin years and never saw thses. Missed it. Also, this may be too offtopic (and mainstream) for this list, but lately I've been listening to alot of Smash Mouth, Wallflowers and No Doubt. I'm stuck in 1997. "Along with Shlomo Gronitch." Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Imaginary Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000702002231.49897.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: cool!! Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 20:24:49 -0400 People worry too much about whether things are mainstream or not. Like ohmigod if you like something that gets PLAYED on the radio on a station with commericals you must sell all your cds at once! Chrissy If you have something to sell, by all means sell out. (not that i believe that but that seems to be the quote on the elvis costello list when people talk about whether he sold out or not) > > Also, this may be too offtopic (and mainstream) for this list, but lately > I've been listening to alot of Smash Mouth, Wallflowers and No Doubt. I'm > stuck in 1997. > > "Along with Shlomo Gronitch." > Dr. Rick Worm > Chief of Imaginary Staff > The Worm Clinic > Shaker Heights, Ohio > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000702011717.78678.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Cahoots chat Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 01:17:17 GMT I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I didn't really take note of it. Is there a transcript and/or a recording of the Cahoots chat avaiable anywhere on the Internet? -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 21:19:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Cahoots chat www.twistid.com Look for the tmbg section, natch Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 23:52:54 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <395EBC96.33D0D7C4@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: cool!! I have a grey car with a TMBG bumper sticker. -acs CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 7/1/00 12:20:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, > BirdhouseIYS@aol.com writes: > > << Also when I was driving on I-90 in > Albany, NY I saw a black car with a TMBG bumper sticker on it. And there is > yet another sighting. Someone is driving around my old Chevy Cavalier with > both bumperstickers still on it. >> > > Damn. I lived in Albany for ten frickin years and never saw thses. Missed it. > > Also, this may be too offtopic (and mainstream) for this list, but lately > I've been listening to alot of Smash Mouth, Wallflowers and No Doubt. I'm > stuck in 1997. > > "Along with Shlomo Gronitch." > Dr. Rick Worm > Chief of Imaginary Staff > The Worm Clinic > Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #31-2 *****************************